Duke4.net Forums: An extended look at Duke Nukem Half-Life (WARNING : IMAGE HEAVY) - Duke4.net Forums

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

An extended look at Duke Nukem Half-Life (WARNING : IMAGE HEAVY)

User is offline   Bloodshot 

tbh I think HL1's movement is fine, maybe will increase the distance you can fall

HL2's on the other hand, gordon does run like an 80 year old when you don't sprint and he jumps like both his legs are broken.

User is offline   Hool 

View PostBloodshot, on 15 February 2014 - 08:25 AM, said:

tbh I think HL1's movement is fine, maybe will increase the distance you can fall

HL2's on the other hand, gordon does run like an 80 year old when you don't sprint and he jumps like both his legs are broken.

Half Life 2's movement is no way near the awfulness called Duke Nukem on Sega Saturn. He turns like he's drunk and has only one foot.

User is offline   Bloodshot 

Actually, on further testing i think the run speed should be upped a bit

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Coming your way, either today, or tomorrow (depending on capturing and editing times) there will be a sizeable demonstration of the internal multiplayer alpha!

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostCommando Nukem, on 15 February 2014 - 11:31 AM, said:

Coming your way, either today, or tomorrow (depending on capturing and editing times) there will be a sizeable demonstration of the internal multiplayer alpha!

I'd love to take part in something like that sometime. Could be an opportunity for me to get AMX/Metamod working with it. I also have a VPS that could be used for hosting dedicated servers for you guys around the clock.

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

Any news?

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Not happening. :)

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

A C & D was delivered from the nice people at Gearbox - who care so much about Duke's future - and that was the end of modding on anything other than EDuke.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostTea Monster, on 27 May 2015 - 12:26 AM, said:

A C & D was delivered from the nice people at Gearbox - who care so much about Duke's future - and that was the end of modding on anything other than EDuke.

For a fan project?

A non-commercial fan project?

Shouldn't their legal team be a bit more busy with something else right now?

This post has been edited by Comrade Major: 27 May 2015 - 04:31 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

It's not unexpected behaviour. After all, it was going to be better than DNF and they knew it, old engine and all. I'm just annoyed that the news broke to them when it was being done so quietly...

• Polymancer

It wasn't that quiet. Everybody and his pet dog was on the 'private' section and some tard had started a thread about it on Gearboxes freakshow, sorry, forum.

So not that stealthy.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostTea Monster, on 27 May 2015 - 12:26 AM, said:

Remember that next time you think of buying a game from Gearbox.

• Polymancer

Lol, no intention to buy boredomlands.

To be fair, 3DR did exactly the same crap to modders before they went under.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 27 May 2015 - 08:31 AM

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

View PostTea Monster, on 27 May 2015 - 05:50 AM, said:

It wasn't that quiet. Everybody and his pet dog was on the 'private' section and some tard had started a thread about it on Gearboxes freakshow, sorry, forum.

So not that stealthy.

I politely asked some time ago for the password to to that section and I was denied. Can I PLEASE have it now? I'd at least like to see the progress that was made, now that it'll never see the light of day. :)

• Polymancer

Not mine to give.

• The Sarien Encounter

Is there a link to that thread on the Gearbox freakshow?

User is offline   HulkNukem 

View PostDuke Rocks, on 27 May 2015 - 10:29 AM, said:

I politely asked some time ago for the password to to that section and I was denied. Can I PLEASE have it now? I'd at least like to see the progress that was made, now that it'll never see the light of day. :)

There isn't much there; anything that was started were all taken down rather quickly after to keep it more of a secret.
There was a video of early Hollywood Holocaust/Dukematch that looked really good, but I'm not the one to post it here. The only thing I could post would be the western themed remake/reimagine level I was doing, but those videos I'm sure are a few pages back in this thread. Those never even got into the project at all before the C&D
A shame, really.

*edit* Here's a small video of something I was doing. I wish I could go back and make it a lot better and add custom textures, but shit happens.

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 27 May 2015 - 02:58 PM

User is offline   ReaperMan 

You talking about this idiot?

http://oldforums.gea...ad.php?t=360555

View PostReaperMan, on 27 May 2015 - 02:58 PM, said:

You talking about this idiot?

http://oldforums.gea...ad.php?t=360555

I really like that you called it in the Duke4 thread, post 26

• The Sarien Encounter

What's hilarious is that is basically the same post CN made here on the Duke4 forums of what he had done in the past PRIOR to what we were doing in the private thread...

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 27 May 2015 - 04:15 PM

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

View PostDuke Rocks, on 27 May 2015 - 10:29 AM, said:

Why the fuck did I get two downvotes for that? I asked once, ages ago, promising to never share anything I found out(which is apparently a lot more than what some people did), and now that the project is kaput and it's revealed that "everybody and their pet dog" had access to the forum, I ask nicely again - after basically having been played for a fool because I was told way back then that they weren't giving out the pass to anyone else. What behaviors have I exhibited that exclude me alone from being worthy of viewing the forum? I'm simply an honorable Duke fan who has an appreciation for fan made tributes who would never dream of betraying the trust of this underground modding community. How on earth is that being out of line?

