Duke4.net Forums: Duke3D HRP: new/updated art assets thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 161 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke3D HRP: new/updated art assets thread  "Post and discuss new or updated textures/models for the HRP here"

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

For some reason, I hadn't provided four md3 files/replacements while having the defs changed properly. This should be fixed now. These were md2 -> md3 conversions done by Parkar on March 31 which I seem to have missed.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 30 May 2009 - 11:38 AM

User is offline   supergoofy 

forget the frozen red stripper fix
Ignore the fix. SD_Duke was the problem. Clearing cache fixed it

@NightFright, I'm sorry that I bothered you with the p.m. for nothing.

This post has been edited by supergoofy: 30 May 2009 - 12:03 PM

• The Truth is in here

View Postsupergoofy, on May 30 2009, 09:36 PM, said:

forget the frozen red stripper fix
Ignore the fix. SD_Duke was the problem. Clearing cache fixed it

@NightFright, I'm sorry that I bothered you with the p.m. for nothing.

Well, at least the issue with the four models was real, and that since March 31. So it wouldn't say the whole thing was for nothing. The error didn't show up earlier because I hadn't included a new props.def until recently.

Please download new update beta and see if the problem still exists. It should be fixed since Parkar's md3s have been included. My mistake was not to pack these files into the update pack while they were present in the SVN build. This happens if you don't pay enough attention to the changelog. Bottom line being: I screwed up.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 30 May 2009 - 12:35 PM

User is offline   PimpUigi 

OK, grabbing the beta again. (once you update it)

And you guys should know by now to never run the game with texture caching.
That's a broken feature.

This post has been edited by PimpUigi: 30 May 2009 - 12:46 PM

• The Truth is in here

If you have a very recent and fast machine (I now own Intel Quad @2.66 GHz, 3GB DDR3 RAM, nvidia GF 9800GT), the non-cached levels will load so fast you won't notice they are not pre-cached, anyway. :) Besides, deactivating compression will also improve skybox quality.

I have a Core 2 Duo E6600, 2 GB DDR2 800, and an 8800 GTS 512 (computer is three years old now)

After I disabled texture caching, and deactivated compression, my minute long loading times disappeared completely.
Levels load in three seconds, and never stutter, or freeze, or pop, or anything.

The game runs flawlessly.
And as an added bonus, since I'm always popping things in and out of my HRP files, I don't ever have to worry about "somehow the wrong content loaded."

This post has been edited by PimpUigi: 30 May 2009 - 01:08 PM

• The Truth is in here

Yeah. I think the general cache enabling recommendation should be restricted to older, quite badly constituted machines only (below let's say 1.5 GHz single-core, 512MB RAM and GF 5xxx series or so, no idea). But it's possible those machines run the game just fine, hard to tell. Just experiment with it, but potentially, caching files causes problems, especially when you update contents that has already been cached.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 30 May 2009 - 01:11 PM

What do you think about the handgun muzzle flash appearing at the back on the handgun????

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostPimpUigi, on May 31 2009, 04:42 AM, said:

And you guys should know by now to never run the game with texture caching.
That's a broken feature.

No, I'm NEVER get any problems with texture caching.
But, if some textures f***ed up or some weird display problems happens.
I will killed the "textures" and "textures.cache" files(in the eduke32 directory), then try again. Usually, it will back to normal.

My machine is AMD A64 X2 3600+, 2GB DDR2 800, MSI NX8600GT 256MB... it should be older/slower than yours. :)

(Of course, the loading time on the first run is long. But it should be fast when next time you load the same level. Disable cache should make it slow every time you load level if you don't have any cached data.)

BTW, you should kill the texture caches files when every time you update HRP, SD_duke, mods or whatever. Because the old caches will cause problems.

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 31 May 2009 - 02:55 AM

BTW, have you tried running the game without texture caching enabled?
And without any compression?

View PostPimpUigi, on May 31 2009, 10:56 PM, said:

BTW, have you tried running the game without texture caching enabled?
And without any compression?

Yes, I get about 20-30(without compression) or 30-45(with all compressions) seconds in E1L1...

But If I enabled texture caching, when second time(or more) I load E1L1, it just about 5-8 seconds to loaded.(Saved games too, but that progress bar is not accurate at all.)

I always killed cache file when I enable/disable texture caching. Because my eDuke32 still read cache file even I disabled texture caching, I don't know why...

Is "Precache Hi Res Textures" turned off??

That should make the difference.

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

Why are people so against the texture cache. I have never had any major problems with it before. When I install an update I sometimes have to clear the cache but usually it works fine.

I feel I should say "don't knock it until you tried it" but as NightFright pointed out, it has different results on everyone's computers.

However, I think it should result in close to no loading time on everyone's computers as well.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Unless you have a fast PC you will make good use of the texture cache other wise you could go with out it.

