Duke4.net Forums: Doom Corner - Duke4.net Forums

• 156 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doom Corner  "for all Doom related discussion"

View PostCommando Nukem, on 27 April 2018 - 10:59 PM, said:

The new Doom Movie will apparently have a female lead.

*sigh* They can't just leave shit alone, can they?

I'm hoping, and this is just hope not an assumption/expectation, that this Doom movie is going to be something like Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn, where the game's protagonist isn't in it much, and it focuses on the side characters keeping the hero at a minimal, that way they can gauge how fans and critics react to the movie's style/writing before they launch into a big budget theatrical movie focusing on good ole Doomboy.

User is offline   xMobilemux 

I'd be down with a bunch of marines heading into hell and getting their asses handed to them and then the leading lady finds the imprisoned Doomslayer and unleashes him on the hordes of hell.

But this is modern Hollywood, I don't expect much.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostNever Forgotten, on 27 April 2018 - 11:21 PM, said:

I'm hoping, and this is just hope not an assumption/expectation, that this Doom movie is going to be something like Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn, where the game's protagonist isn't in it much, and it focuses on the side characters keeping the hero at a minimal, that way they can gauge how fans and critics react to the movie's style/writing before they launch into a big budget theatrical movie focusing on good ole Doomboy.

...No. That makes no sense.

You don't make a Duke Nukem movie where you follow EDF soldier 32525. You don't make a Doom movie following some goddamn Randie Jane.

It's just more Hollywood bullshit, and people are going to continue to delude themselves into thinking this has some wisdom behind it. It doesn't.

View PostCommando Nukem, on 28 April 2018 - 12:21 AM, said:

You don't make a Duke Nukem movie where you follow EDF soldier 32525. You don't make a Doom movie following some goddamn Randie Jane.

It's just more Hollywood bullshit, and people are going to continue to delude themselves into thinking this has some wisdom behind it. It doesn't.

But this is going to be a Netflix type movie, so it doesn't have to follow the norms of Hollywood. The Doom movie that got everything wrong, got Doomguy right, I don't think they're going to change that this time around. I think this might just be a marine's story during the invasion of Hell, leading to the Doomguy.... or rather hoping it is....

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostCommando Nukem, on 28 April 2018 - 12:21 AM, said:

Relax, it's not a big deal. People didn't complain when they made the Tomb Raider movie with a male version of Lara Croft.

Posted Image

User is online   X-Vector 

Posted Image

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

because why would we want a movie based on an existing franchise to feature the series' central protagonist

that's just dumb

come on you guys its 2018

User is offline   ---- 

View PostX-Vector, on 28 April 2018 - 03:57 AM, said:

Posted Image

This, exactly.

Big or even huge movies had female leads and tough women. Hell, even Pricess Leia was important as role model for women in the late 70s. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.
And I have completely other issues with for example the Last Jedi thanf the many female leads.

But ... it isn't necessary to turn some franchises around just to have a genderswapped hero(ine)... although ... when I think about it ... Dolph Lundgren as Wonder Woman could be fine.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 28 April 2018 - 04:06 AM

View Postfuegerstef, on 28 April 2018 - 04:06 AM, said:

But ... it isn't necessary to turn some franchises around just to have a genderswapped hero(ine)...

This is the big issue, at least with me. I don't have problems with "Strong female leads" when they're not overwriting someone else.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 28 April 2018 - 04:20 AM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostX-Vector, on 28 April 2018 - 03:57 AM, said:

Posted Image

View Postfuegerstef, on 28 April 2018 - 04:06 AM, said:

This, exactly.

Big or even huge movies had female leads and tough women. Hell, even Pricess Leia was important as role model for women in the late 70s. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.
And I have completely other issues with for example the Last Jedi thanf the many female leads.

But ... it isn't necessary to turn some franchises around just to have a genderswapped hero(ine)... although ... when I think about it ... Dolph Lundgren as Wonder Woman could be fine.

