Duke4.net Forums: An extended look at Duke Nukem Half-Life (WARNING : IMAGE HEAVY) - Duke4.net Forums

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

An extended look at Duke Nukem Half-Life (WARNING : IMAGE HEAVY)

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Oh yeah!

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Well I must say progress is looking pretty sweet at the moment.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

We're sorta going quiet right now as we try to get a bigger presentation ready to go in the next few days, but don't be alarmed if we're a little more quiet. The mod is progressing great. I was able to get everything that I had done before and more as far as coding is concerned today (minus the flashlight.) I'm currently focusing on getting the Duke sound into the game. Namely his pain and deaths. Duke Talk is going to be a little more interesting. For the pain and death sounds i'm actually swapping out the stock HL code with the code from Deathmatch Classic.

This post has been edited by Commando Nukem: 09 February 2014 - 01:11 AM

• Polymancer

I've got a flashlight model if you need one.

I'm so hyped for this, it's like waiting for Duke Nukem Forever all over again, minus the 12 years and stupid development choices.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

BAN THE BRONY

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Got my map into a more organized mess instead of just a sort of zoo of buildings.

And I must add, this isn't officially part of this mod, this is my own side project for it!

It is a sort of S shape coal mining town with multiple paths. There are a few hidden areas and a few good spots for the jetpack (when it gets implemented). The platform no longer collapses, and instead houses the RPG spawn, but it does have a destructible 'trap'. Set a trip mine or a well placed pipe bomb and you might just drop down another player.

• Judge Mental

View PostHulkNukem, on 10 February 2014 - 06:22 PM, said:

Got my map into a more organized mess instead of just a sort of zoo of buildings.

And I must add, this isn't officially part of this mod, this is my own side project for it!

It is a sort of S shape coal mining town with multiple paths. There are a few hidden areas and a few good spots for the jetpack (when it gets implemented). The platform no longer collapses, and instead houses the RPG spawn, but it does have a destructible 'trap'. Set a trip mine or a well placed pipe bomb and you might just drop down another player.

That is looking absolutely awesome, Hulk. Absolutely amazing! Posted Image

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

Pretty nifty, HulkNukem! Can't wait to see what you continue to churn out!

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

I heard people were on the subject of Engines. Moving from GoldSrc to Source Engine isn't that difficult, and most of the assets could easily be brought over, after conversion or recompilation with the Source SDK Tools. There's also some backwards compatibility in some areas (legacy entities, etc.)

Though, if you do stick with GoldSrc, I would suggest looking up the work-in-progress, but full-blown physics engine being made for it (Has ragdoll physics!). Google may help... getting in contact with the creator may be a challenge however. On the other hand, you could perhaps make one of your own using the NVidia PhysX SDK (Which is a distant cousin to Mequon, which DNF 2003 started using, IIRC.)

EDIT: Actually, looks like you may be in luck for that exactly: http://www.moddb.com...s/xash3d-engine

(Actual NVidia PhysX Support in HL1 using the Xash3D Engine.)

http://www.moddb.com...tional-contents

Seriously, keep a watch on this shit. A open-source re-implementation of GoldSrc, with NVidia PhysX, Per-Pixel Lighting, raised limits, and all? Fuck yes.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 14 February 2014 - 02:08 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Out of curiosity, if they went to the source engine, would it still have that 1998 feel that engines like Goldsrc would have?

And looking at the summary, it seems as though it's not fully ready for multiplayer yet, and Commando Nukem has stated that he wants full compatibility support.

• Auramancer

View PostMicky C, on 14 February 2014 - 02:05 AM, said:

Out of curiosity, if they went to the source engine, would it still have that 1998 feel that engines like Goldsrc would have?

And looking at the summary, it seems as though it's not fully ready for multiplayer yet, and Commando Nukem has stated that he wants full compatibility support.

If they kept the same assets, yeah. Just look at Half Life: Source.

As for Xash3D, aside from the multiplayer, it's already pretty solid. It's also binary-compatible with regular GoldSrc. (Meaning mods made for GoldSrc can be used with it)
Multiplayer is functional, just not completed. It's already possible to play full matches, it just lacks lag compensation and many of Valve's own changes to the netcode. It's comparable to plain ol' QuakeWorld.

Still seems like a good engine to support for more advanced stuff (which would make it a Xash3D-specific mod however... still worth it in my opinion until even if it meant that multiplayer would come later.)

The PhysX stuff really entices me because it could help fulfill many of the things in the E3 2001 trailer and DNF 2001's originally promised feature set when it comes to interactivity.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 14 February 2014 - 02:34 AM

• Polymancer

Apart from the bizzare fetish that everyone on this forum seems to have about being 20 years behind the times - if they upgraded the mod now, they would have to chuck all the assets they have made up till now. With the fast progress that we've seen so far, I really wouldn't suggest that.

