Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction - Duke4.net Forums

• 32 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction  "All Out Of Gum aka Gearbox foils Interceptor's plan again"

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on 24 February 2014 - 05:25 AM, said:

Um... Randy blocks anyone on Twitter who says things like that to him. It's not the first time it has happened :blink:

User is offline   Kathy 

Saw what coming? An unfunny insult to a well known person on tweeter?

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostKathy, on 24 February 2014 - 05:34 AM, said:

Saw what coming? An unfunny insult to a well known person on tweeter?

I just realized that "a well known person" is about the only positive thing you can say about Mr. Pitchford.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

That someone is raging at him? What is your point?
Bet he gets that everyday like all famous fuck tards on the net.

This post has been edited by The Commander: 24 February 2014 - 05:42 AM

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

View PostLunick, on 24 February 2014 - 05:33 AM, said:

Um... Randy blocks anyone on Twitter who says things like that to him. It's not the first time it has happened :blink:

I'm sure there will be more than just those few he's received so far. I think they should be more civil, though. They'll get further that way.

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on 24 February 2014 - 05:42 AM, said:

I'm sure there will be more than just those few he's received so far. I think they should be more civil, though. They'll get further that way.

Let me throw you a bone, that guy was a tester for Shadow Warrior Classic Redux and the other person in the discussion is porting Source to Android. Matt (Storm) likes to mess around with Twitter, as well as @Meptrep which I'm sure you found on Randy's timeline too.

He's also my sexy lover.

This post has been edited by Lunick: 24 February 2014 - 05:50 AM

Randy Butthurt

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View Postfuegerstef, on 24 February 2014 - 03:20 AM, said:

This whole GBX/Interceptor/3DR sucks you find everywhere is so ... childish.

Here's the kicker though: They do suck. All of these companies have a terrible track record especially concerning the Duke Nukem series.

View PostLunick, on 24 February 2014 - 03:24 AM, said:

So the lawsuit is over.... a name? :blink:

Its more complex than that. even though I hate Gearbox I understand what they're saying. They had the option of finishing a product they had already started. Anyone who thinks four years later they're still working on the very same project is naive. They didn't have the right to make more games, they had the right to finish what they started. And we all know 3D Realms is great at finishing what they start.

View Postfuegerstef, on 24 February 2014 - 03:25 AM, said:

TBH, the relationship between 3DR and Interceptor on one side and GBX on the other wasn't the best since during the active development of Reloaded. So, nothing new here.

This probably has more to do with 3D Realms taking advantage of the situation than actually liking Interceptor. They're obviously pissed they had to give up the series and at this point they're grasping at every straw they can to get it back.

User is offline   Splat 

• Eat Shit and...

Duke Nukem Games:

Posted Image

:blink:

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

That guy jumped and then went your user name. :blink:

User is offline   Rexus 

I've downloaded the "ebs_sound" trough source code, and my player tells me that it came from a free sound effects website, i don't really think that it's an Arg but it looks like.

User is offline   Skulldog 

User is offline   HulkNukem 

So did the timer hit zero and then the Emergency Broadcast stuff come up, or did that come up before the timer was over and the reveal is on hold?

User is offline   Lunick 

The "Broadcast" thing came up soon after the article related to the lawsuit came up.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

http://www.gameinfor...ukem-title.aspx

"We are aware of the lawsuit against 3D Realms and Interceptor," Interceptor CEO Frederik Schreiber told Game Informer via email. "It’s an unfortunate situation, but we have acted in good faith and are working towards a resolution."

Posted Image

I think Duke Nukem lookalikes can be deemed safe, given this.

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 24 February 2014 - 07:11 PM, said:

Acting in good faith to resolve the situation? then why is the Alloutofgum website still accessible if a cease and desist order was issued? The longer it's up the worse it's going to look for 3DR and Interceptor.

The question i am asking myself is why all the shady back alley bullshit knowing that the situation isn't going to end well, I'm fairly sure that if Interceptor was to approach Gearbox with its plan for Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction then Gearbox probably would have gotten on board and allowed Interceptor to continue but by the looks of it they went behind GB's back and trying to use a technicality.

My personal opinion that if 3D Realms and Interceptor knowingly went behind GB's back then they really deserve everything that's coming to them, i know it 's harsh but i was going on the assumption that 3D Realms and Interceptor/ Fresch weren't that monumentally retarded but here we are.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

View PostRapture Rising, on 24 February 2014 - 08:14 PM, said:

Acting in good faith to resolve the situation? then why is the Alloutofgum website still accessible if a cease and desist order was issued? The longer it's up the worse it's going to look for 3DR and Interceptor.

