User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

From Wikipedia:

QuakeCon 2012
Total Attendance: 7,652
BYOC Attendance: 2,488

This post has been edited by Fox: 27 June 2014 - 08:47 AM

User is offline   Malgon 

I remember the line for the BYOC was huge, and then when everyone was in the LAN room all set up it was quite an impressive sight.

Malgon, on 27 June 2014 - 06:17 PM, said:

I remember the line for the BYOC was huge, and then when everyone was in the LAN room all set up it was quite an impressive sight.

I always loved to look at these pictures and always wondered how interesting it would be to actually be there with all those various people and have some proper mp gaming.
Posted Image
I think quakecon might be the only place on earth where so many desktop pcs are in a huge room all running at the same time.

What would have made those hardcore desktop gaming gatherings even better is an mp fps game where everybody in that room could join and play together at the same time.
Now that would have been amazing.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 28 June 2014 - 01:25 AM

User is offline   HulkNukem 

I wonder how hot that damn room is? When I have a console and PC on upstairs at my house its damn hot, even with the AC blasting.

User is offline   Frederik Schreiber 

• Slipgate Studios

Mr.Deviance, on 28 June 2014 - 01:17 AM, said:

I always loved to look at these pictures and always wondered how interesting it would be to actually be there with all those various people and have some proper mp gaming.
Posted Image
I think quakecon might be the only place on earth where so many desktop pcs are in a huge room all running at the same time.

What would have made those hardcore desktop gaming gatherings even better is an mp fps game where everybody in that room could join and play together at the same time.
Now that would have been amazing.

QuakeCon is a great event, but there are many BYOC's out there which are bigger.
The Party, from the city where I grew up (Small town in Denmark with a population of a couple of thousand) was a Demo Party running from the early nineties (Amiga/C64 party), which were twice as big as the Quakecon BOYC is today, back in 99 - 2000. Futurecrew often attended (Who later became Futuremark/Remedy). Many Scandinavian Game Studios spawned from The Party and Assembly (hacker/cracker/demo groups).
http://en.wikipedia....rty_(demo_party)

I basically grew up in the demo scene, from 1999 - 2008. I attended 6 - 8 parties every year consistently. Absolutely defined me as a gamer :P
Posted Image

Other noticeable mentions, Assembly which has around 5000 attendees, and Dreamhack with over 20,000 attendees at one point.

Posted Image

Quakecon is an amazing event though. I've enjoyed every year I've been there!

This post has been edited by Frederik Schreiber: 01 July 2014 - 01:44 PM

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

http://www.vg247.com...t-look-at-doom/

The new Doom is going to be in attendance at QuakeCon 2014. But you are not allowed to look at it.

Doom will be shown to QuakeCon 2014 attendees, an E3 Doom teaser video promised, but a post on the Beth Blog now confirms that those not making the trip will miss out.

“Fans in attendance at QuakeCon 2014 will have the opportunity to get a sneak peek at what’s been going on with the new DOOM game from id Software,” Bethesda wrote.

“This an exclusive thing we are doing for attendees as part of our Annual QuakeCon Welcome presentation. We’ll have plenty more to show everyone at a later date, but we didn’t want another QuakeCon to go by without doing something special for the amazing QC community and id supporters that have been with us for more than 20 years.”

So unless somebody sneaks in a phone and films on the sly, the rest of us are out of luck. Somebody probably will, but Zenimax is pretty good at smacking down video infringements, so you’ll have to keep your eyes peeled.

Just fucking perfect... And how does Zenimax justify this to people that don't live in usa?
Why this preferential treatment to USA doom fans?
I'm pretty sure that it's not even a USA thing because there are many people in USA that won't ever be able to travel from one end to the other, just for quakecon.

