• 156 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doom Corner  "for all Doom related discussion"

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

In the midst of this quarantine I'm trying to gather Slayer Points to unlock stuff in Doom Eternal. I have 3 more referrals to give to people to sign up for the Slayer's Club by following a special link. Help me get some points and unlock stuff if you haven't already become a member. You don't need the game or anything and you can just ignore the account after you make it if you want. I've been spending all morning gathering points and now I'm just shy of 3000. 13,000 gets you the 25th anniversary skin for the game. 3000 gets you a special Pain Elemental skin. There's also unlockable skins for the Archvile and others at lower ranks.

I mean, there's not much else better to do right now. Help me get a few extra points lol. PM me for the link if you're interested.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Go ahead and send me a link, dude.

• The Sarien Encounter

PMed. Thanks, dude. My sister is going to do it later today so that's all of my 5 referrals accounted for (I've referred the others already).

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 04 April 2020 - 07:57 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

I made this yesterday for the fanart submissions.

Posted Image

User is offline   gemeaux333 

Is the a modding possibility that is in place or planned, like the workshop, for Domm Eternal ?

There is a few changes that can be made to make the game mre convenient to play : more ammo capacity, Super-shootgun OP again (shoot twice before reload), etc...

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 05 April 2020 - 10:36 AM

I made this yesterday for the fanart submissions.

I request SCI32 and Lucasart (also FMV/Myst adventure style if you want overdo it. Use clips from the movie is easier).

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 05 April 2020 - 10:44 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

View Postgemeaux333, on 05 April 2020 - 10:36 AM, said:

Is the a modding possibility that is in place or planned, like the workshop, for Domm Eternal ?

Nope.

View PostFantinaikos, on 05 April 2020 - 10:40 AM, said:

I request SCI32 and Lucasart (also FMV/Myst adventure style if you want overdo it. Use clips from the movie is easier).

LucasArts style would be great but would require more skill in the art department. Someone made a mockup of Brütal Legend in LucasArts adventure style once and it was great.

• Judge Mental

Blippity Bloppity Doom Adventure? Oh yes.

Whats frustrating in the end is all the armor tokens and sentinel batteries you have in excess at the end of the game but cannot use as you have acquired all you can with them prior to Taras Nabad (2 missions prior to Urdak) that is PNR...

It seems that even if John Cena will probably not be in a Duke Nukem movie, he will probably be the Doom Guy in the next DOOM movie (just hoping it won't be as embarassing as the first two) https://wegotthiscov...john-cena-eyed/

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

So is this going to be the sequel to Annihilation or yet another reboot? Not that it matters much at this point, I guess...

No please, not again.

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 09 April 2020 - 10:48 AM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Why are they bothering with another Doom movie? It's not like they are particularly known for making money.

View PostNightFright, on 09 April 2020 - 08:03 AM, said:

So is this going to be the sequel to Annihilation or yet another reboot? Not that it matters much at this point, I guess...

Reboot, definitly :

"the studio is planning on rebooting the movie series, with the next installment focusing on the events of the original game from 1993. The film won’t have any connections to any of the aforementioned outings, and while plot details are still scarce, we’ve been informed that one name the studio’s eyeing for the lead role is John Cena, who’ll soon be seen in the aforementioned F9."

When it comes to Anihilation, Bethesda/ID have disowned it in block !
Even if it seems works that the first one, it have one merit : at least he stayed faithfull to the plot of the games (hells, daemons,etc...)

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 09 April 2020 - 02:27 PM

User is offline   Sanek 

View PostRADAЯ, on 09 April 2020 - 11:21 AM, said:

Why are they bothering with another Doom movie? It's not like they are particularly known for making money.

Because Doom is a successful franchise. In a world where making original movies is considered a risk, movie studios will always try to make a movie based on a pre-existing franchise. And they keep making new Doom movies because of it. Becuse people know what Doom is.

Take Terminator franchise for example. Each movie since T3 flopped, but they keep making sequels based on how successful Terminator was 20 years ago and because it's still a cult franchise that everyone knows Same with Doom, a game that spawned 2 adaptations after releases of respective titles.

• The Truth is in here

Well, Annihilation ended with a kind of cliffhanger, and last thing I read was they were determined to make a sequel. However, given the fact it was rated so poorly, it was justified to doubt they would go through with it.

Just wondering what makes them think this needs yet another reboot. But well, look at the Spiderman franchise. Main difference: Even the worst Spidey movies were way better than any of the Doom movies. They really need to invest some serious bucks this time. Not again some low budget crap like Annihilation.

