Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] Duke Hard episode - Duke4.net Forums

• 17 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] Duke Hard episode  "By the Duke4 community"

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostFantinaikos, on 20 June 2016 - 06:08 AM, said:

Some problems on Duke Hard: I have finished it on latest 1.2 on Come Get Some difficulty, but the -Locked- content still as it is. Plus when final credits end and I return to menu title screen the writings overlap. Also all the .ANM custom cutscenes (so both intro and credits) are just a black screen with sound only. It depend from the latest eduke32 build or the mod still kinda messy? Furthermore, it should auto-generate a custom .cfg to make let him detect that the game is completed under determinate conditions.

The extra content is the ability to replay the episode using a map randomizer mod which gives you a different order every time, or by letting you select the map you wan to play. It should unlock if you beat the game on CGS without using any cheat, I take you haven't used any?

For the videos I'm clueless, you don't have any other mod files loose in your root EDuke32 folder?

Nothing like that, and it happens both with addon compilation (updated manually) and with the standalone version. I have to assume, if it happens to anyone else, that is a latest build incompatibility at this point.
I also noticed that I have to reset the controls every time I exit the game. I do not know if this depends by the mod itself, is not a big problem but it a little annoying.

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 21 June 2016 - 06:59 AM

User is offline   Steve 64 

ShowCase Map

How many Protozoid Slimers are there in the maps?

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

Why would anyone want a co-op version here? It's inspired by Die Hard, which involved a lone cop against a bunch of terrorist in a building. The only help he had was from the outside.

I really love this mapset and return to it often. I'd really like to see a Duke Hard II that has some of the general themes of the 2nd film (Airport).

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

There was some brief discussion about an airport version a while ago but it lost steam pretty quickly. Duke Hard was a bit of a fluke in how it got so many mappers together on to one project at the same time. The extremely tight mapping constraints helped it out quite a bit, both for the amount of time required to build a map, and for the novel idea of creatively using space. However, it'd be difficult to replicate Duke Hard under the exact same premise of the tower as the novelty has worn off, and flukes don't have a habit of repeating themselves. Once you move on to something like an airport, the concept suddenly becomes a lot more complicated: You need to stick somewhat with an airport theme instead of a general building which can have just about anything. The maps will need to fit together in a much smarter way, and the constraints won't be as tight or consistent. Don't forget the signature feature of airports are large open indoor spaces which are among the more difficult areas to detail in build.

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

True, that makes sense. I think it would be much more difficult to do mapping wise as well as getting enough people together to create something like this again. Maybe sometime though!

• Honored Donor

One idea to freshen things up could be a community gimmick episode, where each map is short and based on its own gimmick. E.g one could use the shrinker, one could use steroids, another is underwater sections etc. Although now that I think about it, I think Mister Sinister or someone may have mentioned this idea for an episode they're working on, which is probably where I subconsciously got the idea from. Not sure if he's going ahead with it or not though.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

I still have some ideas for a sequel in my head, which I guess I'll discuss with MetHy after I get some more immediate projects out of the way. It's very different but doable, but don't hold your breath until 2018 or something.

View PostMicky C, on 07 July 2016 - 07:41 PM, said:

One idea to freshen things up could be a community gimmick episode, where each map is short and based on its own gimmick. E.g one could use the shrinker, one could use steroids, another is underwater sections etc. Although now that I think about it, I think Mister Sinister or someone may have mentioned this idea for an episode they're working on, which is probably where I subconsciously got the idea from. Not sure if he's going ahead with it or not though.

Yeah, I made a thread about this a couple of months ago. As I recall, not to many people were willing to join and then I got carried away with university.
The idea of a gimmicky map was partially explored in Close Range, but I'm still willing to work on a community episode while I'm free of work and study.

User is offline   MetHy 

I've just stumbled on a Duke Hard video in my "recommended" list on Youtube. Someone named SSGMaster has recorded the entire episode

https://www.youtube....ZwQ3MBUuloEASde

Apparently he records lot's of FPS mods and maps.

