Duke4.net Forums: An extended look at Duke Nukem Half-Life (WARNING : IMAGE HEAVY) - Duke4.net Forums

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

An extended look at Duke Nukem Half-Life (WARNING : IMAGE HEAVY)

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

For those who have asked for it, there it is. Four minute pre-showing where i'm talking about some stuff.

Updated title with a warning.

This post has been edited by Commando Nukem: 26 January 2014 - 01:46 PM

User is offline   Cage 

This looks very cool!

Shame you god C&D-ed, but that was foreseeable. Wonder how would it play if you would implement everything you thought about, and how finished & lit maps would look like. :(

User is offline   Bloodshot 

Could always make a skin pack for HL1 with what's left over

hell, somebody made a sp map pack that was heavily inspired by duke 3d, probably could work well with that, though I can't remember what the name was (wasn't it by someone on here?)

This post has been edited by Bloodshot: 24 January 2014 - 11:07 AM

User is offline   Gambini 

Cool! But.. you were using the goldSRC engine for fullbright maps?

I saw that project many times in the past, but didn´t know you were working on it.

• Judge Mental

View PostGambini, on 24 January 2014 - 11:48 AM, said:

Cool! But.. you were using the goldSRC engine for fullbright maps?

I saw that project many times in the past, but didn´t know you were working on it.

Well, as I stated in the video the levels were built by the guy I was working with at the time, and most of the maps he built suffered from leaks. Mostly because they were compiled in unfinished states (There are actually lights in place in some of them, but because of the leaks all of that data is lost.)

User is offline   ReaperMan 

I want this. :(

• Judge Mental

View PostReaperMan, on 24 January 2014 - 01:01 PM, said:

I want this. :(

I honestly wouldn't mind trying to restart it again, but without the assistance of a coder i'd honestly have to handle everything myself, and I know that's just too much for one person.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Looks sweet. Mods like this could have been memorable and made Duke last for a while back in the day. A shame. I'd love to see it finished if something ever let that happen, though.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 24 January 2014 - 06:38 PM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

You are Open Maw then? I didn't know that

Thanks for showing us that. I've been intrigued for years about this project. I'm really sorry you got shut down.

• Judge Mental

There were some cool features that I remember my coding buddy was coming up with near the end (I may even have the emails from wayyy back in the day if I go look on my old hotmail account... If it still exists.) where he was starting to fight ways to implement the shrinker and expander. Which I was very concerned about getting into the game at the time, because particularly the shrinker, it's such an iconic weapon, not having it would have felt weird. But he had found a way to dynamically resize the models and their skeletons so that we may have been at least able to let the player "squash" them like the cockroaches in stock HL. (Better than nothing, right?)

Posted ImagePosted Image

A very early Pig Tank that we never finished. And piggy in his Recon car. Textures based on Duke 3D sprites and Duke Nukem Manhattan Project.

Posted ImagePosted Image

EDF Soldier (Based on a Counter-Strike model, with Gunman skeleton.) "Octa-Queen" Boss.

Posted ImagePosted Image

A couple of the weapon models not shown in the video.

Posted Image

The dismemberment code I was talking about in there was also at one stage applied to the player. Though it didn't actually work 100% right (sometimes on respawning in death match the player would come out with a leg missing from the start.). Every humanoid monster was to have six points of damage. (legs, arms, head, and chest.). The biggest problem we had was blowing limbs off enemies and having them not be dead. It was going to require all kinds of animation tricks and things we hadn't really thought about during the initial implementation. If you blow a pigs leg off, of course he should fall to the ground, or hop, or something, right? Well what initially happened is they were lose a limb and just act normally, minus a limb. (Hilarious, but wrong.) We eventually just decided to have the limbs only come off at the point they lost enough health.

Rewatching the video did make me kinda sad, because I really did love that multiplayer session I had with my friend. It was on this primitive city map inspired by Hollywood Holocaust with just a couple streets and one interior area. Just enough room to play around with some of the gear. It was a lot of fun to blow each other out of the sky.

