Duke4.net Forums: Turok Forum - Duke4.net Forums

• 11 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Turok Forum  "New"

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

I have always been a great fan of Turok starting back in 97 with Turok: Dinosaur Hunter which is the first game, now there is 8 if you count them all. I most of all like the atmosphere they offered especially the first Turok which is imo still one of the best and most challenging SP campaigns around. Turok 2 was great to but different atmosphere and a lot of focus was put into the MP maybe that's why the MP is still around to this very day.

As some of you may know I have made 2 Turok based maps in mapster32 and they were quite successful I have more in store for that and I have a post about it that has some pics to. This bringing me closer to Turok you see in 1997 that was probably the height of my gaming life besides now that i'm older I play a little more again. But 1997 = Duke Nukem 64 and Turok Dinosaur Hunter ironically these are my two favorite games. So as I took a short break from playing Duke because it was all I was playing at all pretty much I went and played my Turok (pretty much all of them) what do you know got hooked again. Also to be fully engaged into the game will help out with the mapping to be even more accurate since the images are now direct memory.

This sparked my interest to try and find some community left for this franchise and I searched for forums and couldn't really find much Official for all Turok I found a crowd I know for Turok2 Mp. Other then that found nothing but sub forums like neoseeker and stuff of that manner all spread out so went ahead and started something here for it myself. My interest is keep Turok alive :) If interested check it out feel free to join or just check it Turok Forums or http://www.turokforums.com/

Here is a video playing Turok 2 MP better in 60fps on youtube really

This post has been edited by 64Ghost: 03 August 2015 - 03:27 PM

User is offline   Max Payne 

• Skinny little Russian liberal faggot

Looks very clean as I told you before just give it some time it's now the best looking forum for Turok there is. So you have that on your side all you need is some new news for Turok now that would be amazing.

A Really good IP that needs to come back Turok 2 is the Best

This post has been edited by Steven Shipler: 25 March 2015 - 07:59 AM

User is offline   Jinroh 

Coolness, just signed up. :P

I'm a big fan of Turok too. Hard to pick a favorite, though I'd likely go with Seeds of Evil. I've got a few of the chapter books from back when I was in middle school still. Great fun books to kill an afternoon. :)

(In first Turok's voice) I am TUROK!

I am Turok!

Wish there was away to play Turok 2 In coop mode think the n64 had but not the pc version.

User is offline   Martin 

Resident N64 fanboy, here. The original Turok was just incredible in it's day. It was basically like some sort of 'Jungle Quake', with very impressive graphics and the gameplay was solid. You had a large arsenal of weapons, and the settings and enemies were interesting. Finding the portals to the netherworld plane 'secret room' things was very cool, as was piecing together the chronoscepter. In Europe, it was one of the three great launch titles. We didn't get our N64s until 1997. There were six launch games for us. You didn't want Star Wars, FIFA or Wayne Gretzky. You wanted Super Mario 64, Pilotwings 64, and Turok. Of the four Turok games released on the N64, it's probably the most playable today due to being the only one that really has an acceptable frame rate by modern standards.

Turok 2 was something of a revelation at the time, what with being the poster-child for the Expansion Pak and all that. The levels were sprawling affairs with lots to see and kill, the enemies are great, and they really outdid themselves with the arsenal of weapons in this game. Each level has a very distinct theme, and multiplayer is introduced, and actually very good as well. One of the rare N64 shooters to offer a solid alternative to GoldenEye multiplayer. The graphics were incredible for it's day (though nobody seems to notice Turok 1 has better water..), but in 2015, on the main campaign at least, the frame rate is too awful to fully-enjoy the experience. I recommend using 'lo-res' mode and maybe letterboxing to win some frames back. Just go into the options menu, you'll find them. Also some of my favourite boss encounters are from Turok 2.

Turok 3 was a mixed bag, for me at least. The real-time cut scenes with fully-animated faces and voice acting was great, and I guess some of the new weapons were good. But.. ahh, I don't know. Some of the monsters are just kind of weird, the new Turoks aren't as cool as Joshua Fireseed (who needlessly kills himself at the start of this game lol) or Tal' Set. Oblivion was a great idea. That view of him from the hotel window with his tentacles slumping over the side of an adjacent high-ris, originating from a huge wormhole/portal in the sky. That was a really cool moment. It was also a good link between Turok 2 and 3, as Oblivion's minions appears in the 'bonus stages' of Turok 2. I just found some of the settings and enemies bland, and the frame rate has not improved since Turok 2, and suffers the same detriments. This game also had a great multiplayer mode. Multiplayer, as in Turok 2, runs better than single-player. At least with two people it does.

