Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] EDuke32 Addon Compilation - Duke4.net Forums

• 68 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] EDuke32 Addon Compilation  "Version 3.13 released on December 6, 2016!"

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I am only fixing typos, but I won't translate any texts. That deviates too much from the original. Changing level names is also no option.

User is online   Polunka 

Just played DukeVR. I gotta say, a very interesting and unusual concept for Duke3D which involves your thinking abilities to a far greater degree than figting skills. I got enticed very quickly! :P

Well, my core point is not actually to praise the mod for its creativity but to understand one thing: why's there that "User Missions" episode if it doesn't have any maps bound to it? Well, my first thought was that the author (Geoffrey) was aiming at the mod to earn a great deal of popularity with Duke3D community. That means a lot of people would wish to make their own levels within the borders of the concept and, I think, the mod would even get some updates later on. So, do you know why the episode exists?

• The Truth is in here

Because the author wanted it to be there.

User is online   Polunka 

View PostNightFright, on 27 July 2016 - 01:05 AM, said:

Because the author wanted it to be there.

Well, okay :P

User is offline   FistMarine 

edit

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 11 December 2016 - 07:09 AM

User is online   Polunka 

Just finished Spiegul Contest. Gotta say, I'm sincerely thankful that you've added it to the compilation :P , since I pretty much wouldn't be able to run it on eduke32 myself (have tried, no result)!

Well, actually, I'm here to report a minor glitch related to mapping (not even sure whether it's a glitch tbh). Devastator's map (3rd) has a pigcop in a vertical vent shaft that, as I conceive it, is supposed to drop down upon you as soon as he notices you (ya know, it's kinda like a traditional feature of many maps, including the original ones (iirc), to make some enemies drop down on your head from vent shafts and so on, typically those enemies are enforcers). The thing is, there seems to be like an invisible layer between the shaft and the room sector (which he's supposed to drop into), I think the layer is exactly at the same z position as the vent grill is (note that the grill itself is already broken, which only reinforces my opinion about the mapper's intention to drop the pig down). As a result, the layer prevents the pig from dropping into the room. This layer can't be shot through, but the pig can be killed with an RPG shot or whichever other explosives might work. I'm attaching the screenies so that you could comprehend where the pig is. And yea, I repeat I'm not sure if it's a bug.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0015.png
  • Attached Image: duke0016.png

This post has been edited by Polunka: 27 July 2016 - 09:46 PM

edit

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 11 December 2016 - 07:10 AM

• The Truth is in here

I have located and fixed the issue. Basically, the grate through which the Pigcop was supposed to drop had the blocking flag for some reason. Removing it made it work as intended. Will be included with upcoming update. Thanks for pointing me at it!

User is online   Polunka 

View PostNightFright, on 28 July 2016 - 04:00 AM, said:

I have located and fixed the issue. Basically, the grate through which the Pigcop was supposed to drop had the blocking flag for some reason. Removing it made it work as intended. Will be included with upcoming update. Thanks for pointing me at it!

Always glad to be of any help :P

This post has been edited by Polunka: 28 July 2016 - 09:34 AM

User is online   Polunka 

View PostFistMarine, on 28 July 2016 - 12:29 AM, said:

I remember playing The Spiegul Contest before and I had no trouble whatsoever loading the maps. I don't remember well but I think the maps came with optional art for sky, right? If so, then you could have just played the maps without the art.

Yeah, man, I think this was the exact reason of my inability to play it. It's like a big wave of despair (trying to sound dramatic :P ) covered me when I didn't manage to run it with the skybox and I abandoned it.

View PostPolunka, on 28 July 2016 - 09:36 AM, said:

Yeah, man, I think this was the exact reason of my inability to play it. It's like a big wave of despair (trying to sound dramatic :P ) covered me when I didn't manage to run it with the skybox and I abandoned it.

You could have just ran the maps without the custom sky art. When I played the maps, I didn't use the new sky art. I don't know if the version included in addon compilation has the custom sky or not.