• The Sarien Encounter

Relax. The only ones who had access were the people who were actually working on it. I suppose it's up to Commando Nukem if he wants to release any of what was done to the public. I can understand why he wouldn't, though.

Revisiting this mod and its history reminded me of an old article I read years ago in 3D Action Planet. It concerned 3D Realms shutting down a Quake III mod called Duke it Out in Quake!. I retrieved an archived link to the article for others to read.

3D Action Planet Editorials-- Duke Nuked Forever?

It's interesting to see the arguments George Broussard made back in 2001 about protecting his copyright, and seeing his words juxtaposed with Bruce Campbell's reaction about 3D Realms infringing on the Evil Dead trademark.
Grey Loki, the author of the article, is particularly spot in his criticisms of the past 3D Realms' policy with Duke mods.

"Duke It Out In Quake!" was homage to Duke Nukem. 3D Realms had the chance to bring back some of that old feeling with this mod and to spark new interest in Duke Nukem Forever. Perhaps they could have even followed in the footsteps of Valve Software and a few other developers and helped the mod out by giving it support.

But instead they angered fans by Foxing a mod that many were excited about. Will we see the same bitter 3D Realms when Duke Nukem Forever is released

Very ironic last sentence considering what happened to 3D Realms and DNF, and that hasn't been any modding for DNF.

From another viewpoint, although Valve has done well with modders in the past, I haven't seen Valve lend support for mods based on Half-Life on a game engine which Valve didn't develop. (I have seen a fan Portal game made with Unity, so such a concept probably wouldn't be far off). I agree with the other statement the author wrote.

These people made this mod for fun, and like many mod makers, probably made it to grab the attention of some developers looking for new talent. And what better maps to make than those of Duke Nukem? Everyone knows who Duke is and has played the game.

Having a bunch of Duke Nukem mods for other games would not have only kept the character alive for subsequent gamers, it could have given Broussard some potential creative employees well-versed in modding Unreal who could have helped with DNF (or maybe not).

I still wonder about the possibilities for Duke mods for other games. Altered Reality's Unreal proof of concept levels based on DNF 98 still gets me going on the prospect of recreating what we wanted DNF to be for ourselves.

Duke Nukem 98 Unreal Engine proofs of concept

User is offline   Lunick 

I hadn't seen or heard of Duke it out in Quake before. Thanks for digging it up!

• Polymancer

I see what George is saying, but is making a fan project in Unreal or Source any different from making a fan project in DN3D? It's made by fans ,for fans and it's not going to threaten anyone's IP or take away from the bottom line on anyone's profit spreadsheet. If the project is made in Source or in DN3D, what is the difference? Why is it a threat in one engine and not another? It would have been pretty much the same mod. The effects might have looked better, but not that much as it's original Source. Who is going to be out of pocket on this, and why is it OK in one engine and not another?

User is offline   Mark 

Maybe they feel its bad to saturate the community with potentially bad to mediocre versions of their expensive IP which they feel could hurt them especially if those remakes are the only exposure many have had to Duke Nukem. When it comes time to release their official product some might just yawn because they remember Duke only as that lousy Quake version they played last year.

Or they could be worried that what turns out is super high quality stuff and would make it even harder to top with an official release. Im just making uneducated guesses here.

View PostMark., on 30 May 2015 - 03:44 AM, said:

Maybe they feel its bad to saturate the community with potentially bad to mediocre versions of their expensive IP which they feel could hurt them especially if those remakes are the only exposure many have had to Duke Nukem. When it comes time to release their official product some might just yawn because they remember Duke only as that lousy Quake version they played last year.

Or they could be worried that what turns out is super high quality stuff and would make it even harder to top with an official release. Im just making uneducated guesses here.

Well I mean look at all the 3rd party Duke games. Zero Hour and Manhattan Project are the only worthwhile ones, and those were all retail games.

• Auramancer

Commando Nukem, you haven't been answering my PMs even though I was a part of this project, what gives?

• Auramancer

I need access to my old posts on there, I don't appreciate how you've been ignoring my PMs. I've sent several, thinking you just didn't see them, but it's getting ridiculous at this point. I know you've been visiting this forum recently Commando, is being ignored the repayment I get for hosting the SVN and FTP servers, doing sound work, and basically spending several nights without sleep porting Xash3D to Visual Studio 2008 so the project could move forward without it being a pain in the ass? Think I leaked the project or something? Fuck that, I'm not the douche from the GBX forums, and I keep my word to confidentiality. I was pissed as well when GBX shut us down like the typical assholes they are.

I really hate to be like this, but I don't like being ignored for months on end either.

If Commando Nukem won't talk to me, can someone else from the DN Cataclysm dev team help me out? I need someone to PM me with the password to the board so I can access my old threads linking to resources and tools. I also need the info to my old SVN server, as I lost my original document that had the login info.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 04 July 2015 - 09:50 PM

• Polymancer

If your name were Jim, I could tell you something - but it isn't, so I can't.

Let me put it another way:
Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options