Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] EDuke32 Addon Compilation - Duke4.net Forums

• 68 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] EDuke32 Addon Compilation  "Version 3.13 released on December 6, 2016!"

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

The issue with the one-way wall is fixed by now. Just had to make one wall non-blockable, quite easy.

The other problem is hard. Zax used an invisible sprite to make the player arrive at the crashed spaceship in a crouched position. If you load the map from within Mapster32, it works fine. Embedded into the actual addon, you die after teleporting. I don't see how con code could affect this. No map edits were made in general.

Someone with code knowledge should check my edits and try to nail down which changes may be critical. See my post from August 10 for details.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 29 August 2016 - 11:09 PM

View PostNightFright, on 29 August 2016 - 11:56 AM, said:

The issue with the one-way wall is fixed by now. Just had to make one wall non-blockable, quite easy.

The other problem is hard. Zax used an invisible sprite to make the player arrive at the crashed spaceship in a crouched position. If you load the map from within Mapster32, it works fine. Embedded into the actual addon, you die after teleporting. I don't see how con code could affect this. No map edits were made in general.

Someone with code knowledge should check my edits and try to nail down which changes may be critical. See my post from August 10 for details.

Wouldn't it be easier to juste add an invisible false ceiling on top to force the player into crouch position both when in the dark and when crash landing ? Surely it's a map edit that doesn't match the original but it'd be easier and a good placeholder in the mean time :/

• The Truth is in here

I was able to get three possible results for the beginning of OBLVN102:

1) You get crushed when emerging from the escape pod while light flashes (compilation version)
2) You emerge alive, but with massive HP loss while light flashes (load map with Mapster32, no Oblivion code loaded)
3) You emerge unharmed, bright explosion occurs with a slight delay (gameplay footage, see below)

According to this gameplay video, the third scenario is the intended one. Apparently you are supposed to escape unharmed while the bright flash indicates the explosion of the mothership above you in space.

By lowering the ceiling of the starting sectors, I believe I have fixed the issue and properly reproduced/restored the intended behavior.

Please test OBLVN102 "Stone Valley" in this updated Oblivion build (76 MB) for the following fixes:
- Player does not die on level start any more, escapes unharmed, explosion flash occurs after emerging
- Invisible wall near shotgun pickup does not exist any more

I have accomplished all of this with map edits only, without any code changes!

This post has been edited by NightFright: 30 August 2016 - 02:48 AM

User is offline   Polunka 

View PostNightFright, on 30 August 2016 - 12:44 AM, said:

Please test OBLVN102 "Stone Valley" in this updated Oblivion build (76 MB) for the following fixes:
- Player does not die on level start any more, escapes unharmed, explosion flash occurs after emerging
- Invisible wall near shotgun pick does not exist any more

Everything works just fine (regarding both issues)!

• The Truth is in here

Great then! Again, no idea how it could have ever worked in the original version without the changes I have applied. Zax was apparently very lucky when he released this! xD

This post has been edited by NightFright: 30 August 2016 - 01:02 AM

View PostNightFright, on 30 August 2016 - 01:01 AM, said:

Great then! Again, no idea how it could have ever worked in the original version without the changes I have applied. Zax was apparently very lucky when he released this! xD

Hmm, I guess you've asked Zaxtor for a permission or sth to edit everything? Just sayin :D

This post has been edited by Polunka: 30 August 2016 - 01:31 AM

• The Truth is in here

I have been in contact with him in June regarding the crash in OBLVN210 with newer EDuke32 builds before r5775 (when the issue was fixed). He didn't have any issues with me working on a version that works with recent snapshots again. As long as you don't apply really visible changes which only guarantee intended functionality, you should be on the safe side in general.

User is offline   FistMarine 

View PostNightFright, on 29 August 2016 - 07:30 AM, said:

BTW in case you guys didn't notice: I decided to push the release date of 3.1 to the end of September. Maybe a few more issues are found until then. Even though I can't imagine that anything really major is left by now.

I noticed that yesterday. Was a bit disappointed because you could release 3.1 today and if more bugs are found, next month you can release 3.2 and so on. Having updates released monthly would be a better thing to do in my opinion. Plus the fact that I've still got a month left of my summer holiday, so it's perfect time for me to test the latest version where some nasty bugs have been fixed since 3.0. But I respect your choice, nonetheless.

And once again excellent job Polunka on reporting the remaining Oblivion bugs! Hopefully all the Oblivion bugs have been squashed. :D

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostFistMarine, on 26 August 2016 - 09:42 PM, said:

NF, just a heads up: FM3X was updated last time on 25th May. For some stupid reason I couldn't attach the zip file (Error No file was selected for upload), so I will just put the link to download:.
As long as it exists, referring to the original download location should always be the way to go.

