Duke4.net Forums: EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer! - Duke4.net Forums

• 210 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer!  "talk about the wonders of EDuke32 and the new renderer"

User is offline   Jblade 

Pause and resume sounds instead of just stopping them when opening menus or pausing the game.

Just saw this in the synthesis, fucking amazing! :dukeaffirmative: Just tested it ingame and it works great.

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

Should save you a few thousand sound files eh? :dukeaffirmative:

User is offline   Jblade 

I've already gone through most of the cutscenes and condensed sound files into one longer one, so sadly not :dukeaffirmative: this is still really useful though, even from just making playing in general more pleasent. Having to pause whilst a long sound is playing and then having it silent always sucked but I thought it just one of those things.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Speaking of the new sound pausing feature: would it be possible to add a flag for sound definitions so that sounds work the same way when stopping/starting for reasons other than pausing or menu access? Here is my use case: I have the star wars cantina song replacing the bar music, and the replacement is about 2 minutes long. If the player steps outside the range of the sound, and then steps back into range, the sound stops and then starts over from the beginning. It would be better if it resumed from the last point (maybe better still if it resumed from the place it _would_ have been if it had been playing the whole time, but I have a feeling that is asking too much).

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Trooper Dan, on 02 February 2016 - 11:03 AM, said:

(maybe better still if it resumed from the place it _would_ have been if it had been playing the whole time, but I have a feeling that is asking too much).

This way makes much more sense, and it sounds feasible. We would just need to internally setmusicposition based on totalclock when the sound comes in range. Effectively, it would be like the sound starts when the level starts and keeps playing/looping silently for the duration of the map.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Hendricks266, on 02 February 2016 - 12:06 PM, said:

Effectively, it would be like the sound starts when the level starts and keeps playing/looping silently for the duration of the map.

I suppose that would be fine, although there is a case to be made that the sound should remain at time 0 until the player is in range for the first time. Imagine that the sound is a looping announcement over an intercom. It might be important that the player hears the first part of it when entering the airport terminal (or whatever) but after that point it's fine if it just keeps looping.

• Weaponized Autism

I suppose there are use cases for both ways of playing a sound. I don't see why we can't expand the flags part of definesound and start adding more bits.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Hendricks266, on 02 February 2016 - 12:24 PM, said:

I suppose there are use cases for both ways of playing a sound. I don't see why we can't expand the flags part of definesound and start adding more bits.

Yes, our options for sound manipulation are very basic and limited compared with our options for other aspects of the game.

User is offline   Jblade 

Yeah it would be nice for better support for stuff like echo and reverb effects as well (current one is kinda limited)

EDIT: also an aside, just checked DAMAGEHPLANE and it's very useful although setting RETURN to 131072 doesn't seem to do anything despite the wiki saying this should spawn glass and the glass breaking sound.

This post has been edited by Jblade: 02 February 2016 - 03:00 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Any chance of getting flipping, floor alligning and pitching working for voxels in the classic renderer through some kind of coordinate transformation?

• Honored Donor

I have some complaints I've been meaning to make for a while about the 'new' features to use left and middle mouse buttons to select things without holding anything on the keyboard.

1. There have been many times where I went to click and drag a wall, however the cursor was just far enough from the point that it creates a brand new selection box as I drag, therefore losing my selection.
2. The middle mouse button actually already had a use: When you held it in isometric view mode it allowed you to shift the z coordinate of the player which was very useful for greying out various layers in TROR. Yes there's still page up/down for that but it's much more discrete and often misses the mark.

IMO unless good work-arounds for the above points can be implemented, it's entirely feasible to revert to the old behaviour. IMO the new features haven't been explicitly documented yet (and if they have then they weren't advertised at all), and I'd bet good money that 95% of mappers out there are still using shift and alt for these functions anyway. I know I am.

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

Some of the new features in mapster 2d mode that really are bugging me are: colored sprites by pixel color of the sprite instead of sprite type, (so many colors are confusing and dark sprites can be missed), flashing selected sprites (you can miss the sprite if is flashing) and finally purple walls are gone, green walls aren't light green anymore ( you can't tell if a wall is blocking, and the new green can be missed)...

