Duke Nukem Forever Media

User is offline   Ramen4ever 

View PostLotan, on May 10 2009, 11:58 AM, said:

Fuck me in the asshole..............

Is it Friday already?

*bonus points if you get the ref* ;)

User is offline   Kathy 

No bonus point for me then...

That's Jace Hall's comments about the game when he saw it in 2007. Nothing knew, but right listening to those is depressing as hell. http://www.youtube.c...h?v=DX9Yih9HEfE

Anyone want to jump off the roof with me?

User is offline   Ramen4ever 

View PostLotan, on May 10 2009, 11:54 AM, said:

Not particularly. And especially not before an official statement even gets released. ;)

User is offline   Psyrgery 

View PostLotan, on May 10 2009, 08:54 PM, said:

No bonus point for me then...

That's Jace Hall's comments about the game when he saw it in 2007. Nothing knew, but right listening to those is depressing as hell. http://www.youtube.c...h?v=DX9Yih9HEfE

I'm quite sure George would gladly join you ;)

User is offline   Nihilanth 

I was 99% sure that this game couldn't have been in development for 6 years, there had to be another restart.

This is all bullshit, all those speculations... I just wanna know what GB will say.

User is offline   Kathy 

I wouldn't want to jump with George.

I just wanna know what GB will say.

He won't say shit about that. At least for a year.

This post has been edited by Lotan: 10 May 2009 - 12:00 PM

User is offline   X-Vector 

View PostLotan, on May 10 2009, 09:54 PM, said:

Aren't you a bit selective when it comes to the hype?
When I read this part of the brother of the ex-employee's comment, it doesn't strike me as grounds for limitless enthusiasm:

Was it going to be worth 12 years wait? Of course not. But it looked like a solid offering from a studio that had spent 2.5 years working on a title.

User is offline   Kathy 

Aren't you a bit selective when it comes to the hype?

Maybe you're right. That bit really wasn't reassuring.

It's just in several days my sarcasm and general "whatever" attitude towards the game changed to "at last" when I've heard news of the closure, then changed to "why did you do this to us?" after seeing the footage. This is really heart-breaking. It could have been a great experience to actually play the game in its full glory... And it could have been great time for developers to release it to the world to see.

I don't know... I wish the game didn't exist. I wish there were playing WoW all day long without doing something.

User is offline   Redcard 

View PostLotan, on May 10 2009, 01:38 PM, said:

Maybe you're right. That bit really wasn't reassuring.

It's just in several days my sarcasm and general "whatever" attitude towards the game changed to "at last" when I've heard news of the closure, then changed to "why did you do this to us?" after seeing the footage. This is really heart-breaking. It could have been a great experience to actually play the game in its full glory... And it could have been great time for developers to release it to the world to see.

I don't know... I wish the game didn't exist. I wish there were playing WoW all day long without doing something.

I'm actually the opposite. I'm relieved there is footage.

Too many people , especially vencap people.. believe this whole thing to have been a hoax used to stall out money and time. The "chair" story, while over dramatic, actually does happen in this industry.. and it happens a lot. People believed that was what DNF was about.

The fact that this game looked good, at least at one time, indicates that it likely was "Scope Creep" and "Perfectionism" that killed it.. and that means that only the management was bad. It's a redeeming factor that it wasn't a scam.

That said.. I don't think any other publisher or distributor jumps on this game without a significant advance from the developer.. or a significant stake / ownership of the IP .

User is offline   X-Vector 

View PostLotan, on May 10 2009, 10:38 PM, said:

For me it's different; I am actually a bit relieved that the screens and demo footage leave me relatively cold, because I remember that crushing feeling when it became obvious that the DNF of the 1998-2001 period was never going to see the light.
That was 'my' DNF, this isn't or at least doesn't seem to be so far.
To me, the recent stuff looks like a current-gen FPS with Duke assets, in a way that kind of reaffirms my earlier suspicions that those Duke-isms may not gel too well with the visual development of the genre post-Doom 3.

