Duke4.net Forums: Doom Corner - Duke4.net Forums

• 156 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doom Corner  "for all Doom related discussion"

User is offline   Malgon 

The soundtrack to Doom is getting a physical release a bit later in the year in vinyl and CD through Laced Records for those interested. Price for this is €90.00 (not including shipping) for the Special Limited Edition:

*** THE 'SPECIAL LIMITED EDITION X4LP' (X4 RED VINYL/CUSTOM SLIPMAT/DOUBLE CD BUNDLE) IS ONLY AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER FOR A LIMITED TIME OF 2 WEEKS ONLY. ALL PRE-ORDERS WILL CLOSE AT MIDNIGHT (UK TIME) ON 2ND MAY 2018. AFTER THIS DATE ONLY THE 'SPECIAL EDITION X4LP' (X4 BLACK VINYL), 'DOUBLE VINYL' & 'DOUBLE CD' WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE AS STANDALONE PRODUCTS ***

Posted Image
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Malgon: 19 April 2018 - 02:35 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

The simple double CD trifold release is only €14.00. That's the one I'll be getting. Nice to finally have it in a lossless format!! (well, these mixes anyway. the game rips are lossless)

User is offline   Malgon 

It'd be great if all the game soundtracks Mick Gordon has worked on were on his Bandcamp, as there are many people who want lossless versions. I know the decision would not be his to make of course, as the developers would have ownership of it and would control how it is distributed. It's unfortunate imo, as there are quite a lot of soundtracks from well known artists for both big name studios and indies on there, so clearly there is good exposure for all parties involved. Maybe someday it will happen.

This post has been edited by Malgon: 19 April 2018 - 06:39 AM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostZaxx, on 15 April 2018 - 09:26 PM, said:

what Trooper Dan envisions is certainly not possible in the scale of a fanmade mod.

It totally is. It would be a large volume of work, but it is entirely doable.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

The new God of War has some really good Doom inspired reverse cover art and someone combined them:
Posted Image

• The Sarien Encounter

Hah that's awesome.

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

i want that in my house

User is offline   gemeaux333 

https://twitter.com/...&tfw_site=JVCom

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I hope this movie captures the atmosphere of the games at least a bit compared to the first attempt that almost had nothing in common with the franchise except for its title, some char name references and the fact it had a BFG.

The movie is also not supposed to make it into cinemas, rather likely Netflix or direct publishing.

Let's hope it actually includes demons this time. I'd consider that a victory.

It is strange that practically no one has pointed out how the Hell Knight of the 2005 movie and the one of DOOM 4 have much in common. Or at least a sort of intermediate phase between DOOM 3 Hell Knight and DOOM 4 Hell Knight.

• Judge Mental

Maybe if you're talking the general sillohette of the creatures, sure, but the detail is drastically different. The Doom 3 and Doom 4 Hellknight share some similarities, but the Doom Movie Hellknight is basically just flayed and rotting flesh. The Doom 3 Hellknight has an armory hide that has thick haunchy bones.The creature in Doom 4 takes that look and exagerates it even more, with the semi-exposed cranial cap. But yeah, the Doom Movie HK is little more a muscular bag of rotting meat. It actually looks rather ridiculous when taken out of the context of the film. The design is not one of SWS best.

User is offline   gemeaux333 

THe movie of 2005 simply missed the point : DOOM is about daemons comming from the hell dimension threw portals, not about the 38th chromosome...

• The Sarien Encounter

Hollywood kept trying to do that. Like they figured a game story wouldn't work in a movie so they have to change it but keep the "spirit" of it. And it just turns out that the "spirit" of it is not kept at all. It's a violent story that takes place on Mars that involves good and evil. That's about the end of the similarities. Was so disappointed with that. Doom 2016 would have made a fantastic movie with its plot.

In fairness, I do remember hearing that they wanted to have demons in the original movie, but the producers were Evangelicals and forced them to take them out.

I can't source this, this is just what I heard.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 23 April 2018 - 11:12 AM, said:

Hollywood kept trying to do that. Like they figured a game story wouldn't work in a movie so they have to change it but keep the "spirit" of it. And it just turns out that the "spirit" of it is not kept at all. It's a violent story that takes place on Mars that involves good and evil. That's about the end of the similarities. Was so disappointed with that. Doom 2016 would have made a fantastic movie with its plot.

Well they're not entirely wrong. At the time of the release, all they had to go off of was either Doom 3 or the originals. And the originals didn't have much of a story: Guy kills demons, guy goes to Hell, to be continued on the next episode of Demon Guts Z. It's difficult to make a feature film out of that.

To give them some credit, they did have a few good ideas. I liked how they handled Sarge, and slowly turned him into the "final boss" as it were. The first person sequence was amazing, and I'll admit I actually kinda liked the more compact BFG design. It may not be so much "B" anymore, but it still is an "FG" as it melts the wall, something you couldn't get in any of the games.

• The Truth is in here

Did anyone read the novels? Especially the first one was pretty decently done. You could even recognize some of the levels. Artifacts like the Soul Sphere and Automap were featured as well as the monsters and bosses. I wished the new movie was more like that, even though it's difficult to write a script with just one character (a second one was introduced towards the end).