The question i am asking myself is why all the shady back alley bullshit knowing that the situation isn't going to end well, I'm fairly sure that if Interceptor was to approach Gearbox with its plan for Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction then Gearbox probably would have gotten on board and allowed Interceptor to continue but by the looks of it they went behind GB's back and trying to use a technicality.

My personal opinion that if 3D Realms and Interceptor knowingly went behind GB's back then they really deserve everything that's coming to them, i know it 's harsh but i was going on the assumption that 3D Realms and Interceptor/ Fresch weren't that monumentally retarded but here we are.

I dunno about that, judging by Duke Nukem Reloaded

View PostHulkNukem, on 24 February 2014 - 08:17 PM, said:

I dunno about that, judging by Duke Nukem Reloaded

Do we know the real reason why GB blocked DN:R? I've heard all reasons from that it was going to release to close to DNF to the utter ridiculous that it was going to be better than DNF but isn't it better to try an persuade GB than to go behind their backs thinking that a technicality is going to get you off scot free? There probably been a good chance that GB would have given the go ahead to Interceptor, GB would have received royalties from all sales but the best thing is that they would have literally wouldn't have to do anything because all development and marketing would have been paid for by Interceptor. Even 3D Realms could have collaborated on DN:MD like they did with Max Payne and Prey.

But ultimately this is where back alley shenanigans gets you

View PostMicky C, on 24 February 2014 - 03:03 AM, said:

I still think that Gearbox can make a decent Duke game aimed at old-school fans as well as people looking for something different, without pouring hundreds of millions of dollars into development.

Agreed, for me knowing Gearbox has the rights and plans to make a Duke FPS at some point is very good news. It's a lot more hopeful than Duke was for many years before Gearbox came into the picture. Duke 5 has potential. It hasn't even been three full years since the release of DNF yet, if we don't see anything within another few years I'll wonder, but I think they will officially show one by then.

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 24 February 2014 - 09:58 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I'm not that optimistic. I'm saying if they really wanted to and tried really, really hard, they could probably do it. But they'll probably screw it up.

We don't even know if they plan to make a Duke FPS in the future. There's definitely no mention of plans for a Duke game and it's been 3 years since the last one. Somebody keeps saying that it's possible part of the reason why Gearbox bought the IP was to eliminate it as a competing franchise.

I'm just saying I'm willing to give them one chance with the next Duke game they make.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 24 February 2014 - 10:21 PM

User is offline   Malgon 

^I don't think I've ever heard of that before, about Gearbox buying the IP just to eliminate it as a competing franchise. It's certainly an interesting notion, and considering everything that's happened with the IP over the years it does seem like something that you could almost believe to be true.

This post has been edited by Malgon: 24 February 2014 - 11:38 PM

User is offline   xMobilemux 

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostMicky C, on 24 February 2014 - 10:20 PM, said:

Somebody keeps saying that it's possible part of the reason why Gearbox bought the IP was to eliminate it as a competing franchise.

That makes no sense.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I don't think it's the most likely situation, but someone here's mentioned the possibility a few times. Can't remember who though.

User is offline   ---- 

View PostRapture Rising, on 24 February 2014 - 08:14 PM, said:

I'm fairly sure that if Interceptor was to approach Gearbox with its plan for Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction then Gearbox probably would have gotten on board and allowed Interceptor to continue but by the looks of it they went behind GB's back and trying to use a technicality.

I really don't think so. Not after how GBX acted in the Reloaded days.

EDIT. I know a little bit more than what is known to the public but are bound by an NDA. And I am not gonna tell anything with theese sue-happy parties involved. :blink:

Regarding you other part of the post posts:
And it doesn't look like that GBX thinks that Interceptor got behind their backs from their wording of the court documents. More like they think INterceptor was tricked by 3DR.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 25 February 2014 - 12:57 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

Anyway, I have to give it to Green. Using that screen grab of Randy sitting on a crapper was golden.

User is offline   X-Vector 

View PostKathy, on 25 February 2014 - 12:04 AM, said:

That makes no sense.

Come on, eliminating the competition by handing them a briefcase full of cash after they went belly up as a developer the year before is a brilliant move.
Don't forget, back in 2010 the Duke Nukem franchise was a surefire license to print money and Gearbox knew it.

User is offline   TJR 

View PostMicky C, on 24 February 2014 - 10:20 PM, said:

I'm not that optimistic. I'm saying if they really wanted to and tried really, really hard, they could probably do it. But they'll probably screw it up.

