• 21 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Future of 3D Realms - Fan Feedback!

User is offline   Yause 

View PostDustFalcon85, on 03 March 2014 - 11:54 AM, said:

I've heard in the news atricles that Commander Keen is getting a revival. Is this true? If so once again; have Interceptor & 3D Realms re-hire Tom Hall and buy the rights to Commander Keen from Id Software/Zenimax. And make the Keen source codes under GPL.

No. Some overzealous game journalists mention their memories of Commander Keen because Apogee = Keen to them.

A few months ago, Tom Hall tried to Kickstart some kind of spiritual successor, but it attracted little attention.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostAlithinos, on 03 March 2014 - 12:09 PM, said:

Some of the best franchises 3D Realms once had have already been sold. Duke Nukem,Prey,and Wolfenstein comes to my mind.

Uh 3DR never owned Wolfenstein.... ever.

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 03 March 2014 - 12:46 PM

User is offline   Alithinos 

View PostReaperMan, on 03 March 2014 - 12:46 PM, said:

Uh 3DR never owned Wolfenstein.... ever.

Well they published the first game. Who knows ? I though perhaps they could still sell things named "Wolfenstein 3D"
Reality is liquid after all.

User is offline   Lunick 

Please don't tell me you think 3D Realms still has the rights to publish Wolf 3D.

Publishing is completely different from owning the rights to the game.

Edit: i believe its only to the mail order Apogee release Lunick.

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 03 March 2014 - 12:58 PM

User is offline   NY00123 

Wolfenstein 3D, along with Commander Keen 1-5, have also been available in downloadable forms from 3DR's online store for several years.

View PostAlithinos, on 03 March 2014 - 12:09 PM, said:

The bad thing is you guys came late. :blink:
Some of the best franchises 3D Realms once had have already been sold. Duke Nukem,Prey,and Wolfenstein comes to my mind.
There are still many franchises 3D Realms have but those where mostly 3rd person action platformers,not FPSs.
I don't know.

A remake of Wolfenstein 3D would be nice,but I don't know what's with the licenses if 3D Realms still is allowed to publish and sell a game with that name or if all have gone to Bethesda.

Wolfenstein was never an Apogee IP.
The series existed long before id Software developed Wolf 3D... and even then, id owned it. Apogee only published the game.

User is offline   Bloodshot 

http://www.rockpaper...oxduke-lawsuit/

what is going on

View PostBloodshot, on 03 March 2014 - 01:46 PM, said:

From the article in the end:

Look for the rest of our interview with Interceptor – which includes the Rise of the Triad developer's publishing plans and overwhelming desire to acquire the Blood IP – very, very soon.

Hoping for a Blood revival. *Crosses Fingers*

How much does the Blood IP cost? Dev Devolver Digital's tweet didn't say. In the millions?

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 03 March 2014 - 01:54 PM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

I don't know much about IP costs, but I doubt the rights for a two decade old somewhat obscure game would cost millions.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Jesus, I'd rather let Jace Hall get the Blood IP and do his retarded closed source port than let Interceptor touch it.

User is offline   Alithinos 

Ok,ok I got it,3DR just published a Wolf game once and never had any license except from publishing one game.
I just had some wishful thinking. Can't a man just dream and wish ?

My fellow Duke fans,I'm also a Wolfenstein fan. And Wolfenstein is a series that had almost similar treatment as Duke had,in that we had been waiting a new game for the series quite long (about 6-7 years) and when we finally got a new game it was another piece of crap sellout kind of game that tried to mimic the "modern military shooters" with iron sights,health regeneration etc.

Now of course at least for Wolf we know that there is a new game in the making,but unfortunately this new game seems to lack the horror/thriller kind of feeling and atmosphere RTCW had and instead it's like you are watching a typical Marvel Superhero kind of story.
I liked Wolf more like F.E.A.R. with Nazis than Marvel style badass hero against Nazis.

Anyway,please excuse my Wolf3d outburst,but you see these old shooters like Duke 3D,Wolf 3D,Doom had some kind of magic that seems to be missing from modern shooters,and the feeling across fans of these games is often the same.
And Interceptor,along with Croteam seem to be the only dev teams currently that understand and realize this kind of 'magic' and that there are people who liked the kind of experiences these games offered.
So since this is a thread made by an Interceptor guy I just felt like sharing my thoughts that I wish I could see more games having that 'old school' shooter gameplay formula and feeling.
I personally bought ROTT and with the exception of some minor rough edges that could be more polished,found it a quite funny and interesting game.
Anyway.