With it turned off I have a 3 second lag from when E1L1 starts. Then another few seconds when you transport to the next area down the vent shaft. This is going on a:

2.66 Ghz Intel P4 (single core)
2 GB Ram
Radeon HD 3650 512 MB (AGP)
Win XP SP3

User is offline   Jason S. 

Has anyone mentioned the idle animation problem. Statues or other walk in place. I remember a Cycloptic Emperor made me think he was an enemy when he first shown. Other stuff, like paintings or other, are a pain to look at too.

I remember the Nightmare map where the ep.2 last boss is running loose was alot better under non-model mode. The sprite just kept outsude, but the 3d one was completely inside the house as it ran passed windows or doors! The small creature in the bathroom window was just two arms.

That stuff can wait, but maybe the idle animation can be fixed first. It does happen all around with all enemies actually. I can understand the Trooper when he's crouched as this is replaced by a shooting animation, however, the others aren't even going through their walking animation.

This post has been edited by Jason S.: 01 June 2009 - 04:39 PM

View PostPimpUigi, on May 28 2009, 06:16 AM, said:

More importantly though, why does this happen????
Posted Image

Anyone want to comment on this???
Am I the only one who notices or cares????

This post has been edited by PimpUigi: 01 June 2009 - 05:22 PM

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

That problem also occurred when I was working on the Polymer trailer. I'm not sure what's causing it. :)

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostPimpUigi, on Jun 2 2009, 01:20 PM, said:

Anyone want to comment on this???
Am I the only one who notices or cares????

Why don't you try messing with the DEF and fixing it instead of bringing it up every second post till someone does answer.

Don't I always?????

I'm sorry Commander, maybe you don't know me very well.
I know it's easy to forget how I like to mess around with the def files.

I'm not a programming beast, but it's not like I'm [too] lazy.

I would just like some acknowledgement, I know there's tons of stuff brought up every minute, and it's really easy to be passed by.
I've lost too many things in my life by being patient, and assuming I've been noticed.

Sorry if I mentioned it too many times though. : (

This post has been edited by PimpUigi: 02 June 2009 - 01:19 AM

• The Truth is in here

It seems to be it is an issue with the model. The muzzleflash is part of the sprite version in this case (contrary to chaingun for example where you have separate flashes), so if this is placed incorrectly, it has to be model-related and may be fixed by either editing firstperson.def (better) or model (worse due to more work).

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

It does not seem to me that the model is at fault. I opened it in NMD3C, and made this animation with all the frames.

Posted Image

View PostPimpUigi, on Jun 1 2009, 11:30 PM, said:

Is "Precache Hi Res Textures" turned off??

That should make the difference.

Yeah, shut down that will loading fast like running without Hi-Res.
But the game will always choked about some seconds when every time you encounter enemies, items, weapons or whaterver, because it NEEDED to load the model textures.

I don't like that, so even it works with me. I still prefer to use pre-cache and waiting, whatever its(mean disable pre-cache) loading time is near 0 second.

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 02 June 2009 - 09:27 PM

Well I guess it's something to look forward to for your next computer. : )
Since me and NightFright can run the game flawlessly without Precache Hi Res Textures.

User is offline   DNV 

Can textures from HRP (any version) be used in Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project? :)

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

View PostDNV, on Jun 14 2009, 08:53 AM, said:

Can textures from HRP (any version) be used in Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project? :)

Technically - yes. You may have to convert from PNG as I don't know what format DNMP uses.

Also, you should check the licence for the HRP. DNMP should qualify as a Duke game, but not sure.

User is offline   DNV 

I am interested in the legal side of this issue.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

View PostDNV, on Jun 14 2009, 11:22 AM, said:

I am interested in the legal side of this issue.

If you read the license, it states

3. Any likenesses, characters, sounds, phrases or references specific to
Duke Nukem, 3D Realms Entertainment, or Apogee Software Ltd. appear in this
Work courtesy of 3D Realms Entertainment and are the exclusive property of
3D Realms Entertainment, and are provided only to be used with a legally
acquired copy of Duke Nukem 3D. You may not alter, transform, build upon or
adapt any portion of this Work specifically related to or derived from the
Duke Nukem intellectual property, including likenesses, characters, sounds,
phrases or references for any purpose other than use with a legally acquired
copy of Duke Nukem 3D.

So, in short, no.

You may want to contact the pack maintainers and see if this would work for DNMP, as it was an officially sanctioned and licensed Duke game. The license was put together to stop people ripping the pack off and basically getting 'Free' Duke Nukem art assets in their generic games.

User is offline   DNV 

Thanks for the info. :)

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

View PostHendricks266, on Jun 3 2009, 03:04 AM, said:

It does not seem to me that the model is at fault. I opened it in NMD3C, and made this animation with all the frames.

Before shooting, the muzzleflash model sits behind the gun where you can't see it. On the shooting frame, it's at its tip. Animation interpolation makes it slide very fast and you can sometimes see it where it shouldn't be if you have a very fast or adequately slow framerate. Animation smoothing makes it even worse. The flash should really be inside the tip of the gun instead.

Share this topic:

• 161 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options