Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] Duke Hard episode - Duke4.net Forums

• 17 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] Duke Hard episode  "By the Duke4 community"

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Maybe he's talking about some of the code we added?

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostDaedolon, on 05 October 2016 - 11:49 PM, said:

Considering there were maps from fifteen different mappers, it would be hard to go and patch any EDuke32 specific effects out of maps without knowing where the mappers used them. Also, we've stated time and time again that it would be very stupid to go back waste time to create lesser versions of the maps.

Im not asking anyone to patch this mod in anyway. I was just hoping Eduke would have been the foundation of WT. Now by the sounds of things we will have just another fork of the original game.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 06 October 2016 - 06:23 AM

User is offline   Sanek 

Wanted to finally give a + to Duke Hard, but suddenly moved my mouse and gave it a -. Damn guys, I'm so sorry! Is it possible to change a vote by any chance? ;)

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostSanek, on 06 October 2016 - 06:20 AM, said:

Wanted to finally give a + to Duke Hard, but suddenly moved my mouse and gave it a -. Damn guys, I'm so sorry! Is it possible to change a vote by any chance? ;)

The rep points really don't matter that much, especially when it's already got 20+. Besides, you're only giving the rep to 1 of the 15 people who worked on the project anyway.

I got the new Eduke32 and installed it. Then, I again dl'd Duke Hard. It shows up in my Directory. So, I side scroll to it and hit enter...and nothing happens.
Me thinks the best way to do this is to DL that program that splits out the maps separately and try playing them one at a time.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Is there any chance anyone can post a quick con fix (if possible) to get the ingame menu working again properly with recent EDuke32 snapshots? Looks like some code change since DH v1.2 brought back the old issue.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 18 January 2018 - 06:31 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Yeah, I guess for the moment we can patch in a fix. It should be a one or two line change.

• The Truth is in here

Great! If a fixed release cannot happen in the near future, could you maybe just post the lines that need to be changed here? I wanted to have a DH version properly working with recent EDuke32 snapshots included in the compilation update by the end of January, if possible.

• Weaponized Autism

Fixed: http://dukeworld.duk...keHard-1.2.1.7z

• The Truth is in here

Let's hope it will last for a while this time. ^^

User is offline   MetHy 

Hendricks found this video

• Honored Donor

View PostMetHy, on 02 February 2018 - 12:02 AM, said:

Hendricks found this video

https://www.youtube....h?v=8t0f9IfXCYs

Heh, my map killed him off a few times, and he only beat 3D Realms' time by less than 2 seconds.

User is online   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

View PostMicky C, on 12 February 2018 - 05:35 AM, said:

Heh, my map killed him off a few times, and he only beat 3D Realms' time by less than 2 seconds.

Yeah! While other maps were skipped and finished in less than 5 seconds, I think your map is one of the most original and well designed in the pack, although my favs are the duke burguer one (I don't remember the name ir author, sorry) and Forge's map.

Just finished playing Duke Hard and it was incredible. It's a shame that the latest version of EDuke32 breaks a few maps and I had to noclip certain parts as the only way to advance. Very impressed with this effort regardless, and will definitely be one of my go to mods in the future. Usually in projects like these I expect there to be a lot of balancing issues and maps being hit or miss. This was very solid for most of it with very few misses. Some times a map or two was a bit rough around the edges on balancing difficulty, but nothing too outrageous.

Great job.

• Weaponized Autism

View PostPutrid Pete, on 18 October 2019 - 07:43 AM, said:

It's a shame that the latest version of EDuke32 breaks a few maps and I had to noclip certain parts as the only way to advance.

Could you share where the issues are?

View PostHendricks266, on 18 October 2019 - 10:48 AM, said:

Could you share where the issues are?

I remember 3 maps being broken:

The last level, Rooftops, because it requires you to climb some stairs and they refused to work altogether; there was another level that had stairs on them but I don't remember the name. It had the same issue, stairs refused to work. The other was Poormann's Library (level 12). There's a section where you go through a mirror and it absorbs you into a different room; with the latest EDuke32 release, it squishes you once you reach the next room.