This post has been edited by Alithinos: 03 March 2014 - 02:27 PM

View PostDustFalcon85, on 03 March 2014 - 01:52 PM, said:

Hoping for a Blood revival. *Crosses Fingers*

How much does the Blood IP cost? Dev Devolver Digital's tweet didn't say. In the millions?

Devolver Digital already attempted to purchase the Blood IP from Warner Bros so that Flying Wild Hog to give that series a reboot.
But stated the IP was "Way too expensive."...

And really, maybe they should focus on what they have instead of trying to get more and more. As it is they are over-reaching stretching themselves far too thin.

Personally, as much as I love Blood... I'd rather see it continue to sit and gather dust.

User is offline   xMobilemux 

If Interceptor/3DR green lights a Shadow Warrior sequel and I sure hope they do, then go with an older Lo Wang, the young Lo Wang was fine but I'd prefer we go with an older Lo Wang.
Also something Interceptor/3D Realms has to press on FWH too is while the gameplay was good, it was still just horde mode with a story, "Kill waves of enemies, move to next point, Repeat". Try to force FWH to go for that maze level design of old school shooters, otherwise we're just gonna get another Story Driven horde mode.

I also want more Duke games, but I'd rather see Duke stay out of the AAA market, if anything the AAA market is a franchise killer these days, everything has to be streamlined to get a bigger audience and that ruins all potential said franchises have.

User is offline   Lunick 

If Devolver couldn't get Blood, what makes Interceptor think they can get it? :blink:

View PostxMobilemux, on 03 March 2014 - 04:24 PM, said:

If Interceptor/3DR green lights a Shadow Warrior sequel and I sure hope they do, then go with an older Lo Wang, the young Lo Wang was fine but I'd prefer we go with an older Lo Wang.
Also something Interceptor/3D Realms has to press on FWH too is while the gameplay was good, it was still just horde mode with a story, "Kill waves of enemies, move to next point, Repeat". Try to force FWH to go for that maze level design of old school shooters, otherwise we're just gonna get another Story Driven horde mode.

Personally, I like how FWH handled Lo Wang in Shadow Warrior. Yes, he was younger... but it worked in the stories favor. Showing actual change in him throughout the story.
That coupled with a surprisingly strong story and solid combat... SW was (next to Call of Juarez: Gunslinger) the best shooter I played last year.
If FWH get the chance to do the sequel they want to do... I trust them to make the right calls in character, story and style.

I also want more Duke games, but I'd rather see Duke stay out of the AAA market, if anything the AAA market is a franchise killer these days, everything has to be streamlined to get a bigger audience and that ruins all potential said franchises have.

More Duke is entirely up to GBX.
There's definitely the chance of them doing third party Duke games with other developers, but... the games have to be licensed. :blink:
And, GBX is working on their own Duke game. It's in early planning stages (very early)... and unlike 3DR's mistake with DNF, GBX won't announce this until it's ready.

[quote name='Lunick]If Devolver couldn't get Blood' date=' what makes Interceptor think they can get it? :blink: [/quote']

Well, the thing most people are missing... is that Interceptor doesn't own 3DR. SDN Invest does.
SDN Invest is a hedge fund company. And, bottom line their goal is to make back whatever money they invested. At whatever means.

User is offline   Mia Max 

View PostFrederik Schreiber, on 02 March 2014 - 02:29 PM, said:

Hi Guys!

As you might already know, the investment group behind Interceptor has acquired 3D Realms.
In relation to that, I would love to hear some feedback from you guys!

We are very excited about the acquisition, and we would love the input of the fans moving forward.

What would you like to see from 3D Realms in the future? Both in relation to games, strategy, the forums and the legacy. :blink:

Pay and support the eduke32 team, so we will get a polished eduke32 with good performance soon, sell it on steam and the mod/mapers-community here will help to keep it alive :blink:

User is offline   xMobilemux 

View PostDamien_Azreal, on 03 March 2014 - 05:52 PM, said:

a surprisingly strong story and solid combat..