Turok Rage Wars was a random little spinoff released between 2 and 3. It was basically 'Quake III: Turok Edition', and it was in all fairness an excellent multiplayer FPS game on the N64. The were a lot of maps, and a lot of characters to choose from. It was a weird game then, on a console at least. The idea of a multiplayer-only game was kind of unheard of on the console scene. It was a good game to have for multiplayer sessions, but otherwise didn't see a lot of use. It's even weirder now. It's unlikely that you're going to be playing big multiplayer sessions of N64 now. It even has a solo mode against bots like Quake III.

Anyway, the original Turok is the best one to go back and play, now. The frame rate is acceptable, and you can actually play it without having to recall long-lost instinctive Turok 2/3 muscle-memory. I got good at Turok 2 back then because it was so amazing. I compensated heavily for the low frame rate. None of this is required to enjoy the original.

Do the Turok games work well on emulators? I'd be using the Mupen64Plus core in RetroArch rather than that piece of shit known as Project64 (which even Sheldon Cooper mocked in TBBT).

I wish I owned Rage Wars at least, we had lots of multiplayer action back in the day and, when I saw it in the local Nintendo magazine, it looked like a fun game.

Of course, I'd wait for TurokEX but that still has a long way to go.

• Turok Nukem

Oh don't worry working on making packaged versions that are stand alone T2 has mp and sp T1 has sp even trying to repair the music! You see the problem is you find a download of it somewhere and the mp works but you need to fix it since gamespy crashed and the music doesn't work. But the sp is broken in every version available for T2 unless you buy physical.... There is a way to fix it and were looking to include that in the new package. Turok 1 is pretty much okay except the music is not playing...

Also, they are able to both run in 60 fps with a little trick I know :P if you go to Youtube you can change the setting of that video in my post to 60 fps 72060p I think it is called. Now even that is on my old pc with recording software running at the same time at 60. But you are right before this I know the frames were pretty bad except T1.

I wouldn't go trying with emulators or torrents this is how you end up with messed up games hehe :) For example on Turok 1 if you play on 64 emulator even mupen the pump shotgun will be missing textures or I should say part of the gun will be invisible xD. I don't know if this is a problem for you but if that is happening I personally didn't want to wait and see what else is fucked up for me and my return to the sp. I wanted to play it right heheh

This post has been edited by 64Ghost: 03 August 2015 - 02:30 PM

• Turok Nukem

This one is my video thought it was funny hehe

Here's a silly one if you like that I found not mine hehehe

This post has been edited by DukeyGhostIAMTUROKARGHHH64: 25 March 2015 - 03:52 PM

User is offline   Jinroh 

View PostDuke of Hazzard, on 25 March 2015 - 03:09 PM, said:

Do the Turok games work well on emulators? I'd be using the Mupen64Plus core in RetroArch rather than that piece of shit known as Project64 (which even Sheldon Cooper mocked in TBBT).

I wish I owned Rage Wars at least, we had lots of multiplayer action back in the day and, when I saw it in the local Nintendo magazine, it looked like a fun game.

Of course, I'd wait for TurokEX but that still has a long way to go.

If you have an N64, I'd try and get at least 1-3. I was able to get complete copies for ~$10-$20 in the last year. Rage Wars, since you want it is similar I'd think.

LOL These are great.

View PostDukeyGhostIAMTUROKARGHHH64, on 25 March 2015 - 03:46 PM, said:

This one is my video thought it was funny hehe

Here's a silly one if you like that I found not mine hehehe

This post has been edited by Jinroh: 26 March 2015 - 05:22 AM

• Turok Nukem

Thanks for joining Jinroh and Hendricks! :P Wanted to clarify this forum isn't some sort of cult or clan and I didn't post here to be like yeah look at this nor did I make it to be like yeah I made a Turok forum. Nope I just think Turok is pretty close to Duke/Doom style so a good place to show it is here and it's just a hope for Turok life and me being a die hard fan why not do it especially if I have the money for it :)

I really believe this franchise doesn't get the credit it deserves sure it gets some but no where near what it is deserving Turok has been around since 1956 with comics. I am tracking down the source code for Turok 2 and so far I have hit dead ends there's only one hope left and if it's not there... well I will be one sad guy :P

This post has been edited by DukeyGhostIAMTUROKARGHHH64: 26 March 2015 - 06:55 AM

User is offline   Ronin 

Yeah Turok is great very underrated I think. I still own 1,2,3 and Rage Wars though I haven't played in ages. I mashed one the knuckles on my right hand after punching the wall in frustration at some of the jumps in one of the later stages of Turok 1, I stopped playing for a while and came back about a year later and started from scratch and has no trouble and loved it as I was more experienced playing FPS games after a LOT of Duke 64. I haven't finished the reboot, tried the first level in the demo and found the guns piss weak so I stopped and thought I'd wait for a price drop then lost interest. Oh yeah Turok 4 on PS2 was crap as well. I still love the death animations in Turok 1 and 2 and the music especially in Turok 1, and those weapons...they don't make stuff like that anymore.

