Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] EDuke32 Addon Compilation - Duke4.net Forums

• 68 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] EDuke32 Addon Compilation  "Version 3.13 released on December 6, 2016!"

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I am already using code to override bosses ending episodes. It's telling the game not to end the episode before a certain level is reached. Any boss fight before just ends the level and loads the next one.

One-level episodes are a deliberate decision of mine to keep levels separate if possible. I could do it differently, but I didn't.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 23 August 2016 - 01:39 PM

User is offline   FistMarine 

I didn't know that you already used that code. My bad and sorry for the pointless suggestion.

• The Truth is in here

It's actually used quite often, e.g. in the more massive map collections like Space/Urban since I wouldn't know before playing whether a map had a boss fight or not. Therefore, I just put the code anyway to be on the safe side. A good idea in general for anything that isn't a proper episode (where you know that you won't have a boss fight before the end - usually).

In other news, I managed to change "Platoon" so the Bonus Missions maps have a pistol start, but only in that episode and not in any other. Also, I didn't forget that the first level is supposed to start without any weapons (you are captured), so I took care that the reset code wouldn't add any weapons.

For those of you who are interested in the code I used to do this, here it is:
Spoiler
The tricky part was that I had to remove the Expander reset code to avoid errors since "Platoon" works with 1.3D code (Expander was added in 1.4). And before you ask: It's not required to upgrade this addon to 1.4/1.5 code since it doesn't cause compatibility issues if you load it with Atomic Edition.

Bodypart.map was added, however since it wasn't part of the TOD3 episode before, I didn't want to change it. Instead, I defined it as a standalone map with title and music and you can launch it via "User Map". I have also noted this in the readme.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 23 August 2016 - 10:50 PM

I was actually thinking you used this code in Space/Urban map packs because I remember playing the map AMC Pleaser long time ago (which is included in Urban pack) and I remembered at the end of level you have to choose between fighting the boss or pressing the nuke button.

I read yesterday the changelog on first page and saw mentioned that you added reset code for Bonus Missions and Body Parts map. And speaking of Platoon, wasn't there officially released Atomic version of Platoon as well? I know that there are two versions of Platoon: one for 1.3D and one for 1.4/1.5. Which version you integrated into Addon Compilation?

• The Truth is in here

It's code with a part on top that adds 1.5 compatibility, so no worries. It wouldn't work with Atomic if it didn't have the proper cons included. :P It's just that there is no Expander replacement in this addon and they also don't use any other 1.4/1.5 assets, so it doesn't really matter.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 23 August 2016 - 11:23 PM

That's good to know. For a second I thought you integrated the 1.3D version of Platoon and then fixed it to work for Atomic. :P

• The Truth is in here

The only mistake I made was that I included the Platoon readme for 1.3D (addon version 1.1 instead of 1.1B). I will fix that.

Speaking of readme files, I noticed that some of the readme files (mostly in space and various folders) don't have their original timestamp. I have download each addon/map separately and gathered their text files. I have uploaded them for you to check.

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 31 December 2016 - 07:01 AM

• The Truth is in here

Some don't have because I had to pull the texts from websites and copy-paste them into documents. In many cases, the maps didn't come with textfiles by default.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 26 August 2016 - 01:27 AM

Thanks for all the work put into this mighty collection by the way, great stuff.

I know that and that's why I didn't include those. I only included those that could be found normally but for some reason they had modified date. I didn't include Platoon text file because you already took care of it earlier and there are others I didn't bother looking.

Also I have a weird suggestion: In AvP TC, can you remove the Facehugger sprite when that thing gets you? Last night (before bed) I decided to test the addon, started a map for testing purposes and spawned few monsters. When I typed spawn octabrain, I saw that scary facehugger sprite on screen and quit the game. Can you please delete that sprite or at least make it optional? B)

I've tested the addon few minutes earlier again to see if I can confront my fear (it didn't work) and it seems that this creepy sprite even shows up on console for some reason, although much smaller and persists after a facehugger has gotten you before. I didn't expect to be that much scared of that thing. It gives me nightmares! :P

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 26 August 2016 - 01:49 AM

User is offline   Polunka 

Well, it looks like the music change glitch in e3l3 keeps haunting you, NF B) Once again. while playing through episode 3, I faced the underwater boss with the same error:

Line 14784, starttrack: invalid level 33 or null music for volume 2 level 33
The problem is present with inclusion of your OBLIVION.CON and OBLVUSER.CON, I guess one of them must be the culprit.

