Duke4.net Forums: My ART files editor (BAFed) - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My ART files editor (BAFed)  "Build ART Files Editor ver1.16"

User is offline   m210® 

I will think about it

User is offline   Hank 

Thanks M210 - I used your program for the first time tonight, and the ability to import png files with the transparent data and not to have to mess with Edit Art's pink colour, wow. :whistling:

User is offline   Marscaleb 

I've started using this program, and it is very useful.

But I am a little disappointed to find that I can't specify export options other than to have it be a png or a bmp.

When I export as a png, it exports as true color. If I want to preserve the palette data, then I HAVE to export as bmp.
Altogether, this doesn't add up to much. I can't honestly say that it has cost me more time than it took to write this post, especially since exporting isn't something I need to do very often.
Even so, I do wish I had a couple export options:
-Specify if I want to save as 24-bit or 256 color
-For PNG, specify if I want to save the alpha or a solid color
-For batch export, pad tile numbers (eg 001 instead of 1)
-For batch export, option to rename tiles according to their index in all of the art, not just the index within the given art file. Or at least give a warning that you are about to overwrite some files.

Actually that last one would have saved me a couple minutes of hassle.

But overall a very good product. I look forward to using it more fully.

User is offline   Kyanos 

-For batch export, option to rename tiles according to their index in all of the art, not just the index within the given art file. Or at least give a warning that you are about to overwrite some files.

^ this also.

I'd recommend the naming convention used by the old art2bmp, APLAYER = ART01405.BMP as an example.

User is offline   m210® 

Hi. I updated my BAFed to version 1.16. Check it now

User is offline   Anvil 

Can you add an option to copy multiple tiles at once to their slots in another art file?

User is offline   m210® 

You can do it with Batch Export and after open a new ART file and import pics to it. You also can import other ART file to opened ARTfile

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I started using this yesterday, and it's a very good tool except for one glaring problem: it does not open grp files! This means that I have to export all my art files from the grp first, which is messy.

User is offline   m210® 

I will thinking about GRP support, but I don't know when I can do it, because I working on Blood port now :blink:

User is offline   WolfmanFP 

I tried to run BAFEd under JRE 10, and it threw an exception:

null
	java.desktop/javax.swing.ImageIcon.<init>(ImageIcon.java:217)
	BAFed.initialize(BAFed.java:983)
	BAFed.<init>(BAFed.java:264)
	BAFed.main(BAFed.java:207)

The Windows wrapper also doesn't work under JRE 10 because of a bug in Launch4j (I presume this is what you're using).

User is offline   Hank 

Is it just me, or is the link to BAFedgone?

This post has been edited by Hank: 18 September 2018 - 03:22 PM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

https://m210.duke4.n...bafed_1.160.zip

Thanks a ton
This is way easier to use then EDITART

User is offline   MoonTurtle 

Hello!

I recently updated Java, and for some reason when I try to open Bafed, it won't open anymore, saying that it requires Java Runtime Environment 1.5.0 to run, can you update Bafed to make it compatible with more recent Java updates?

User is offline   m210® 

Hi. I almost don't check this thread :) I think I need to include .jar file in release archive before I make a new version (very not soon)

But in future I want to fully rewrite my editor.

User is offline   Zaxtor 

I love DukeRes

Despite new Editart
I still use DukeRes

User is offline   m210® 

Hi. I have released the new version of my BAFed.
The interface has been changed and now it is supporting ART files of Blood.

I tried to make my program more convenience. Here is a link: BAFed Enjoy :D

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I downloaded, but there is no changelog. Were there any other changes besides Blood support? I use BAFed for Duke 3D projects all the time.

User is offline   m210® 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 04 July 2019 - 11:42 PM, said:

I downloaded, but there is no changelog. Were there any other changes besides Blood support? I use BAFed for Duke 3D projects all the time.

I haven't thought about changelog yet, sorry :D But I wrote some here on my site:

1. BAFed is supporting Build palettes (*.dat), photoshop palettes (*.act) and Microsoft palettes (*.pal)
2. Since v2.0 you can choose a few tiles by mouse and export it to a folder. In the import window, you can choose a few files by mouse with pushed a Ctrl-button.
3. ART files saving feature have been rewritten, therefore ART files of Blood are also supporting now.
4. BAFed is supporting voxel.dat and surface.dat files of Blood.
5. You can resize chosen tile in an opened ART.
6. I made movable preview picture of the chosen tile.
7. BAFed's viewer has zoom feature of up to 999%.
8. BAFed is supporting the clipboard. You can copy any picture to the clipboard and paste it in BAFed and vice versa - you can copy a chosen tile to the clipboard and paste it in any graphical editor.

Also, I remember about GRP support and I already prepared the code of BAFed to make the support.

