Duke4.net Forums: Duke3D HRP: new/updated art assets thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 161 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke3D HRP: new/updated art assets thread  "Post and discuss new or updated textures/models for the HRP here"

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Wow. No that room does not look that way to me at all, actually. (same on ambient level 0.25, except darker obviously). Also, using 1.5 Atomic GRP.

Posted Image

But the maphacks are functioning because there are maphack polymer lights active in the map like so:

Posted Image

Posted Image

The textures do exist in my polymer folder and are referenced by def files.

EDIT: It seems they are not entered into the maphack file, however (textures 9000 and 9001). Which is strange because I update my polymer pack frequently. Do the maphacks included in the Polymer HRP SVN not contain the projection definitions? How can I add it manually or where can I get up-to-date maphacks?

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 01 April 2012 - 10:43 AM

User is offline   Spiker 

WIP. I went for some more realistic proportions. Any thoughts?

Posted Image

• The Sarien Encounter

The question is, how does the animation look?

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Looks good, how does the spec behave?

User is offline   Mark 

Is my perception screwy or does anyone else think the aim cursor is high and to the right of where the barrel is pointing in all the pics on this page?

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 01 April 2012 - 10:27 AM, said:

EDIT: It seems they are not entered into the maphack file, however (textures 9000 and 9001). Which is strange because I update my polymer pack frequently. Do the maphacks included in the Polymer HRP SVN not contain the projection definitions? How can I add it manually or where can I get up-to-date maphacks?

http://svn.eduke32.c...ath=%2FE1L1.mhk

If your maphack file looks different from that, then it's not the newer version. Maybe whoever packaged the HRP files you were getting packages the maphacks separately? Where exactly did you get it?

• Polymancer

OK, in that other thread, I did make a silly 'April Fools' joke.

They won't be ready by Monday.

They aren't finished by any means, and they don't have teeth yet, but what do you think?

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 01 April 2012 - 02:13 PM

User is offline   Green 

They look fantastic, Tea Monster! :)

• Polymancer

Thanks! :)

User is offline   Hank 

View PostTea Monster, on 01 April 2012 - 02:12 PM, said:

They aren't finished by any means, and they don't have teeth yet, but what do you think?

I am not qualified to think - how about Posted Image Posted Image

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I'm excited, the shotgun and those 3 bad guys have been the lowest common denominator in the HRP for a while now, and updating them to look fantastic is giving me a warm fuzzy feeling inside Posted Image

Edit: I hope the shotgun isn't an april fools joke, it's the 2nd of april for me :)

This post has been edited by Micky C: 01 April 2012 - 04:09 PM

User is offline   Mark 

Teamonster said: and they don't have teeth yet, but what do you think?

Those look fantastic. Just give those "old timers" grey hair and old wrinkled skin. They won't need teeth. :)

This post has been edited by Marked: 01 April 2012 - 04:39 PM

Pig cop looks the most impressive out of the three, I think. I'd guess lizman is probably the most unfinished of the three right now? Liztroop looks pretty advanced, I'm just not sure if we agree on what it should look like. Maybe teeth will settle the deal, I think the sides of the lower jaw are what stands out the most, maybe. Impressing work overall, though. I hope we can get a skin that's on par with the great meshes these will produce when sculpting is done.

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostPlagman, on 01 April 2012 - 01:40 PM, said:

http://svn.eduke32.c...ath=%2FE1L1.mhk

If your maphack file looks different from that, then it's not the newer version. Maybe whoever packaged the HRP files you were getting packages the maphacks separately? Where exactly did you get it?

No, my maphack is exactly like that. Where are the projection definitions in that file? Either way, with that maphack it's still not working.

Posted Image

Very nice!

View PostPlagman, on 01 April 2012 - 05:41 PM, said:

Pig cop looks the most impressive out of the three, I think. I'd guess lizman is probably the most unfinished of the three right now? Liztroop looks pretty advanced, I'm just not sure if we agree on what it should look like. Maybe teeth will settle the deal, I think the sides of the lower jaw are what stands out the most, maybe. Impressing work overall, though. I hope we can get a skin that's on par with the great meshes these will produce when sculpting is done.