We don't even know if they plan to make a Duke FPS in the future. There's definitely no mention of plans for a Duke game and it's been 3 years since the last one. Somebody keeps saying that it's possible part of the reason why Gearbox bought the IP was to eliminate it as a competing franchise.

I'm just saying I'm willing to give them one chance with the next Duke game they make.

Gearbox had high expectations for Duke Nukem Forever (plus the Duke IP had lost all momentum by the time of acquisition; DNF would revive interest). It's easy to look at the game and assume that they knowingly shipped a dud, but actions suggest otherwise.

To Gearbox, DNF probably seemed like a hot prospect because:

• It was a legendary piece of vaporware - 14 years in the making.
  • It was being saved from certain death and everyone knew it.
  • It brought back a classic character whose style hadn't been replicated since. Buying the IP outright would also grant them perpetual rights.
  • Past and present developers had utmost confidence in it.
  • Internal and external testing predicted a warm reception.

Company management staked their names on the quality, so this was no small matter. They boldly claimed that DNF was as fun as Half-Life 2, and their words seemed to be backed by focus tests. According to ex-Triptych developer Andrew Baker, player impressions were even better than the ones for Borderlands, so Gearbox had a reason to voice confidence.

Additionally, past developers were bullish about what they'd worked on. After the closure of 3D Realms, a small group stuck around to form Triptych and finish DNF without pay (in retrospect, I suspect that some weren't confident enough to apply for a new job until Duke Forever emerged as a megahit). Others left for greener pastures but publicly complained that Gearbox took too much credit for their work! Once the game released to terrible reviews, they changed their tunes, either claiming that GBX messed up or that they always knew it sucked.

At any rate, the result was embarrassing for the company on multiple levels. Quite understandably, they (and potential publishers) may be reluctant to go through with whatever plans they had for the franchise.

[As an aside, I suspect that pre-release impressions of Duke Forever were skewed by development circumstances. The last team at 3DR was drunk on the notion that they were accomplishing what their predecessors failed at (the "we're so awesome" effect). Meanwhile, the Triptych crew invested too many years in the project for failure to be comprehensible (IIRC, Andrew Baker mentioned that any personal doubts were struck down by colleagues). Maybe focus testers were awestruck by the presence of a playable DNF, or maybe they felt that negative feedback would be like kicking a dog when it's down. After all, the project's troubled history had become legendary.]

This post has been edited by TJR: 25 February 2014 - 03:05 AM

User is offline   zwieback 

View PostTJR, on 25 February 2014 - 03:04 AM, said:

Gearbox had high expectations for Duke Nukem Forever (plus the Duke IP had lost all momentum by the time of acquisition; DNF would revive interest). It's easy to look at the game and assume that they knowingly shipped a dud, but actions suggest otherwise.

To Gearbox, DNF probably seemed like a hot prospect because:

• It was a legendary piece of vaporware - 14 years in the making.
  • It was being saved from certain death and everyone knew it.
  • It brought back a classic character whose style hadn't been replicated since. Buying the IP outright would also grant them perpetual rights.
  • Past and present developers had utmost confidence in it.
  • Internal and external testing predicted a warm reception.

Company management staked their names on the quality, so this was no small matter. They boldly claimed that DNF was as fun as Half-Life 2, and their words seemed to be backed by focus tests. According to ex-Triptych developer Andrew Baker, player impressions were even better than the ones for Borderlands, so Gearbox had a reason to voice confidence.

Additionally, past developers were bullish about what they'd worked on. After the closure of 3D Realms, a small group stuck around to form Triptych and finish DNF without pay (in retrospect, I suspect that some weren't confident enough to apply for a new job until Duke Forever emerged as a megahit). Others left for greener pastures but publicly complained that Gearbox took too much credit for their work! Once the game released to terrible reviews, they changed their tunes, either claiming that GBX messed up or that they always knew it sucked.

At any rate, the result was embarrassing for the company on multiple levels. Quite understandably, they (and potential publishers) may be reluctant to go through with whatever plans they had for the franchise.

[As an aside, I suspect that pre-release impressions of Duke Forever were skewed by development circumstances. The last team at 3DR was drunk on the notion that they were accomplishing what their predecessors failed at (the "we're so awesome" effect). Meanwhile, the Triptych crew invested too many years in the project for failure to be comprehensible (IIRC, Andrew Baker mentioned that any personal doubts were struck down by colleagues). Maybe focus testers were awestruck by the presence of a playable DNF, or maybe they felt that negative feedback would be like kicking a dog when it's down. After all, the project's troubled history had become legendary.]

i sign this post - i think that this is very close to the truth of what happened.

Share this topic:

• 32 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options