-----------------------------------

On another topic:

I already ask this in another thread so I quote my self:

"Concerning EDuke32 how viable is to make a mod that can be played inside another mod. For example there's a map in a mod where you find a huge screen where you can actually play another map of this same mod without leaving the first iteration, once you leave or finish the map you can continue through the original one.

Is it possible or too complex? Does it really worth to code something like that if the game plot is actually exploiting this feature?

EDIT:

What about playing exactly the same mod you are playing and even use the menu to continue playing from any specific saved file? it would be really hilarious if for example you find your self playing the mod in that screen, and even you can kill your self!!!! :whistling: :woot: :P Please somebody tell me this is possible in EDuke!!!!! "

Thanks.

This post has been edited by Mike Norvak: 10 March 2016 - 10:37 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Mike Norvak, on 10 March 2016 - 10:33 PM, said:

"Concerning EDuke32 how viable is to make a mod that can be played inside another mod. For example there's a map in a mod where you find a huge screen where you can actually play another map of this same mod without leaving the first iteration, once you leave or finish the map you can continue through the original one."

It's possible but not exactly as described. The other map would have to be loaded, so you would be leaving the first iteration. However, you could create the illusion that you had never left by using the map caching feature, so that when you step away from the screen, the original map is reloaded and everything is back the way it was. As for difficulty: in any mod that allows map caching (there are a few), you should already be able to do pretty much what you are describing. If you want an image of the"destination map to appear on the view screen, though, you would have to duplicate a small part of the map and set up a camera.

Mike Norvak, on 10 March 2016 - 10:33 PM, said:

What about playing exactly the same mod you are playing and even use the menu to continue playing from any specific saved file? it would be really hilarious if for example you find your self playing the mod in that screen, and even you can kill your self!!!! :whistling: :woot: :P Please somebody tell me this is possible in EDuke!!!!! "

No. Well...I suppose with a lot of work you could kind of fake something like that, but not using actual saved files.

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

Trooper Dan, on 11 March 2016 - 11:43 AM, said:

No. Well...I suppose with a lot of work you could kind of fake something like that, but not using actual saved files.

It was almost a philosophical question and about what the engine is capable to do more than actually a CON coding question.

Trooper Dan, on 11 March 2016 - 11:43 AM, said:

It's possible but not exactly as described. The other map would have to be loaded, so you would be leaving the first iteration. However, you could create the illusion that you had never left by using the map caching feature, so that when you step away from the screen, the original map is reloaded and everything is back the way it was. As for difficulty: in any mod that allows map caching (there are a few), you should already be able to do pretty much what you are describing. If you want an image of the"destination map to appear on the view screen, though, you would have to duplicate a small part of the map and set up a camera.

This answer is already all that is needed to practical purposes :whistling:

Anyway as mere curiosity: I was testing opening multiple iterations of EDuke32 and the saved files work on the other running engines obviously as far as you open the saved file in a new iteration, so you can keep playing it on the next iteration and so on, if the initial applications are closed this works flawlessly.

Concerning EDuke32 possibilities and as a technical fact, my question is if the engine is capable to call a .bat file through an action in game without taking in account visual effects.

User is offline   Jblade 

Is there a limit to the number of voxels that can be defined? I'm having some problems where the last voxels to be loaded instead load up the first voxels to be defined.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

There is, but it's 4096 and I doubt you're hitting it.

User is offline   Kyanos 

Jblade, on 15 March 2016 - 03:56 AM, said:

Is there a limit to the number of voxels that can be defined? I'm having some problems where the last voxels to be loaded instead load up the first voxels to be defined.

TerminX, on 15 March 2016 - 11:31 AM, said:

There is, but it's 4096 and I doubt you're hitting it.

Voxels interact weird with the memory limit, especially in polymost, try setting the cache higher??

This post has been edited by Drek: 15 March 2016 - 12:59 PM

User is offline   Jblade 

I did try that, no dice - I'll go over and take a look but I can't see any kind of typos I made in the list. All I know is that the last few voxels I've defined start getting replaced by the first ones I've defined. I've only got 256 so yeah I can't of reached the limit.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Should be fixed in r5671.