This post has been edited by Ronan: 26 March 2015 - 08:00 AM

I never played the third on the n64 didn't know there was a third one, Wish it was ported to pc or have someone buy the ip from them,

• Turok Nukem

Yep Turok 3 Shadow of Oblivion is a twist story and game it's actually good to that's one I will tell you to try on an emulator I haven't witnessed any issues on it yet.

But one cool thing about it is there was 2 characters and one of them was a female character named Danielle. The best thing of that 2008 game is exploring the atmosphere and shooting dinos but had some painful parts between and he is to slow. Later on weapons get pretty cool my favorite was double shotgun because Turok can reload shotguns with one hand while dual wielding them heheh but hated how you could only carry 2 weapons...I have no idea why this ever became an idea for Duke or Turok... But yeah it's not the best game it's kind of like the DNF of the franchise with a rating of 7/10. Except here the people working on the sequel Propaganda were laid off and game is done no news what will happen with the IP.

But to bad Acclaim and Iguana are gone off the planet but I wouldn't mind 3D realms buying the IP lol that would be pretty cool actually. With my forum hope to prove a questionable fact whether it's dead or not and I am unable to think of one of those options.

This post has been edited by DukeyGhostIAMTUROKARGHHH64: 26 March 2015 - 08:09 PM

User is offline   Jinroh 

View PostDukeyGhostIAMTUROKARGHHH64, on 26 March 2015 - 10:10 AM, said:

Yep Turok 3 Shadow of Oblivion is a twist story and game it's actually good to that's one I will tell you to try on an emulator I haven't witnessed any issues on it yet.

But one cool thing about it is there was 2 characters and one of them was a female character named Danielle the guy was named Joseph. Sort of like the latest 2008 release his name is Joseph Turok. The best thing of that 2008 game is exploring the atmosphere and shooting dinos but had some painful parts between and he is to slow. Later on weapons get pretty cool my favorite was double shotgun because Turok can reload shotguns with one hand while dual wielding them heheh but hated how you could only carry 2 weapons...I have no idea why this ever became an idea for Duke or Turok... But yeah it's not the best game it's kind of like the DNF of the franchise with a rating of 7/10. Except here the people working on the sequel Propaganda were laid off and game is done no news what will happen with the IP.

But to bad Acclaim and Iguana are gone off the planet but I wouldn't mind 3D realms buying the IP lol that would be pretty cool actually. With my forum hope to prove a questionable fact whether it's dead or not and I am unable to think of one of those options.

Yeah I never got to play Turok 3 until last year when I decided to complete my collection, but I was very impressed when I did! The atmosphere, the graphics, etc. It's different, but very cool IMO.

It would be cool if somebody picked up and did a real Turok game again. Renegade Kid wouldn't be bad as some of those guys worked on Turok. I enjoyed their DS FPS games.

User is offline   Martin 

View PostSteven Shipler, on 25 March 2015 - 12:26 PM, said:

Wish there was away to play Turok 2 In coop mode think the n64 had but not the pc version.

There's no co-op mode in any N64 Turok.

User is offline   Ronin 

View PostMartin, on 26 March 2015 - 12:00 PM, said:

There's no co-op mode in any N64 Turok.

Believe it or not there was, in the US version only I believe. I spent hours trying to get it to work to no avail (Ireland). You had to enter the bewareoblivionisathand code then start a multiplayer then select single player levels to run amock in, or something like that.

My only complaint with Turok 2 apart from the frame rate which didn't really bother me that much at the time, was the groin cam. You felt too short and I always hoped someone would mod the PC version to fix that.

When we were playing the 4 player deathmatch we banned the electric gun because it was head wrecking and your screen went mad for about a minute, someone always got a sneaky shot in though, good times popping heads with the default bow.

Don't know why people don't like Turok 3 it had a black hole gun for fucks sake!

