• 156 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doom Corner  "for all Doom related discussion"

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

GZDoom dev builds now finally support widescreen menu graphics, something I've been waiting for in EDuke32 since ages, too. Here's what it will look like: https://forum.zdoom....hp?f=46&t=67843

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

User is offline   Malgon 

Edit: I'm guessing this contains references to recent trailers and such, so be aware that it may spoil things if you're avoiding all material up to Doom Eternal's release.

This post has been edited by Malgon: 17 March 2020 - 04:07 AM

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

Agreed with almost everything this guy points out:

Thought they'd fix some of this shit (this video is from 2018), but looks like they just made it worse. Gonna play Slayer's Testaments instead.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Some people are really rooting for this game to fail aren't they.

User is offline   Sanek 

Doom Ethernal:

> same gameplay
> more platforming
> confusing amount of upgrades/power-ups systems.
> SJW-era colors galore.

I have no trouble with jumping in Doom 2016, which feels pretty natural and it's kinda standard by now in most shooters. But looking at all the footage of Doom Ethernal with all the jumping, grappling hook and wall-climbing is enough for me to not buying this game.

• The Sarien Encounter

That's funny seeing as verticality in the level design was one of the big praises for Doom 2016 when it came out. I don't see anything wrong with doing more with it.

And what, prey tell, are "SJW-era colors?"

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 18 March 2020 - 05:58 AM

• Judge Mental

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 18 March 2020 - 05:57 AM, said:

And what, prey tell, are "SJW-era colors?"

...Yeah. What the Hell does that even mean? Just to pre-empt that, the game has already gone out of it's way to flip the finger at anything SJW anyway, so... What?

As to whether it'll be good or not... There are things about these "reboots" which I have not enjoyed from the beginning. Small, creative choices, that I don't care for. Like shedding all the horror entirely and turning DoomGuy into a demigod of sorts. HOWEVER, the games have been competently designed, Doom 16 is fun, it's very entertaining, and I wager Doom Eternal will be too. It's the same, but refined, and expanded.

User is offline   gemeaux333 

"Qu'est-ce qu'il faut pas entendre..."

User is offline   Sanek 

I mean all the custom skins that makes the game less serious, turns it into the circus fest:
Spoiler

User is offline   Northrawn 

If you are not intelligent enough to handle a bit of z-axis --- go play CoD. There you have NPCs and huge arrows floating in the rooms that tell you where you can slowly walk to win the game.

User is offline   Sanek 

I'm not saying that I'm against it, I'm saying that the whole jumping mechanics is overused in Doom Ethernal in comprasion to Doom 2016. It's FPS for god's sake, not Prince of Persia or Mario.

Additionally it is cool for sub mediocre people to dislike Doom Eternal, as that makes their subpar lives feel special for a few minutes and for some weird reasons.

• The Sarien Encounter

The skins are just fun. I think the unicorn one is hilarious. I love unlockable skins. Spiderman on PS4 was great.

Also, to disagree with Commando a little bit, I don't think horror was ever the biggest factor for the original Doom. There were creepy looking elements but it was all overshadowed by the "demigod" Doomguy who is brutally destroying all demons in his path with manmade weapons. Just like Doom 2016. Doom 2016 had plenty of horror elements. Just the sight alone of Earth in Eternal is horrific as well. The idea that Earth is basically dead and probably nothing has survived at first glance is pretty horrific to me. Now it's just about vengeance. I'm totally on board. Doom 3 was the only Doom game with heavy forefront horror elements. So much so that it held you back gameplay-wise so that you could be affected by them. Doom 1, 2, and 2016 didn't hold you back. I'd say it's a true return to form in the greatest sense.

And I'm okay with platforming and jumping.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 18 March 2020 - 05:22 PM

User is offline   HulkNukem 

I can understand the complaints about the platforming.
In '16 Doom it seemed natural. The bridge you need to cross has a bunch of holes in it so you use cranes or other platforms that would naturally be there to get across.
From what I've seen in Eternal, you have floating spinning flame sticks straight from Mario and giant 1UP powerups scattered around and it all looks garish and out of place.

That isn't to say its bad or anything but I see why someone would hate it.

• Judge Mental

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 18 March 2020 - 05:22 PM, said:

The skins are just fun. I think the unicorn one is hilarious. I love unlockable skins. Spiderman on PS4 was great.

Yep. My wife is going for the unicorn one because she loves unicorns, and she thinks its funny and badass.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 18 March 2020 - 05:22 PM, said:

Also, to disagree with Commando a little bit, I don't think horror was ever the biggest factor for the original Doom. There were creepy looking elements but it was all overshadowed by the "demigod" Doomguy who is brutally destroying all demons in his path with manmade weapons. Just like Doom 2016.

It was consciously part of the recipe. Everyone involved with the original Doom will tell you: mood, atmosphere, horror, and suspense were part of it. Doom unsettled me as much as it thrilled me when I played it back in the day. Both John and Adrian Carmack, Romero, Hall, have all gone on record that they wanted to scare the player as much as thrill them. The fear factor of the original games is what inspired Gabe Newell to co-found Valve and make Half-Life. The Playstation, Saturn, and N64 ports of the game all emphasized the horror even more. Doom 3 emphasized the horror. Horror is part of the Doom tapestry, and it has been completely removed from the equation in Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal. For those two games, it was the right choice, but with the amount of stuff creatively pulled away in that regard they could make an entire new game out of it.