User is offline   ---- 

View PostTea Monster, on 14 February 2014 - 02:36 AM, said:

... the bizzare fetish that everyone on this forum seems to have about being 20 years behind the times ...

Repped for that. :blink:

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 14 February 2014 - 02:46 AM

• Auramancer

Apart from the bizzare fetish that everyone on this forum seems to have about being 20 years behind the times - if they upgraded the mod now, they would have to chuck all the assets they have made up till now. With the fast progress that we've seen so far, I really wouldn't suggest that.

I guess you weren't reading what I had said.

GoldSrc -> Source could use the same assets, the engines are similar enough that conversion would only take a few days, maybe even less.

GoldSrc -> Xash3D wouldn't need any asset conversion at all, because it IS GoldSrc, just an open source re-implementation of it with advanced features. You could literally play this mod in Xash3D right now, even with the same compiled code.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 14 February 2014 - 02:51 AM

User is offline   Frederik Schreiber 

• Slipgate Studios

This looks really cool!
Can't wait to see how this develops.
Great job!

• Polymancer

Yeah, but if it has advanced rendering features, you'll need to construct new models and textures that take specular and normal maps into account, our there is no point in having the new renderer.

You'll have to chuck it all out and start again. It is possible to retrofit this stuff, but it never looks any good.

• Judge Mental

We're not upgrading. It's just that simple.

I'm very familiar with Xash, and while it has some very nice features, not to mention being wholly open sourced. However, as others have said, it's "legally dubious."

I'd love to use Xash. I really would. Then anyone who wanted to, could play it, without any issues. There would be no need for you to own a copy of the original Half-Life (as every asset would be replaced anyway and it would become the main game dir, instead of a mod dir.). It's something i've been reconsidering, but i'm not about to make a decision about it right now. We're doing just fine where we are. Trust me, when you guys see what we've got in the next couple days, you'll be very happy with where we're at. Posted Image

I want to throw out some thank yous right now, on that note:

Bloodshot, for being an incredibly talented level designer, and being open to both suggestion and direction. Our collaboration on the level, and indeed the mod as a whole, has only benefited it in every way.
Cage, for his fantastic custom texture sets, which have begun implementation already, and the quality they have put myself to for texture work is awesome. I look forward to seeing what else he can come up with.
Chris Bulman, for doing a fantastic Duke Nukem theme rendition for us, along with a remake of the Stalker track for E1L1. Both are fantastic and I can't wait to show them off to you guys.
Tea Monster, for exchanging some fantastic resources with me through gmail, and showing his support. It's really appreciated.
HulkNukem, for what looks like very inspired level design, and I hope, another talented contributor in the mapping realm.

Trust me, we're not upgrading, we're not getting side tracked. Everyone involved knows Gold SRC, or the Quake engine games. There's no reason for us to change. I'm not a graphics whore, and for our particular needs there is very little that Half-Life can't do. We have a particular look we're aiming for, and... Well, we're achieving that look.

This post has been edited by Commando Nukem: 14 February 2014 - 09:20 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

For what it's worth, I'd prefer GoldSrc anyway. I just like the feel of it. Source is unnecessary.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 14 February 2014 - 06:30 AM

User is offline   Loke 

Glad you're not upgrading or I'd have to throw out the map that I'm (trying) building. :blink:

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 14 February 2014 - 06:28 AM, said:

For what it's worth, I'd prefer GoldSrc anyway. I just like the feel of it. Source is unnecessary.

I agree. I prefer goldsrc as well but overall I prefer Half-Life over Half-Life 2 as well. I guess it's mostly nostalgia though.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I do enjoy Half-Life 2 more than Half-Life, but they're both amazing games. However, for this mod GoldSrc just feels right.

• Judge Mental

Trying to keep the map itself and some of the other more juicy tidbits under wraps, but here's two of the weapons ready for action for the internal alpha.

RPG test firing:

http://www.mediafire...18-34-57-83.mp4

Eagle test firing:

http://www.mediafire...19-01-03-28.mp4

NOTE: Animations will be improved with future iterations. The whole point of the alpha is to get things working, and worry about cleaning up later.

This post has been edited by Commando Nukem: 14 February 2014 - 09:23 AM

User is offline   Jblade 

Apart from the bizzare fetish that everyone on this forum seems to have about being 20 years behind the times

Sorry that not everyone has a hard-on for trying to shoe-horn modern graphics into a game that's nearly 2 decades old? We could butt heads about this all day but calling a preference for keeping the old looking of the game a 'bizarre fetish' is obnoxious. Looking new doesn't save alot of modern games from being piles of shit.

