Duke4.net Forums: An extended look at Duke Nukem Half-Life (WARNING : IMAGE HEAVY) - Duke4.net Forums

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

An extended look at Duke Nukem Half-Life (WARNING : IMAGE HEAVY)

User is online   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

We've got the meshes for the first six weapon models done, one still needs to be textured, they all need proper rigging and animation, but forward progress. Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Commando Nukem: 31 January 2014 - 11:36 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Everything is this thread is rad. Although, I must say I like the original darker version of the shotgun you posted more, Bloodshot.

This post has been edited by ELFDICK: 31 January 2014 - 11:45 PM

User is offline   xMobilemux 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 31 January 2014 - 11:29 PM, said:

Posted Image

Whoa I like that one a lot!

User is online   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostELFDICK, on 31 January 2014 - 11:39 PM, said:

Everything is this thread is rad. Although, I must say I like the original darker version of the shotgun you posted more, Bloodshot.

Posted Image

His final pass over the textures is much improved and balances between color and shadow much better. Posted Image

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I think that's a fair compromise between the two. Creates good contrast.

User is offline   Bloodshot 

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

The Looks good. I think you need more of the contrast and darkness you got in the shotty skin. It looks a bit too washed out there in those screens.

The critter looks interesting. It's nice to see something that isn't just a clone of what appeared in the first (OK, 3rd ) game.

Tiles are looking good too.

I agree the monster looks good too, but a little bit too realistic :/

User is offline   Loke 

The first screenshot is from DNF.

Wait, really? Woah man.

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

Yup, it's from DNF's bonus content. That particular shot was from the 2001 build.

User is online   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

It was the reference image we were using to make the weapon. Posted Image

Work in progress. Some minor coding changes in place (magazine sizes and so forth). Shells eject from wrong spot, will be updating. Animations are very WIP.

The canisters spawn more canisters because we do not yet have a proper gib model in place. Working on it!! Posted Image

(Note: You may have to watch it on YouTube, it is still "processing")

This post has been edited by Commando Nukem: 02 February 2014 - 08:10 PM

User is online   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Mod Update.

Official Title - Duke Nukem : Cataclysm.

I had to trash the code progress I made. Spirit of Half-Life 1.2 is unacceptable. I was encountering multiple crashes, and upon testing the original unmodified code I found this is symptomatic of that build of SoHL. Will be moving over to Spirit 15a4. The setback is minor, as most of the coding changes were fairly rudimentary, and I feel that I can re-implement them in a day or two.

There are a few things that need to be fixed in 15a4.
  • The CD music that Steam supports via Mp3 stream doesn't work if you try to loop it at map start. (I suspect this has something to do with the SoHL implementation of fmod.dll which is for Mp3 streaming of it's own. May have to use it's entity to stream the music. Not sure yet.)
  • 3D Skyboxes do not render the models.
  • env_mirror does not project reflections in multiplayer. (Works perfectly in single player though.)

15a4 is considered by most to be generally more stable, and as a novice coder that's basically what I need under my foot, even if some features don't totally work. (Hey bloodshot, you can keep the 3D skybox at least, it just won't render any models we put into it. Posted Image). I hope to get these issues fixed, either on my own, or with the help of some of the Half-Life community assisting me if possible. The 3D skybox functions perfectly before this version. I just need to figure out where all of the component pieces are to make it work entirely as it should.

Posted Image

Shotgun is rigged. Working on animations. (2001 OTT pump action FTW.) Posted Image

• Cage completed a second set of his awesome textures. They look amazing. (I haven't forgotten ya Cage. I'll get back to you shortly. The coding situation has me a bit buggered and slow.)
  • Chris has completed his Duke Nukem Theme, and a remix of Stalker for our Hollywood Holocaust remake. We'll be showing off the Duke Theme within the next few days.
  • Bloodshot added additional features to his map, but we're keeping some of this on the D/L now until it's truly ready for action. It's looking really amazing, and many of the updates that we're discussing will only serve to improve the classic layout in some really kickass and gameplay-oriented ways, without losing the charm of the original design.