User is offline   m210® 

The new BAFed has written almost from zero, so I can't tell exactly about changes. But here are some of them:

1. The interface has been changed and now it is supporting ART files of Blood.
2. Since v2.0 you can choose a few tiles by mouse and export it to a folder. In the import window, you can choose a few files by mouse with pushed a Ctrl-button.
3. ART files saving feature have been rewritten, therefore ART files of Blood are also supporting now and it's not changing start tile of ART depended on a filename.
4. BAFed is supporting voxel.dat and surface.dat files of Blood.
5. BAFed is supporting the clipboard. You can copy any picture to the clipboard and paste it in BAFed and vice versa - you can copy a chosen tile to the clipboard and paste it in any graphical editor.
6. Animated tiles are highlighting in the tile list.
7. You can fast switch between ART files by "File" menu from an ART list.
8. Quantity of included palettes has been increased.
9. Resizeable thumbnails in the tile list.
10. Thumbnails autozoom feature
11. Tile crc32 info (for def-scripts)
12. Tile palette converting feature has been deleted.
13. *.ini script file import feature has been deleted.

This post has been edited by m210®: 05 July 2019 - 01:06 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Thanks for the info!

There is one thing that has been a big nuisance for me when I'm using the batch import tile feature. Let's say I have a bunch of tiles named in my folder:

0.png, 1.png, 2.png, 3.png 4.png, 5.png, 6.png, 7.png, 8.png, 9.png 10.png

If I batch import, it will do it in this order: 0.png, 1.png, 10.png, 2.png, etc

This messes up the order if I am importing character animations. The files I use are auto-named from a sprite sheet unpacker, so I either have to rename them or hide certain tiles and do them bunches. I guess I should have checked before typing all this, but is it fixed in this version?

User is offline   m210® 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 05 July 2019 - 01:13 AM, said:

but is it fixed in this version?

Not, because I haven't known about this issue. I'm not sure, but I will try to fix it.

In the other hand, in this version, you can choose files you want partially. For example choose 0 - 9.png, do import, then open the import windows again and choose 10 - 19.png. The older version didn't have such feature.

This post has been edited by m210®: 05 July 2019 - 01:33 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

The interface is a huge improvement over the old version. Being able to see the whole file at once instead of being constrained to a single row of tile makes it much faster to inspect an art file. And being able to type in the offset numbers instead of clicking to increment them is also much faster.

User is offline   m210® 

Yeah, I'm trying to make it more convenient, and I still have some ideas to improve the interface :D

This post has been edited by m210®: 05 July 2019 - 02:35 AM

View PostTrooper Dan, on 05 July 2019 - 01:13 AM, said:

Thanks for the info!

There is one thing that has been a big nuisance for me when I'm using the batch import tile feature. Let's say I have a bunch of tiles named in my folder:

0.png, 1.png, 2.png, 3.png 4.png, 5.png, 6.png, 7.png, 8.png, 9.png 10.png

If I batch import, it will do it in this order: 0.png, 1.png, 10.png, 2.png, etc

This messes up the order if I am importing character animations. The files I use are auto-named from a sprite sheet unpacker, so I either have to rename them or hide certain tiles and do them bunches. I guess I should have checked before typing all this, but is it fixed in this version?

I actually had this same issue recently, though it's probably more on part of the sprite unpacker to fix rather than on BAFed.
The sprite unpacker should ideally count the number of files and prepend a number of 0 digits to the filename, since that makes more sense with lexical sort ordering, but oh well.

edit:

View Postm210®, on 05 July 2019 - 01:29 AM, said:

Not, because I haven't known about this issue. I'm not sure, but I will try to fix it.

In the other hand, in this version, you can choose files you want partially. For example choose 0 - 9.png, do import, then open the import windows again and choose 10 - 19.png. The older version didn't have such feature.

This pretty much solves the problem though.

This post has been edited by Doom64hunter: 05 July 2019 - 12:00 PM

User is offline   Jblade 

nice work - could you add a keypress or bind to move the actor's alignment as well as the little buttons?

EDIT: n/m, just found out you can press the arrow keys when the alignment box is selected.

This post has been edited by Jblade: 08 July 2019 - 11:32 PM

User is offline   m210® 

View PostJblade, on 08 July 2019 - 11:24 PM, said:

nice work - could you add a keypress or bind to move the actor's alignment as well as the little buttons?

EDIT: n/m, just found out you can press the arrow keys when the alignment box is selected.

Also you can use PnUp, PnDw, End and Home buttons to navigation

Feature suggestion:

Drag&Drop sprite offset editing, e.g. you hold the CTRL key and that would allow you to drag the offset reticle around, instead of the sprite itself.
That would be a great help for cases where you need to align a large number of frames.

By the way, the new version is great and has been massively useful so far. Great work!

User is offline   Jblade 

also a little suggest, could importing tiles via the batch option keep the previous alignment, rather than resetting it to zero?

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostJblade, on 29 July 2019 - 11:43 AM, said:

also a little suggest, could importing tiles via the batch option keep the previous alignment, rather than resetting it to zero?

It did keep the alignment in previous versions. Yeah, that's a problem if you are replacing an actor tile set.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options