• Auramancer

View PostTea Monster, on 14 February 2014 - 04:14 AM, said:

Yeah, but if it has advanced rendering features, you'll need to construct new models and textures that take specular and normal maps into account, our there is no point in having the new renderer.

You'll have to chuck it all out and start again. It is possible to retrofit this stuff, but it never looks any good.

Very few mods make use of Xash3D's new rendering features like normal mapping, but prefer to use it because it has many extended features such as an improved parenting system, better scripting, hugely raised mapping limits, full real-time physics, etc. Over default GoldSrc.

The new renderer isn't why I brought up Xash3D, besides, an install of HL1 on it and nothing more looks exactly like the stock game. I brought it up because it helps remove some considerable engine / mapping limits that have been discussed in the very topic, and it would also remove the need for Spirit of Half-life (Which isn't being developed anymore) for things like picking up boxes and it's faux physics system.

Also, having the NVidia PhysX system (which is what Mequon eventually evolved into. Mequon -> Aegia -> NVidia) would be useful to make some really nice destruction like what was seen in places in the 2001 Trailer. (Not to mention other originally promised features. The potential is staggering.) Imagine that collapsing cliffside structure from the 1998 trailer using real-time physics, rather than a scripted event.

The particle system is also impressive:
Posted Image

I also brought it up because:

View PostCommando Nukem, on 14 February 2014 - 06:25 AM, said:

Everyone involved knows Gold SRC, or the Quake engine games.

But anywhoo... I want you guys to know clearly that I'm no graphics whore, I'd just like to see you guys not run into any roadblocks because you hit some sort of shitty limitation in stock GoldSrc. (Entity Limits, Map Size Limits, Being unable to do something otherwise important etc.) I'm also not saying to switch to Xash3D right this moment, but to keep an eye on it since it IS fully drop-and-go compatible with GoldSrc and it's mods, and is still being developed.

EDIT:

View PostLoke, on 14 February 2014 - 06:46 AM, said:

Glad you're not upgrading or I'd have to throw out the map that I'm (trying) building. :blink:

Technically you wouldn't have to. Be it Xash (preferred) or Source. Xash is fully compatible with existing HL1 mods, and Source has tools to convert everything 1:1 from GoldSrc (Also Source Hammer is almost identical to HL1 Hammer). The whole idea is just to have a less limiting base to work from, not graphics whoring. It's the same reason Quake 3 modders use IoQuake3 as a base.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 14 February 2014 - 11:57 AM

User is offline   HulkNukem 

A kickass trailer will be released hyping up absolutely everyone

And THEN an engine change will happen, but will be to the You Are Empty engine and all assets will have to be remade.

(knock on wood)

• Judge Mental

View PostHulkNukem, on 14 February 2014 - 03:34 PM, said:

A kickass trailer will be released hyping up absolutely everyone

And THEN an engine change will happen, but will be to the You Are Empty engine and all assets will have to be remade.

(knock on wood)

I believe I speak for everyone when I say

Spoiler

Posted ImagePosted Image

• Auramancer

I thought I made it clear there's no need for asset changes. It's literally the same fucking engine except pretty much better.

• Judge Mental

View PostStrikerMan780, on 14 February 2014 - 05:31 PM, said:

I thought I made it clear there's no need for asset changes. It's literally the same fucking engine except pretty much better.

Let it go, man. He was clearly making a joke. Posted Image

• Auramancer

View PostCommando Nukem, on 14 February 2014 - 05:39 PM, said:

Let it go, man. He was clearly making a joke. Posted Image

I had assumed people were just whizzing past my posts. Ie. Getting a gist of the general conversation, then reading them for 2 seconds before hitting the Reply button. It happens.

Anywhoo, apologies for my humor detector not working. Damn thing is defective sometimes... headaches, illness, and lack of meds kind of kills me in that regard sometimes. Blegh...

Still, good luck with the mod, and if you ever need anyone for Sounds I'd be more than glad to help. I'm no Strelok, but I can make some nice, high-quality gunfire sounds out of whatever you throw at me, be it out of existing game sounds, or even gunshots fired 2 miles away on a cheap outdoor mic... I can still make it sound good. I have very good ears, and I have growing talent for mixing. (I'll post some examples later if you need me to.)

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 14 February 2014 - 06:01 PM

User is offline   Loke 

@Commando Nukem: Can't remember if you've already brought this up somewhere but will the movement and jumping mechanics be any different from vanilla Half-Life? Gordon moves like a saggy 80 year old woman and dies from a 10 feet drop so I don't know how well this would transfer into the world of Duke Nukem unless you're actually going for a more realistic approach opposed to the arcadish-movement such as in DN3D.

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options