If they really had some balls, it would be a movie like the game, just one protagonist against the environment. Minimal monologues at best, mostly action. Tough to pull off in movie feature length, but it could be something different if they pull it off.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 10 April 2020 - 01:13 AM

But some are argueing that a Doom movie exclusively featuring the doomslayer slaughtering demons would be boring... but what about John Wick with Keanu Reeves then ?

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 10 April 2020 - 09:47 AM

• The Truth is in here

It's just laughable to end up with three movies all telling the exact same story. I wouldn't keep trying if nobody can come up with a compelling way to get it done.

View PostNightFright, on 10 April 2020 - 10:21 AM, said:

It's just laughable to end up with three movies all telling the exact same story. I wouldn't keep trying if nobody can come up with a compelling way to get it done.

Doom has a pretty simple story, but they somehow managed to fuck that up the first time, haven't watched Annihilation (and doubt i ever will) but doubt it's different, no doomguy? wtf?

View Postgemeaux333, on 10 April 2020 - 09:46 AM, said:

But some are argueing that a Doom movie exclusively featuring the doomslayer slaughtering demons would be boring... but what about John Wick with Keanu Reeves then ?

Isn't everything after the original Doom just doomguy going on a rampage because they killed Daisy? ;) It could work, if done right.

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 10 April 2020 - 11:30 AM

View PostLazy Dog, on 10 April 2020 - 11:16 AM, said:

Isn't everything after the original Doom just doomguy going on a rampage because they killed Daisy? ;) It could work, if done right.

The funny thing is, this is pretty much how the first two movies are ending, we all remember the daring attempt of the first one to reproduce the FPS perspective, this was how DOOM 3 should have been !

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 10 April 2020 - 12:07 PM

• The Truth is in here

Will we ever get to the Hell on Earth plot in the movies or are all of them going to end in cliffhangers, never to be concluded? Maybe it doesn't matter to anyone over at Universal, but that's not how you handle movie adaptations of a big franchise.

• Judge Mental

Doom has a pretty simple story, but they somehow managed to fuck that up the first time, haven't watched Annihilation (and doubt i ever will) but doubt it's different, no doomguy? wtf?

Doom Annihilation does a... A job... of telling the original games' story. It just does it in the most rudimentary, basic, plodding, cliche way imaginable.

UAC, send a guy through a teleporter, he comes back screaming. They lock him up. Meanwhile some marines show up at Phobos for reasons. The stand in for the Doomguy is the chick who made the shitty remark about not needing a Doomguy on Twitter. She's basically playing Doomguy though. Has his backstory, etc. Even though they have a dude in the movie who basically looks like Doomguy and carries a sawed off double barrel.

They go in the base, wander around, find bodies, some demon words on the wall, then zombies. More zombies. More zombies. Half the squad get's killed including Sarge who uses his boomstick once before getting fucked off. There's an aussie dude who keeps running away. There's Dr. Betruger, who is absolutely nothing like the guy in Doom 3, except he's called Dr. Betruger, and he's evil for some reason.(And when I say that, I mean it. They never make it clear why he's bananas in the movie. In Doom 3 there were at least implications in the PDA that Hell had touched his mind when he went through a teleporter experiment before the events of the game.)

They decide to fuck off back to the ship. Imps happen. When i say imps happen, I mean one imp at a time over and over. Because they had one suit and no imagination as to how you might have more than one on screen at a time.

The IMP is the only demon featured in Doom Annihilation other than a weird demon creature seen in the "Hell" sections at the end of the movie. Which is on screen for about 60 seconds.

Also I put "Hell" in quotations, because there are certain indications that Hell isn't really Hell, but some alien dimesnion that is Hell-ish. Again, they copped out. Instead of just straight up saying Hell, they had to muddie the waters, again.

everything after the original Doom just doomguy going on a rampage because they killed Daisy? ;) It could work, if done right.

Well, and what people fail to realize about a lot of the OG shooters is that what you're basically playing is the 3rd act of a story. All the backstory and the events leading up to your player character picking up a gun and shooting things, none of that is ever usually covered in game.

