Duke4.net Forums: Duke3D HRP: new/updated art assets thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 161 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke3D HRP: new/updated art assets thread  "Post and discuss new or updated textures/models for the HRP here"

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

It may be possible to 'renovate' a lot of models using normal maps and new skins.

At the moment, the engine is undergoing a lot of optimization. Until that is finished, we are not going to know exactly what kind of poly count we can aim for with game assets.

At the moment, normal and parallax mapping for models hasn't even been implemented, so there is no way to currently test what works and what looks good and what does not.

Basically, when a beta of the engine which is pretty feature complete gets released, we can then see how it runs, what the models look like, how many more polys we could or should aim for, etc.

User is offline   Megadeus 

Here are a few replacements textures I've been working on...

Posted Image
4445.png
Replacement was too plain and a little too opaque. Redone from scratch to add a touch more character.
(Take off the 'o' ImageShack added to the filename)

Posted Image
1203.png
Was too bright before. Adjusted to better match original.

Posted Image
4557_tampon.png
Darkened slightly and redid text to look like chipped paint in stamped metal.

Posted Image
4497_mop.png
Added more texture to head of mop and smoothed out the bucket so it looked a little less like cast-iron.

Posted Image
4496_broom.png
Adjusted color of bristles to better match the original sprite.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
4410_letter.png, 4411.png, 4502.png, 4503.png
The replacement was looking more like a sprite than the original.

User is offline   Megadeus 

Limit of nine images per post - here are the rest...

Posted Image Posted Image
4458_gumballmachine.png, 4459_gumballmachine_broken.png
Both the model and the texture were lacking detail. Devoid of modeling skills, I did what I could with the skin.

Posted Image
4483.png
Replacement looked a bit sloppy in places. Made mostly from scratch of parts from the undamaged version.

Posted Image
0712_lightswitch.png
Redone to better match the electrical outlet. Needs detail texture applied (metal_fine.png detailscale 0.3) to match completely.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
4430.png, 4431.png, 4431_glow.png, 4432.png, 4432_glow.png
Made this one from scratch. Was a lot of work and required many layers and in the end it really needs to be a model instead.
I'm planning to make an equally near pointless fusebox to match soon.

This post has been edited by Megadeus: 22 May 2009 - 10:29 AM

User is online   Mark 

The 4483 switch and the 4430-32 fuse were mine. They were both just placeholders until someone makes the models for them. I have an updated version of the fuseboxes but your's look way better than mine. Keep up the good work here and on SW.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Nice updates!

User is offline   Benichon 

Really great work.
Continue ^^.

This post has been edited by Benichon: 22 May 2009 - 11:56 PM

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I think #4411 is not needed because it is part of the letter model which contains sprites #4410-4412. Otherwise, nice stuff.

User is offline   atlas 

i was wondering what you guys are using to make these textures? is it mostly photoshop? i want to try and make some of my own.

• Polymancer

If you cant drop the better part of a grand on a copy of Photoshop, grab The GIMP. It dosen't have any HDR support, and it's memory management on Windows sucks, but you don't really need that for what we are doing here. Check out the Tutorials and Resources thread for more info.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 24 May 2009 - 08:30 AM

User is offline   gt1750 

Finally it looks like I might be on the right track with fire replacement!

- the animation smoothness is OK
- none of the frames is cut off at the bottom (or sides)

Comparison in-game shot with one of the current HRP fires (no bloom or polymer involved):

Posted Image

So far I've done 1/3rd of total fire frames (tiles 2270-2283).

What do you guys think about it? Should I edit these one any further?

User is offline   Roma Loom 

• Loomsday Device

It's cute, but I think the white spot in the middle should be toned down a bit. Otherwise it looks like something very high temperature industrial type of flame...

• The Truth is in here

A suggestion for remade #4483:
At least the shadow of the blue cable should be removed since this part of the sprite has no background in E4L11 (column behind it is "broken away"). And a shadow shown where there couldn't be any doesn't look so nice. Otherwise, good replacement.