Also a few weeks ago I just noticed something unusual at Bad Weekend in the readme file, stating that max health was reset from 90 to 100. However I don't remember max health being changed when I played the BW addon few years ago, so I went to download BW from few Duke review sites and I realized that the included Bad Weekend addon in the compilation is the older version. For instance, in the older version, player's max health was 90 but in newer version the max health is 100. NF included the older version but still changed the max health from 90 to 100 as of author's recommendation, looking at the readme file. I don't understand why was the older version included in the first place when the newer version has not only the max health changed back to 100 but also various other map fixes. I compared the 2 versions and they are a bit different: the GRP files are identical but the readme and zip files are different. Strangely, the outdated version of BW comes with the updated readme file.

Anyway I will attach the screenshots of both zip files contents, so you can see the differences:

Here you can download both versions of BW addon:

http://dukeworld.duk.../Bad%20Weekend/

bad_w.zip is the outdated version, BW_.zip is the updated version. The version hosted at Scent 88 is also the same updated version, which is the version I played years ago.

• The Truth is in here

There is virtually no difference. I applied the fix manually, that's it. Used the new readme to reflect the change. Regarding map changes, I need to verify.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 29 July 2016 - 09:40 AM

I see now. The differences between the 2 zip files are only the added files: 1B_ROOF.MAP, 1B_ROOFH.MAP, BADUSER.CON and PRT.MAP. Everything else seems to be same, nothing changed. So only these 4 files you need to check. BADUSER.CON is the updated CON file with 100 health instead of 90 health, I don't know if there is anything else changed. Maybe Mister Sinister could help us a bit here?

That's confusing even to me since I really don't remember much about Bad Weekend updates.
Here's the only update I've found in the original release thread:

View PostMister Sinister, on 13 June 2010 - 02:28 AM, said:

Health is returned back to 100,some bugs at level "Through the roofs" are fixed and some names are returned back
Download

I haven't played the version included in this compilation, but I think there's little difference between these two versions of BW.

Btw, I completely forgot I was supposed to fix the teleportation issue in Death Drive final map. NightFright, I will send you the fixed version in the following days if that's okay with you.

This post has been edited by Mister Sinister: 31 July 2016 - 04:16 AM

Well, I still think that those 4 files from the updated version should be included in the addon compilation version of BW, just so everything can be fully updated. And the download link you posted for the updated version is dead but thankfully it's already included in the Dukeworld link I posted above and at Scent 88, so it's not like the updated version was lost forever. :P

• The Truth is in here

@ Mister Sinister:
Sure, send me whenever you have it ready. The more, the better.

*EDIT Aug 1, 2016*
I have analyzed BW_zip and found that the map files in the supplied badweed.grp seem to be different than those in the groupfile according to MD5 checksums. Since the groupfile date is from June 8, 2010 and 7 map files are slightly newer (e.g. June 13), I assume those maps are a bit newer in general. Therefore, I will replace all affected map files in the addon pack version with those from badweek.zip to be sure.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 01 August 2016 - 12:14 AM

Nice catch! I didn't know the files inside the grp file were changed as well. Maybe it would be easier if you include the whole updated version of BW instead of checking every file to see what's changed? The only problem is that you'd need to redo the fixes you already applied to the addon compilation version of BW.

• The Truth is in here

Already did. And really nothing changed besides the maps. If the changes are even visible.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 02 August 2016 - 05:01 AM

User is online   Polunka 

Just finished Duke Is 007. A really tasty old-school piece of Duke3D mapping cake :P Sometimes the design was kinda meh, but the majority was brilliant, IMO.

Anyway, on to my bug report (attaching the screens as usual; the numbers are to read left to right - I know it's obvious, but I still see some necessity to point that out):

Firstly, waterbas.map: there's a split-sliding door (attachments #1 and 2) that doesn't work quite properly. The door is bound to 2 switches used to open/close it permanently. It seems that the right piece of the door is not affected by the switches whatsoever - you press "use" on it and the whole door opens/closes even when the switches lock the door. This is in contrast to the left piece which works normally, as you can use it in order to open/close the door only when the switches are in the "open" position. I can't really show this via screens, you can see it yourself if you check it out. Btw, just in case you can't close the door using the right glitched piece (very awkward), see attachment #3 - this is which direction you gotta face in order to use it when the door is open. Well, I'm sure you're able to work it out with your own wit, but anyway, this is "just in case" B)

The second glitch is a breach in the invisible border of snowbase.map (attachments #4 and 5): seems that if you walk in the direction I'm facing in the shot (or about that), you get squeezed beyond the border without a possibility of getting back. You can walk around there afterwards, but this is pointless, since you can't proceed. I think the breach should be on the edge of where the trench (if you can call it so) at the foot of the slope turns in another direction.

