Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] EDuke32 Addon Compilation - Duke4.net Forums

• 68 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] EDuke32 Addon Compilation  "Version 3.13 released on December 6, 2016!"

User is offline   NNC 

I still recommend the V series (V3, V4, V5 and HCR) by Ryan Isenberg for the next update. They are in a nice episodic format like the Aqua series.

I also nominate maps made by Stranger (Power Station, Ruin, Daemonous, Pain, Agony and Starlite Project) for an own compilation. Pain is a DM only map, but the rest are fully functional for SP. They have some interesting gameplay concepts too, like Ruin with the drones, or PS with the clustered enemy locations.

This post has been edited by Nancsi: 19 September 2016 - 11:52 PM

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

The V series is easy to implement since it's just four maps which can be checked quickly. The levels also obviously belong together, so the request is valid and will be implemented. In return, HCR will be removed from the Urban Map Pack (at least now I know that it is a level by Isenberg, lol).

As for a "Stranger Pack"... I wanted to avoid releasing any more addons with levels that aren't part of a continuous episode or map series, as stated earlier on. Just compiling maps made by the same author isn't what the compilation should be about. There are also technical obstacles sometimes - I wanted to add Billy Boy's maps a while ago already, but it failed due to con code conflicts. As soon as you have to switch con files manually to play an addon, it's getting too complicated.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 20 September 2016 - 07:01 AM

I think we can include the Knee Deep addon level for WGrealms 2, to adapt it to the addon compilation it should be enough put all the resources into a .grp and all the rest into a .dat.

https://forums.duke4...&attach_id=6543

It is also evident that Defs and User .CONs need a little update.

Including: Knee_Deep_Defs.CON (73349 bytes)
Knee_Deep_Defs.CON:1665: warning: ignored redefinition of `WINGSND' to 484 (old: 467).
Knee_Deep_Defs.CON:1667: warning: ignored redefinition of `DRAGSHOOT' to 486 (old: 469).
Knee_Deep_Defs.CON:1668: warning: ignored redefinition of `DRAGPAIN' to 487 (old: 470).
Knee_Deep_Defs.CON:1669: warning: ignored redefinition of `DRAGDYING' to 488 (old: 471).
Knee_Deep_Defs.CON:1670: warning: ignored redefinition of `BITEME' to 489 (old: 475).

Including: Knee_Deep_User.CON (80836 bytes)
Knee_Deep.con: In state `kludges':
Knee_Deep.con:8965: warning: malformed `ifvarn' branch
Knee_Deep.con: In state `Gstandstate':
Knee_Deep.con:25112: warning: found `else' with no `if'.
Knee_Deep.con: In state `Gswimstate':
Knee_Deep.con:25225: warning: found `else' with no `if'.
Knee_Deep.con: In event `EVENT_EGS':
Knee_Deep.con:42613: warning: found `else' with no `if'.
Knee_Deep.con:42613: warning: found `else' with no `if'.
Knee_Deep.con:42923: warning: duplicate case ignored.

User is offline   FistMarine 

I was going to suggest the WGR2 addon Knee Deep (or at least suggest it again because I think I already suggested it once before). It would be interesting to have it integrated in the upcoming version but I'm not sure if it is that easy because looking at the screenshots of the addon at Scent 88, the player seems to have 80 health maximum instead of the usual 100, so I suspect the addon changes so you have less max health, which would conflict with the main WGR2 episodes.

Good to see that my earlier suggestion also made in. I'm curious to see if in version 3.0 of the addon, there were indeed outdated versions of those maps or they were already updated.

EDIT: I can definitely confirm that those 4 maps included in addon compilation 3.0 were the outdated versions.

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 20 September 2016 - 09:52 AM

• The Truth is in here

I already tried messing with Knee-Deep and WGR2 in the past and remember running into considerable obstacles regarding con code conflicts.

There would probably be only two ways:
- Integration into WGR2 with the requirement to switch cons in addons.grpinfo manually if you want to play the addon or
- Separate entry for the addon (to be selected through the EDuke32 launcher).