BTW, I don't get surprised reactions to the existence of DNF content; did people really expect all those coders, artists and level designers to sit around all day doing nothing?
Perhaps it's because the discussion of the game had gotten so abstract over the years due to the lack of media that the comparative deluge of footage has caused a shock effect.
That doesn't change the fact that in the real world of game development, content creation and exposure is the norm rather than the exception.

If what was quoted was true, what would've been the better option?

Pull the plug a month ago, and give the team 4-8 weeks of severance, or pull the plug when their bank account was on fumes (which appears to be what happened), and not give anyone shit?

Because of the way health insurance works in this country, even if the team get jobs right away, they're probably looking at 45-90 days with no coverage.

Hopefully whatever remains of the wound-down 3DR will be able to offer COBRA coverage, so that employees can pay to continue their old coverage until they're able to acquire new coverage. Paying 102% of premium to continue coverage sucks (been there, done that) but it's better than going bare, when even a relatively minor medical problem can cost 4 or 5 figures (been there, done that, never again).

EDIT: Sorry, wrong thread to put a post about the 3DR shutdown in, but it's the thread where the restart and the target ship date was mentioned, which indicates a time gap too big to span without outside funding.

This post has been edited by AgentScotty: 10 May 2009 - 01:06 PM

User is offline   Redcard 

View PostAgentScotty, on May 10 2009, 02:02 PM, said:

Hopefully whatever remains of the wound-down 3DR will be able to offer COBRA coverage, so that employees can pay to continue their old coverage until they're able to acquire new coverage. Paying 102% of premium to continue coverage sucks (been there, done that) but it's better than going bare, when even a relatively minor medical problem can cost 4 or 5 figures (been there, done that, never again).

EDIT: Sorry, wrong thread to put a post about the 3DR shutdown in, but it's the thread where the restart and the target ship date was mentioned, which indicates a time gap too big to span without outside funding.

Actually, it's typical for companies to give 2 weeks of severence for every year of duty. Some companies give 2 weeks for every $10,000 or similar things.

Starting average in the field, at least for developers/coders, is around $50k. Unemployment maxes out at $18000 or so.

And .. it's customary for benefits to start on day one in this industry, not on day 45 or day 90.

User is offline   Mack 

Fantastic new pics on the front page

User is offline   Kathy 

Starting average in the field, at least for developers/coders, is around $50k. Unemployment maxes out at $18000 or so.

Wow. Now I feel like I'm leaving in a shithole... I need a donation.

This post has been edited by Lotan: 10 May 2009 - 01:13 PM

User is offline   razgriz 

The footage looks interesting despite only showing one area.

This post has been edited by razgriz: 10 May 2009 - 01:26 PM

User is offline   Serge 

• Nukem de Duc pour Toujours

Just a little remark about the demo reel: it seems the cycloid emperor is flashing, after being defeated (like the baddies in games like final fight, before they disappear). It gives credit to the cubeblue story.

User is offline   Techbot 

Without wanting to sound like I'm taking the piss, I'm kinda surprised so many people here are so negative in regards to the future of DNF - it seems inconceivable to me that the game will be canned. From what I've been reading on the News page here the game was well under a year away from being finished - to any even halfway decent developer finishing a game like that would be child's play.

This is Duke Mother-slapping Nukem for God's sake - I refuse to believe that there isn't a single developer or publisher on the planet that would be willing to save both the dignity of one of gaming's greatest heroes, as well as one of the most well-known games in existence.

User is offline   Dark Agent 

View PostTechbot, on May 10 2009, 05:38 PM, said:

Without wanting to sound like I'm taking the piss, I'm kinda surprised so many people here are so negative in regards to the future of DNF - it seems inconceivable to me that the game will be canned. From what I've been reading on the News page here the game was well under a year away from being finished - to any even halfway decent developer finishing a game like that would be child's play.
Agreed, from what we have seen it looks like all the devlopment needed for it would be polishing and bug testing.

View PostDark Agent, on May 11 2009, 10:54 AM, said:

Agreed, from what we have seen it looks like all the devlopment needed for it would be polishing and bug testing.