Posted ImagePosted Image

A newer Duke model I had been working on when I initially got into contact with the coder about getting the mod assets back in hand. My initial intention was to make use of the monster models to make a Duke Nukem machinima via Gold SRC.

Posted Image

This is a shot from a newer map I was fiddling around with at the time. Inspired to a small extent by Time to Kill. "Atomic After Dark. Hot Babes. Cold Beers." The skybox was an attempt at using the 3D skybox code.

Dude, you gotta find a way to fix up what you have and get this out somehow. I will fucking make multiplayer maps for it if you do.

I can also texture and model, though I wouldn't know how to get it in game but I would totally learn for this.

This post has been edited by Bloodshot: 25 January 2014 - 09:39 PM

• Judge Mental

View PostBloodshot, on 25 January 2014 - 09:36 PM, said:

Dude, you gotta find a way to fix up what you have and get this out somehow. I will fucking make multiplayer maps for it if you do.

I can also texture and model, though I wouldn't know how to get it in game but I would totally learn for this.

Bloodshot, if you're really serious about that, dude.... and keep in mind nothing is in stone just yet, but if you really mean that, I suggest you get a copy of Valve Hammer Editor 3.4 or 3.4.5 http://www.cstrike-p...ammer-Editor-35 and start getting familiar. I could definitely use all the help I can get. Posted Image

I was thinking about using the XASH3D/XASHXT conversion of Half-Life to release this, so that I could get it stand alone and make use of some of the extended features available in XASHXT, but I've been told time and again that it is "legally dubious" and, because it was essentially a ground up recreation of what was done in Half-Life, the multiplayer side of it is completely broken. So that breaks the deal for me. ...Of course this whole project is technically considered "legally dubious" at this point. I won't be talking about this project outside of Duke4net if I take it to the next step and actually reactivate it. Simply put, I won't get C&D'd again. I honestly doubt anyone will care since we're talking about the GOLD SRC engine, of all things, but come on. Safety first.

The first order of business will be to get the code base rebuilt. Starting from scratch there, as I don't actually have the source code for the mod anymore, and I don't think my coding friend does either. Anyone who has any coding experience in C or C+/++(Whatever) would be greatly appreciated aswell.

Lastly I do think I have one other person who could help with this, musically anyway. My friend Chris Bulman, who's posted a few Duke remixes here and on 3D Realms over the years, offered his help. So there would be some custom music to look forward to.

Shit.... I'm all out of gum anyway. Let's rock.

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

You can add me to the ever-growing list of folks hyped for a resurrection of this project. The potential is quite abundant. If done right, the end result could attract both Duke fans and non-Duke fans alike, converting them in the process. Watching the video made me desperately long for a quality true-3D Duke FPS....frustration doesn't even begin to describe how I felt that DN:HL was stopped dead in its tracks. It felt like yet another "what could've been" in the Duke universe; another nail in the coffin.

The fact that now it may indeed see the light of day after all is some of the best Duke-related news in a while. :D

I sincerely hope you are able to implement some(or all) of those ambitious ideas from the previous iterations...as well as tons of new cool and creative stuff.

Best of luck, guys!!! :(

Got me looking through my old Quake maps, don't have any of the HL maps I made, but did find a couple of WIPs still left over in my Q1 folder, one of which was this one

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also that dismemberment sounds like it would be perfect for some sort of executions, like removing a player's/monsters arms while they are alive and then removing all their weapons so you could "finish" them

This post has been edited by Bloodshot: 26 January 2014 - 12:39 AM

• Judge Mental

Wow. Those are very good indeed! I am quite impressed...! After looking at those screenshots, I can safely say any contributions you bring to the table will be splendid. I love the fact you were able to pull that off with almost entirely stock Quake textures, too. Great atmosphere and good use of lighting.