EDIT: NEVERMIND IT, MY BAD! :P

This post has been edited by Polunka: 26 August 2016 - 02:39 AM

Well, I guess for some reason the fixed OBLVUSER.CON and OBLIVION.CON you gave me afterwards have stopped overwriting their equivalents inside oblivion.grp. NightFright, could you probably provide me with fully functional obliviion.grp (with all fixed cons inside)?

EDIT: NEVERMIND ONCE AGAIN! FUCK, IM DUMB! I guess I've messed things up and now I have no idea what's going on with my Oblivion cons and grp. Well, anyway, if you could give me the fixed oblivion grp so I don't have to bother about the additional cons? (if you even have it; guess you should; and sorry for loads of shitposting)

TRIPLE EDIT: on a second thought, I may wait till the bugfix's release.

This post has been edited by Polunka: 26 August 2016 - 08:54 PM

NF, just a heads up: FM3X was updated last time on 25th May. For some stupid reason I couldn't attach the zip file (Error No file was selected for upload), so I will just put the link to download:

http://1drv.ms/1Lej2Zm

FM3X-GRP.ZIP is the one you have to download.

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 26 August 2016 - 09:43 PM

Just curious, I notice you fixed a nuke button bug on a lot of maps listed. Does that mean the nuke button doesn't work if you played those maps as is? I played Warz for example sometime in the past six months or so I think, and the nuke button worked, so if so was that broken for all these maps in a more recent build of eduke32?

And thanks again for all the fixes, it's really incredible how you're keeping all these great maps in working order.

• The Truth is in here

I wouldn't call all nuke buttons that I edited "broken"... it's only really broken if you can't use it at all. This only applied to the last map of "Chimera" IIRC. The other edits I did was to change palette of the buttons to 0 since otherwise, maps would loop (i.e. start from the beginning of the same map) and not continue to the next one. I don't know if this is standard behavior or something introduced by EDuke32. Anyway, this was only necessary in the map collections (e.g. Space/Urban) where authors would sometimes just give a different palette to nuke buttons for whatever reason.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 28 August 2016 - 10:31 PM

Yeah I wanted to say that the only reason why the nuke buttons pal were changed is because if it was a different color than the standard one, the map would loop. I also hated that when playing user maps in EDuke32, finishing a map with a differently colored nuke button results in map starting from beginning.

I'm glad they at least fixed ending sector to end the map as intended in EDuke32. I read somewhere that in vanilla Duke3D, ending an user map in ending sector type, results in whole episode starting over, so after the user map you would advance to Hollywood Holocaust.

EDIT: BTW NF, have you looked at my AvP suggestion?

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 28 August 2016 - 11:06 PM

• The Truth is in here

View PostPolunka, on 26 August 2016 - 02:50 AM, said:

[...] Well, anyway, if you could give me the fixed oblivion grp so I don't have to bother about the additional cons? [...]

I have already merged the latest con code into the groupfile. Just download the updated Oblivion test version (76 MB) to get the latest version.

View PostFistMarine, on 28 August 2016 - 10:49 PM, said:

[...]
EDIT: BTW NF, have you looked at my AvP suggestion?

If you refer to the idea to remove content from a mod, I'll give a definite rain check on that. I am not modifying addons because of someone's personal preferences. Some mods in this compilation are supposed to be kinda scary, and if you don't like that, skip those and play others.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 28 August 2016 - 11:25 PM

View PostNightFright, on 28 August 2016 - 11:24 PM, said:

If you refer to the idea to remove content from a mod, I'll give a definite rain check on that. I am not modifying addons because of someone's personal preferences. Some mods in this compilation are supposed to be kinda scary, and if you don't like that, skip those and play others.