True but I wanted to upload the file directly here, to save a little bit of time.

• The Truth is in here

Before anybody starts asking for it:

No, this compilation will NOT support Duke World Tour. The addons wouldn't profit from it in any way and we can safely assume those who want to play the compilation own Duke Atomic by now.

So I have a minor suggestion for Zombie Crisis regarding the "bonus missions" episode. Could you split it into 2 separate episodes that contains each map? I feel it makes a bit more sense that way. And regarding The Railyard looping issue, does the map feature an ending sector? Because I read somewhere that the ending sector in original Duke3D has a bug where if you end the level by crossing an ending sector, the whole level or episode starts from beginning. It may not be relevant here but it is worth looking into the issue.

Quick question about the Undertaker maps. Is it okay to play those in Polymost? I saw you mentioned room over room in the readme, and I know for TROR maps you're supposed to use classic or Polymer? But since these were released on Megaton I thought they were Polymost friendly. Thanks.

• The Truth is in here

Seriously, no idea. Try your luck and see if it works. But if it's OK in Classic and Polymer, I don't see why Polymost would fail.

Regarding Zombie Crisis:
- I don't see the point of splitting an episode into several maps.
- I didn't manage to fix the ending sector of that map. There are things which are beyond my limited capabilites.

Btw regarding Oblivion:
Zaxtor wrote that you are supposed to be able to play ep.5 separately if you want. That means simply hiding the episode is no longer an option. Gotta find a way to make it work before any official release...

This post has been edited by NightFright: 09 September 2016 - 02:17 PM

View PostNightFright, on 09 September 2016 - 02:11 PM, said:

Btw regarding Oblivion:
Zaxtor wrote that you are supposed to be able to play ep.5 separately if you want. That means simply hiding the episode is no longer an option. Gotta find a way to make it work before any official release...

That's actually a surprise to me since I'm pretty sure in the original final Oblivion in both ways (either starting ep5 from e4l4 or from the episode menu) you ended up getting to e4l4 after finishing it which seemed to mean the episode was supposed to be hidden. Well, whatever, I guess since Zaxtor is the creator he has a full right to decide.

• The Truth is in here

Yeah, but first he needs to explain how you are supposed to pull it off. Especially since it also didn't work like that in the original release if I understood you guys correctly...

I also don't know if playing ep.5 from the menu is actually a coherent experience since it's rather a pool of levels to which you travel from the other episodes. Correct me if I am wrong here.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 10 September 2016 - 04:07 AM

View PostNightFright, on 10 September 2016 - 04:05 AM, said:

Yeah, but first he needs to explain how you are supposed to pull it off. Especially since it also didn't work like that in the original release if I understood you guys correctly...

I also don't know if playing ep.5 from the menu is actually a coherent experience since it's rather a pool of levels to which you travel from the other episodes. Correct me if I am wrong here.

No I'm categorical and 100% sure that playing Episode 5 from E4L4 takes from E5L1 to the very end (that is if you succeed in E5L3) BUT playing Episode 5 from the menu takes you to the version of E5L2 that you'd normally access in E1 which is why I said it's problematic. I can describe the easiest difference but only if asked to.

And NF I'm not really sure because as you say normally you Access E5 from E1 and E4 and IMO it's intended as a secret super challenge the completion of which awards you with chips making RPG, Devistator and Petrify guns devastating though more dangerous to use. SO accessing it from the Menu is probably not relevant to its first intended intention unless you want to use it as a "bonus" challenge but since it sends you back to E1 it's not any valuable >_>
Actually I think E5 is accessible from the menu because you can't have E5 levels without having an Episode in the menu's list unless you'd hard-code it out which could be a pain in the fuselage ...

View PostNightFright, on 09 September 2016 - 02:11 PM, said:

Regarding Zombie Crisis:
- I don't see the point of splitting an episode into several maps.
- I didn't manage to fix the ending sector of that map. There are things which are beyond my limited capabilites.

I meant splitting the Bonus Missions episode into two different episodes, 1 map each: "Basement" and "The Railyard".

View PostTheDragonLiner, on 10 September 2016 - 06:01 AM, said:

Actually I think E5 is accessible from the menu because you can't have E5 levels without having an Episode in the menu's list unless you'd hard-code it out which could be a pain in the fuselage ...

I'm pretty sure you can still have maps defined into an episode but the episode itself is hidden in the menu. There are some addons in the compilation that have some maps "hidden" that way and can only be chosen from User Map menu but with name defined as well. Of course it's also possible to access maps from User Map that are not defined at all but if E5 were to be removed entirely from menu and levels undefined, then the levels won't work properly anymore.