This post has been edited by Ronan: 26 March 2015 - 02:59 PM

I remember now the cheat code yeah you had to use a cheat code just like Duke Nukem Zero Hour, have like 3 controls then use the debug cheat for some odd reason player two be like invisible to enemie ai only player one is visable

User is offline   Martin 

View PostRonan, on 26 March 2015 - 12:07 PM, said:

Believe it or not there was, in the US version only I believe. I spent hours trying to get it to work to no avail (Ireland). You had to enter the bewareoblivionisathand code the start a multiplayer then select single player levels to run amock in, or something like that.

Fair enough. Wouldn't call it a proper mode of it's hidden away like that, though. I bet it doesn't work properly.

This post has been edited by Martin: 26 March 2015 - 01:08 PM

It works

User is offline   HulkNukem 

The co-op mode didn't actually work. At least not back when I played it in the 90's
What you did was enter the bewareoblivionisathand code, start a deathmatch, go into the cheat menu, change the level to one of the 6 singleplayer levels, and then you could play up to the point you get to a teleporter and then the game doesn't work anymore, you just get teleported to a black void. Teleporting in singleplayer caused you to freeze in place and it would go through a 3-4 second long animation while in deathmatch if you went through a teleport you would zap over to the other pad instantly, so it broke when trying to do it in the SP levels.
The very first level in the game has a teleporter you have to go through to get to the rest of the level, and its about 20 seconds into the level, so the entire first level is unplayable. Considering its the longest level and they are typically 1-2 hours long, the co-op mode isn't actually all that fun.
What you can do is play the boss fights since those are also their own level select.
I remember reading about the game in a magazine before it was released about how it would have co-op and all these weird game modes, and trying forever to try to unlock those modes because it was before internet when you could easily just look up that the modes were scrapped and never finished.

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 26 March 2015 - 02:04 PM

User is offline   Martin 

Interesting stuff. Indeed, I looked it up and it doesn't really work as you say. Still, I didn't even know this could be done. A glitch/oversight on Iguana's part?

User is offline   HulkNukem 

View PostMartin, on 26 March 2015 - 02:04 PM, said:

Interesting stuff. Indeed, I looked it up and it doesn't really work as you say. Still, I didn't even know this could be done. A glitch/oversight on Iguana's part?

I looked it up on youtube, and apparently you can actually go through teleports and play the rest of the levels. Some other videos show the glitch I talked about. I'm thinking either they didn't do it the same way I used to, or they have a different version.

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 26 March 2015 - 02:08 PM

User is offline   Ronin 

An interview with the creator of Turok it shows footage of 1-4 and Rage Wars. See them again makes me want play them again (1-3 anyway).

This post has been edited by Ronan: 26 March 2015 - 02:58 PM

• Turok Nukem

That is a good video to get quick knowledge about Turok plus a good video for a fan to see to :P funny how he mentions Duke, Doom, and Quake that is exactly what I thought except except only thing really Quake about it imo is it being 3D.

Turok has it's own weight though it didn't just take the formula Turok is right there with these games and has fans there just lost in oblivion no place to go. Turok 1 that big open world the only time you feel cramped is if your in one of the cool caves :P You see they could go with an open world Turok with a feel like New Rise of the triad or new Shadow Warrior as a new game. Survive the jungle make the atmosphere wonderful except never ever have low ammo and have at least 8 weapons xD Turok needs ammo hes not dumb and for petes sake heheh give MP that's why 3d Realms/interceptor would be best fit as they launched a classic with mp as a success with ROTT that I even enjoyed :).

This post has been edited by DukeyGhostIAMTUROKARGHHH64: 26 March 2015 - 08:31 PM

User is offline   Komenja 

Gladly signed up, the Turok games and comics are some of my favorite things ever. Turok 2 was the second game I ever played, and Valiant's Dinosaur Hunter run is what got me into comics.

Man im getting old I completely forgot about that well it to bad that the pc version can't get patch like update it with Fix coop, Well it nice to see the Turok Forums Growing hope it keeps going

This post has been edited by Steven Shipler: 27 March 2015 - 04:46 AM

User is offline   Lunick 

I have Turok 2 boxed but sadly it is not the kind of game for me.

User is offline   Max Payne 

• Skinny little Russian liberal faggot

View PostSteven Shipler, on 27 March 2015 - 04:13 AM, said:

Well it nice to see the Turok Forums Growing hope it keeps going

Yeah everyone should join that forum if it could get 500-1k members in one year I think that would be amazing, and I do think Duke64 is one of the people who could make that happen believe it or not. But I mean at least it looks nice it's not like we are promoting a piece of crap website it is by far the prettiest Turok forum on the web now wish this luck.

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options