The advertisement from the doom4 teaser claiming that more shit will be revealed at quakecon 2014 is false advertisement pure and fucking simple...
If you claim in a public teaser seen by millions of people that more shit is going to be shown at quakecon 2014 and then you go and release a cryptic written statement (that is almost guaranteed nobody that saw the video will find out about) that it's only going to be shown in private at quakecon, you disqualify yourself as a credible company in your future marketing claims.
If they intended to only show more doom4 stuff in private only for a handful of people that live near the doom4 studios, they should have specified this shit in the teaser...

Zenimax can go fuck itself

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 01 July 2014 - 04:53 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I'd hardly call this a major betrayal or anything like that, although it is a bit unfair.

Although revealing a highly anticipated game at a private expo to only those who attended happened to another game that ultimately turned out to be shit. Can't quite remember the name of it... if only there was some banner at the top of this website that happened to by coincidence remind me of the particular game I'm thinking of.

Micky C, on 01 July 2014 - 04:53 PM, said:

I'd hardly call this a major betrayal or anything like that, although it is a bit unfair.

Although revealing a highly anticipated game at a private expo to only those who attended happened to another game that ultimately turned out to be shit. Can't quite remember the name of it... if only there was some banner at the top of this website that happened to by coincidence remind me of the particular game I'm thinking of.

The reaveal of DNF at pax was definitely not private.
I think every single person that attended that place managed to leak videos of it.

• Honored Donor

Yeah bits of the video were leaked, fact remains that the trailer was officially meant to be exclusive for those who went to PAX.

Why are they doing a private reveal anyway? I'm not swallowing their "rewarding those who actually" go explanation since like you said, that pretty much automatically excludes 99.999% of the potential players based purely on location (as opposed to say, dedication or enthusiasm which they seem to be implying).

If they really wanted to do something special, show some decent stuff to the public, and then show those who actually attended a bit of extra stuff. Unless they have something to hide of course.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

There will most definitely be some recorded and leaked footage of whatever is shown. Just sucks thatll be the first time we see the game though

Micky C, on 01 July 2014 - 05:05 PM, said:

If they really wanted to do something special, show some decent stuff to the public, and then show those who actually attended a bit of extra stuff. Unless they have something to hide of course.

Exactly my point.
This shit is sneaky.

User is offline   Hank 

^ This simply shows that at this moment they (Bethesda/Zenimax) are not capable to produce anything worth showing to the public. All they are good at is suing ex-employees, like John Carmack.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

They're keeping the crap they have for the die hard fans who will worship everything they do. That stuff's too dangerous to their reputation to let loose on the internet.

• Honored Donor

MusicallyInspired, on 01 July 2014 - 06:04 PM, said:

They're keeping the crap they have for the die hard fans who will worship everything they do. That stuff's too dangerous to their reputation to let loose on the internet.

Are you implying that the diehard fans will like whatever they're shown, that they'd have faith in Id to release a good product regardless of what they're shown, or a combination of both?

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

The Id that we all knew is long dead and gone.

• The Sarien Encounter

Micky C, on 01 July 2014 - 06:40 PM, said:

Are you implying that the diehard fans will like whatever they're shown, that they'd have faith in Id to release a good product regardless of what they're shown, or a combination of both?

That's Zenimax's line of thinking.

It'll probably be a 1st day private showing, last day public reveal. How long do Bethesda think they will keep it private and unleaked for? chances are that it will be leaked an hour after they finish and once something is on the net, it's on there forever.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

I really don't care. They're trying to give us blue balls and they can go fuck themselves. I already have the masterpiece in hand as far as the Doom franchise is concerned. It's called DOOM, and it came out in 1993. The community has made it the best game it can possibly be, and that will always rank out higher than anything this corporate mess manages to squeeze out from it's bowels.

User is offline   pjVgt 

Commando Nukem, on 02 July 2014 - 11:37 AM, said:

I really don't care. They're trying to give us blue balls and they can go fuck themselves. I already have the masterpiece in hand as far as the Doom franchise is concerned. It's called DOOM, and it came out in 1993. The community has made it the best game it can possibly be, and that will always rank out higher than anything this corporate mess manages to squeeze out from it's bowels.