Exactly. I think it's easy to forget that while 3DR is used to doing it's own thing, the vast majority of other devs are used to working to deadlines and finishing games on time, regularly. I suspect most dev studios would resemble a well-oiled machine in comparison to 3DR's more laid-back approach.

- Paul

View PostTechbot, on May 10 2009, 08:38 PM, said:

This is Duke Mother-slapping Nukem for God's sake - I refuse to believe that there isn't a single developer or publisher on the planet that would be willing to save both the dignity of one of gaming's greatest heroes, as well as one of the most well-known games in existence.

In this market, it looks pretty grim.

View Postrazgriz, on May 11 2009, 10:58 AM, said:

In this market, it looks pretty grim.

I completely understand that, but I still feel like the pulling power of A] The Duke Nukem franchise and B] A very nearly finished, highly anticipated game would be enough to make the difference.

This post has been edited by Techbot: 10 May 2009 - 05:37 PM

View PostTechbot, on May 10 2009, 09:37 PM, said:

I completely understand that, but I still feel like the pulling power of A] The Duke Nukem franchise and B] A very nearly finished, highly anticipated game would be enough to make the difference.

Don't get me wrong.

I'm all for playing this b*tch in it's full glory. It just sucks that 3D Realms is no more and I'm not getting my hopes up.

Anyway, like you said it, things can go either way. ;)

User is offline   Betelgeuse 

• Honored Donor

it wouldn't be right not seeing the 3dr logo just before the opening title screen, but even if by some kind of miracle the game is finished and released that isn't going to happen anyway, i guess.

lame. ;)

View Postrazgriz, on May 11 2009, 11:56 AM, said:

Don't get me wrong.

I'm all for playing this b*tch in it's full glory. It just sucks that 3D Realms is no more and I'm not getting my hopes up.

Anyway, like you said it, things can go either way. ;)

I hope so. My hopes are about the same height they've always been with DNF, i.e. "What's that? We may get to play Duke Nukem Forever some day? Neat!" ;)

View PostBetelgeuse, on May 11 2009, 12:08 PM, said:

it wouldn't be right not seeing the 3dr logo just before the opening title screen, but even if by some kind of miracle the game is finished and released that isn't going to happen anyway, i guess.

lame. :D

I don't see why 3DR wouldn't get their logo at the start of the game - they'll still own the IP remember (unless George gets extremely drunk and sells the rights).

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostSerge, on May 11 2009, 03:50 AM, said:

Just a little remark about the demo reel: it seems the cycloid emperor is flashing, after being defeated (like the baddies in games like final fight, before they disappear). It gives credit to the cubeblue story.

I thought he was flashing because of the possibility to do a QTE. But now knowing it was an arcade machine... maybe you're right. Battlelord wasn't flashing before QTE.

User is offline   zchri9 

• Honored Donor

Documents and Screenshots taken from Richard Huenink's Portfolio.
I havent seen this anywhere else so I thought I should post it here.

WARNING - MASSIVE PLOT SPOILERS IN EXCEL FILE - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED
(Sorry for Caps, thought it was appropriate seeing the excel file gives the plot of every level)

http://rapidshare.com/files/231631721/Duke...ver_Screens.zip

Say thank you ;)

Update - Documents removed. Both links now contain IMAGES ONLY.
If anyone would like the documents that reveal the whole plot PM me.

This post has been edited by zchri9: 11 May 2009 - 09:09 PM

User is offline   ThePinkus 

The battlelord was flashing

You can just BARELY see it

User is offline   ThePinkus 

It's basically a document that gives away level per level?

Oh god. Someone PLEASE stop me from wanting to read this.

User is offline   zchri9 

• Honored Donor

The ZIP I uploaded includes alot of screenshots of the game with word documents out lining a couple of the levels in alot of detail.
There is also a excel file that tells the WHOLE plot of the game along with what weapons you get on the level and so on.

User is offline   ryche 

Here...we....go

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 25 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options