Mapping for Half-Life is pretty much the same as it is for Quake in terms of the general rules and guidelines. Though we should obviously keep in mind that this isn't Half-Life. It's Duke, and that attitude needs to prevail in everything from animation, modeling, texturing to mapping. So in designing a map, the flow should be good, the environment interesting. Bring it all together in that sense.

I dug up the old notes that I had on the project. I was obviously quite inspired by DNF 2001 and 1998. Our plot was fairly straight forward, and without giving too much away, essentially a small contingent of the alien menace from Duke 3D survived under the command of a leadership we didn't see originally, The Octa-Queen. With the help of a rogue EDF Colonel and his (now posessed by her babies) EDF troops, Duke is forced back into action just after sitting down for a beer. The adventure traverses the already war-weary Los Angeles, The Deserts, Military Base, and finally to the central nest for the Octrabrains, on their own planet.

New sound assets, textures, models, music and so forth.
Each "Chapter" would end with a little cinematic of sorts, just to give the player a little reward for making it to a whole new area.
Three new bosses (Don't want to say what they are, obviously, one of them is the Octa Queen, but beyond that I won't say.)

Weapons - Obviously we were fairly inspired by the 1998-2001 builds of DNF, and i'd probably stick with that to a degree. Duke's Golden Eagle will probably take the place of the P99 seen in the video. (Might even go for the cool and OTT concept of having it be scoped ala the 1998 builds.) Duke's shotty, pipe bombs, trip mines, RPG, and Devastator just need some clean up and to be recoded properly. Might go with the Sonic Resonator and Laser Chainsaw for "odd ball" weapons if I can't get the shrinker or freezer in there. (Might convert Duke's N64 plasma gun to be the huge toy. I'm REALLY hoping to get someone knowledgeable in coding to come on board and go to town on this.

Multiplayer models/skins (Just sorta riffing ideas right now.)

1. Duke Nukem (Blue jeans, red tank)
2. Retro Duke (With purple overshirt and white under shirt, much more vibrant colors.)
3. Commando Duke (Duke in military style outfit. green camo pants, different ammo components.)
4. Wild West Duke (Duke sporting cowboy duds and a stetson. Stetsons are cool.)
5. Tech Noir Nukem (Duke Nukem with exposed metal bits. Terminator. Red light glowing behind one of the shades.)
6. Night Strike Duke (Based on the action figure, Duke in all black with battle paint.)
7. Blaxploitation Duke (Duke with a 'fro and darker skinned... Hell, I don't know.)
8. Rambo Nukem (Shirtless, with an ammo belt across chest. )
9. Biker Duke (Leather jacket, black pants, American flag bandana)
10. Doug Huggem (The environmentally friendly Duke.)
11. Coat Nukem (Duke with his long coat from the Zero Hour ads.)

I could probably make some of those skins actually, I've gotten much better at texturework/skinning than i used to be.

I really want to try making a deathmatch map on a moving train again, I experimented with that in quake but never got too far due to the engine limits

Also this is just a stupid small detail, but the 2001 trailer used the Unreal Tournament gibbing sounds - probably just never changed them at the time.

Taking those sounds straight from UT99 would probably help make it feel like the 2001 version a teeny bit.

• Judge Mental

That's a very cool map! Something like that would be very cool for a DukeHL map. Something along the lines of a Rabid Transit on steroids. Maybe have one area of the map be the train on it's looping cycle, and then via teleporters a secondary location in the station?

What was the engine limitation for Quake that kept you from finishing it?

If you(Or anyone reading this, actually) would be interested in ripping those sounds out of UT99 and sending them my way, i'd definitely add them in. (I'm totally unfamiliar with editing Unreal Tournament or it's file formats.)