I echo what Plagman said. The pig cop looks the most impressive. The liztroop looks strange, but that's probably due to not having teeth yet. They all look quite impressive, though. Can't wait to see the final products!

User is offline   Spiker 

View PostMarked, on 01 April 2012 - 01:37 PM, said:

Is my perception screwy or does anyone else think the aim cursor is high and to the right of where the barrel is pointing in all the pics on this page?

True. However the sprite also has a weird angle, I guess I should avoid comparing the two and make it look as good as possible. It's extremly easy to fix

View PostTea Monster, on 01 April 2012 - 01:16 PM, said:

Looks good, how does the spec behave?

It's not yet adjusted. The thing that irks me the most is that the diffuse color seems to have great influence on the specularity output. I always thought it should only depend on the specular map.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 01 April 2012 - 12:57 PM, said:

The question is, how does the animation look?

It's not done yet but it definately will be better than the last time as there won't be any scaling involved.

Posted Image

Those critters surely deserve a new animation system and more polymer tweaks. They seem to beg for it. For now they are very unhappy.

View PostMicky C, on 01 April 2012 - 04:08 PM, said:

Edit: I hope the shotgun isn't an april fools joke, it's the 2nd of april for me :)

I never celebrate that silly day.

EDIT: Oh, TeaMonster did not show one more enemy which is close to being done. However that one is not sculpted.

This post has been edited by Trooper Tom: 01 April 2012 - 08:27 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

Here's a question. I recall something someone made for EDuke32 that enabled perfect model collision detection. Is that a part of the HRP itself now or is it more complex than that? It seems like it's been forgotten about. Why wasn't it integrated? I say this not really knowing exactly how it worked. I recall there was a lot of DEF or CON coding involved or something?

Could something like be the beginnings of a rudimentary physics system? I know the two aren't related really in any way as far as implementation goes, but one would definitely compliment the other I'd imagine. And I also realize that a physics system would be an entirely different and more complicated process than collision detection.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 01 April 2012 - 08:43 PM

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 01 April 2012 - 07:22 PM, said:

No, my maphack is exactly like that. Where are the projection definitions in that file? Either way, with that maphack it's still not working.

At the end, the light with tile 9000 is the grating, while the 4 lights with tile 9001 are the four apartment lights. On your secret aparment shot, the green light next to the security screen isn't even there. Something is fundamentally more wrong than just projections not working here. Did you change E1L1.map in any way or apply a patch? The slightest change would cause sector numbers to change, throwing away a good portion of the maphacks.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 01 April 2012 - 08:41 PM, said:

Here's a question. I recall something someone made for EDuke32 that enabled perfect model collision detection. Is that a part of the HRP itself now or is it more complex than that? It seems like it's been forgotten about. Why wasn't it integrated? I say this not really knowing exactly how it worked. I recall there was a lot of DEF or CON coding involved or something?

Could something like be the beginnings of a rudimentary physics system? I know the two aren't related really in any way as far as implementation goes, but one would definitely compliment the other I'd imagine. And I also realize that a physics system would be an entirely different and more complicated process than collision detection.

I don't recall anything like that; are you talking about clipshapes? They only allow you to use mapster32 to trace a custom collision box for a given sprite, but that's about it.

View PostTrooper Tom, on 01 April 2012 - 08:03 PM, said:

It's not yet adjusted. The thing that irks me the most is that the diffuse color seems to have great influence on the specularity output. I always thought it should only depend on the specular map.

If you have a specular map defined, the diffuse color totally stops contributing to the specular component. If you don't have a specular map defined, the diffuse color does modulate the specular component. Any other behavior would be a bug, but looking at the lighting model this seems to work fine.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

The Pigcop and Enforcer look to be progressing marvelously. The Trooper does, however, look very goofy, and more akin to the Duke64 incarnation.

This is the best image I could find of the original render. I'm not sure if there is anything better out there, but it'd really help here if anyone has it. (The old HRP model doesn't look too bad either, as far as general anatomy.)

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 02 April 2012 - 02:56 PM

User is offline   Roma Loom 

• Loomsday Device

There's definitely middle finger figure in this pic.

User is offline   Mia Max 

Posted Image

The Pigcop model is already done.
Plagman told me that he will include my version of the pigcop.