I think that sadly whatever they will try to do it will never reach even 5% of fun what I have when playing brutal doom mod.

If I would be in place of zenimax honchos I would hire those guys who worked on brutal doom as project managers and shower them with money to hire professional artists, modelers and so on. Disband all those losers that were left in id software. Just make brutal doom in idtech5 and I am ready to put my last money on it.

This post has been edited by pjVgt: 03 July 2014 - 12:34 AM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

pjVgt, on 03 July 2014 - 12:34 AM, said:

I think that sadly whatever they will try to do it will never reach even 5% of fun what I have when playing brutal doom mod.

If I would be in place of zenimax honchos I would hire those guys who worked on brutal doom as project managers and shower them with money to hire professional artists, modelers and so on. Disband all those losers that were left in id software. Just make brutal doom in idtech5 and I am ready to put my last money on it.

Sorry, no. Brutal Doom is awesome in my opinion, but to the vast gaming community, it's a glorified graphical novelty.

MusicallyInspired, on 01 July 2014 - 06:04 PM, said:

Are you kidding yourself? There are no such things as die hard fans of zenimax when it comes to doom.
Sure, there are die hards for bethesda when it comes to other games like the elder scrolls but that's it.

There are many die hard Doom fans out there, me being one of them and I can tell you for fact that the more die hard a fan is, the more he knows what doom should be about and the more conservative he will be.
Die hard fans of doom, are those people that will criticize the next doom first!
So saying that die hard fans will worship any bullshit doom, doesn't make any sense.
Also, judging that everybody attending quakecon is automatically a doom or an id fan, is a very subjective thing to say,

People that attend quakecon are the people that first and foremost live next to it and want to check it out because they know it's cool.
There are extremely few people that are actually traveling the whole country or even across countries, just because they are id or quake/doom fans.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 03 July 2014 - 03:05 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

Either way, they will keep it contained by keeping it private than shooting themselves in the foot and spreading it around for everyone to demolish.

MusicallyInspired, on 03 July 2014 - 04:44 PM, said:

Either way, they will keep it contained by keeping it private than shooting themselves in the foot and spreading it around for everyone to demolish.

At one point they are going have to show the general public the game.

• The Sarien Encounter

Yeah, when it's more ready than it is. They probably have very little right now. This way they have the public thinking they have "released" something which buys them time to take longer (because they have no good ideas). My theory. Could be completely false.

I'm pretty optimistic for this game. id scrapped a previous build that they called "Call of Doom", and apparently seem to have some vision for a game that is genuinly Doom-tastic. Whether they succeed or not we'll see, but I have high hopes. Hopefully it has clever and unusual level design, great combat, and great atmosphere. Hopefully good music too.

It is odd that they're keeping the reveal private, but hey I can wait, us FPS fans sure know how to wait. :P

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

This is the only game I'm really looking forward to (previous caveats withstanding).

They aren't showing anything substantial this year. Just pointless teasing on Bethesda's part.

This an exclusive thing we are doing for attendees as part of our Annual QuakeCon Welcome presentation. We'll have plenty more to show everyone next year, but we didn’t want another QuakeCon to go by without doing something for the amazing QC community and id supporters that have been with us for more than 20 years.

Don't worry, folks. The 7 year development cycle, design attrition and staff departures are really paying off.

I take the next year thing to be a reference to Quakecon. Atleast I hope it is only in the Quakecon context we will have to wait for a year.

Bethesda's using Doom to get people hyped for their Quakecon event. A show that lacks both a Carmack keynote and a game to be excited about. Since Fallout 4 isn't ready to be shown, and their announced publisher lineup is particularly poor consisting of The Evil Within, which received indifferent notices throughout the year, and the free-to-play game Battlecry (especially galling since it has nothing to do with the original intention of QuakeCon), they have to rely on a recently rebooted game to draw in the crowd.

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options