Seeing as Duke is the most important aspect of this mod, I figured i'd start there. This is a hack job of various CS-CZ models, with some minor and major vertex manipulation. The skin is going to need to be completely redone, and I am now in the process of adding on the ammo and accessories. Basically, for each multiplayer skin/model I just want to be able to swap the accessories fairly easy. This will also be the standard by which all the other characters are done.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Stylistically i'd love to get Duke looking very close to this:
Posted Image

One thing I was thinking about, too, which we never got implemented was the jetpack. Now I know Natural Selection was able to do it. (Even giving the player models a sub model to show that they were wearing the jet pack.) This will have to be something I work on going forward, but it would be so cool. I might try contacting Flayra/The NS team and see if they could let me in on how that was done.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Just like to say that you are free to use any of my models that I contributed to the Duke Nukem HRP for this project.

I can't say for the new Duke and Overlord models as the High Polys came from other people, but the new and old Cycloids, the Queen, sky car, signs and any of the static props I've done I don't mind you using. It would be amazing to see this come to life.

User is offline   Loke 

If you have UT installed you can open up the editor and export the sound file into a .wav.

Anyway, I believe the attached file is what they used in the trailer.

Attached File  Gib1.wav (42.89K)
Number of downloads: 534

• Judge Mental

View PostTea Monster, on 26 January 2014 - 02:19 PM, said:

Just like to say that you are free to use any of my models that I contributed to the Duke Nukem HRP for this project.

I can't say for the new Duke and Overlord models as the High Polys came from other people, but the new and old Cycloids, the Queen, sky car, signs and any of the static props I've done I don't mind you using. It would be amazing to see this come to life.

Thank you very much, dude! That's awesome. Posted Image

View PostLoke, on 26 January 2014 - 02:22 PM, said:

If you have UT installed you can open up the editor and export the sound file into a .wav.

Anyway, I believe the attached file is what they used in the trailer.

Attachment Gib1.wav

Thanks for that. Hey, whatdya know, I never would have guessed that. That'll fit in very nicely. I'll have to reinstall UT99 and see what's in there.

I've been scowering various builds of "Spirt of Half-Life" which is akin to a Half-Life version of Duke Plus. It adds in a number of features for level designers to work with, and would be a great place to start working forwards from on the coding side. It allows for a lot better control of monster scripting, and adds in a particle system of sorts (including rain and fog). Though the problem is some of these features are strangely broken, and i'm not sure why... This was also the place we nicked the 3D skybox code from back in the day.

I've found a tutorial to port over the Opposing Force night vision to stock Half-Life, so that right there will bring back some of the Dukeism. Posted Image

My problem with the Quake maps was that the moving scenery was basically a bunch of func_trains synced up, so any other engine than darkplaces they would just stop being rendered.

My other problem was that the map limits were too small to make one long train level, they were more designed for things to be overlapped. I'd imagine HL's limits are much higher though.

View PostCommando Nukem, on 26 January 2014 - 01:41 PM, said:

One thing I was thinking about, too, which we never got implemented was the jetpack. Now I know Natural Selection was able to do it. (Even giving the player models a sub model to show that they were wearing the jet pack.) This will have to be something I work on going forward, but it would be so cool. I might try contacting Flayra/The NS team and see if they could let me in on how that was done.

Heh heh well ain't you a lucky devil

Something I'm thinking about to spice up DM gameplay would be having a lot of traps in MP - like, expanding the "destructibility" element to other things - making light fixtures that can be shot and have them fall down and crush people, billboards where you can break the supports, etc.

Also on the topic of Opposing Force, OP4 had ropes that you could swing on and that was awesome

This post has been edited by Bloodshot: 26 January 2014 - 05:17 PM

• Judge Mental

View PostBloodshot, on 26 January 2014 - 05:08 PM, said:

My problem with the Quake maps was that the moving scenery was basically a bunch of func_trains synced up, so any other engine than darkplaces they would just stop being rendered.

My other problem was that the map limits were too small to make one long train level, they were more designed for things to be overlapped. I'd imagine HL's limits are much higher though.

Map limits are a bit better than Quake. The scale is slightly different too (the player is 72 units high instead of....I think, 64 in Quake.)

Now i'm excited.