Well, I think there is some little misunderstandings about what I said before and wished to dissipate them :
-when I said that the first two movies are ending like the videogames, it was more to say that at these moments it just started to "feel like" it was faithfull to the videogames, but sure arrived after the battle every times
-when I compared the FPS sequence of the first movie to Doom 3, it was just to say that the final draft of Doom 3 should have been less survival horror and more FPS true to its roots

View PostCommando Nukem, on 11 April 2020 - 07:45 AM, said:

Well, and what people fail to realize about a lot of the OG shooters is that what you're basically playing is the 3rd act of a story. All the backstory and the events leading up to your player character picking up a gun and shooting things, none of that is ever usually covered in game.

Exactly, in the OG from 1993 the Doom guy was first a simple marine who turned against his superior because he refused to fire on civilians, was then sent to Mars to get the boredom treatment, and then was called back because of the incident, and was the only one to survive as he stayed outside while his borthers in arm were slaughtered, he decided to go fix the situation single-handledly and this is were/when the game truly began for the player ! (well, in a nutshell)

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 11 April 2020 - 11:52 AM

• Judge Mental

View Postgemeaux333, on 11 April 2020 - 11:27 AM, said:

Exactly, in the OG from 1993 the Doom guy was first a simple marine who turned against his superior because he refused to fire on civilians, was then sent to Mars to get the boredom treatment, and then was called back because of the incident, and was the only one to survive as he stayed outside while his borthers in arm were slaughtered, he decided to go fix the situation single-handledly and this is were/when the game truly began for the player ! (well, in a nutshell)

I think there is quite a lot you can do with that backstory. It's loose enough that it can be greatly expanded on.The writer of the original novels made the backstory very integral to the whole story. As the main character, Flynn Taggart, is going through the moon base he is recounting to himself the events of the past, his unit, the friends he made. The same friends he was now killing. One of my favs is Sergeant Goforth, who is mentioned briefly in the opening prologue, and then given a whole chapter of backstory with Arlene Sanders, setting up all the interrelationships of the unit and how ultimately none of the marines deserved the fate they were handed.

Which is why when people say Doom has no plot, or very little, I laugh. A few lines can be expanded into tomes if you're a good writer. There's no reason a Doom movie can't work. We have Aliens. We have Evil Dead. We have Night, Dawn, and Day of the Dead. We have Die Hard. These are all the movies that inspired the "culture" of Doom's story. sending it back down the creative pipe to turn it into a movie is not some grand impossibility.

On the contrary, I think if Doom was thick in story to begin with, that would make it incredibly hard to pull off as a movie. As there would be even more to fuck up. What does a Doom movie need? Demons, Hell, proper space marines, a outpost on Mars, or on Phobos, solid writing, memorable and likeable characters, and some well paced action and suspense.

User is offline   Fauch 

John Cena is an actor? Besides, you don't even need a muscular guy, since the doom guy is in armor anyway.

View PostFauch, on 11 April 2020 - 06:24 PM, said:

John Cena is an actor? Besides, you don't even need a muscular guy, since the doom guy is in armor anyway.

If it's based on classic Doom, then his biceps will be exposed. Muscles are important for that. And, since it's a movie, he might not even have the armor on in the beginning. Especially since they should cover why he's at the base, and then show the build up to the invasion. He'd probably wear a short sleeved shirt like in Doom 3.

FLynn Taggart is the true name of the Doom Slaver ? Well, it makes sense, it is after all a password to enter in Doom Eternal to be able to play Doom 2 on the computer in the Doomguy's room in the fortress of doom !

Don't be so sure, that's still one pretty nebulous spots of the lore and the wiki explain that the guy in the novels is just BASED on the games protagonist. Eternal itself cites Flynn Taggart only in form of an easter egg, probably it was chosen as password just because it was a famous name in DOOM franchise. For now it not like when it was already several clues that DOOM 2016 was a sequel and Dooguy and Doomslayer was the same person. Unless the title of one Taggart's books "Ret-Conned" is a subtle way of ID to say it is now officially his name but that's unlikely.

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 12 April 2020 - 10:23 AM

• The Truth is in here

They used that name in the Doom novels. They are not canon, but at least the first one in the series is an entertaining read and also tries to implement locations, items and monster encounters from the game. Sadly, the sequels fall utterly short and lose themselves in pointless character insights and musings without much of a real, interesting plot.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 13 April 2020 - 01:58 AM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

In the original Doom, the protagonist has no name. Also he was just a space marine, not a "Doom Slayer".

According to the creators, that's because YOU are the protagonist.

In an early draft, the character was named "Buddy Dacote". Dacote stands for "Dies at conclusion of this episode". Presumably there would have been more than one protagonist (note that in the prototypes the player face is not visible in the HUD).

Share this topic:

• 156 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options