Duke4.net Forums: Duke3D HRP: new/updated art assets thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 161 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke3D HRP: new/updated art assets thread  "Post and discuss new or updated textures/models for the HRP here"

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I think the problem is the detail texture. It's adding another layer of wood texture which shouldn't be there.

Try removing this line:
detail { file "highres/detail/wood_v3.png" xscale 0.3 yscale 0.15 }

and see if your result improves.

On the other hand, the normalmap might simply not be defined properly. When using the wrong offset values, the texture won't seem to have any relief effect, but rather stay flat and move into weird positions while being viewed from different angles.

Otherwise, the diffuse map needs to be used since normalmap and specmap are optimized for it. The other texture is for Polymost usage. Most detailmaps aren't needed with Polymer, anyway.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 29 February 2012 - 09:06 AM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Curious noob question: how does this detail stuff work (quite different colors of 749/wood_v3)?

User is offline   Tetsuo 

Wolfenstein '09 had an implementation of detail mapping that I liked where the detail textures had their own subtle normal map. Added a layer of detail that looked quite good to me. If implemented the right way detail mapping can benefit polymer too.

This post has been edited by Tetsuo: 01 March 2012 - 12:40 PM

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

Yeah, we could have detail normal maps, but it would be a full additional texture layer.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Parkar was mentioning something about having separate AO maps for rendering and how you could get a much better effect that way. He was going to do some tests or something and then we never heard anything else about it. What happened with that?

You can add 'detail' textures in X-Normal from a graphic file while baking. You can do the same thing with Blender and I dare say you can with Max. I would say that having detail normal maps would be a bit of a frivolity.

I would push for optimization or improved model handling over something like detail normal maps, but just IMHO.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 01 March 2012 - 03:13 PM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

DEF / file name error:

monsters.def has: skin { pal 18 file "highres/sprites/monsters/4740_queen_12_18.png" }

But the file is named 4740_queen_12.png

Error message during gameplay: Skin highres/sprites/monsters/4740_queen_12_18.png not found.

Shouldn't this already be noticed when parsing the DEFs during startup?

4740_queen_death_12.png should be 4740_queen_death_12_18.png also.

This post has been edited by LeoD: 04 March 2012 - 05:44 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

I made that error over 800 days ago, lol. I fixed monsters.def in the polymer_hrp SVN r299. It is not worth it to rename the file because in SVN, file renames really delete the file and add a new one.

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 04 March 2012 - 08:19 PM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

I've made a script which extracts Polymer/Polymost only HRPs from the repository by parsing the DEF files. As an intended side effect it has revealed a few inconsistencies (already fixed in r311).
I have activated the normal maps of 0124/0125 in textures.def. However, I have no idea about those parallax entries which most normal maps have. I'd appreciate if someone would have a look at that.

In addition I have found more unused stuff:
highres/common/black.png
highres/screen/fonts/digital/digital_minus.png
highres/screen/menu/2493_old.png
highres/sprites/characters/1357_terminarm.md3
highres/sprites/monsters/1960_reconcar_s.png
highres/sprites/props/4387.png
highres/sprites/signs/4378.png

digital_minus is there for completeness I suppose, 4378 needed for 4378_flipped, and reconcar_s awaits improvement.
But what about black, 4387, terminator, and 2493_old? Do they still have a purpose or are they zombies?

View PostHendricks266, on 04 March 2012 - 08:18 PM, said:

I made that error over 800 days ago, lol. I fixed monsters.def in the polymer_hrp SVN r299. It is not worth it to rename the file because in SVN, file renames really delete the file and add a new one.
The next update pack will be big anyway... :)

This post has been edited by LeoD: 09 March 2012 - 06:47 PM

• Weaponized Autism

^ If you are going to rename it then make sure you do the dead skin as well.

• The Truth is in here

In the meantime, I have put Polymer HRP update 5.1.302 on the website. I have decided not to provide the latest version in order to avoid a bloated release. Instead, I "cut" it off just before the Polymost stuff got added. This way, the update pack will still contain the new HUD pistol - which was the most important thing. No more releases will happen until the restructuring of the HRP is finished, otherwise it'll get too stressful and confusing. Good things need time, anyway. :)

This post has been edited by NightFright: 10 March 2012 - 04:55 PM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

The new pistol (r296/r297) seems to break compatibility of DukePlus with the Polymer which has its own pistol definitions but uses the HRP model and skins. This should be dealt with before the next release.
EDIT: Oops, too late. :)

Fixing DukePlus could be done by putting the old pistol skins and models into DUKEPLUS_RESOURCES.
Just changing dukeplus.def would in turn break Polymost compatibility.
I don't like both, there might be other possibilities.

I propose to rename the new pistol in the repository and put the old one back in place for the time being.

This post has been edited by LeoD: 10 March 2012 - 05:01 PM

• Weaponized Autism

While we are on the subject of fixing def errors/warnings:

r312 | h266 | 2012-03-10 19:46:45 -0600 (Sat, 10 Mar 2012) | 2 lines

Define the projections in projections.def as 'tilefromtexture' before defining them as 'texture' to avoid warnings in the log file, and to allow them to be used in Polymer even with hightile disabled.
This information has been added to the def file itself as well.

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 10 March 2012 - 05:49 PM

User is offline   KareBear 

I downloaded the lastest Polymer HRP update.When I applied it the hud shotgun and rpg fovs were distorted and the polymer lighting ceased working.Has this happened to anyone else?

