Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] DNF 2013 DLC LEVEL PACK - Duke4.net Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] DNF 2013 DLC LEVEL PACK  "3 more maps, 2 new music tracks, one new weapon!"

User is offline   NY00123 

View PostDavoX, on 06 December 2013 - 03:28 PM, said:

Heh :D

Thanks for playing man!! remember to vote for us on the moddb.com ;)

You're welcome, and already voted! (Before adding the post if you wonder.)

To those who made the level pack:

WOOOOOOW! Excellent work. I have a few issues with the first level (navigating and finding explosives for crack on the EDF wall), but overall this is incredible. I loved how the first level began with the 98 strip club, I like the 98 saucers, I loved the scale of the levels, and the way you did the motorcycle and dome levels was OVER 9000!!!

Granted, I would've liked to have seen an original boss in the dome level rather than the cycloid emperor, and not have it end with the retail version's third episode cutscene. Before the cycloid emperor appeared, I originally expected an Eduke rendition of the retail DNF Queen emerging around the perimeter of the stadium, though that probably couldn't be pulled off. However, your redo of the cycloid stadium fight was more exhilarating than the retail DNF's version, and your use of the third episode's ending was probably your way of ending it like how the retail DNF's stadium level ended.

Seeing that this was a community made expansion for mod, it's got me all a brainstorming about how I want to add more to the DNF mod. It would be great to do another DLC which includes more features from the 98 trailer and screenshots that are missing: like the Area 51 locale, the destructible wooden planks, the ant-crab aliens, the attacking helicopter, more of the strip club, walking and interacting fully-scripted NPCs of Gus and Bombshell, the rocket-powered Dr. Proton screen, the machine-gun sniper pistol, and the shoot out on the back of a moving truck. Of course, there are still elements from the 2001 version I still want to see: the gray aliens, the red chainsaw, the boat ride, some human thug enemies, and mine cart chase of that thug with an assault rifle with bats swarming around.

If could, I'd want to bring back some Rigelatins and classic techbots as enemies and boss fights. I'd want to find a way to bring in Dr. Proton, and make him more interesting than the fight with him in retail DNF DLC. Something more varied besides the classic hoverchair fight... Could always use the different Robotnic boss fights from Sonic for inspiration.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostFlying Techbot, on 08 December 2013 - 01:34 AM, said:

To those who made the level pack:

WOOOOOOW! Excellent work. I have a few issues with the first level (navigating and finding explosives for crack on the EDF wall), but overall this is incredible. I loved how the first level began with the 98 strip club, I like the 98 saucers, I loved the scale of the levels, and the way you did the motorcycle and dome levels was OVER 9000!!!

Granted, I would've liked to have seen an original boss in the dome level rather than the cycloid emperor, and not have it end with the retail version's third episode cutscene. Before the cycloid emperor appeared, I originally expected an Eduke rendition of the retail DNF Queen emerging around the perimeter of the stadium, though that probably couldn't be pulled off. However, your redo of the cycloid stadium fight was more exhilarating than the retail DNF's version, and your use of the third episode's ending was probably your way of ending it like how the retail DNF's stadium level ended.

Seeing that this was a community made expansion for mod, it's got me all a brainstorming about how I want to add more to the DNF mod. It would be great to do another DLC which includes more features from the 98 trailer and screenshots that are missing: like the Area 51 locale, the destructible wooden planks, the ant-crab aliens, the attacking helicopter, more of the strip club, walking and interacting fully-scripted NPCs of Gus and Bombshell, the rocket-powered Dr. Proton screen, the machine-gun sniper pistol, and the shoot out on the back of a moving truck. Of course, there are still elements from the 2001 version I still want to see: the gray aliens, the red chainsaw, the boat ride, some human thug enemies, and mine cart chase of that thug with an assault rifle with bats swarming around.

If could, I'd want to bring back some Rigelatins and classic techbots as enemies and boss fights. I'd want to find a way to bring in Dr. Proton, and make him more interesting than the fight with him in retail DNF DLC. Something more varied besides the classic hoverchair fight... Could always use the different Robotnic boss fights from Sonic for inspiration.

Glad you enjoyed the episode. Being a community DLC pack we tried to do the best we could without really adding any coding/artwork. Bosses are very complex things to do if making a new one. We then used the episode 3 ending because we figured that it would be better than no ending at all and would probably get a spark of nostalgia too.