You are right, there are some mods that are supposed to be scary. I had no problem playing A Dream Trilogy several times in the past, last time I played it was a year ago, which to be honest it was a bit creepy but I didn't found it to be that scary and found the mod quite enjoyable and interesting (always liked Eddy's Dream-like maps). And while AvP isn't a very scary mod, it's ONLY the Facehugger that I consider scary. Because when you get killed by it, it shows a creepy sprite immediately that takes up the whole screen and stays for like 5-10 seconds. If that's not scary, then I don't know what scary is. :P

It's OK if you aren't removing the sprite, I can live without playing one addon. Or I might still play it...someday.

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 29 August 2016 - 12:18 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Why not make the modification yourself for your own use?

• The Truth is in here

I'll even help a bit. The facehugger sprite stuck in player face is in tiles 2825, 2848 and 2883 (tiles011.art). If you replace those with a transparent sprite or image, you get rid of it. If there are sounds played at the same time (don't remember right now), you will have to do more, and ofc you will still be killed. But other than that, you can get rid of it. :P

This post has been edited by NightFright: 29 August 2016 - 01:15 AM

View PostHendricks266, on 29 August 2016 - 12:42 AM, said:

Why not make the modification yourself for your own use?

I will do that, don't worry. B)

View PostNightFright, on 29 August 2016 - 01:12 AM, said:

I'll even help a bit. The facehugger sprite stuck in player face is in tiles 2825, 2848 and 2883 (tiles011.art). If you replace those with a transparent sprite or image, you get rid of it. If there are sounds played at the same time (don't remember right now), you will have to do more, and ofc you will still be killed. But other than that, you can get rid of it. :D

Thanks! I will get rid of those tiles. After that, I will upload the edited ART file in case others need it, if you are OK with that. :P

EDIT: Yeah there are some sounds that play when you get killed but I can live with that. The sounds are enough to scare the player anyway. :P

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 29 August 2016 - 01:29 AM

View PostNightFright, on 28 August 2016 - 11:24 PM, said:

I have already merged the latest con code into the groupfile. Just download the updated Oblivion test version (76 MB) to get the latest version.

Thanks very much!

Does anyone know if savegames are supposed to be bound to the current con-code applied to them? I just happened to face the starttrack 33 problem once again, but this time with the latest fixed GRP. At the same time, both playing the level (OBLVN303) from a pistol start and playing it as part of the episode don't result in the error occuring anymore, while till the implementation of the fixed GRP the error used to happen very randomly in the aforementioned cases (that was my fault since I'd messed with the additional CONs a bit); this means the fix is alright and does the thing it has to. But, as the savegame I mentioned earlier:

I just happened to face the starttrack 33 problem once again

was written before I implemented the fix, that must mean savegames actually remember the con-code applied to the level (probably even to the episode/whatever else).

Just that I used to believe that savegames don't have to do anything with CONs and the game corresponds with any CON edits in real time. :P

So, could anyone clarify this subject for me?

P.S.: Hopefully you'll comprehend.

This post has been edited by Polunka: 29 August 2016 - 05:09 AM

• The Truth is in here

I am pretty sure that savegames inherit the con code of the groupfile you were using at the time you saved your game. If you exchange your groupfile in the meantime, any change applied code-wise would not take effect. Not sure about art files, but I guess in general it's pretty much the same thing. You would need to start a new game after the groupfile replacement and reach the same spot again to test properly.

View PostNightFright, on 29 August 2016 - 06:25 AM, said:

I am pretty sure that savegames inherit the con code of the groupfile you were using at the time you saved your game. If you exchange your groupfile in the meantime, any change applied code-wise would not take effect. Not sure about art files, but I guess in general it's pretty much the same thing. You would need to start a new game after the groupfile replacement and reach the same spot again to test properly.

Well, I've actually no-clipped through the episode till the test point, and the glitch was absent. I'd even triggered every music change sequence in the previous levels (in fact, there is just one - the fight with 2 electrospheres in a pillar hall in Portal Base/The Lost World) just to make sure nothing would be broken ('cause who knows...). But I might play through the episode again as intended (w/o using any cheat codes), but not now.

