Duke4.net Forums: Duke3D & SW - Early/Alpha/Beta/Gold Material - Duke4.net Forums

• 82 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke3D & SW - Early/Alpha/Beta/Gold Material

Considering there was a ton of interest regarding SW betas (notabene, huge thanks to whoever did the TCRF pages!), I'm pretty sure no one is going to seriously shit over new LameDuke stuff. Even if the visuals etc are amateurish and there will be jokes about it, people really want to see some how the game evolved. Just my 2c, sorry if stating the obvious.

This post has been edited by CryptKiller: 09 July 2017 - 09:07 PM

User is offline   MTR 

View PostHendricks266, on 09 July 2017 - 12:06 PM, said:

We did not get "an OK for releasing builds". Randy stated that he is interested in letting it happen.

It's absolutely the same thing. Randy clearly stated that you need to collect full compilation with extras and then contact with Gearbox Publishing. It's now your turn to work things out, but seeing how you show here your attitude, you just don't want to work on it. And yet you continue to claim you have no greenlight for releasing, when in reality you just got greenlight on the livestream.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostMTR, on 09 July 2017 - 10:09 PM, said:

It's absolutely the same thing. Randy clearly stated that you need to collect full compilation with extras and then contact with Gearbox Publishing. It's now your turn to work things out, but seeing how you show here your attitude, you just don't want to work on it. And yet you continue to claim you have no greenlight for releasing, when in reality you just got greenlight on the livestream.

You're conflating two separate things here. Maybe you should watch the stream again?

User is offline   MTR 

View PostTerminX, on 09 July 2017 - 10:20 PM, said:

You're conflating two separate things here. Maybe you should watch the stream again?

I watched this moment several times, it's around 1:25 on the record. TX, can you explain the situation around the stuff then? What's the plan, what's happening and what's not happening?

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

You are absolutely wrong, so drop it before I ban you.

Spoiler

View PostMTR, on 09 July 2017 - 10:32 PM, said:

I watched this moment several times, it's around 1:25 on the record. TX, can you explain the situation around the stuff then? What's the plan, what's happening and what's not happening?

It's not like the stream makes the situation unclear, because it doesn't. But even if it did, you have been told numerous times in this thread already what the situation is.

You have been told what the situation is. Move on.

• Weaponized Autism

I'm excited for this video that I've made to be revealed publicly.

Quoting Joe's Facebook post: https://www.facebook...918151578438786

3D Realms, both under this name and our former name "Apogee Software", has put out a lot of games. As with any game, they go through development cycles with early versions, betas, and the like. Recently, we had been going through our archive of old beta games, and thought the fans might like to see a quick video showing some of these.

So that's what we have for you today. A short Youtube video showing pre-release beta title screens and snippets from several games from our past. Rise of the Triad, Major Stryker, Blake Stone, Realms of Chaos, Crystal Caves, Shadow Warrior, and several others.

As an added bonus, the song that plays during this video is a previously unreleased Lee Jackson song.

Enjoy this look back and some of our earlier titles. Here are a few words from 3D Realms historian, Joe Siegler.

"As I've been involved with the company in some capacity since late 1992, I have quite the collection of old beta games. Some of you from the old 3D Realms forums might remember that famous "Beta CD" I posted pictures and screen grabs from. The problem with them is that as time went on, the older betas became less useful. Why? Well, we were pretty good in keeping them from leaking out due to various security measures. These ranged from physical dongles you had to put into your parallel port, to more fiddly things. Such as making a specific DOS environment variable need to be set, plus date ranges, and simple passwords. The problem is now in 2017 that the majority of these old conditions were forgotten due to time. Then there were some whose zip files were password protected and the passwords lost. So again, another roadblock.

Jump forward to now, and we managed to find a way around all this. Don't want to say what that was specifically, but we at 3D Realms were able to access old betas and old games that we haven't seen in this state since before they were originally released. Was quite a refreshing look into the past, and that's why this video is here. We thought you'd like a quick peek into these legendary games from the past, and what they looked like back in the day.
This is also a fun video for me today as it comes out on the actual 3 year anniversary of me being involved with the new 3D Realms, so it's kind of a cool thing to put out there today of all days.

-- Joe Siegler
3D Realms Historian"

That was cool. What game was that unreleased music from?

User is offline   Perro Seco 

View PostPikaCommando, on 23 October 2017 - 03:41 PM, said:

That was cool. What game was that unreleased music from?
From Duke 3D.

And thanks for the video, great to see something new about this!

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Loved every bit of it. Was particularly surprised at Duke´s face hehe.

• Weaponized Autism

View PostPerro Seco, on 23 October 2017 - 04:06 PM, said:

From Duke 3D.

It's Green.

• Weaponized Autism

Joe managed to track down one of these. :rolleyes: :excl:

Posted Image

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Wooo!! Cool!

EDIT: Also, check here or my sig for the SC-55 recording. (with loop tags!)

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 23 October 2017 - 07:21 PM

User is offline   Ninjakitty 

Wha! Nice!!