What does Ellen Ripley or having female action heroes have to do with DOOM? Doom has always, always, ALWAYS featured a male lead, and he's always been depicted as a strong masculine old-school personality. If you can't see the middle finger being rubbed in your face then there's no hope for you. This is dumb. This is super dumb.

I hope it's just a crossdressing Karl Urban.

User is offline   Jblade 

https://5years.doomw...section06.shtml

If they pull from the Doom bible (which I don't believe they will for a second) than this could actually be pretty interesting. Anyways Doom was conceived as having female characters from the start so I don't really understand the problem.

View PostJblade, on 28 April 2018 - 11:59 AM, said:

https://5years.doomw...section06.shtml

If they pull from the Doom bible (which I don't believe they will for a second) than this could actually be pretty interesting. Anyways Doom was conceived as having female characters from the start so I don't really understand the problem.

It was also conceived of having completely different characters entirely. But none of them were the character we actually got.

Those characters don't exist, is the problem. Just because they were "conceived" doesn't justify using them if they never actually came to pass. That's like saying if a Half-Life movie ever gets made they're justified in not giving Gordon the HEV Suit because they conceived of not using it in HL2.

User is offline   xMobilemux 

The Doomslayer wouldn't make much of a main lead in a Doom movie anyway as he never has any dialog and in the game he talks through his body language which works very well in the game, don't think it would in the movie.

But a plot in which a group of marines get stuck in Hell being picked off one by one until only one remains and then she discovers the Doomslayer and unleashes him on the demon hordes making for a awesome climatic massacre.

That's something I'd be ok with.

But if the female lead is the Doomslayer then the movie is dead on arrival.

View PostxMobilemux, on 28 April 2018 - 05:48 PM, said:

The Doomslayer wouldn't make much of a main lead in a Doom movie anyway as he never has any dialog and in the game he talks through his body language which works very well in the game, don't think it would in the movie.

But a plot in which a group of marines get stuck in Hell being picked off one by one until only one remains and then she discovers the Doomslayer and unleashes him on the demon hordes making for a awesome climatic massacre.

That's something I'd be ok with.

But if the female lead is the Doomslayer then the movie is dead on arrival.

Pretty much this. If she's the lead in a plot that's a "side-story" (for lack of better term) like that, then we're good. If she's supposed to the stand-in for Doomguy/Slayer then this movie can go back to the Hell it's trying to crawl from.

User is offline   ---- 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 28 April 2018 - 09:26 AM, said:

What does Ellen Ripley or having female action heroes have to do with DOOM?

I think you misunderstood me. I am totally against a female lead in DooM (at least as Doomguy. No problem with a lead scientist or so). That's why I said "This, exactly", because Ripley is a fine example that there are other franchises where women are in charge of killing nasties on another planet.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 28 April 2018 - 11:42 PM

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

It seems it's official that the lead in the new movie will be female. Not sure how I feel about that. Imagine LOTR movie with Rosie as the ringbearer instead of Frodo. Some things just aren't meant to be.

I am not against (badass) women in (badass) movies, but if it's about a franchise I grew up with and about which I know how it's supposed to play out story-wise, some parameters are simply carved in stone.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 30 April 2018 - 10:33 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I'm not against "strong female leads" either when they're their own characters, but I don't like the idea of being manipulated to be forced to enjoy something due to the fact that I will be shamed for being sexist if I don't just because they hijacked a franchise I love and threw a woman in there instead "Well, if you're not sexist you'll enjoy it as if it was a male lead!" Yeah, no thanks. It's obvious what they're doing and I'm perfectly happy not seeing it. Not because I'm sexist but because I don't like being manipulated. If they somehow make a working formula with this they're going to fundamentally change what Doom is to do it anyway. Either that or it won't be believable. There's no winning here.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 30 April 2018 - 10:51 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Here's the thing: Doom guy is a guy so if you want to make an adaptation that is about Doom guy then your lead should be a male and stating that is not sexist at all. Because of this a movie that wants to follow the concept of the game already starts from a bad place but I have a bit of hope that maybe they want to do something interesting, something different that could still be Doom.