OK, this is all I've managed to find. I also encountered a really strange phenomenon in ballroom.map when a pigcop somehow got squeezed into the void (space outside the map where normally everyone dies, including Duke) without dying and began walking around behind a mirror in a restroom. I also originally intended to report this, but then I executed a double-take and it turned out not to be a bug of the map but just a one-time glitch (I think it was caused by the game itself upon loading the map); at least I wasn't able to reproduce it afterwards.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0017.png
  • Attached Image: duke0019.png
  • Attached Image: duke0018.png
  • Attached Image: duke0020.png
  • Attached Image: duke0021.png

This post has been edited by Polunka: 02 August 2016 - 02:44 AM

• The Truth is in here

Excellent finds! I was able to locate and fix both issues.

> WATERBAS: Instead of a locator sprite, author had placed a sector effector (sprite #512) on one side. This way, the switch ofc couldn't work.
> SNOWBASE: Changed wall #1727 to blockable. Now you cannot pass through it any longer.

These are hard to find during a normal playthrough, so it's not a surprise to me I didn't find these when I was checking this out. Great job!

This post has been edited by NightFright: 02 August 2016 - 03:09 AM

User is online   Polunka 

View PostNightFright, on 02 August 2016 - 03:00 AM, said:

Excellent finds! I was able to locate and fix both issues.

> WATERBAS: Instead of a locator sprite, author had placed a sector effector (sprite #512) on one side. This way, the switch ofc couldn't work.
> SNOWBASE: Changed wall #1727 to blockable. Now you cannot pass through it any longer.

These are hard to find during a normal playthrough, so it's not a surprise to me I didn't find these when I was checking this out. Great job!

Was glad to help. I've started playing the pack of Petr Kucera's maps, maybe I'll be able to pull some bugs outta those as well B)

P.S.: Finally have reached enough of whatever it needs to allow me to up-/downvote people's posts :P

This post has been edited by Polunka: 02 August 2016 - 06:10 AM

Nice finds Polunka! You found a lot of bugs so far and you did a very good job, even better than me when I reported stuff. :D However thing is that I haven't played this stuff since a long time (007 maps, Spiegul Contest, etc), so obviously couldn't remember if I found an issue with them or anything like that. I really have to get back to playing Duke3D someday but these months for some reason I didn't have much interest in playing and I'd rather relax. B)

If I play something, I just quick check with God Mode and No Clip or just check the map in Mapster and call it finished for now. :P

User is online   Polunka 

View PostFistMarine, on 02 August 2016 - 04:04 AM, said:

Nice finds Polunka! You found a lot of bugs so far and you did a very good job, even better than me when I reported stuff. :D

Thanks bud B)

View PostFistMarine, on 02 August 2016 - 04:04 AM, said:

I really have to get back to playing Duke3D someday but these months for some reason I didn't have much interest in playing and I'd rather relax. :D

If I play something, I just quick check with God Mode and No Clip or just check the map in Mapster and call it finished for now. :P

Huh, it's not like I play Duke that much either :P . I'm actually used to constantly alter my gaming preferences (Doom-HL-Quake-whateverelse, I also play SWTOR a lot these days, if ya know what this is). And of course I don't let myself get sucked into the virtual reality and relax, I'd say I relax now even more than I play computer games :D.

No problem. And I know what you mean, I also switch through games when I get bored of one and want to play the other one and so on. But I meant that I don't have interest in gaming in general right now, not just Duke3D.

User is online   Polunka 

View PostFistMarine, on 02 August 2016 - 11:15 AM, said:

No problem. And I know what you mean, I also switch through games when I get bored of one and want to play the other one and so on. But I meant that I don't have interest in gaming in general right now, not just Duke3D.

Oh, sorry, man, I guess I kinda didn't get your point right :P

User is online   Polunka 

Btw, NF, you doesn't seem to have heard about the muddlelizer bug in Oblivion :P It has been mentioned by someone but you haven't said a word about it. Didn't you notice that post?

P.S.: Off-topic, but I've found a bug in one of Kucera's maps. So await another report after I've finished playing the pack B)

This post has been edited by Polunka: 07 August 2016 - 09:21 PM

User is online   Polunka 

Well, now it's not gonna be an off-topic post, since I'm already typing my report :P

Once again, attaching the screenshots.