This post has been edited by NightFright: 20 September 2016 - 11:44 AM

I'm for the second option. Having it as a separate entry makes more sense in this case than having it combined in a single grp with option to change the con file. That way you can make it require WGR2, just like how Shark's Cove requires Duke Caribbean in order to work properly. Of course in this case, WGR2 is already included, so you can choose to play both without any problems.

Though I've got to say that the first option doesn't sound too bad either.

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 20 September 2016 - 11:58 PM

User is offline   NNC 

View PostNightFright, on 20 September 2016 - 06:47 AM, said:

The V series is easy to implement since it's just four maps which can be checked quickly. The levels also obviously belong together, so the request is valid and will be implemented. In return, HCR will be removed from the Urban Map Pack (at least now I know that it is a level by Isenberg, lol).

As for a "Stranger Pack"... I wanted to avoid releasing any more addons with levels that aren't part of a continuous episode or map series, as stated earlier on. Just compiling maps made by the same author isn't what the compilation should be about. There are also technical obstacles sometimes - I wanted to add Billy Boy's maps a while ago already, but it failed due to con code conflicts. As soon as you have to switch con files manually to play an addon, it's getting too complicated.

I still think this compilation should be more than just episodic, and should pay tribute to all mappers who did efforts with numerous levels. But since it's your project, this is just my two cents though. None of Stranger's maps are involved in this pack anyway, and while they aren't connected, their style is quite similar.

This post has been edited by Nancsi: 21 September 2016 - 03:27 AM

• The Truth is in here

I have tested both an integrated and a separate version of Knee Deep. In the end, I found the latter approach to be the easier solution. Otherwise you just would have to mess around with the grpinfo file too much, which is what I want to avoid.

Will have a look at those Stranger maps, but I can't promise anything.

*EDIT Sep 24*
I have a special request for you tester guys. It's about "Last Reaction & Water Bases". Could you please playtest WBASE07 "Ace of Clover" in the current version that's included with the addon compilation and see if you can finish the level without issues? I have always wondered about the water pool chamber with the red keycard (called "Pool 1" in the level) where you have to raise the water level with a cube-shaped box featuring 4 switches to get out of the area again. I have never managed to get out of there since the water level remained too low to reach the door through which you entered the pool. The entrance is sloped, but it's not enough to reach it by jumping (jetpack isn't available throughout the whole episode).
Since this is actually a potential showstopper, it would help me a lot if you guys checked if you manage to get out of there without cheating. I have already prepared a version of the map where I raised the sector effectors by 2 units which effectively raises the water level a bit, enabling you to reach the door of the chamber. (Side note: In the room before that pool is a slime babe which isn't properly attached to the ceiling. I have fixed that as well in the upcoming version.). Thanks in advance!

This post has been edited by NightFright: 23 September 2016 - 02:44 PM

User is offline   Polunka 

View PostNightFright, on 21 September 2016 - 04:43 AM, said:

*EDIT Sep 24*
I have a special request for you tester guys. It's about "Last Reaction & Water Bases". Could you please playtest WBASE07 "Ace of Clover" in the current version that's included with the addon compilation and see if you can finish the level without issues? I have always wondered about the water pool chamber with the red keycard (called "Pool 1" in the level) where you have to raise the water level with a cube-shaped box featuring 4 switches to get out of the area again. I have never managed to get out of there since the water level remained too low to reach the door through which you entered the pool. The entrance is sloped, but it's not enough to reach it by jumping (jetpack isn't available throughout the whole episode).
Since this is actually a potential showstopper, it would help me a lot if you guys checked if you manage to get out of there without cheating. I have already prepared a version of the map where I raised the sector effectors by 2 units which effectively raises the water level a bit, enabling you to reach the door of the chamber. (Side note: In the room before that pool is a slime babe which isn't properly attached to the ceiling. I have fixed that as well in the upcoming version.). Thanks in advance!

I might probably find some time to play it tomorrow (September 25th), otherwise I hope someone else will be able to help you out with this (FistMarine, for example).

