Duke4.net Forums: Duke3D HRP: new/updated art assets thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 161 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke3D HRP: new/updated art assets thread  "Post and discuss new or updated textures/models for the HRP here"

User is online   Phredreeke 

Here's one tile, split into three different sections based on different colors used. I will process these tomorrow, but I'll post these here now, giving you a chance to use them on your own upscaling attempts.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: tile0874.png

rotor go brrrrr

Posted Image

(before MrFlibble asks, I used Nickelback for this followed by downscaling and running through BCGone-Detailed, then I did my usual redithering filter)

This post has been edited by Phredreeke: 07 June 2021 - 09:08 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

That's a big chopper, isn't it. Never really noticed how big it is.

Another tile where I spent a disproportionate amount of time relative to how frequently it is used (in just one level in the original four episodes, who here knows which one?)

https://imgsli.com/NTcxNDc

Now this is a rotated version of tile 734. So, to avoid the aliasing present from back when it was rotated in the 90s I decided to take the upscale of tile 734 and tile and rotate to match this one. After this I followed the ordinary redithering and repalettisation process.

Here's the upscale of 734 for comparison

Posted Image

User is offline   Aleks 

View PostPhredreeke, on 07 June 2021 - 04:30 PM, said:

Another tile where I spent a disproportionate amount of time relative to how frequently it is used (in just one level in the original four episodes, who here knows which one?)

Freeway, of course! Just wanted to add that it is pretty frequently used in user maps for trimming, as this is basically one of the very few textures with proper diagonal lines, so ideal for stuff like staircase railings etc.

https://imgsli.com/NTczNDI

Another composite of multiple upscales. Among the models used were Pixelperfect, Sourcetex2, Spongebob Reloaded-SWAG

User is offline   MrFlibble 

It will probably look fine in the game as it is, but the screen panels could use a few tweaks here and there. In fact, an artist would likely have done a better job redoing the panel manually, while the map, yes, that looks good with the AI.

I did some further tweaking afterwards

Posted Image

The sides of the boxes on the grey section have their sides straightened. The water on the map was replaced with an upscale using pixelperfect. The land parts of the map uses sourcetex2 (which was used for the whole map in the previous image I posted)

I ended up replacing the green sections on the sides again afterwards (the slightly curved edge was caused by me using the wrong palette when isolating the green parts of the image)

Both the grey bottom panel and the green sides used pixelperfect model with my redithering script (palettes applied manually for each section) while the various lights used spongebob reloaded-swag which was downscaled with a pixel offset. Again palettes were manually applied for each piece and for some intensity was boosted beforehand.

User is offline   Mark 

I know its an optical illusion caused by the highlight and shading but the speaker grille and the panel to the left of it look like they angle up slightly on the right. Also the knobs on the right look bent. I don't have a pic of the original in front of me right now. Does it look like that too?

Posted Image

User is offline   Mark 

The original looks straight to me.

I'm getting the feeling that the more we're trying to automate the upscale process, the more manual labour it requires to get these details straight.

Posted Image

The text MELTDOWN was copied from the HRP.

The radiation logo in the back was upscaled with Digipaint, then downscaled to 50% and processed with BCGone_detailed

After some feedback about tile 4933 (the first meltdown tile) I tweaked it a bit. Also did the nominal tile

Posted Image

Posted Image

Using a combination of Spongebob-Reloaded SWAG and Pixelperfect.

YandereInpaint was used to remove the text from the picture, the result was then upscaled using Pixelperfect and overlaid over the upscale of the prior unlit frame (upscaled using Spongebob SWAG model interpolated slightly with XBRDD and downscaled with a pixel offset)

I palettised the image with a red only palette with dithering on and overlaid it using a mask (made by taking the red channel and subtracting the other two channels), the same mask was also used to add the brownish tint to the text layer below.

User is offline   Mark 

Years ago when I made the previous HRP tiles for that I thought they looked great. I looked at them again and I see I could do much better today.

I've updated the green boxes. Top row is the original tile, bottom row is the old upscale, middle row is the new one

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: 0373-0375-comparison.png

I made this while upscaling the tile. it's tile 0373 except without the EDF logo (because I inserted it from a different tile later)

Maybe someone will find it useful... or maybe not I dunno.

OKAY this was meant to go in the community resource thread XD

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: tile0373-noedf.png

This post has been edited by Phredreeke: 16 June 2021 - 02:34 PM

Some questions
- Do we call this "Enhanced Resource Pack" or does anyone have any better name for it?
- Should it come with voxels out of the box? I want to avoid this from happening

User is offline   Avenger 

View PostPhredreeke, on 18 June 2021 - 06:45 PM, said:

Some questions
- Do we call this "Enhanced Resource Pack" or does anyone have any better name for it?
- Should it come with voxels out of the box? I want to avoid this from happening

Voxels have nothing to do with high resolution.

Replacing a a 2D spite with a 3D model doesn't mean it's upscaled.

I'd think that including instructions within the zip on how to incorporate the two would make more sense.

Unless of course you have plans to upscale all the voxels as well. Then you could rename the project "HRVP" or something along those lines.

This post has been edited by Avenger: 21 June 2021 - 08:55 AM

I'd refer to NightFright's post regarding it

View PostNightFright, on 18 September 2020 - 06:49 AM, said:

Inspired by Lunick's suggestion over at another thread, I am proposing a new direction in order to compile a major new HRP release after all. We have been talking often about this in several threads on many occasions, but it's time to make it official.