Regarding the new fire:
At long last, it's looking HOT! :P

This post has been edited by NightFright: 25 May 2009 - 04:02 AM

User is offline   Piano Man 

View Postgt1750, on May 25 2009, 07:49 PM, said:

Posted Image

What do you guys think about it? Should I edit these one any further?

HELL YEAH!!! EDIT, EDIT, EDIT!!!!

And I think the colouring is just perfect... I mean the Duke environment is meant to be vibrant and colourful and I always hated that old fire replacement.... It looked so bland.

User is offline   chicken 

• Fashionable Modeler

The fire's a winner. Please go on!

Edit: On a second look i think, Roma Loom's right.
And maybe you could make the edges a little less sharp and blur them a little bit?

This post has been edited by chicken: 25 May 2009 - 05:06 AM

User is offline   gt1750 

I did some editing before the latest 2 comments were posted, the fire looks like this ATM:

Posted Image

Colors toned down a bit, less glaring center. Blends better within the game.

I'll do the remaining 2 frame sets in a similar style

This post has been edited by gt1750: 25 May 2009 - 05:26 AM

User is offline   chicken 

• Fashionable Modeler

Yesss, i like!

User is offline   Spiker 

The fire looks great but the most important will be to make it look smooth while the frames will change.

User is offline   Hellbound 

For me it was better with that white stuff.
Anyway it looks great!

• Polymancer

Looks good. May possibly need desaturating slightly, but looks a million miles ahead of the old one!

User is offline   Hellbound 

As for me the saturation is perfect.

User is offline   gt1750 

I guess I'm done for now.

Fire sprites 2066-2079, 2270-2283 and 2310-2323

DOWNLOAD HERE or HERE

Share your impressions, opinions and suggestions :)

• The Truth is in here

Can only quote Duke: "Aaah, much better!" :)

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

There's only one major complaint I have with the HRP, and that's Duke's hands/arms in first person. His arms are too skinny in my opinion. No offense, but it makes Duke look like he's 13 years old! :) His arms need to be beefed out a bit, along with some veins popping out.

User is offline   PimpUigi 

Hmm...they look fine to me as is.

As long as they look like the 2D sprites and everything.
His leg is already much thicker than his sprite version.

So I don't agree with you.

User is offline   Piterplus 

View Postgt1750, on May 25 2009, 11:44 PM, said:

I guess I'm done for now.

Fire sprites 2066-2079, 2270-2283 and 2310-2323

DOWNLOAD HERE or HERE

Share your impressions, opinions and suggestions :)

Good fire,
my only suggestions is to make upper side of the fire less visible (transparent) to make animation moore smooth. This is pretty visible in trash container (e1l1) - while animated, upside of the fire jumping up and down too obvious. Maybe your fire sprites differ too much between first and last frame ...
Also, middle part mostly just plain yellow - unlike the original, there flame waves are moving too.

This post has been edited by Piterplus: 28 May 2009 - 01:44 AM

User is offline   gt1750 

Finally some feedback! :)

Good points, I don't like the plain yellow center either - I'll probably bing back the brighter one, though with less saturated colors. I guess I'll have some time to improve it during the weekend.

User is offline   Spiker 

You don't get much feedback because people are too lazy to replace the old fire with yours and check it in game :) I have only checked it in my image viewer and I was worried that some frames drastically change vertical position of the fire, this looks very unnatural.

• The Truth is in here

You can easily test the new fire by using the current HRP Update Pack build which is available via the official download link (13.8 MB) which has been removed from my site temporarily until it goes final. It contains everything released since HRP v4.0 including the new fire.

Anyway, I will again emphasize this is NOT the final update pack release yet, just a testing version for your convenience and my personal backup purposes.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 27 May 2009 - 09:30 AM

I have to report a microscopical estetic bug in unofficial Update. Now the duke icons in main menu rounds in correctly directions, but:

Posted Image

as you can see the icons (left and right) in 3/4 is too stretch and in profile pose tends to grow in orizzontal.

it's a coding bug?

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

It's not a coding bug; the highres art for this tile is messed up. New renders need to be made.

Share this topic:

• 161 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options