P.S.: Sorry that I haven't been able to test Oblivion further, I didn't have access to my computer most of the time and this problem will probably persist for an indefinite period of time; I hope I'll be able to test it some day (or someone else will take this task instead of me).

Sorry but I can't help either right now. You will have to count on someone else.

• The Truth is in here

Well, testing is not necessarily needed. I have raised the flood level in the red keycard room of WBASE07 by 1 unit now. This is basically not noticable since it doesn't change the architecture of that room in any way (which is desirable since in general, visible changes should be avoided). The major difference however is that with the water level raised like that, you are able to get out of that room without cheating. I have no idea how people were able to beat that level before otherwise, but I wasn't able to find any complaints about it anywhere, either.

One last improvement in 3.1 will be a small batch file (addons.bat) to launch the compilation. This is meant for technically less experienced users who have problems handling launch parameters with EDuke32.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 26 September 2016 - 06:57 AM

I doubt there is still really much time to propose other entries, whatever...

2015 Mark.'s Graveyard

https://forums.duke4...ease-graveyard/

And it's two pathces. Obviously apply them before eventually work on it.

patch 1

https://forums.duke4...&attach_id=9113

Patch 2

https://forums.duke4...&attach_id=9185

I also point the two RBCP: Russian Build Community Project

RBCP 1

http://m210.duke4.ne...y-build-project

RBCP 2

http://m210.duke4.ne...-build-project2

And the fantasy themed mod Cursed Lands

http://m210.duke4.ne...10-cursed-lands

• The Truth is in here

No new entries for this version any more, sorry. Feature complete. ;)

[NEW] Ruohonen Pack
[NEW] Stranger Pack

I thought you weren't going to add packs anymore. ;)

I also point the two RBCP: Russian Build Community Project

Funnily enough, I also wanted to suggest to add other CBPs such as 1 Hour CBP, 1.5 Hour CBP, 2 Hour CBP, Beach CBP, Russian CBPs and so on. I had that suggestion in mind last month but I thought it wouldn't be worth and the CBP series in addon compilation should be just the main series. Still, it would be nice to have the whole CBP series in one package. Maybe in the other next update. :D

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 28 September 2016 - 08:12 AM

• The Truth is in here

Those will be the last ones for sure. Otherwise, this also would never end. And I want to see some light at the end of the tunnel eventually, you know. Can't do this forever, my private life doesn't allow it for much longer.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostNightFright, on 26 September 2016 - 06:45 AM, said:

Well, testing is not necessarily needed. I have raised the flood level in the red keycard room of WBASE07 by 1 unit now. This is basically not noticable since it doesn't change the architecture of that room in any way (which is desirable since in general, visible changes should be avoided). The major difference however is that with the water level raised like that, you are able to get out of that room without cheating. I have no idea how people were able to beat that level before otherwise, but I wasn't able to find any complaints about it anywhere, either.

Curious. It's possible that players just used DNCLIP and then didn't mention anything. Another possibility is that at some point over the years, a small change was made to the physics (involving water, jumping, or slopes) which was just enough to prevent getting out of that pool but didn't affect a lot of maps.

• The Truth is in here

I dunno how this level behaves in DOSBox. I can guarantee this level cannot be beaten in EDuke32 without cheating. There's no jetpack in the whole episode and the puzzle wouldn't make any sense if you had one. You could just skip the whole flooding part. It's sure that you cannot jump high enough once the water level is raised. My minor level edit should take care of that.

The author was apparently aware of the issue and made the door entrance on the pool side sloped. Maybe that used to work once, but not any more. It was kinda important to get this playable especially since this level is one of the visual highlights of the whole addon.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 28 September 2016 - 11:32 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostNightFright, on 28 September 2016 - 11:25 AM, said:

The author was apparently aware of the issue and made the door entrance on the pool side sloped. Maybe that used to work once, but not any more.

That would be my guess. All it would take is an innocent change to the source code. Let's say that TX or someone is trying to prevent the player from being so easily squished by walking into sloped areas, and changes the clipping slightly. As a side-effect, this prevents the player from getting as close to the edge of the water when it is sloped, and can't get out.