So, the only thing I consider a fixable bug here is simply 2 missing textures in xxx.map (attachments #1, 2 and 3). Just a cinema screen and a projector providing the image for it. The thing is, as you can see in the shots, both of them don't have any textures (HOM), which is pretty weird. I mean, if you apply the real-life logic here, it's understandble - the screen must display things the projector projects onto it. But I guess if you make a cinema simulation in Duke3D, you just have to put a texture onto the screen and then the same texture onto the projector, only undersized; as I conceive it, the projector and the screen can't be connected (at least without any CON editing), since they're simply parts of map's geometry and they just have to emulate a feeling that the projector provides the screen with an image for real. (hope you comprehend this part) That might mean that either the author was forgetful enough not to place any texture onto both the screen and the projector or this texture (art file) is just missing. Well, this is all; an automap shot is to guide you at the relative placement of the screen and the projector.

The following thing is not considered fixable by me, since I highly doubt you'll wish to mess with maps' geometry. I'm gonna be reporting about an elevator that can prevent you from proceeding under some cirsumstances.

The elevator is in rk.map (attachments #4 and 5): the thing is, the elevator itself is placed too close to the door (which is already open in the shot) which prevents you from triggering it in case you've sent it up (just like in the shot); it's supposed to take you to the nuke button, which means you can't finish the level without cheating should you find yourself in such a situation. I think it's because the door is too close which results in pressing "use" on it instead of the elevator (at least you can't open/close the door since it's operated via a button, otherwise you would die upon trying to get the lift back). I've tried from every angle possible (99% sure B)) but I can't use the elevator instead of the wicked door.

Well, this is all for now. I hope you'll comprehend the gibberish I've written.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0025.png
  • Attached Image: duke0026.png
  • Attached Image: duke0027.png
  • Attached Image: duke0028.png
  • Attached Image: duke0029.png

This post has been edited by Polunka: 02 October 2016 - 04:27 AM

It was I who reported the bug from Oblivion, it's a bit serious since it makes a few secrets and potentially maps "unproceedable" ... Only way I found was either to dnclip arround said passages because using dnkrow would make me lose or gain health which is not the objective :/

BTW on your screenshot it'd be nice if you wrote slightly smaller ^^

It's nice to see someone taking their time for reporting so many bugs in such a short time. I'm only wondering if there is a problem with the latest version of EDuke32 that causes these glitches or these maps were bugged from the start. Because it would really suck in the case you want to play a couple of addons to have some fun and in most of them you encounter a very annoying bug that prevents you from continuing.

Which is why I wait for the latest version of respective addons, to make sure there are no bugs when I play it. And that's why I check addons at first with God Mode and No Clip, to see if there are minor issues, before starting a serious playthrough that I can enjoy to its fullest.

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 08 August 2016 - 03:43 AM

• The Truth is in here

I can already say I don't see how I could do anything about Oblivion. I don't know what's wrong there and I have no idea about CON coding. If you don't find anybody who knows, it's gonna stay like that, I'm afraid. Considering it was working at some point, it has to be assumed it broke with some change within EDuke32.

I have played all the maps in the compilation except for Oblivion since I didn't have the time for it. I play as anybody would when checking this out as a normal player, i.e. I wouldn't mess around with switches and stuff to intentionally try to "break" things. That's why issues like that one with the door switch in 007 weren't found. The missing textures in the cinema may have been overlooked because I simply skipped that area, but I can't remember any more. Things like that just happen in a one-man project. You need several playthroughs if you wanna find everything.

@Polunka:
- Texture issues in XXX fixed. Seems like the author intended to put custom art there (texture is #3585) which he took from "Penthouse Paradise", but it wasn't included in the zipfile that contained the original map. It is actually in the kucera.grp file, but I had named it so that it's only used in "Reichskanzlei" (because that one had it). Apparently it applies to more than just that map. Clearly a mistake by the author - you should always include custom art files with every release, also if several of your maps share the same file. Anyway, it will work properly in 3.1.
- RK seems to be infixable indeed. You can still get the elevator back down by random glitching, pressing crouch and use key like crazy while trying to push the elevator wall. I will add a note about this in the readme.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 08 August 2016 - 01:53 AM

Share this topic:

• 68 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options