• The Truth is in here

Zaxtor now answered this:

"So to go beyond E5L2 without returning to E1, you must go by E4."

Maybe I am not reading this properly, but I see it like ep.5 via menu isn't really a thing.

And you are right - you CAN have levels defined for an episode which is not defined to be shown via menu. It's what I did in the latest testing version of Oblivion. It also makes sure maps are loaded with a proper title/name.

Zaxtor did it already by defining two levels for a sixth episode. Don't ask me why, I left it unchanged.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 10 September 2016 - 04:33 PM

View PostNightFright, on 10 September 2016 - 04:25 PM, said:

Maybe I am not reading this properly, but I see it like ep.5 via menu isn't really a thing.

And you are right - you CAN have levels defined for an episode which is not defined to be shown via menu. It's what I did in the latest testing version of Oblivion. It also makes sure maps are loaded with a proper title/name.

Zaxtor did it already by defining two levels for a sixth episode. Don't ask me why, I left it unchanged.

2 levels for a sixth episode ? I never noticed that, what are they ?

• The Truth is in here

Actually, it's just music definitions, no levels. Sorry for the confusion.

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostNightFright, on 10 September 2016 - 04:25 PM, said:

I'm very, very sure Zaxtor was not want players just play E5 levels from menu/level skip cheat, I did asked him in his Oblivion mod thread on this forum(*), but that thread is large and deep from somewhere in this forum so I just lazy to find it :D), he did say the only way to play the whole E5 levels is go from E4L4(but I'm not sure what he actually said)...or else the E5L2 will be the show breaker and you have to go back to E1L2(just like you came E5L2 from E1L2's secret exit)...

So I guess just don't bother with E5 on menu, just leave it as original mod -- only E1~E4 can be selected from episode selection menu.

(*): Because I were very confusing about the TC's "in-arriveible" areas in E1 levels after using the full automap cheat for finding secret areas I didn't found, and E5L2 is unbeatable when I go there from E1L2's secret exit...but I still very confusing after Zaxtor answered the latter question...and it did caused I finally just give up on play Oblivion mod anymore since I can't even found all secret/in-arrivible areas on E1, not to say other episodes later... my frustration just wins. :D

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 11 September 2016 - 01:50 AM

• The Truth is in here

I guess I will keep ep.5 hidden from the menu then, with levels defined (like in the last test candidate which is probably the final version). Thanks to everybody for the helpful input!

In other news, I have separated the two bonus levels from each other in "Zombie Crisis", and surprisingly, this also fixed the issue with the level looping when finishing "The Railyard". Weird, but not inconvenient! :D

This post has been edited by NightFright: 12 September 2016 - 01:16 AM

Good to know that separating the levels also fixed the looping issue.

I have a suggestion you may not like to hear but can you release the 3.1 update tomorrow? There weren't any serious reports since previous month and next month I will be busy, so I think releasing the update 2 weeks earlier isn't going to hurt anybody, I guess. :D

EDIT: I don't think there will be any reports in these remaining 2 weeks and the update was supposed to be released previous month anyway but was delayed for a month. That's why I suggest the update to be released tomorrow.

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 15 September 2016 - 07:53 AM

• The Truth is in here

Nope, won't happen. I am working on the Space Map Pack (one last time) and a content update for Starship Troopers. These will take a while and may just make it in time for the deadline.

Sorry, I didn't know you were still working on the pack. In this case I will wait, it's not a problem to wait 2 more weeks. I only thought that you were waiting for new reports to arrive. :D

Looking through the whole thread, I found out an old post of LeoD saying that there are some older versions of some maps included in the addon compilation instead of latest version. You might want to check right here the post: https://forums.duke4...post__p__214714

• The Truth is in here

Keep calm. Those are in the compilation since ages, man. Ages. Also compare with LeoD's reminder post.

Stop looking into the past, embrace the future!

This post has been edited by NightFright: 19 September 2016 - 12:42 PM

Lol OK...I thought those 4 maps (Beerzity, E-Witness, Roch 3, SecreQ) weren't updated to the latest version, based on the reply you made afterwards. And now I see why you showed me the other post by LeoD, if you didn't update them, then he would have mentioned them again. My bad!

And I will stop looking at the past, don't worry. Sorry for making yet another pointless suggestion. ;)

• The Truth is in here

I will replace the maps anyway, even though I am quite sure they had been replaced before. Since I didn't log it anywhere, it's better to make it official now at least. ;)

Share this topic:

• 68 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options