User is offline   Jblade 

yep that fixed it, much appreciated!

This post has been edited by Jblade: 16 March 2016 - 02:17 AM

User is offline   Spiker 

How do you enable gloss maps apart from setting a part of an image transparent in specular map? Because for me and some other people it never worked.

User is offline   Jblade 

If you save a game near an ambient sound, the sound will stop playing until you move away and come back into radius again (I tried other menu options but only going into the save menu and saving did it - basically I think when you save and the menu automatically exits and takes you back into the game is what causes it) Not sure if this is just an engine quirk or whatever but I thought it's worth bringing up.

This post has been edited by Jblade: 18 March 2016 - 05:14 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Jblade, on 18 March 2016 - 05:14 AM, said:

If you save a game near an ambient sound, the sound will stop playing until you move away and come back into radius again (I tried other menu options but only going into the save menu and saving did it - basically I think when you save and the menu automatically exits and takes you back into the game is what causes it) Not sure if this is just an engine quirk or whatever but I thought it's worth bringing up.

Was the sound actually playing when the game saved? Maybe when you restart the game, the sound is still "playing", but it never ends because it isn't actually playing, so it never starts again.

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

Spiker, on 18 March 2016 - 01:52 AM, said:

How do you enable gloss maps apart from setting a part of an image transparent in specular map? Because for me and some other people it never worked.

You set the base specular power/factor of your material with the specularpower / specularfactor DEF tokens in the specular map definition, and then the RGB channels modulate the RGB components of the factor separately, while the Alpha channel modulates the power.

User is offline   Spiker 

Ok, I think that changed something. But how to get reflective surfaces? Like the windows that were once hardcoded.

• Honored Donor

IIRC there's no way to get reflective surfaces like that in the game from the modder's end. I doubt anything's changed since I last looked into it a while back.

User is offline   Jblade 

Would there be a chance you guys could add a similer shortcut to ; and P or V that allows us to set the shade of all selected sectors, walls, and sprites? Or is there already a mapster script or something that adds that functionality?

• Weaponized Autism

Throw this in a .m32 file, adjust to taste, and include it from the console. Select the sectors in question with RALT and do state jbladeshade.

gamevar i 0 0
gamevar j 0 0

defstate jbladeshade
    for i selsectors
    {
        set sector[i].floorshade 0
        set sector[i].ceilingshade 0

for j wallsofsector i
        {
            set wall[j].shade 0
        }

for j spritesofsector i
        {
            set sprite[j].shade 0
        }
    }
ends

Or, a more robust version if you'd like to also be able to select individual sprites and walls with RSHIFT:

gamevar i 0 0
gamevar j 0 0

defstate jbladeshade
    for i selsectors
    {
        set sector[i].floorshade 0
        set sector[i].ceilingshade 0

for j wallsofsector i
        {
            set wall[j].shade 0
        }

for j spritesofsector i
        {
            set sprite[j].shade 0
        }
    }

for i selwalls
    {
        set wall[i].shade 0
    }

for i selsprites
    {
        set sprite[i].shade 0
    }
ends

Third version, has a variable setshade that you can do set setshade 10 from the console instead of changing and reloading the script:

gamevar i 0 0
gamevar j 0 0

gamevar setshade 0 0

defstate jbladeshade
    for i selsectors
    {
        set sector[i].floorshade setshade
        set sector[i].ceilingshade setshade

for j wallsofsector i
        {
            set wall[j].shade setshade
        }

for j spritesofsector i
        {
            set sprite[j].shade setshade
        }
    }

for i selwalls
    {
        set wall[i].shade setshade
    }

for i selsprites
    {
        set sprite[i].shade setshade
    }
ends\

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

In the special functions menu, use the global shade divide with a value of 128. That will set the shade of the whole map to zero.Select the area you want and in the 3D view change the shade. Load the map again so your area with different shade will be copied to the same map.

User is offline   Jblade 

That should do it hendricks, thanks a lot for posting the code!

Share this topic:

• 210 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options