Edit:Does the does the Polymer Hrp have anything to do with OpenGL?I recently modified a setting on my graphics card to get Sin working in OpenGL that might have screwed up eduke.

Edit2:The thing I changed was setting extension limit to on.Is there a way to get the Polymer HRP working with extension limit on or do I have to turn it off again?

This post has been edited by KareBear: 11 March 2012 - 09:05 AM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostKareBear, on 11 March 2012 - 08:44 AM, said:

I downloaded the lastest Polymer HRP update.When I applied it the hud shotgun and rpg fovs were distorted and the polymer lighting ceased working.

That perfectly describes what happens if you use the new HRP without the Polymer renderer. Make sure the Polymer box is checked in the startup window.

User is offline   KareBear 

I always had the Polymer box checked.I just got it working again by setting extension limit to off again.Ill just have to turn it on when i want to play Sin.

User is offline   Spiker 

Polymer HRP rev 313:

- fixed broken normals for the scuba gear (no lighting was showing before).
- added new hands for the pistol.
- adjusted the pistol's fov so that it resembles the sprite even more.
- got rid of unused textures.
- optimizing muzzleflash texture by re-unwrapping it and getting rid of the unused part of the image.

This post has been edited by Trooper Tom: 24 March 2012 - 08:59 PM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostSpiker, on 11 March 2012 - 12:23 PM, said:

- got rid of unused textures.
Used by Polymost HRP. :) I'll take care of that...

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

Whoa, you were right that the new hands look weird. Is that really the mesh that Millenia had? It looks like it had a bunch of subdivision applied or something.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostLeoD, on 10 March 2012 - 04:59 PM, said:

The new pistol (r296/r297) seems to break compatibility of DukePlus with the Polymer which has its own pistol definitions but uses the HRP model and skins.

I uploaded a DP update last night. The pistol did not seem to be broken. Would you mind testing in both renderers? It should work with both, but if not....the new one wins.

• Polymancer

New Clip model tomorrow.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Polymost HRP stuff is back in the repository. I started out using a Polymost directory tree for the conflicting stuff at top level but it turned out that it would be too nasty to maintain. So I pushed down the necessary new folders to the lowest level which leaves the Polymost DEFs in parallel to the normal ones. It's not that confusing IMO.
You can start EDuke32 with -hduke3d_hrp_polymost.def to activate the Polymost HRP.
But the override pack is the preferred method, especially when playing mods like DukePlus which include duke3d.def or duke3d_hrp.def from their own top level DEF file. And only an override pack can contain Polymost maphacks which take care of the model conflicts (only 603 ATM).
Once I've cooled down from this I'll hopefully be ready to start finetuning some file names and locations.
Please reply to this in "my" thread.

This post has been edited by LeoD: 12 March 2012 - 01:48 PM

User is offline   Spiker 

View PostPlagman, on 11 March 2012 - 02:52 PM, said:

Whoa, you were right that the new hands look weird. Is that really the mesh that Millenia had? It looks like it had a bunch of subdivision applied or something.

It's Parkar's hand. However I've noticed it was subdivided by someone for the chaingun so I decided to add one level for pistol as well. I've tried very hard to get best of it. With this model I doubt it could look any better, I've tried like 100 times and it was always inferior to this. If anyone can make it look better go ahead but it probably will go in vain.

Edit: I could probably tweak the clip hand more but the right hand is decent I think.

This post has been edited by Spiker: 11 March 2012 - 10:01 PM

• Polymancer

New clip model. Spiker, I'll send you the blend for use in the HUD pistol.

Check the spec settings for the hand. The originals had a strange blue spec map. I did a darker, mono one to try to get it looking better in Polymer.
Attached File  0040_DukeClip.zip (495.06K)
Number of downloads: 269

User is offline   Spiker 

View PostTea Monster, on 11 March 2012 - 11:27 PM, said:

New clip model. Spiker, I'll send you the blend for use in the HUD pistol.

Check the spec settings for the hand. The originals had a strange blue spec map. I did a darker, mono one to try to get it looking better in Polymer.
Attachment 0040_DukeClip.zip

I've sent you an e-mail as well. Hope you got it. :wub: Gosh it's so tempting to reveal your secret :)

User is offline   Mark 

We already know his secret. :)

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: TeaMonster.jpg

• The Truth is in here

I remember those! A pity we removed them, that was fun. xD

• Polymancer

Marked, don't flash those screens around, I've just managed to get Interpol off my trail from last time! :)

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Trooper Tom, firstperson is broken as of r329. No clip in hand when reloading the pistol. Tea Monster's 0040_clip* are missing.
Error: file 'highres/sprites/pickups/0040_clip_d.png' does not exist
Error: file 'highres/sprites/pickups/0040_clip_n.png' does not exist
Error: file 'highres/sprites/pickups/0040_clip_s.png' does not exist
Invalid frame name on line highres/sprites/firstperson.def:118
Removing model 44 due to errors.

User is offline   Spiker 

I forgot I've messed with it and that's why it was accidentally included. The new clip doesn't look too good in game but the old one doesn't bother me much so I will get back to it when more important thing are done. Could you be so kind as to revert the defs back to the old clip for the time being? I don't really know how to find the old def. Thanks

User is offline   Mark 

View PostNightFright, on 13 March 2012 - 12:33 AM, said:

I remember those! A pity we removed them, that was fun. xD

If we ever decide to include them again I have them here.

Share this topic:

• 161 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options