Duke4.net Forums: System Shock: Enhanced Edition released on GOG - Duke4.net Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

System Shock: Enhanced Edition released on GOG

User is offline   Lunick 

http://www.gog.com/g...nhanced_edition

It was only a matter of time.

User is offline   Malgon 

Cool, I'll have to get around to playing this sometime. I've always heard good things about it.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Ah well.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I still can't believe I lost my original CD-ROM...the only game I actually legit lost and never gave away or sold.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Bought this a few days ago, but I feel like it'll need a significant time investment which I won't have for the next 2 months.

Didn't realize the graphics were so good though.

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

No where on the thread says that Night Dive did this they also played it on twitch through the gog account just wanted to mention that :)

This post has been edited by RIPGhost: 25 September 2015 - 08:09 PM

• Honored Donor

Can anyone comment on how the controls handle? Apparently that was one of the biggest issues with the original.

• Ancient Blood God

View PostMicky C, on 25 September 2015 - 08:03 PM, said:

Bought this a few days ago, but I feel like it'll need a significant time investment which I won't have for the next 2 months.

It does.

View PostMicky C, on 25 September 2015 - 08:03 PM, said:

Didn't realize the graphics were so good though.

Well that's just insulting.

• Honored Donor

Surely it's not a crime to underestimate the graphics of a game from 1994.

View PostMicky C, on 25 September 2015 - 11:44 PM, said:

Can anyone comment on how the controls handle? Apparently that was one of the biggest issues with the original.

I take it you haven't tried out the Enhanced Edition yet?

User is offline   hex 

This post has been edited by hex: 26 September 2015 - 01:23 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

Now available on Steam http://store.steampo...om/app/410710/?

• Ancient Blood God

You can purchase it now.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I've never played SS. Along with Sin and Blood, it's on my wish list.

• Ancient Blood God

You've got some great things coming for you then.

User is offline   Lunick 

I don't know if it has been mentioned anywhere before but Night Dive plan to do a full remake of System Shock eventually http://www.fastcompa...k-from-the-dead

• Ancient Blood God

Eh, I'd rather not.

User is offline   Lunick 

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

There are more floating around the web but I'm not going to link to the awful website these came from :)

• Ancient Blood God

Polygon?

• Ancient Blood God

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

User is offline   X-Vector 

Rather bloomy and fuzzy, but not bad overall.
Slanting HUD elements is an all too long running fad that needs to be eradicated, though.

• Ancient Blood God

So, everyone probably knows System Shock is my all time favourite game.

I feel this remake is steering way too much towards the "What's the point?" category instead of "How is this System Shock any more?", which is very bad. They're just recreating the rooms close to 1:1 with just more modern assets (with a lacking art style imo), which completely defeats the point of a remake imo.

If they're suggesting that they're upgrading the assets, why are they not then doing it? For example, the medical stasis bed is completely missing the bed, which is clearly visible in the Intro as well as the actual in-game art. Still, even if they somehow manage to do a faithful HD recreation of the game, what's the point?

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Fun.

User is offline   LkMax 

View PostDaedolon, on 26 November 2015 - 01:19 AM, said:

So, everyone probably knows System Shock is my all time favourite game.

I feel this remake is steering way too much towards the "What's the point?" category instead of "How is this System Shock any more?", which is very bad. They're just recreating the rooms close to 1:1 with just more modern assets (with a lacking art style imo), which completely defeats the point of a remake imo.

If they're suggesting that they're upgrading the assets, why are they not then doing it? For example, the medical stasis bed is completely missing the bed, which is clearly visible in the Intro as well as the actual in-game art. Still, even if they somehow manage to do a faithful HD recreation of the game, what's the point?

And it's not even about making original levels, but at least making the scenery more convincing. Using Half-Life as an example, as much as I dislike a bunch of stuff on Black Mesa Source, at least the reimagination of the scenery they got right: they kept the overall map design but added a lot of detail. On a similar note, see the Halo Anniversary recreation.

User is offline   X-Vector 

Two main reasons perhaps:

It's a lot more work.

Black Mesa was created by a mod team, so could be considered 'just' a fan fiction type effort (even though it's now a commercial entity).
Night Dive acquired the rights to a seminal work of a revered defunct developer and have thereby opened themselves up to criticism of not respecting the original vision.
Aside from that, System Shock has a distinct look and feel that might get lost in a move towards realism.

User is online   zykov eddy 

View PostDaedolon, on 26 November 2015 - 12:24 AM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Wait, so the mutants aren't just mutated staff of Citadel Station? I thought these are people infected with Shodan's virus, not created by Triop.

And how come the Cyborg looks so nice and clean?

User is offline   LkMax 

View PostX-Vector, on 27 November 2015 - 01:24 AM, said:

Two main reasons perhaps:

It's a lot more work.

Black Mesa was created by a mod team, so could be considered 'just' a fan fiction type effort (even though it's now a commercial entity).
Night Dive acquired the rights to a seminal work of a revered defunct developer and have thereby opened themselves up to criticism of not respecting the original vision.
Aside from that, System Shock has a distinct look and feel that might get lost in a move towards realism.

So what? They can just as easily get criticised for doing nothing different with the "remake". Also, the other example I gave was a commercial project from the beginning (Halo Anniversary) and was only criticised by problems with the multiplayer.

• Ancient Blood God

View Postzykov eddy, on 27 November 2015 - 02:32 AM, said:

Wait, so the mutants aren't just mutated staff of Citadel Station? I thought these are people infected with Shodan's virus, not created by Triop.

And how come the Cyborg looks so nice and clean?

Apparently they're in talks with the original writers, so that might be one of the reasons. There's still 21 years between the release of the game (more if you count the development arc), and it's entirely possible the writers don't even remember their original intentions (who knows if they still have the original documents around). So things are expected to change.

For the mutants, yeah, I don't recall them being like that before the hacker entered the hypersleep, could be mistaken, though. As for the cyborgs, I just suppose they've been standing in their guard posts or in some lockers somewhere, I doubt the station got much of action before all this, and they should be in pristine condition.

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

You all might have already saw this just as I have but I thought I would post it anyway.

5 Things a ‘System Shock’ Reboot Must Have To Be Good

http://motherboard.v...have-to-be-good

User is offline   Lunick 

Night Dive want $900,000 minimum for the System Shock Remastered Kickstarter https://www.reddit.c...en_kick/d4jjteg

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Thats a lot of digits

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options