User is offline   FistMarine 

I know that guy, he used to be called xdman. It's nice to see someone showing lots of mods for the old FPS games.

Another similar YouTube channel that I highly recommend is WhamNinjaMolehill. The only bad thing is that he hasn't done too many Duke mods. I also know someone by the name of Mikkel Frost Gaming that did a few Duke3D mod playthroughs and aside from the original game, he also did DNF 2013, Platoon, Lost Duke Episodes, Last Reaction & Water Bases and American Assault, as well as some user maps. Unfortunately he didn't finish some of the playthroughs and when he made a new channel not too long ago, he seemed to give up on playing Duke mods.

I hope someone decides to make a playthrough of some old Duke3D mods, I don't want to see an opportunity like this wasted.

I already knew about this guy because... well... is it sad if I occasionally look up things I had involvement in or created to see if anyone has mentioned them anywhere?

Well i've done the 4 first map so far and i have a blast!

Long time i did'nt enjoyed that much a duke Vanilla experience ! : )

Loved the map-art ! Keep up the good work guys!

This post has been edited by Kenny mckormick: 19 September 2016 - 12:27 PM

User is offline   Paul B 

I wonder if Mods such as this will be compatible in the upcoming World Tour since all these maps were created with the basic vanilla style mapping in mind.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

I don't think it will since custom stabbing was added in eduke to work around maps-per-episode limitations.
It will likely work about as good as it did on megaton at best.

User is offline   Paul B 

View Postoasiz, on 04 October 2016 - 12:57 PM, said:

I don't think it will since custom stabbing was added in eduke to work around maps-per-episode limitations.

This could be the downfall to the success of World Tour. What Gearbox needs to realize is Duke is not alive today because of a kickass video game released in 1996. Duke is around today because of the Eduke community. There have been a handful of great old games that have come and gone by the waste side because there was no community left to keep them going. If Gearbox wants to be successful, they have to realize why people still talk about Duke Nukem. It is because of the community, devs, mods. HRP, and custom user maps. The engine is old, but flexible and it has adapted thanks to some hard working individuals. If Gearbox shits on the user community by not supporting all of the above then they will be working against team Duke.

So who is Gearbox really targeting? They are targeting the older generation gamer and the mobile\console device market. Duke 3D was already optimized to run on crappy hardware making it a natural fit to run on mobile platforms. However, I cannot see a FPS game being any fun on a tiny screen that is driven by an inaccurate touch interface or joystick. I doubt the new release will appeal to any younger generation since younger generations are more interested in the latest AAA games that have destructible environments, real 3D models and open world online multi-player. This game is too politically incorrect to fit in with today’s youth.

When a game gets re-released as many times as Duke 3D people expect to see some significant updates to justify having to buy the game over again for the 3rd or 10th time. People want a product that delivers and in my opinion Terminx should have been team lead from the start and Gearbox should have integrated with Terminx to release a single, polished, functional HTTK multi-player game on Steam with full backwards compatibility along with an optimized and complete polymer renderer. Instead, we have another rendition of the same original game to which I can say best of luck Gearbox.

As far as why Gearbox might be doing this, I still will not fully understand unless they want to add something to Duke's past to rewrite history in preparation for a new sequel. Sorry to say, but this is not the type of game that will go over like Pokémon go or Mario Brothers.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 04 October 2016 - 10:27 PM

• Honored Donor

Gearbox are simply releasing World Tour to make a quick buck, on a game that's already been re-released many times I might add (which is why they're putting in as much effort as they are).

Once your money is in their wallet, they don't care what happens to World Tour. Besides, they probably know they can't compete with eduke32 for the full package experience (except for multiplayer, and even that may be fixed in the future).

It's not like they can do anything about mod support anyway. The only way to support all the mods that have come out in the last 10 years or so would be to use eduke32 itself as a base. Still, if it can support standard maps with the expanded limit and new art that'd go a long way. It would be nice if they didn't break any pre-eduke mods so that you could at least use some basic scripting.

