Duke4.net Forums: An extended look at Duke Nukem Half-Life (WARNING : IMAGE HEAVY) - Duke4.net Forums

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

An extended look at Duke Nukem Half-Life (WARNING : IMAGE HEAVY)

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I like the new one!

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

View PostPikaCommando, on 06 February 2014 - 01:18 AM, said:

Because it was continued from an old Goldsrc project?

I thought Commando Nukem said that he was starting over again because the source code was lost? I also personally would've preferred a UDK-based mod, but it's their baby so whatever makes them happy. :(

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

UDK, Unity, Source or similar. They'd have to chuck all the assets and work made up to this point though, so meh.

User is offline   Bloodshot 

I can't speak for Commando Nukem, but I'm working on this because it's on Half-Life (Quake) engine - I know the engine's ins and outs better than any other engine I've worked with, and also because I love the look of earlier 3D (also HL's gameplay is similar to duke 3d in a lot of respects even if the flow of the singleplayer is vastly different).

So basically for me it's mostly experience and what I'm comfortable with.

A more personal reason - I know this is kind of beating a dead horse, and it's been over a decade, but somehow that 2001 trailer hasn't gotten old to me yet - which amazes me - most other stuff like that fades out in time, even the most interesting of stuff, but every time I go back and watch that 01 trailer it just gives me a certain feeling. It won't be "what DNF was in 2001", but if we could manage to capture at least what it might have felt like had it been made, part of me finds that more interesting then doing something more modern.

This post has been edited by Bloodshot: 06 February 2014 - 10:42 AM

User is online   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostBloodshot, on 06 February 2014 - 10:36 AM, said:

I can't speak for Commando Nukem, but I'm working on this because it's on Half-Life (Quake) engine - I know the engine's ins and outs better than any other engine I've worked with, and also because I love the look of earlier 3D (also HL's gameplay is similar to duke 3d in a lot of respects even if the flow of the singleplayer is vastly different).

So basically for me it's mostly experience and what I'm comfortable with.

A more personal reason - I know this is kind of beating a dead horse, and it's been over a decade, but somehow that 2001 trailer hasn't gotten old to me yet - which amazes me - most other stuff like that fades out in time, even the most interesting of stuff, but every time I go back and watch that 01 trailer it just gives me a certain feeling. It won't be "what DNF was in 2001", but if we could manage to capture at least what it might have felt like had it been made, part of me finds that more interesting then doing something more modern.

Pretty much as you say, sir. Posted Image

I don't know the Unreal engine in any of it's forms. I have very little experience with any of the formats it employs for packing things away. I tried using Unreal ED a few times, and I can safely say that I do not like the way it works.

I know Half-Life. People who come onto the team can rest assured that I can help them through the basics. It's also a matter of, in spirit, continuing the project that was killed those years ago. If I were to switch to an open source engine to finish it, that wouldn't be the case... And the only engine I would choose other than Half-Life, is Darkplaces. Even then i'd still be using the Half-Life map format that is included. But we're not going to do that. This is a Half-LIfe mod as it always has been, and it will be the best that we can make it.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Plus Goldsrc is still getting unofficial updates, AFAIK Unreal Engine isn't.
Hammer is, for me, easier to use also, ESPECIALLY terrain.
I'll post some screenshots of something I just worked on as a test later today if that's cool? It's a few western like buildings and a remake of the deck/platform hanging off a cliff that gets blown up in the 98 trailer

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 06 February 2014 - 11:42 AM

User is online   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostHulkNukem, on 06 February 2014 - 11:24 AM, said:

Plus Goldsrc is still getting unofficial updates, AFAIK Unreal Engine isn't.
Hammer is, for me, easier to use also, ESPECIALLY terrain.
I'll post some screenshots of something I just worked on as a test later today if that's cool? It's a few western like buildings and a remake of the deck/platform hanging off a cliff that gets blown up in the 98 trailer

Please do. Posted Image

User is offline   Cage 

Hey guys, we have to switch to a NEWER ENGINE to MAKE IT BETTER THAT THE OTHER GAMES ON THE CURRENT MARKET! Also the current assets won't cut it, so let's throw it into the toilet!

*Gets shot*

I'm with Bloodshot and Commando Nukem here, GoldSRC is way more 2001 :(

• Polymancer

Also, I love me some next gen sexiness, but with the artstyle and engine they have here, they can chuck out a playable mod in a few months.

This is what they know, let them get on with it.

User is offline   Hool 

It's best to use an old engine than use a new engine and attempt to replicate a 90's shooter. Take for example, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD. The game remade the first two games with HD graphics but it didn't have that "feel" the old games had - the physics and movement were different and it put off any retro players who wanted to play the game.

With an old school engine such as GoldSrc or UEngine, the game/mod will practically run on anything post-2001.

But, it's up to the team if they want to use GoldSrc.