Edit: Also, I beat the mod in 'Come Get Some' difficulty but didn't unlock any extra content. Maybe because I was forced to cheat with noclip to get past the three aforementioned maps?

This post has been edited by Putrid Pete: 18 October 2019 - 11:29 AM

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostPutrid Pete, on 18 October 2019 - 11:26 AM, said:

I remember 3 maps being broken:

The last level, Rooftops, because it requires you to climb some stairs and they refused to work altogether; there was another level that had stairs on them but I don't remember the name. It had the same issue, stairs refused to work. The other was Poormann's Library (level 12). There's a section where you go through a mirror and it absorbs you into a different room; with the latest EDuke32 release, it squishes you once you reach the next room.

Edit: Also, I beat the mod in 'Come Get Some' difficulty but didn't unlock any extra content. Maybe because I was forced to cheat with noclip to get past the three aforementioned maps?

Maybe most of your concerns might be addressed running an older version of the Eduke32 software not necessarily problems with the maps themselves. What version of Eduke32 are you running with this episode?

This post has been edited by Paul B: 21 October 2019 - 08:49 AM

View PostPaul B, on 21 October 2019 - 08:47 AM, said:

Maybe most of your concerns might be addressed running an older version of the Eduke32 software not necessarily problems with the maps themselves. What version of Eduke32 are you running with this episode?

When I say that 3 maps are broken, I meant to say that they were broken by the latest EDuke32 build that I had at the time (from September 19), and not that they were broken in and of themselves, if that makes sense. If you read my first post I said:

"It's a shame that the latest version of EDuke32 breaks a few maps and I had to noclip certain parts as the only way to advance."

Sorry for the confusion. And yes, an earlier version of EDuke should do the trick, although I haven't tested it with the new builds since the one I used then.

This post has been edited by Putrid Pete: 21 October 2019 - 09:16 AM

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostPutrid Pete, on 21 October 2019 - 09:14 AM, said:

When I say that 3 maps are broken, I meant to say that they were broken by the latest EDuke32 build that I had at the time (from September 19), and not that they were broken in and of themselves, if that makes sense. If you read my first post I said:

"It's a shame that the latest version of EDuke32 breaks a few maps and I had to noclip certain parts as the only way to advance."

Sorry for the confusion. And yes, an earlier version of EDuke should do the trick, although I haven't tested it with the new builds since the one I used then.

Ahh. okay sorry I didn't read any of the previous posts. Thanks for the clarification.

View PostPutrid Pete, on 18 October 2019 - 11:26 AM, said:

The other was Poormann's Library (level 12).

Somehow I just knew, as soon as he said something was broken, that I'd get the blame for this in one way or another. :o

And then I wonder why nobody invites me onto any form of community projects any more.

User is online   Tekedon 

View PostHigh Treason, on 22 October 2019 - 10:56 AM, said:

Somehow I just knew, as soon as he said something was broken, that I'd get the blame for this in one way or another. :P

And then I wonder why nobody invites me onto any form of community projects any more.

Eduke32 can't handle your mapping skills :o :D

User is offline   MetHy 

We're going to make an update to fix the broken intro and other issues; if there is anything anyone wants to fix on the mapping side now is the time. I'm talking broken stuff or things that could block player progression; although after playing through the episode I haven't spotted any other issue but each mapper would know best.

For instance I'm going to do:
- DH1.map: for the switches puzzle, replace the ceiling doors in front of the switches by SE32 so that the switches can be used as well as shot
- DHSL.map: same thing
- DH16.map: delete the electric chord sprite which blocks progression because the player can not crouch below it anymore. This is an engine issue but I'm deleting the chord anyway because players complained in the past about that last switch being too well hidden and that chord is the reason.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 07 December 2020 - 05:36 AM

• Honored Donor

Is it not the responsibility of eduke32 to maintain compatibility with existing mods and maps? Who knows how many maps are out there that are broken and don’t have the opportunity of being fixed.