However with your last two paragraphs, when you used phrases like "how I want to add more to the DNF mod" "and those other "I's and I'ds" you really mean "the developers of the mod" eh? Don't worry, if you've checked moddb you'd see that Gambini is well aware of all those obscure screenshots and videos, and has hinted that he has some behind-the-scenes info that the general community doesn't know. If or when he decides to make some new content for this mod rest assured it will have lots of new references, but he'll do it his own way. There is no shortage of ideas.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 08 December 2013 - 03:09 AM

View PostMicky C, on 08 December 2013 - 03:07 AM, said:

Glad you enjoyed the episode. Being a community DLC pack we tried to do the best we could without really adding any coding/artwork. Bosses are very complex things to do if making a new one. We then used the episode 3 ending because we figured that it would be better than no ending at all and would probably get a spark of nostalgia too.

However with your last two paragraphs, when you used phrases like "how I want to add more to the DNF mod" "and those other "I's and I'ds" you really mean "the developers of the mod" eh? Don't worry, if you've checked moddb you'd see that Gambini is well aware of all those obscure screenshots and videos, and has hinted that he has some behind-the-scenes info that the general community doesn't know. If or when he decides to make some new content for this mod rest assured it will have lots of new references, but he'll do it his own way. There is no shortage of ideas.

I feel embarassed about that last paragraph. Sorry about the "what I would do" phrases. What I was trying to say was that I wanted to do those things if I were to do my own DLC for DNF 2013 like you did, because I found your DLC to be awe-inspiring. I mean, I hope that I would be allowed to a do a DLC.... but then I'm not a modder, so I shouldn't say such upstart things like I have. If Gambini does continue to embellish his DNF mod, I will be jumping up and down with excitement. His mod and your DLCs are some the happiest experiences I've had. He released his mod near by birthday, and you released your DLC near Christmas. It makes me as happy as a little boy playing the full versions of Duke Nukem 1, 2, and 3D those many years ago.

User is offline   Gambini 

View PostFlying Techbot, on 08 December 2013 - 08:33 PM, said:

IIf Gambini does continue to embellish his DNF mod, I will be jumping up and down with excitement. His mod and your DLCs are some the happiest experiences I've had. He released his mod near by birthday, and you released your DLC near Christmas.

Correction! Gambini couldn´t have made it alone. He leaded the team but it was a co-work with Mikko Sandt, and even so they couldn´t have achieved many of those things without the help of Lezing and Deeperthough.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Would it be incorrect to make a vanilla version of the stadium map and release it on Megaton? What do you guys think?

User is offline   MetHy 

Depends on much is changed really. If not much is changed that'd be fine, and you could always advertise the episode in the description with links to download and installation instruction for eduke32.

However iirc it uses TROR so that means a LOT would be changed, I don't see the point of making a very dubbed down version of a map. I used Sex City standalone on Megaton to advertise Metropolitan Mayhem but the map is fine on its own and it didn't need any changing.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

View PostMetHy, on 30 December 2013 - 05:50 AM, said:

Depends on much is changed really. If not much is changed that'd be fine, and you could always advertise the episode in the description with links to download and installation instruction for eduke32.

However iirc it uses TROR so that means a LOT would be changed, I don't see the point of making a very dubbed down version of a map. I used Sex City standalone on Megaton to advertise Metropolitan Mayhem but the map is fine on its own and it didn't need any changing.

Well the whole map is fine, but I had to really decrease the quality of the stadium arena. Most of the fixes I had to do to the map were about textures which were only a few anyway.

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

I'd say: Go for it :wub:

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Done, if anyone wants to check it out do it :wub:. I'm aware there are several glitches and bugs... but that can't be helped really.

User is offline   MetHy 

You rushed it and forgot to put any item (health or ammo) in the boss area at the end. That last area isn't badly designed but the whole thing (both in terms of looks and gameplay) is MUCH worse than the original one.

Edit : To be honest you COULD have mimicked the original map's time-based respawns before the boss appears. There is a trick to it involving monsters first spawning in a far away corridor with the ground moving forward and a one-way teleporter at the end, I believe that's how MRCK did it in his stadium map.