This post has been edited by Commando Nukem: 03 February 2014 - 11:34 PM

Wow, that shotty looks awesome in game

Here's a small example of the kind of stuff you can hope to see during multiplay

Posted Image

I won't be spoiling the others, but needless to say there will be some really cool shit to do

This post has been edited by Bloodshot: 04 February 2014 - 09:42 AM

Gnarly dude, that's totally radical!

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

FUCK YES

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostBloodshot, on 04 February 2014 - 05:21 AM, said:

Here's a small example of the kind of stuff you can hope to see during multiplay
<snip>

This is the kind of stupid fun interactivity that DNF was missing. :(

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

You could have way too much fun with this. Storming work!

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

[quote name='Bloodshot' timestamp='1391336186' post='184158']
Posted Image

When I saw this I immediately thought of

Posted Image

Huh, then I guess it's true that DNF was the HL2 we never got.

User is online   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Our primary goals with the level design, both single and multiple players, is to have the environments change as much as possible from one instance to the next. Duke3D had great a multiplayer because, on top of having very potent and interesting firepower at your disposal, you also could change the levels, in some cases in some very fundamental ways.(Being able to destroy the side of the Hotel in Hotel Hell as an example.) Opening up new paths, changing the flow of the gameplay. Hollywood Holocaust is acting as our "trinity" testing grounds for these ideas as at it were.

Half-Life is also very good at doing these kind of things. Once you get your head around the way the various entities can interact with each other. That collapsing sign would not be possible in stock Half-life though. That is all thanks to a nifty entity upgrade in SoHL called "movewith". Which allows you to tie models, brush-based(Geometry) entities, sprites, and sounds together to create interesting effects. It's one way to give a moving train additive sprites on all the lights, as an example.

The other fundamental source of inspiration, on the single player side, is the structure of the Quake 2 campaign. Since reworking Half-Life back into a more arcade style experience (with level intermissions) would be a lot of work, and I haven't the coding experience to do it that way, i'm focusing more on trying to design the layouts of each major section of the game along the same path of design as the Quake 2 "units." This takes advantage of Half-life's ability to back track across multiple maps and feel as if you're exploring a larger world.

Some of the level design in single player will also be inspired by Duke Nukem Zero Hour. Mixing and matching various kinds of puzzles and interactivity to progress, without ever bringing the gameplay to a complete stop in the process. Unlike some sections of Half-life itself, or Duke Nukem Forever, where you were literally in the part the developers decided was a "puzzle section."

Quick Update. RPG in-game:

Posted Image

It's not animated yet, but I've got the basic posture in place. Have to add the muzzle flash attachment, and plug in the first version animations.

After that, the pipebomb. Then i'll be going back to the fist and giving it a full set of animation, and finally giving the pistol it's final animations. (It does not have a reload, and the idle animations are a wee bit distraction/need to be longer)

Posted Image

Low quality gif animations for the win. Unfortunately I lost this bit of progress when the program crashed. Oops.

This post has been edited by Commando Nukem: 04 February 2014 - 11:21 PM

User is offline   Malgon 

This is looking kickarse guys. Keep it up! :(

User is offline   TeamVega 

All I can say is you guys are Legends.

Keep up the amazing work!
:(

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

Looking for someone who can make kick-ass Weapon sounds? PM me sometime if you're interested.

Small progress update:

old

Posted Image

new

Posted Image

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

I preferred old. Duke looks a bit sickly in the new picture.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

This looks really awesome and I'm impressed with how fast you guys are making content. I used to mess around with Hammer and the new SourceSDK a lot, I could try and get back into it to make a sort of level pack for this.

User is offline   termit 

• General Arcade

Why did you choose GoldSrc?

Because it was continued from an old Goldsrc project?

User is offline   ---- 

View Posttermit, on 05 February 2014 - 11:11 PM, said:

Why did you choose GoldSrc?

Yeah, I had preferred UEngine. Then I could contribute too (not enough sparetime to learn another engine) ... but then a Duke project switching engines is never a good idea, as we had learned.

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options