User is offline   Psyrgery 

I've been following this sexyness since the beginning and all I have to say is:

Sweet Jesus, this is some sweet looking mod, words cannot explain how much praise you guys deserve for making this.

Honestly, good job guys! I will definately dig this when it's done

User is offline   Ronin 

View PostPsyrgery, on 06 February 2014 - 01:53 PM, said:

when it's done

Don't you say that.

User is online   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Hey, you can say it all you want.

Nobody on the team is ever allowed to say it, though. Posted Image

User is offline   LkMax 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 06 February 2014 - 02:31 PM, said:

Hey, you can say it all you want.

Nobody on the team is ever allowed to say it, though. Posted Image

sooooo...
what is the release date? :(

:D

User is online   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

We hope to have the first internal multiplayer alpha ready to go by the weekend, or if not, early next week.

There. How's that for an answer not totally loaded with shit? Posted Image

User is offline   LkMax 

Totally avoided my question and gave information about internal development.
0/10 your PR guys sucks and Duke is doomed
/s

Seriously tought, everyone and their mother already said it but this is looking really promising, I'd say professional stuff even.
Though you might want to avoid a cease and desist order by naming it Duky Nukum or something.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

Posted Image

I hereby pronounce Dick Kickem to be the official getaway name for any promising projects made after Duke Nukem.

User is offline   Cage 

Duke Screw 'Em 38D? :(
Posted Image

User is online   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostCage, on 06 February 2014 - 11:56 PM, said:

Duke Screw 'Em 38D? :(
Posted Image

Oh God, not that again....

OH MY GOD YES, IT'S ALIVE!

On another note, when this is finished, would it be possible for you to also release that older build for historical purposes?

Messing with the old version of Hammer for the first time in years. I'm reteaching myself the limits of the engine (too many polys in one place breaks the visuals in-game, hence the one in-engine shot)
Obviously these are in no way a near final thing and the textures and detailing aren't final either
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Remade this platform from the 1998 trailer
Posted Image

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 07 February 2014 - 04:28 PM

User is online   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Very nice work there HulkNukem!

Yeah, you may want to get your hands on "Zoner's Half-Life Tools" from zhlt.info if you have not. They improve performance and such for newer computers during compile, and you can make use of the NULL texture on unseen faces to help optimize the maps that way. (Better frame-rate, fewer polygons on excessive points of interest.).

Bloodshot and I did a bit of an experiment of sorts today and I managed to record some of it into demo files. Mostly it was supposed to be a simple test of the Duke mesh on a standard HL rig, a bit of a big thing.

Also, for any would be mappers out there, if you want to work with stock HL and work on your maps for Duke while custom wads are being built up, here's a developer wad file I've put together. This can help you to build maps to proper scale and to keep things fairly clean. (NOTE: packaged within the wad file are the Zoner textures, so you do not need to include zhl.wad anymore.) Posted Image
https://dl.dropboxus...Stuf/dn_dev.wad

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

It looks pretty good, but does it collapse when shot? Posted Image

User is offline   Loke 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 08 February 2014 - 01:33 AM, said:

Also, for any would be mappers out there, if you want to work with stock HL and work on your maps for Duke while custom wads are being built up, here's a developer wad file I've put together. This can help you to build maps to proper scale and to keep things fairly clean. (NOTE: packaged within the wad file are the Zoner textures, so you do not need to include zhl.wad anymore.) Posted Image
https://dl.dropboxus...Stuf/dn_dev.wad

Nice. Just fooled around a bit with them and they look great. If I'd do something it'd probably be a remake of another map (from DN3D) or something (when I have the time, busy with other map related stuff at the moment).

User is offline   Hool 

If anybody wants to map on modern systems then I highly recommend Jackhammer Editor:

http://jackhammer.hlfx.ru/en/

It has all the features to fully map both for GoldSrc and Quake. Check it out!

• Polymancer

Ever tried Trenchbroom?

http://kristianduske.com/trenchbroom/

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

View PostMicky C, on 08 February 2014 - 02:49 AM, said:

I was going to ask the exact same thing but I figured the answer was no, otherwise HulkNukem probably would've made an animated gif out of if it, or at least mentioned it.

PS. I'm not even going to bother asking how to get there in the DLC's 1st level! :(

User is offline   Hool 

View PostTea Monster, on 08 February 2014 - 07:29 AM, said:

Ever tried Trenchbroom?

http://kristianduske.com/trenchbroom/

I use TrenchBroom myself but I don't know if it supports Half-Life. I'll have to look into that.

View PostMicky C, on 08 February 2014 - 02:49 AM, said:

View PostDuke Rocks, on 08 February 2014 - 08:50 AM, said:

I was going to ask the exact same thing but I figured the answer was no, otherwise HulkNukem probably would've made an animated gif out of if it, or at least mentioned it.

Oh?

Posted Image
(I cooked this up in a few seconds so yes it is rather fugly :()

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options