• The Truth is in here

In general, if a map that used to work with older EDuke32 snapshots should not be changed in order to make it work again with a newer (possibly broken) snapshot. If the port broke it, the port needs to be fixed. We are currently seeing this while testing the Addon Compilation with latest EDuke32 builds, quite a few (also rather old) maps don't work any more even though they had not been touched.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 11 December 2020 - 01:46 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

I'm not arguing about that, like I said the crouching under sprites bug should be fixed on the EDuke32 side since it affects other maps but I want to delete the sprite anyway for other reasons. The other map fixes I mentionned are not broken things, just bad design choices.

Also sometimes there may be cases where the designer may have used a glitch, a hack, or an unintended feature of a specific EDuke32 revisions range, but then the bug got fixed or EDuke32 added a new feature to get to that same point through intended ways, which may create a conflict with the hacky ways. This seems to be the case with the intro not playing.

User is offline   ck3D 

Someone on YouTube just posted their map per map playthrough of the episode, cool to see people still enjoying it: https://www.youtube....heDesync/videos

Also just a random thought, but the other day it occurred to me how easily it would be to make an add-on to this community add-on; because of the template-based format, making more levels should be really easy if people ever feel so inclined. Of course making a brand new template would also work but this one is a classic now, could be funny to make an alternative or expanded tower keeping the same settings.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 08 March 2021 - 12:16 PM

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

Late, but:

View Postck3D, on 08 March 2021 - 12:15 PM, said:

Also just a random thought, but the other day it occurred to me how easily it would be to make an add-on to this community add-on; because of the template-based format, making more levels should be really easy if people ever feel so inclined. Of course making a brand new template would also work but this one is a classic now, could be funny to make an alternative or expanded tower keeping the same settings.

That sounds like a fun thought, though it seems like everyone is busy with their own projects at the moment. Still, merging new levels in sounds like a neat expansion pack. I am biased however; I'm attracted to these "single direction" type of projects for some reason.

User is offline   ck3D 

View PostNinety-Six, on 19 March 2021 - 10:15 AM, said:

Late, but:

That sounds like a fun thought, though it seems like everyone is busy with their own projects at the moment. Still, merging new levels in sounds like a neat expansion pack. I am biased however; I'm attracted to these "single direction" type of projects for some reason.

You know, it almost sounds like something a new generation of mappers could take on, as a group or even individually really. The template with the 'detailed' surroundings is already there and then it's all about filling in some empty space that's not exactly too big or complicated either. For a beginner that sounds ideal, and if something started forming then perhaps more experienced mappers would jump in since to them making a short level could be a fun casual thing to do that takes little to no time. Just food for thought, a lot of people on here don't map or map but mentally don't consider themselves mappers for some reason, making a Duke Hard map might sound less intimidating and resonate with their levels of confidence a bit better; surely there's something to be formed (but it's really just one idea out of a near infinity of possible things to do). Ideally I could see that result into the birth of a brand new generation of confident mappers and I think that would be really cool.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 20 March 2021 - 01:33 AM

User is offline   Avenger 

Is there any way to adjust the volume level for the cutscene videos without having to crank up the settings menu volume sliders that are otherwise set perfectly for playing the maps?

This post has been edited by Avenger: 24 July 2021 - 02:11 PM

User is offline   ck3D 

There's a new gameplay video on YouTube here:

Don't know whether or not that's a blind/first playthrough, either way I'm actually kind of reassured by how quickly that player understood the 'logic' of Commercial Break despite some of its design being more obscure than I would have liked it to be still, maybe. They did get stuck a few times but never for an obnoxious amount of time, instantly found all the switches and quickly figured out the pattern of the rooms looping around the middle with both halves originally being separated. Progression could be a lot clearer but now I don't really think it's that bad of a level anymore.

Also since this thread is pinned and I'm bumping it, for convenience and posterity, might as well link to the Dod of the Month thread featuring the mod: https://forums.duke4...september-2021/ since that one is not and so bound to slip into relative oblivion.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 26 December 2021 - 04:25 PM

Share this topic:

• 17 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options