The general idea is a complete overhaul of the pack regarding its core components, i.e. textures and sprite replacements. To put it short: Open trashcan, put highres textures and models we have inside (all of them, no regrets), close trashcan, forget about it and go ahead with adding more faithful and (far) more consistent artwork. Some of the work is actually already done.

HRP 5.0 should/could contain
1) AI upscales of all the original textures (with optional Vacation/DC/NWinter packs)
2) Voxel pack (instead of models)
3) Maphacks (we basically have them already, including necessary adjustments for voxels)
4) SC-55 Music Pack (as before)

The intention is to keep these four packs separate, i.e. it wouldn't be a single file, but any release would bundle those together. Advantage would be that updates for each of the components is possible at any time. Since basically only the voxel pack (with maphacks included) might receive updates after release, this would keep download size for general HRP updates fairly small.

Later in the thread several people suggested dropping the HRP name to avoid confusion with the old HRP, Tea Monster suggested Enhanced Resolution Pack. Since this pack wouldn't be limited to just textures and sprites I modified that slightly to Enhanced Resource Pack.

If you don't want to play with voxels it's as easy as writing r_voxels 0 in console to disable them

I would like to release this pack on July 1st, the 30th anniversary of the original Duke Nukem (I was initially hoping for April but it was far from ready by then). Last week I sent out a WIP copy of the pack to people for testing and aside from me failing to include the DEFs for Fox's skyboxes and some of the stripper's frames being less than stellar there doesn't seem to be any issues
I'm trying to package it in a way that an updated voxel pack can easily be dropped in by the user. One thing that won't happen for the first release will be Vaca/NW support. We can't conditionally load DEF files based on the expansion running, and none of the level textures for them are upscaled yet anyway.

User is offline   Avenger 

View PostPhredreeke, on 21 June 2021 - 10:19 AM, said:

I'd refer to NightFright's post regarding it

Later in the thread several people suggested dropping the HRP name to avoid confusion with the old HRP, Tea Monster suggested Enhanced Resolution Pack. Since this pack wouldn't be limited to just textures and sprites I modified that slightly to Enhanced Resource Pack.

If you don't want to play with voxels it's as easy as writing r_voxels 0 in console to disable them

I would like to release this pack on July 1st, the 30th anniversary of the original Duke Nukem (I was initially hoping for April but it was far from ready by then). Last week I sent out a WIP copy of the pack to people for testing and aside from me failing to include the DEFs for Fox's skyboxes and some of the stripper's frames being less than stellar there doesn't seem to be any issues
I'm trying to package it in a way that an updated voxel pack can easily be dropped in by the user. One thing that won't happen for the first release will be Vaca/NW support. We can't conditionally load DEF files based on the expansion running, and none of the level textures for them are upscaled yet anyway.

I haven't tried any voxel packs in a while but when I did they were all low resolution similar to how the default game shipped so in that regard they wouldn't fit in and the HRP being redone from my understanding was mainly for consistency reasons.

If the newest voxels are of high resolution just like all the examples of the assets posted most recently in this thread then nightfright's system is ideal and a vast improvement from the previous pack.

• The Sarien Encounter

Just playing Duke3D with the Polymer HRP again and noticed that HUD models are way off position. Sort of "zoomed in". Also, when slimes eat your face they don't follow you exactly when you move around the map, they're kind of slow. Anyone else running into this?

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 19 August 2021 - 09:03 AM

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 19 August 2021 - 09:02 AM, said:

Just playing Duke3D with the Polymer HRP again and noticed that HUD models are way off position. Sort of "zoomed in". Also, when slimes eat your face they don't follow you exactly when you move around the map, they're kind of slow. Anyone else running into this?

Yes, I just opened an issue about it here: https://voidpoint.io...32/-/issues/190

The greenslime issue is related to the camera smoothing at low framerates, and will be fixed in an upcoming patch.

• The Sarien Encounter

Oh nice.

After whining about the imperfections of ESRGAN yet again, I went to the Model Database and checked out a few new ones. It appears that the new versions of Universal Upscaler by Mutin_Choler can produce some pretty decent results with textures, especially the Sharper variant:
Attached Image: 2x-aliendoor1_4x_UniversalUpscalerV2-Sharper_103000_G.png Attached Image: 2x-telepad_4x_UniversalUpscalerV2-Sharper_103000_G.png Attached Image: 2x-tile0277_4x_UniversalUpscalerV2-Sharper_103000_G.png Attached Image: 2x-bookshelf_4x_UniversalUpscalerV2-Sharper_103000_G.png Attached Image: 2x-door2_4x_UniversalUpscalerV2-Sharper_103000_G.png Attached Image: 2x-poster1_4x_UniversalUpscalerV2-Sharper_103000_G.png
BTW, I downscaled those to 2x using MSPaint (the Win8.1 version) out of all programmes, as I recently discovered by accident that it is quite apt at downsampling pixel art. Who knew?

This post has been edited by MrFlibble: 22 October 2021 - 12:39 PM

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Is this guy violating the HRP license by offering HRP texture rips fpr Doom?
https://forum.zdoom....f891bf37d5f9804

Certainly, whether anyone would make a fuss about is a different matter

This post has been edited by Phredreeke: 20 June 2022 - 11:25 AM

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Well, I will notify him about it, anyway.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I've asked this before and I don't think I ever got a definitive answer. What are people's opinions on replacing the current critters with the ones from HHR?

I'll say it again in that the HRP project should have been kept as it was. The aims and means of this project is different and separate from those of the HRP which uses models and hand-created textures. A new project and a new thread should have been created to accommodate it and prevent confusion with the old project.

Share this topic:

• 161 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options