View PostPlagman, on 01 April 2012 - 06:25 AM, said:

Can you post your edited skin for the pig cop? I think they look good; enforcer needs a little more work but I can commit the pig cop one to the HRP as is.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0001.jpg

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

It's April 2nd now... :)

User is online   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostMia Max, on 01 April 2012 - 09:36 PM, said:

The Pigcop model is already done.
Plagman told me that he will include my version of the pigcop.

I think you're missing the point. New model ≠ edited skin.

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 01 April 2012 - 09:42 PM

User is offline   Mia Max 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 01 April 2012 - 09:38 PM, said:

It's April 2nd now... :)

I thought in america it still would be april 1st.

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostPlagman, on 01 April 2012 - 09:01 PM, said:

At the end, the light with tile 9000 is the grating, while the 4 lights with tile 9001 are the four apartment lights. On your secret aparment shot, the green light next to the security screen isn't even there. Something is fundamentally more wrong than just projections not working here. Did you change E1L1.map in any way or apply a patch? The slightest change would cause sector numbers to change, throwing away a good portion of the maphacks.

Well, will wonders never cease. Apparently I had a very old and outdated E1L1 maphack file in my EDuke32 root directory that I had completely forgotten about. I must have tried out a very early version before it was integrated into the SVN. The textures now show up along with a variety of random blinking lights on the main street. Is that normal?

View PostPlagman, on 01 April 2012 - 09:02 PM, said:

I don't recall anything like that; are you talking about clipshapes? They only allow you to use mapster32 to trace a custom collision box for a given sprite, but that's about it.

Hmm I guess that must be it. I had thought it worked in-game as well. I recall someone designing a "map" completely out of a model with it.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Regarding the E1L1 light projection:
This is not included with maphacks, the info is stored in projections.def, at least AFAIK. If you have that file, it should work.

Regarding the new shotgun model:
It's a really good start. The old model already looked better with modified FOV, but I guess remaking it completely will be the best solution, especially after the pistol remake has been added recently.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 03 April 2012 - 03:13 AM

User is offline   Diaz 

The projection texture is defined in projections.def, but I believe the maphack is needed to create the light with the appropiate parameters, too.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

As you can see, the hacks for tiles 9000/9001 are included, so it cannot be a problem with maphacks themselves, they contain the info. I will check with my custom HRP build at home later tonight.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 03 April 2012 - 06:45 AM

User is offline   Spiker 

Any idea why this line isn't working? hud { tile 2615 hide } I know I used it in the past and it worked. Here is the full definition.

// Shotgun (2613)
model "highres/sprites/firstperson/2613_shotgun.md3" {
scale 1.7
skin { pal 0 surface 0 file "highres/sprites/firstperson/2613_shotgun.png" }
skin { pal 0 surface 1 file "highres/sprites/pickups/0028_shotgun_d.png" specpower 20 specfactor 1.5 }
normal { pal 0 surface 1 file "highres/sprites/pickups/0028_shotgun_n.png" }
specular { pal 0 surface 1 file "highres/sprites/pickups/0028_shotgun_s.png" }
skin { pal 0 surface 2 file "highres/sprites/firstperson/2615x.png" }
glow { pal 0 surface 2 file "highres/sprites/firstperson/2615x.png" }
frame { name "frame1" tile 2613 }
frame { name "frame2" tile 2616 }
anim { frame0 "frame3" frame1 "frame5" fps 5.6 flags 1 }
frame { name "frame3" tile0 2617 tile1 2619 }
hud { tile 2613 xadd 0.12 yadd 1.15 zadd -1 angadd -24 fov 350 }
hud { tile 2615 hide }
hud { tile 2616 xadd -0.02 yadd 1.15 zadd -1 angadd -24 fov 350 }
hud { tile 2617 xadd -0.06 yadd 1.15 zadd -1 angadd -24 fov 350 }
hud { tile 2618 xadd -0.12 yadd 1.15 zadd -1 angadd -24 fov 350 }
hud { tile 2619 xadd -0.16 yadd 1.15 zadd -1 angadd -24 fov 350 }
}

Share this topic:

• 161 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options