This post has been edited by Ninjakitty: 23 October 2017 - 07:21 PM

Now that was cool. ASPASPASP? ASP, that's a Command Line Parameter for Duke Nukem I with a very unusual procedure required to get God Mode, never figured out what it was meant to mean, Apogee Software Productions? Also, Duke Nukum II, I'm sure we were told it never had that name.

It's Green has been recorded with a few different devices, namely OPL/FM/AdLib type hardware and a couple of Wavetables, you can get the recordings here - https://www.mediafir...3b1/3DR_ITSG.7z
Included are recordings from the Yamaha OPL chips, Turtle Beach Maui Wavetable, Terratec Maestro 32/96, Windows Voyetra FM Driver and Yamaha MU90R Module. Currently no GUS recording as I don't have the card running, I imagine it would sound a lot like the Maui version however. I opted to use a Pro Audio Spectrum 16 over a real Sound Blaster or AdLib as I don't own the latter and the Media Vision cards have far better circuitry anyway, it uses the exact same FM chip, it's just wired together much better.

Don't expect these to sound great, I strongly suspect the MIDI is unfinished as it doesn't use many controllers beyond Track 8 setting Vibrato to 0 and panning moving just once on Track 8 and Track 14, it does feature four program changes, two on tracks 8 and 13, it has very simple volume levels with all but the Timpani set to 105, it does not appear to contain any Apogee EMIDI controllers and Apogee's FM driver isn't stereo capable, so the A.S.S. renders are mono (Hence the Voyetra being included). Uniquely this MIDI uses 14 channels, no other Duke Nukem 3D MIDI uses more than 10. It contains no markers and no metadata in its header, there are also no System Exclusive messages sent.

Be weary of poking the innards of that AEGIS dongle, whilst I expect the internals are simple (Perhaps a simple GAL or PROM) I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn of it including some kind of anti-tamper mechanism if they were really serious about things.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 23 October 2017 - 09:16 PM

User is offline   Jess Renee 

Will all the stuff in the video come out?

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostJess Renee, on 23 October 2017 - 09:14 PM, said:

Will all the stuff in the video come out?

Probably not, but efforts are being made regarding some of it.

What level(s?) was It's Green assigned to? Also, was Stalker originally used for other levels, or has it always been Hollywood Holocaust's theme?

User is offline   Sanek 

Thanks to 3DRealms for this video! Makes me so excited about all that stuff. HQ version of It's Green sounds gorgeous!

View PostPikaCommando, on 24 October 2017 - 01:23 AM, said:

What level(s?) was It's Green assigned to?

It played during the city level in the 1995 D3D Beta video.

This post has been edited by Sanek: 24 October 2017 - 02:02 AM

User is offline   Hawke 

View PostHendricks266, on 23 October 2017 - 06:13 PM, said:

That was unexpected, good news!

View PostHendricks266, on 23 October 2017 - 06:13 PM, said:

Posted Image

What's this thing and what does it do? I've haven't seen this before.

• Weaponized Autism

View PostDustFalcon85, on 24 October 2017 - 07:24 AM, said:

What's this thing and what does it do? I've haven't seen this before.

It's an ÆGIS parallel port dongle. I haven't been able to crack it on one SW beta, Stargunner, and Mystic Towers. One Blood beta and a second SW beta also had it, but they accidentally encrypted the 16-bit DOS/4GW loader instead of the payload, so I simply copied over it from a different exe.

User is offline   The Nate 

What about Gearbox? Will they try to interfere if another release is attempted?

As long as nobody is touching anything with "Duke Nukem" printed on it, GBX will not be interested, so no worries about them.

User is offline   NNC 

View PostPikaCommando, on 24 October 2017 - 01:23 AM, said:

What level(s?) was It's Green assigned to? Also, was Stalker originally used for other levels, or has it always been Hollywood Holocaust's theme?

It's a perfect fit for Sweeney actually, since it's a fast paced track and Sweeney is a fast paced level with explosions an such. Sewer is better with a calmer soundtrack though.

User is offline   leilei 

itsgreen.mid and pizzed.mid

User is offline   Player Lin 

Posted Image

Too bad, if what Joe(or whoever using the 3DR facebook account) said is correct. :rolleyes:

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 25 October 2017 - 07:45 AM

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostPlayer Lin, on 25 October 2017 - 07:44 AM, said:

Too bad, if what Joe(or whoever using the 3DR facebook account) said is correct. :rolleyes:

I think that sometime much earlier something was mentioned about the version with female guards (along the lines that the build in question was in the archives), but I can't find that post just now. A quick search only found this:

View PostHendricks266, on 13 July 2014 - 10:39 PM, said:

It's getting ludicrous in here.

Posted Image

User is offline   The Kins 

View PostSgt Jack V, on 24 October 2017 - 01:42 PM, said:

What about Gearbox? Will they try to interfere if another release is attempted?
Gearbox only have control over the Duke Nukem stuff, and 3DR are both on speaking terms with them and know their boundaries. The fact that there was any Duke footage in this video leaves me optimistic in that regard... but there is a process for everything.

Share this topic:

• 82 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options