• The Truth is in here

It's definitely an interesting case. But regardless whether or not EDuke32 is to "blame" for this, the map edit is so minor that it could stay in any case (even if the coding team went like "OMG what's happening, we gotta fix that right away"). Main thing is you get out of that pool area again without DNCLIP.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 28 September 2016 - 12:08 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Yeah, no one is criticizing you for fixing the map!

When I played Last Reaction & Water Bases last time few years ago on EDuke32, I don't remember getting stuck and having to use DNCLIP to get out. I remember the map being a bit difficult to navigate and having to use steroids to jump over some buildings but I take it that it was intended or was a secret I had to reach? Or I broke the progression? I can't remember much, I should play the addon again sometime soon.

But seriously now, which was the part that you could get stuck in and not be able to get out without DNCLIP? I only remember the part that you also "fixed" where I had to shoot a button in a flooded elevator and it was a bit difficult to surface in a crouched position that allowed you to easily hit the button.

If you want, I can try playing the original version of the addon both in DOSBox and EDuke32 and see if it works properly. I only want to know which room exactly you are talking about, can you please take a screenshot so I can know exactly which room?

EDIT: Oops. Apparently I confused LAST07 with WBASE07. LAST07 is the map that I was talking about earlier. But either way, I don't remember having to cheat at all to get out of one place.

Oh wait, I think I know what you mean. Are you talking about the red underwater area where you swim to collect key and activate some buttons, while your boots drain rapidly? If so, I remember getting out of that area somehow (maybe I had jetpack?). I must play the addon again to refresh my memory.

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 29 September 2016 - 04:30 AM

• The Truth is in here

No. There is a pool with a column in the middle. It has a box-shaped top with 4 buttons and the red keycard. To reach the card, you must trigger an explosion with the right button combination. The pool fills with water, you can grab the card and leave. The entrance to that section is labelled "Pool 1". You got to go through a hatch that opens and closes by itself.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 29 September 2016 - 09:03 AM

Oh, now I know which part you are talking about. I just downloaded the original version or LR&WB and played it in EDuke32 using God Mode, No Clip and No Monsters cheats to reach faster and reached the green room with the 4 buttons and the red card. I turned clipping off and you are right, I can't seem to get back up. However I managed to get back using a combination of steroids and strafe jumping from the column to the door. This seems to be the only way.

I will try in a few minutes in DOSBox and see if the same happens. It's weird because I don't remember this happening before, might be a water physics bug in latest builds of EDuke32.

• The Truth is in here

I think this part should be solvable without steroids. If there are none located in the pool, it can happen you use them before and you get stuck then, anyway.

Just tried the addon in DOSBox and looks like I'm able to jump out of that place. If you tap the jump button while surfacing, there is a chance Duke will jump high enough when surfaced, so you can make it out of the water without problems. It seems the water physics are changed in EDuke32 after all.

EDIT: Wait, I can still make it out of the water in EDuke32. Tapping the jump button on the surface of water will allow Duke to jump just enough to reach the door. Of course this is harder to execute in EDuke32 but it's still possible.

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 29 September 2016 - 12:00 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostFistMarine, on 29 September 2016 - 11:56 AM, said:

EDIT: Wait, I can still make it out of the water in EDuke32. Tapping the jump button on the surface of water will allow Duke to jump just enough to reach the door. Of course this is harder to execute in EDuke32 but it's still possible.

I think we can all agree that the change NightFright made is fine, though.

• The Truth is in here

I never managed. Or maybe just didn't have enough patience. ;) Anyway, it's not a bad thing to make it a bit easier and less frustrating. Because I think there are enough people who gave up trying and just cheated to get out of there.

Again, the map edit is non-evasive and invisible.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 29 September 2016 - 12:16 PM

I have never said that I don't like the change, I'm actually fine with the change. But I just said that I found a way to get outside of that pool without cheating. ;)

• The Truth is in here

Version 3.1 has just been unlocked on the HRP website. Enjoy!

This post has been edited by NightFright: 30 September 2016 - 02:00 PM

User is offline   supergoofy 

Thank you ;)

Share this topic:

• 68 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options