That and then some why I consider it the best reboot I've ever played, SW is the only reboot I've played that took steps forward rather than dozens of steps back like every single reboot on the market today.
However I still want them to continue taking more steps forward, having maze like level design with perfectly placed enemies combined with the well done sword play will be much better than them simply reusing the fighting horde after horde of enemies in a Serious Sam fashion.

More Duke is entirely up to GBX.
There's definitely the chance of them doing third party Duke games with other developers, but... the games have to be licensed. :blink:
And, GBX is working on their own Duke game. It's in early planning stages (very early)... and unlike 3DR's mistake with DNF, GBX won't announce this until it's ready.

I don't doubt they're making a Duke game, I just don't think it'll stand up in the AAA market which is ruining franchises faster than making new ones.
Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Dead Space, Sim City, Splinter Cell, Thief, Hitman, Doom, etc, so many are either dying, dead or suffering an identity crisis due to the AAA market, if Duke lays low in the indie or middle market he can retain his identity and maintain good profits to keep more games coming because the budgets won't need to be so high. But I doubt Gearbox is that smart.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I really liked the new Shadow Warrior as a game, I just wish they had given it an original name.

User is offline   necroslut 

I liked the new SW as well, however making Lo Wang younger took away some of what made him a unique character. How many first person shooters - or games - have an old protagonist?

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostDamien_Azreal, on 03 March 2014 - 05:52 PM, said:

It's in early planning stages (very early)... and unlike 3DR's mistake with DNF, GBX won't announce this until it's ready.

Like it was their biggest mistake...

View Postnecroslut, on 03 March 2014 - 06:50 PM, said:

I liked the new SW as well, however making Lo Wang younger took away some of what made him a unique character. How many first person shooters - or games - have an old protagonist?

What do you mean by "old"? Having protagonist around 30-40 years old is quite normal for western video games. How old was Lo Wang in Shadow Warrior?

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostKathy, on 03 March 2014 - 07:05 PM, said:

What do you mean by "old"? Having protagonist around 30-40 years old is quite normal for western video games. How old was Lo Wang in Shadow Warrior?

IIRC the official website stated he was 45, but he seemed older. He did have grey/white beard and no hair. He was definitely "older style" than most other action heroes.
Perhaps they decided "old asian asskicker" was too much of a stereotype.

This post has been edited by necroslut: 03 March 2014 - 07:28 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

He's certainly not a young guy;
Posted Image

If legally possible, port Time to Kill, Land of the Babes, and Zero Hour to PC. And make them GOOD ports.
I'd kill to be able to play those without an emulator (and with modding support!)

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

View PostTheZombieKiller, on 03 March 2014 - 10:16 PM, said:

If legally possible, port Time to Kill, Land of the Babes, and Zero Hour to PC. And make them GOOD ports.
I'd kill to be able to play those without an emulator (and with modding support!)

George Broussard was asked recently if Time to Kill and Land of the Babes would ever be ported. He said he didn't think it would ever happen. The only thing Interceptor/3DR could do is get in contact with N-Space and see if the source code and assets still exist for them.

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on 03 March 2014 - 10:42 PM, said:

George Broussard....

Stop right there.... and think..... does this man know what he thinks he knows?

IIRC the official website stated he was 45, but he seemed older. He did have grey/white beard and no hair. He was definitely "older style" than most other action heroes.
Perhaps they decided "old asian asskicker" was too much of a stereotype.

He could be 45 with a white beard. I'm thirty with white hair coming in on my facial hair. :blink: It happens.
And, I believe Flying Wild Hog went with a younger Lo Wang because they felt with him being young, you could believe he'd be a bit of a douche... and could change throughout the game.
He's young and thinks he's the most awesome guy ever.
But as the game goes on... he matures.

View PostReaperMan, on 03 March 2014 - 11:00 PM, said:

Stop right there.... and think..... does this man know what he thinks he knows?

Yes.
Despite George's problems creating DNF, it doesn't change the fact that he does know a lot about the industry.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

http://www.rockpaper...alms-interview/

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

So this twitter is to show everyone that Caleb From blood is in the talks? hmmm

https://twitter.com/...475016384512000

View PostLunick, on 03 March 2014 - 12:00 PM, said:

https://twitter.com/...475016384512000 What are you up to Fred.

Surely I am not the first to mention it, but what's up with the Blood II thing going on back there? Doesn't Monolith own the Blood IP?

Share this topic:

• 21 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options