This post has been edited by Polunka: 29 August 2016 - 07:25 AM

• The Truth is in here

Clipping cheats should be ok to get back to the point where you trigger the boss fight/escape sequence. I really hope we were able to find all major issues that were still left in Oblivion. It's the biggest addon in the compilation with the highest amount of glitches...

BTW in case you guys didn't notice: I decided to push the release date of 3.1 to the end of September. Maybe a few more issues are found until then. Even though I can't imagine that anything really major is left by now.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 29 August 2016 - 07:31 AM

View PostNightFright, on 29 August 2016 - 07:30 AM, said:

Clipping cheats should be ok to get back to the point where you trigger the boss fight/escape sequence. I really hope we were able to find all major issues that were still left in Oblivion. It's the biggest addon in the compilation with the highest amount of glitches...

BTW in case you guys didn't notice: I decided to push the release date of 3.1 to the end of September. Maybe a few more issues are found until then. Even though I can't imagine that anything really major is left by now.

That's actually really nice, I will be able to test Oblivion further, tho I won't have that much time within the next month.

Btw, there's been a glitch in Oblivion ever since the first episode's release (I think) which I'm pretty sure very few people have encountered. The thing is, there's an invisible wall in OBLVN102 (Stone Valley) that is penetrable from the outside but blocks the player from the inside (like the glitch from one of Duke 007's maps I've reported) and otherwise has absolutely no purposes. I've known about this shit for a really long time now but somehow hasn't reported about it to you yet. See the attachments to comprehend (in the first shot I'm facing the wall; the automap shot will guide you on its relative placement on the level).

Also, there's another issue which appears only in the compilation version of the TC (I've tested it on the oblivionfinal.zip version and didn't find the glitch; guess you've messed it up somehow): upon crash landing at the beginning of Stone Valley Zaxtor instantly dies (either from an explosion or simply by getting stuck in geometry). The solution, fortunately, exists: you just need to be crouching upon "emerging" from your escape pod. I'm determined that Zaxtor also faced this problem while making this map, but what he did was make the player be crouching automatically till the "aaaaahhhhh shhhhiiiiiittttt!" sequence was finished; it can be easily defined by the fact Zaxtor stands up upon "emerging" (you can play the aforementioned version to see it yourself).

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0006.png
  • Attached Image: duke0007.png

This post has been edited by Polunka: 29 August 2016 - 08:13 AM

View PostPolunka, on 29 August 2016 - 08:03 AM, said:

Also, there's another issue which appears only in the compilation version of the TC (I've tested it on the oblivionfinal.zip version and didn't find the glitch; guess you've messed it up somehow): upon crash landing at the beginning of Stone Valley Zaxtor instantly dies (either from an explosion or simply by getting stuck in geometry). The solution, fortunately, exists: you just need to be crouching upon "emerging" from your escape pod. I'm determined that Zaxtor also faced this problem while making this map, but what he did was make the player be crouching automatically till the "aaaaahhhhh shhhhiiiiiittttt!" sequence was finished; it can be easily defined by the fact Zaxtor stands up upon "emerging" (you can play the aforementioned version to see it yourself).

I remember encountering that bug as well !

BTW your screenshots don't match what you describe but I can guess what you wanted to say, I got that bug too where as the place of the screen shot if you go too close to the wall behind the shotgun you will have an invisible wall on your way back, I didn't get it on the compilation because I didn't take the risk but if you took those screens I suspect they're still here ^^

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Unfortunately, I expect that the compilation version of Oblivion has more errors than what we've noticed because of how the game's behavior depends on CON code that is "wrong" at first glance but when "fixed" stops working like Zaxtor intended. The safest way would be to start the CON edits over from the beginning and comment out the right parts (like I did for the shrinker fix) so that the warnings are no longer printed to the log, but the functionality does not actually change. Only when a bug provably exists in the original version should any functional changes be made.

Share this topic:

• 68 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options