For example a female lead is perfect for a horror movie: the horror genre loves to use women as its lead characters because with them it's easier to transfer strong emotions like fear and helplessness to the audience. The "last girl" trope may be a trope but it works.

Now since the news about a new, low-budget Doom movie came out I was thinking on how could that work and actually it could work wonderfully. After putting some thought into it if it was up to me to make a Doom movie I sure as shit wouldn't follow the 2016 game's story structure but I'd use its world as a playground for a new sci-fi horror story. How? For starters I think that Doom guy should be in the movie but he clearly doesn't work as a protagonist: he's this mute, badass, inhumanly powerful "creature", if you think about how he's portrayed in Doom 2016 he's like Jason Voorhees, he is not your usual space marine.

So for example let's say that the story is about a group of people working at UAC's Mars facility, they are basically new initiates for the satanist cult but they are not exactly aware of how UAC operates. They are new, lower level initiates so they know stuff and their satanist belief system is somewhat developed but they are not the ones who get sacrificed and turned into revenants and whatnot. So these people are working there, you learn a bit about them during the exposition scenes of the first act and then all Hell breaks lose, demons start destroying the facility, Olivia Pierce goes crazy and our characters' belief system gets challenged. The demons are killing everyone so they have to get out and one of them (maybe they meet a high level excutive of UAC who wants out? He could be the "Burke" of the movie :P) knows about this sarcophagus the UAC recovered on one of their expeditions to Hell. Other cult members say that there is a guy inside and runes around the dig site tell these crazy stories about how he could single handedly stop a full invasion hundreds of years ago. So the objective is clear: getting to the sarcophagus and letting Doom guy loose to stop the demons.

For a movie like this I think I'd choose a female lead.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 30 April 2018 - 11:42 AM

Jean-Paul LeBreton, most know for the involvement in the BioShock series and his role of lead-designer for The Cave, is developing "Mr.Friendly" a pacific mod where you impersonate a Guardian Demon with the task of improve the demons life.

Site, Download and Development log: https://jp.itch.io/mr-friendly
Jean-Paul LeBreton YT channel: https://www.youtube....WZzdiMCnjJe6pyQ

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Btw. LeBreton made a great little Doom map back in 2010 called Arcadia Demade:
https://www.doomworl...rts/a-c/arcadia
What makes this interesting is that he was the level designer for BioShock's original Arcadia map too.

I'd heard about that.

It's always fascinating when full-time game devs go and make a mod/level. (and of course as is the reverse, seeing modders become full time level designers. The Doom Web is insane when looked at as one whole)

• Honored Donor

It's kind of like Ghostbusters all over again. They completely replace the men with women as a gimmick in lieu of quality scriptwriting, and they have the new version replace the beloved original. Replace isn't quite the right word but I'm sure the concept is communicated.

Having female leads can be a great way to breath new life into an old franchise. Hopefully they pull it off with Doctor Who, and with Oceans 8. Of course those are a continuation and spin-off respectively that make sense within the context of the story. However this doesn't really apply here since they haven't yet done justice to the games the first time yet.

User is offline   leilei 

JP also made a walking simulatortourism mod for Quake. Unsurprisingly it was way too high concept for the community to grasp the point to get it (even JP was assumed to be a "kid" lol).

This post has been edited by leilei: 01 May 2018 - 03:23 PM

User is offline   TURBOKID 

Negativity over a female lead is making me sad about my project :P
What you guys think of this?

Attached Image: DooMCabMenu.png

User is offline   Loke 

User is offline   TURBOKID 

Getting there, my vision slowly comes to life :(

Attached Image: 01CrashFPS03.png

This post has been edited by TURBOKID: 13 May 2018 - 02:06 AM

• Honored Donor

Interesting style. What engine are you running it on?

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Team Future have dropped a gameplay vid of their Doom 3 mod. This has been in production for about as long as Duke Nukem Forever. Hopefully with better results!

User is offline   Malgon 

Share this topic:

• 156 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options