Duke4.net Forums: System Shock: Enhanced Edition released on GOG - Duke4.net Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

System Shock: Enhanced Edition released on GOG

User is offline   LkMax 

Kathy, on 29 June 2016 - 01:29 PM, said:

Which is perfectly fine

I'd agree if it was someone indifferent to guns, but this guy outright hates them so there's no point in trying a semi-realistic simulator to see if he thinks it's fun. I actually bet he went already thinking in what ways he would bash the game.

User is offline   Malgon 

I just finished System Shock for the first time, and I have to say that the game is great! I knew I'd like, but damn, I really had a lot of fun with it. It's pretty cool that this came out back in '94, as it was way ahead of its time. Definitely one that more people need to play. :)

P.s. The soundtrack is catchy and has been stuck in my head for a few days. Not that I'm complaining! :P

User is offline   Malgon 

Night Dive Studios are looking at distributing the source code to System Shock soon:

http://www.shacknews...-be-distributed

User is online   Lunick 

"Stephen Kick announced on his Twitter account a few days ago"

The screenshot in the article is from August..............

User is offline   Malgon 

Ha, I didn't even see that! Maybe they should change their name to slownews.com. ;)

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

Yeah, pretty old news, although still relevant because they didn't release source code yet.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

The remake has switched engines from Unity to Unreal 4.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

"Long awaited sequel" switching to the Unreal engine? What could possibly go wrong.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

It looks good

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

It does look good. Better than the Unity demo.

Micky C, on 01 March 2017 - 06:43 PM, said:

"Long awaited sequel" switching to the Unreal engine? What could possibly go wrong.

Once they get up to speed with the new engine and learn how to exploit it, all their game data will transfer very easily and it will be back to where it was at E3 within a month to 6 weeks.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

This new demo looks really blurry and washed out. They completely changed the art style for the worse.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Mr. Tibbs, on 01 March 2017 - 10:47 PM, said:

Once they get up to speed with the new engine and learn how to exploit it, all their game data will transfer very easily and it will be back to where it was at E3 within a month to 6 weeks.

Uhuh. The textures can be ported over from the Quake engine they said Posted Image

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

Daedolon, on 02 March 2017 - 02:01 AM, said:

This new demo looks really blurry and washed out. They completely changed the art style for the worse.

You should admit though that switching from Unity was a good thing. Considering this is alpha that might be changed later, I mean don't you remember first blurry as hell screenshots? Hopefully they won't fuck up with music and level design though, the track in this trailer is meh, I really hope it has nothing to do with soundtrack (why don't they want to remake original OST).

Actually, now that I listened to the original music I hate this track even more.

Just compare this:
https://soundcloud.c...dios/main-title
to this:

This new theme is absolutely unmemorable as well. Feels like C&C all over again when they decided to go with absolutely generic and unmemorable soundtrack.

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 02 March 2017 - 06:01 AM

The Kickstarter funded System Shock remake by Night Dive Studios is now on hiatus. Who could've guessed switching engines and dramatically changing the scope of the project, therefore not delivering on the promise backers paid for, might spell trouble? I'm very happy I got cold feet and didn't support this KS campaign.

https://www.polygon....tdive-interview

User is offline   axl 

Mr. Tibbs, on 16 February 2018 - 11:50 AM, said:

The Kickstarter funded System Shock remake by Night Dive Studios is now on hiatus. Who could've guessed switching engines and dramatically changing the scope of the project, therefore not delivering on the promise backers paid for, might spell trouble? I'm very happy I got cold feet and didn't support this KS campaign.

That is some sad news. I was really looking forward to this. Hope they can get things sorted quickly.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Crap. That's the second time my kickstarter backing goes south after "Blackroom". But well, I guess System Shock still has better chances of getting finished than BR... As much as I hoped that Romero could finally deliver a classic shooter again. x.x

NightFright, on 16 February 2018 - 12:16 PM, said:

Crap. That's the second time my kickstarter backing goes south after "Blackroom". But well, I guess System Shock still has better chances of getting finished than BR... As much as I hoped that Romero could finally deliver a classic shooter again. x.x

The main difference is that when the Blackroom campaign was pulled it didn't take your money. In their bid to secure a publisher and reboot the game with a new engine, Night Dive spent all of their backers funds. Personally, I think "hiatus" is the kiss death for any game. Only a handful come back from that, and usually not in state that people would want. We're now nearly two years out from the Kickstarter campaign, and the team isn't any closer to delivering on their pitch. They derailed their remake to make a reboot instead.

This post has been edited by Mr. Tibbs: 16 February 2018 - 12:37 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

So far, the only Kickstarter campaign I've been happy with was the one that kicked off the whole trend: Double Fine Adventure.

User is offline   X-Vector 

axl, on 16 February 2018 - 12:09 PM, said:

That is some sad news.

The really sad news was the departure from faithful and atmospheric remake to characterless reboot.
Can't say I care too much about the project going south now.

Thankfully the pre-alpha demo is still available (it was removed from the Steam platform).

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Mr. Tibbs, on 16 February 2018 - 11:50 AM, said:

The moral of the story: I'll go and buy Turok 2 now because I want this game to get made. :dukecigar: Damn, this is sad, they burned through all the KS money.

User is offline   VGA 

They used the KS money to pitch an Unreal-powered demo to publishers but didn't get a deal. Funny thing is, Kickstarter was created to cut out the publishers/pimps! Not funny, but sad, I should say.

Interesting article:
https://shamusyoung....edtale/?p=42010

User is offline   randir14 

VGA, on 21 March 2018 - 04:30 PM, said:

They used the KS money to pitch an Unreal-powered demo to publishers but didn't get a deal. Funny thing is, Kickstarter was created to cut out the publishers/pimps! Not funny, but sad, I should say.

Interesting article:
https://shamusyoung....edtale/?p=42010

Someone in the comments below the article made a good point. Arkane's Prey, which was basically a modern SS-like game, sold like shit. No publisher is going to want to fund a AAA System Shock after that.

User is offline   Engel220 

It is a damn shame about the remake, but SS3 is still apparently on track so it’s not all doom and gloom.

User is offline   VGA 

randir14, on 21 March 2018 - 09:46 PM, said:

Someone in the comments below the article made a good point. Arkane's Prey, which was basically a modern SS-like game, sold like shit. No publisher is going to want to fund a AAA System Shock after that.

My point was that the KS backers didn't expect a AAA title, they expected a remake in the Unity engine. They used their money to make a pitch to publishers for a AAA game.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

This is why crowdfunding should always be very carefully considered. For both the hoster and hostee of said crowd funding. Seems like a number of these characters don't fully consider the temptations of what they'll do once they get the money in hand.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

I saw a semi-faithful Unity engine thing and put my money towards that. Then Kick & co. decided to fuck me over.

• The Truth is in here

I really regret having put money into this. And I did so after the project was already backed. What could go wrong now, I thought...

The game director, Jason Fader, left at the end of February after spending 21 months on the project, but Stephen Kick tells PC Gamer today that he expects the remake will be out by Q1 2020.

"We understood based on the backer feedback, especially, that we weren't going in the right direction with the game, what we promised to them," Kick said. "That's what really caused the shift in what we're doing now, which is going back to what we'd established and represented with the Unity demo."

"Our intention is to ship exactly the game that was promised, with as much of the features that were promised as we can, in a timeframe that will get it out as fast as we can. Our expectation is probably Q1 of 2020."

https://www.pcgamer....bly-q1-of-2020/

• The Truth is in here

But with which money? They burned through everything. I think any release date they can provide right now seems pretty unrealistic.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options