Also I got crushed between the wall and the boxes when going to get the red key.
Also the feet of the pool table in the bar area seem too short..
Also near the sauna area I was able to piss in the toilets through the door but that seems to be a common problem (it can happen a map of mine too)

It plays fine on its own really but it was much better in the DNF mod of course.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 30 December 2013 - 12:10 PM

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Thanks for the comments, I'll go back to it and see what I can do.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

View PostMetHy, on 30 December 2013 - 12:00 PM, said:

You rushed it and forgot to put any item (health or ammo) in the boss area at the end. That last area isn't badly designed but the whole thing (both in terms of looks and gameplay) is MUCH worse than the original one.

Edit : To be honest you COULD have mimicked the original map's time-based respawns before the boss appears. There is a trick to it involving monsters first spawning in a far away corridor with the ground moving forward and a one-way teleporter at the end, I believe that's how MRCK did it in his stadium map.

Also I got crushed between the wall and the boxes when going to get the red key.
Also the feet of the pool table in the bar area seem too short..
Also near the sauna area I was able to piss in the toilets through the door but that seems to be a common problem (it can happen a map of mine too)

It plays fine on its own really but it was much better in the DNF mod of course.

So I went back and added the timed events on the stadium again, the lights going up, the cycloid appearing from the sky etc... it was easy fortunately :wub:

fixed the crushing on the wall but didn't bother to fix anything else :D

User is offline   Jblade 

When I first crossed the bridge in the bikeride map I saw something fly by in the sky and thought "...what the fuck was that, did I imagine it?" I went back and saw something that looked like Goku, and I finally took a look in build to see what it was. That's certainly something :D

This post has been edited by James: 14 January 2014 - 01:11 AM

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Heh, I'm glad you liked it :D

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostJames, on 14 January 2014 - 01:10 AM, said:

I went back and saw something that looked like Goku...

Attached Image: duke0002.png

I think it looks like Goku but pasted with duke(?)'s or someone's face...

I already taken this screenshot in the same play run when I was posted screenshots about secret area in this topic, but I just lazy to post this one. :D

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 14 January 2014 - 10:10 AM

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Well I couldn't add new art so I made it myself out of different sprites :D

User is offline   Rhaisher 

After completing the DLC several times and having found the Shrinker (finally) a doubt popped up in my mind... isn't the Expander ammo located inside the UFO supposed to be Shrinker orbs? I'm asking because the Expander looks out of place, I mean, its shooting animation is glitched. It usually looks like DN3D Expander but when fired; it then looks like DNF2013 Shrinker.

• Honored Donor

Yeah now that I think about it I never actually tried the expander in my map. Maybe if gambini ever finds a coder and starts working on an update they can add fixing the expander to the todo list.

The expander shouldn´t be available. We didn´t plan to use it and I wasn´t aware you added it. If we get to work on an update there are like three billion things with higher priority than that.

• Honored Donor

In that case the expander ammo in the UFO can simply be replaced by something else. Btw I hope people liked the UFO and pressed the button, I don't think that has ever been done in Duke 3D before, and it's all using vanilla Duke effects Posted Image

• Honored Donor

Btw Davox I discovered by why when you detonate explosives near the treadmills in your Stadium map, it spawns loads of glass shards (which sometimes crash the game due to exceeding the sprite limit); you've got the mirror texture assigned to the masked/1sided wall space for all the treadmill walls, and the explosives are "breaking the mirrors". So that's another thing to change in a potential future update.

It's actually a really cool trick to cause glass shards to spawn from explosions in the vanilla game. I'd like to see people start using it.

This post has been edited by Plain Simple Garek: 26 January 2014 - 05:02 AM

Everybody knew about that bug i think. What nobody knew was what was causing it. Good catch!

• Honored Donor

Yeah when I was working on one of my own maps, there were some explosions near glass, and I thought "hmm there's a lot more shards then there should be". I originally suspected that the extra walls had the glass texture but discovered it was actually the mirror texture. Since it had no negative side effects (e.g it didn't block or reflect shrinker shots) I decided to leave it in because it looks cool Posted Image

I immediately remembered the bug in Davox's map and discovered it was the same issue.

Another common problem is when vending machine or screen textures are applied to hidden walls (walls of sectors with the same heights).

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

This is a Gameplay of my map "Time to kick ass" or "The ultimate stadium remake". The last map on this DLC, With commentaries on the subtitles, so you guys know how I've made it :D I hope you like it!

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options