• The Sarien Encounter

Hold up.

The producers.....for the DOOM movie....in HOLLYWOOD....were....evangelicals?

I thought the first person sequence was all kinds of cringe.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 23 April 2018 - 12:59 PM

View PostNightFright, on 23 April 2018 - 12:43 PM, said:

Did anyone read the novels? Especially the first one was pretty decently done. You could even recognize some of the levels. Artifacts like the Soul Sphere and Automap were featured as well as the monsters and bosses. I wished the new movie was more like that, even though it's difficult to write a script with just one character (a second one was introduced towards the end).

I did once, like many many years ago.

It got real weird near the end, though.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 23 April 2018 - 12:57 PM, said:

Hold up.

The producers.....for the DOOM movie....in HOLLYWOOD....were....evangelicals?

Like I said, I cannot source this, but this is what I heard. And it does sound plausible. People act really bizarre around Doom.

• Judge Mental

View PostNightFright, on 23 April 2018 - 12:43 PM, said:

I have an original printing of the first Doom novel. Yours Truly find's it entertaining enough. Posted Image

View PostNinety-Six, on 23 April 2018 - 01:05 PM, said:

Like I said, I cannot source this, but this is what I heard. And it does sound plausible. People act really bizarre around Doom.

No validity to that. It was a rumor.

The writer David Callahan never wrote Hell sequences because it was deemed too expensive. He basically said there was, and i'm nearly quoting him here 'no chance they could live up to the Doom 3 experience' and so he never even tried, basically. This, more than anything, is why they went with mutants. If there was any truth to the idea that they actively chose not to do Hell for religious reasons it would have been fear of religious back lash, but it was not because of any internally held beliefs by producers. Not that I've ever been able to dig up.

You gotta remember Doom only had 40 million to work with. To save costs they basically found a way to double the set usage. If you watch closely during the FPS sequence you can spot every single one of the sets in that sequence is reused from the Mars locations with different lighting. (They made Mars incredibly, stupidly, dark for this very reason.)

In the late 90s they were planning a Doom film that would have been on par with Starship Troopers, with a 100 million dollar budget. It was going to be produced at Tristar with a PG-13 rating. Initial ideas were to make the story surrounding the events on Phobos, but they ultimately went with a more Independence Day style story about monsters ( "Aliens" or "Demons" ) attacking the Earth from under ground.

At one point Tom Berenger, Sergeant Barnes from Platoon, was actually seeking to play the main marine. He was apparently a big fan of the game. I think that would have been so fucking cool.

A guy named Vincent J Guastini actually had Doom concept art and maquettes made up.
https://web.archive....om:80/doom.html

The models he built did at one point end up on Ebay or something.

The stuff about monsters coming up from the ground and the rating came from old magazines that came out between 1997 and 1999.

Then Colubine happened, the studio got cold feet, and the project went from being the next big thing to fading away for years, until Doom 3 came out and made a ton of money.

Well, at least that's been cleared up.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Oh my, looks like something will be announced at E3:
https://gadgets.ndtv...e3-2018-1836254
If we get Ion Maiden, Serious Sam 4 and Doom 5 this year then we'll have a LOT of FPS to play. :P I don't think it's realistic to expect Doom 5 in 2018 though, my guess is that it will only be an announcement.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 23 April 2018 - 08:47 PM

• The Truth is in here

I am currently playing Dusk and like it quite a bit. Amid Evil may be next. If another Doom is coming, I am definitely in, too.

Was a bit disappointed they didn't make any official SP DLC for the last one. Did the community come up with anything really good using that rather basic editor id provided?

SnapMap actually got really good in the months after it came out. Custom geometry using player blocking volumes became such a thing that even some official levels started doing it.

There was one really good custom campaign in particular but I can't remember what it was called. There were a few of them, to be fair. Really good full to near-full campaigns.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 23 April 2018 - 09:18 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

It was really bare bones in the beginning. I need to give the Snapmap repository another look see. Once I get internet at home again (just moved).

Looks like there could be a Doom movie coming out soon. Sadly it seems to be a direct-to-video or digital, but if it's good that's all I care about.

Here's a link to the article talking about it: http://www.ign.com/a...-in-development

• Judge Mental

View PostNever Forgotten, on 24 April 2018 - 03:38 PM, said:

Looks like there could be a Doom movie coming out soon. Sadly it seems to be a direct-to-video or digital, but if it's good that's all I care about.

Here's a link to the article talking about it: http://www.ign.com/a...-in-development

Yeah, we've been discussing it up thread. Posted Image

Ugh, I looked through and didn't see it...

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Posted Image

User is offline   leilei 

View PostFox, on 26 April 2018 - 06:08 AM, said:

....credit to AndroidArts who drew a bunch of these for other computer games

This post has been edited by leilei: 26 April 2018 - 08:34 PM

• Judge Mental

The new Doom Movie will apparently have a female lead.

*sigh* They can't just leave shit alone, can they?

Share this topic:

• 156 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options