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostMicky C, on 04 October 2016 - 09:28 PM, said:

Gearbox are simply releasing World Tour to make a quick buck, on a game that's already been re-released many times I might add (which is why they're putting in as much effort as they are).

Once your money is in their wallet, they don't care what happens to World Tour. Besides, they probably know they can't compete with eduke32 for the full package experience (except for multiplayer, and even that may be fixed in the future).

It's not like they can do anything about mod support anyway. The only way to support all the mods that have come out in the last 10 years or so would be to use eduke32 itself as a base. Still, if it can support standard maps with the expanded limit and new art that'd go a long way. It would be nice if they didn't break any pre-eduke mods so that you could at least use some basic scripting.

Gearbox could have made a quick buck quite easily if only they built upon a game which showcased all the community's work over the last 16 years and made that content available to a larger audience. People would have gladly bought in and Gearbox could have cashed in on all the free work the community has donated over the years by just incorporating Eduke into their product line. Back in 2011 when I started mapping again it didn't take me long to realize the benefits Eduke\Mapster had over the original Duke3D\Build programs.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 04 October 2016 - 10:37 PM

User is offline   MetHy 

View Postoasiz, on 04 October 2016 - 12:57 PM, said:

This, which is not very well. My maps for instance have some effects which only work as intended in EDuke32 (subway carrying non active sprites; E2L1 style spaceship at the end throwing rockets but at a higher Z level than the player, etc)

View PostMetHy, on 04 October 2016 - 11:41 PM, said:

This, which is not very well. My maps for instance have some effects which only work as intended in EDuke32 (subway carrying non active sprites; E2L1 style spaceship at the end throwing rockets but at a higher Z level than the player, etc)

Or even something as simple as changing the magazine capacity on the pistol...

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostRobert Stever, on 05 October 2016 - 12:13 PM, said:

Or even something as simple as changing the magazine capacity on the pistol...

Irrelevant to Duke Hard.

EDIT: It's clear that Robert Stever didn't actually follow the conversation and merely posted to hear himself speak. Hence, the downvote.

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 05 October 2016 - 01:58 PM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostHendricks266, on 05 October 2016 - 01:31 PM, said:

EDIT: It's clear that Robert Stever didn't actually follow the conversation and merely posted to hear himself speak. Hence, the downvote.

maybe.
or maybe he just doesn't like your face.

User is offline   LkMax 

View PostHendricks266, on 05 October 2016 - 01:31 PM, said:

Nope, I downvoted you because yourself didn't contribute to the discussion and MetHy was talking just before Robert Stever about features that afaik also have nothing to do with Duke Hard.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostLkMax, on 05 October 2016 - 04:01 PM, said:

Nope, I downvoted you because yourself didn't contribute to the discussion and MetHy was talking just before Robert Stever about features that afaik also have nothing to do with Duke Hard.

I'm talking about me downvoting him. And you're wrong, MetHy is talking about his Duke Hard maps.

View PostLkMax, on 05 October 2016 - 04:01 PM, said:

Same here, I guess I entered a world where language is meaningless.
If we really want to get into semantics Paul B derailed the thread with a rather poignant question.

This post has been edited by Robert Stever: 05 October 2016 - 06:44 PM

User is offline   Paul B 

I'm not trying to derail this thread, I was just hoping this mod would have been more compatible with WT then megaton was. I didn't realize Methy had added unique functionality. I was hoping WT would have been a spin off of Eduke, since WT made use of Mapster not the build editor. Just so you know Robert Stever I have an invested interest in Duke Hard.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 05 October 2016 - 08:51 PM

User is offline   xMobilemux 

Just finished Duke Hard after back & forth play sessions and it was kick ass, props to everyone involved.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Considering there were maps from fifteen different mappers, it would be hard to go and patch any EDuke32 specific effects out of maps without knowing where the mappers used them. Also, we've stated time and time again that it would be very stupid to go back waste time to create lesser versions of the maps.

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostPaul B, on 05 October 2016 - 08:20 PM, said:

I didn't realize Methy had added unique functionality.

I didn't either when I made them.

Share this topic:

• 17 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options