Something I'm thinking about to spice up DM gameplay would be having a lot of traps in MP - like, expanding the "destructibility" element to other things - making light fixtures that can be shot and have them fall down and crush people, billboards where you can break the supports, etc.

Most of those should be doable with things like linked func_breakable and func_doors. Using things like env_spark, different light/light_spots set to trigger to change things around. A lot of the stuff in Half-Life is all faked, there's no modern physics engine going on. No ragdolls. But there's nothing stopping one from making a map very much riddled with destructive scenery and changing the gameplay up. Hollywood Holocaust, as an example, can be recreated pretty much identical inside of HL.

Started a little something to see if the old editor I used was still set up properly for HL1

Posted Image

Posted Image

I was definitely thinking of using func_doors for stuff like simulating something tipping over, (maybe) func_trains for having things fall down (though I'll have to see what other entities HL1 has that can accomplish this)

I wonder if func_pushables can cause damage to players? (perhaps they can be made to?)

This post has been edited by Bloodshot: 26 January 2014 - 05:55 PM

• Judge Mental

Oh man, that's great! Posted Image
At this point there's nothing really solid coding wise for the mod, but as I said, i'm planning on using Spirit of Half-Life as the ground work for the mod, as it adds in a huge array of functionality for all kinds of things, including, to an extent (and depending on how much you want to learn) the ability to do some really cool things.

https://dl.dropboxus...36/Spirit14.zip

^ I packed Spirit version 1.2, and then dumped in the updated version 1.4 over the top of it. There are a few compiled example maps, documentation/entity guide, and an fgd file. So if you wish to map with some features already in place, there ya go.

Here's an example of what SoHl's entities can do:

This post has been edited by Commando Nukem: 26 January 2014 - 06:10 PM

Does this work with the WON version of HL1 as well? I have both that and the steam one, though the CD version is the only one I have installed

also browsing mod db jesus christ

http://www.moddb.com...barney#imagebox

This post has been edited by Bloodshot: 26 January 2014 - 06:30 PM

• Judge Mental

It should load up just fine in the WON version, as long as it's updated to ... Whatever it was 1.1.1.0 I think. The latest before the move over to steam.

Holy crap. That's got some excellent code under the hood.

Found a good texture to "emulate" a building's windows, decided to compliment it with some scaled up light textures

Posted Image

Apparently light textures automatically generate light in HL, had no idea. That's a useful way to make the map a bit brighter without putting point lights everywhere.

• Judge Mental

Yes indeed! You can set which textures put out light, and how much light the put out in the "lights.rad" file which should be in the same directory as Worldcraft/Hammer, specifically with the compile tools. (The light is added at compile time, so you cant edit the lights rad and get a different effect later obviously. You have to recompile.) So the great thing, obviously, is with custom wads and textures you can add them into the lights rad and have custom textures. This is also a great way to achieve neon lighting much more naturally. Anywhere, where it doesn't have to change dynamically. (I haven't tested it myself, but i'm pretty sure if you apply a tex light like this to a func_breakable, the light will stay even if the object is destroyed, but i'm not sure.)

Posted Image

Been tweaking the VIP head that I was using for the Duke model. Eliminated the unshaven look and tweaked the hair. The glasses have been extruded and grouped into two parts. The shades will actually have a reflective/chrome effect going on, and I may double that part and move it back slightly to give the impression of Duke's eyes in shadow behind the lenses (So if you look closely you'll see his eyes, faintly)

Update #2:
Posted Image

Some dodgey UV mapping and more hacking. Some things are going to have to be given a heavy coat of paint before it's where it should be, but it's a start.

This post has been edited by Commando Nukem: 27 January 2014 - 12:13 AM

User is offline   Cage 

I think his forehead/top of the head is too long, I'd move the hair down on the texture.

Yep, hairline seems a bit too high

Got some more progress

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's not quite the same, trying out some new ideas

and yes, you can go out the door and use the fire escape to climb down/back up the start building instead of just jumping down.

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options