Doomguy was not a demigod in the original game. He was just some jackass space marine who was in the right place at the right time, primarily due to his strong moral convinctions, and happened to prove himself in the battles that followed. He didn't really even get into the super natural aspects of his being until the end of Episode 1, and didn't really start showing signs of being the demigod until Doom 64 when he decided it was better to remain in Hell.

• banned!

Moar:

https://www.wired.co...eternal-review/

"like riding a bunch of roller coasters in a row until you can't really tell one apart from another"

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

They wanted to make a shooter/platformer and they did. I respect that they made the game they wanted to instead of doing the safe thing which would have been making a new level pack for Doom 2016 with a few new enemies. I agree that they shouldn't have made Doomguy thicker, especially if he's doing prince of Persia moves now, but that's a pretty minor criticism. For every person who is skeptical of the platforming, I've heard from half a dozen who say it's great. I'm in no hurry to buy it though, I've got other things to do.

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostCommando Nukem, on 18 March 2020 - 05:51 PM, said:

Horror...has been completely removed from the equation in Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal.

This I disagree with, but I respect your opinion.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Maybe Doom 3 had more horror, but eventually it also got predictable. The game is locking you in a dark area, you take out the flashlight --> zombies appear. Or it's spawning enemies in your back. Eventually it just sucks. Doom 2016 was certainly raising your adrenaline level, but rather because it wanted you to keep moving, which is a good thing. Now they seem to go even one step further by taking away your pistol, so there's no fallback option in case you run out of ammo. If I understood correctly, the game will spawn trash mobs for you to kill easily if your ammo is low. I still need to see this while I am playing it, but the approach seems to be right. In general I am looking forward to Eternal, even though the first official PC release of Doom 64 kinda steals the show.

View PostNightFright, on 19 March 2020 - 06:19 AM, said:

Maybe Doom 3 had more horror ...

Yes, the repetitive, tiresome and predictable boredom was horrible.

View PostNightFright, on 19 March 2020 - 06:19 AM, said:

Maybe Doom 3 had more horror ...

Yes, the repetitive, tiresome and predictable boredom was horrible.

I hope I can stand Doom Eternal ... it seems to have more vertical action than Wolf 3D ... and that seems too much for all then oldschool gamers. ;)

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Maybe I'm biased because he's reviewed some Duke mods, but this is a good review from GmanLives:

• banned!

View PostSanek, on 18 March 2020 - 12:09 PM, said:

I'm not saying that I'm against it, I'm saying that the whole jumping mechanics is overused in Doom Ethernal in comprasion to Doom 2016. It's FPS for god's sake, not Prince of Persia or Mario.

Hahaha. This is awesome, man. Thanks for sharing.

User is offline   Fauch 

Something funny is it looks like you need to double jump + dash to cross almost every single gap. Like isn't it the point where simply having a longer jump would make more sense?

Looking forward to getting my mitts on this game tonight. Long live classically influenced FPS madness!

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 19 March 2020 - 06:29 PM

User is offline   HulkNukem 

After playing just the first level of this new version of Doom 64, I can already tell differences between Doom 64 EX and the new one isn't as good.

I played and beat EX for the umpteenth time just a couple months ago and the small issues I've found I never came across and I would've noticed. I also wish the new episode was unlocked from the start :/

You also have to sit through FIVE UNSKIPPABLE splash screens whenever you launch it. Luckily the video files are in the install folder and if you delete them, you never have to see them again.

Oh well, onto Eternal!

*edit*

First impressions of Doom Eternal are that its fucking fast and hard. Very fast. Could very well be that I've been mostly playing Hunt: Showdown which is a very slow game, but man this game is fast. They throw quite a bit at you almost immediately and its challenging (playing on Ultra Violence).

They changed the way the chainsaw works which I think is for the better. You no longer equip it and instead its a quick use item. If you run out of gas for it, it will recharge a single usage which can't be used on large enemies but can be used on the smaller fodder.

Things like weapons and items are now floating, spinning, and have bright colored outlines on them. Its a bit much.

As for the first level itself

Spoiler

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 19 March 2020 - 09:36 PM

User is offline   Malgon 

Installing now through the Bethesda.net Launcher and it says less than two hours to download 38.62GB (smaller than the storage requirement they listed), at the normal download speed I usually get. I'm guessing most bought it on Steam instead, which I'm sure would slow down the speed.

• banned!

View PostFauch, on 19 March 2020 - 05:15 PM, said:

Something funny is it looks like you need to double jump + dash to cross almost every single gap. Like isn't it the point where simply having a longer jump would make more sense?

Yeah, I've also argued this before. Why not just make the overall movement speed faster, instead of having these gimmicks to get around the fact that old school Doom was just an overall faster game. Slayer's Testaments is the best of both worlds because you've got the Quake style running/jumping, with all the cool stuff from Doom 2016/Eternal.

User is offline   axl 

View PostHulkNukem, on 19 March 2020 - 08:26 PM, said:

After playing just the first level of this new version of Doom 64, I can already tell differences between Doom 64 EX and the new one isn't as good.

Hmmm, I'm afraid I have to agree. Some issues:

- unskippable intros (but you can delete them)
- no vertical mouselook (I understand that they were going for authenticity, but it would be nice if it would have been optional like in Doom 64 EX)
- no ingame stats
- no crosshair

The game however runs very fluently, but then again so does Doom 64 EX. Haven't reached the new chapter yet, so I can't comment on that.

This post has been edited by axl: 20 March 2020 - 12:01 AM

Share this topic:

• 156 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options