Duke4.net Forums: What are the most controversial opinions you hold about video games? - Duke4.net Forums

• 15 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are the most controversial opinions you hold about video games?

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

I don't even know why someone would even question Daggerfall being the best TES.

Morrowind started a massive downfall from which the series has yet to be recovered. Additionally both Redguard and Battlespire were both decent games.

User is offline   Bloodshot 

I will say even though morrowind was much smaller and I don't like it as much as daggerfall, at least it actually made sense.

They used the advantage of having to make a smaller world to its fullest and made tons of interesting things in that game. unlike oblivion where they copy pasted the landscape and skyrim where everything is so dumbed down it might actually make you dumber just by playing it.

My god, oblivion had a lot of issues (and potato faces) but at least it had decent writing and good quests. Skyrim is just one large ham-fisted slap in the face to fans of the series. Dragons are like the most generic fantasy shit ever, and they went and made a whole fucking game revolving around them and some stupid fucking dragon language, and then instead of hiring decent writers (they got the thief writers for oblivion's thieves guild for example) they write the game themselves which made a bad concept even worse.

This post has been edited by Bloodshot: 27 November 2013 - 07:09 PM

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

If I had to choose between Half-Life 3 or FreeSpace 3 coming out, I'd choose FreeSpace.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostEmerica, on 27 November 2013 - 04:58 PM, said:

- Don't get ROTT either. I know there was supposed to be some charm in its cheesiness, but it just didn't win me over.

this and Hexen. i've played all the way through them, but they left no impression on me.
I think it may have to do with the lack of protagonist talk; even Blood and Redneck Rampage were more memorable for me. Seems like they had more character

ROTT is just painfully average.

I'm probably the only one here who enjoyed hexen :/

Though to be fair I thought Hexen 2 was a much better game

User is offline   Forge 

i don't "hate" hexen
the level layouts and details were okay, the weapons and enemies were okay, there was just something about the way the game played that made it dull for me.

... and i like heretic

ROTT had simple levels with mediocre combat. Wolfenstein 3D was more fun for me than this

This post has been edited by Forge: 27 November 2013 - 09:45 PM

User is offline   ---- 

Oh, forgot this one:

- Quake Arena's multiplayer is about going from one very, very short firefight to the next in no time, while UT is about the firefights.

Unreal 2 was a pretty fun game, while it could be fairly generic at times compared to the original it wasn't as bad as people say.

It gets a surprising amount of shit considering that there are a lot of games that are way worse

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I couldn't bring myself to keep playing it. It was just incredibly uninteresting. Nothing grabbed me. However, that shouldn't have stopped me from playing because I also played through Elite Force II and Quake 4.

User is offline   Kathy 

Btw, I don't understand the appeal of Quake 2 SP campaign. I get the feeling that's an unpopular opinion so can someone enlighten me?

This post has been edited by Kathy: 28 November 2013 - 12:49 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I don't understand the appeal of the entire game.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 29 November 2013 - 07:37 AM

View PostKathy, on 28 November 2013 - 12:48 PM, said:

Btw, I don't understand the appeal of Quake 2 SP campaign. I get the feeling that's an unpopular opinion so can someone enlighten me?

I cannot either. I tried playing Q2 again recently and could barely get past the second level, and even in Coop both I and my friend ended up quitting a couple of levels in. It just felt so repetitive and monotonous (and orange) that even the satisfying double barrel didn't help me enjoy it.

This post has been edited by Bloodshot: 28 November 2013 - 05:21 PM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

I found it fun and that's good enough for me.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

I didn't even like the first Quake.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

HeXen was rushed out the door. That is why it is a weak game.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostKathy, on 28 November 2013 - 12:48 PM, said:

i've played all the way through quake & quake 2
i barely remember anything about the levels in quake and i remember the nail gun. that's about it
the only thing i remember about quake 2 in the needler gun and something about walking around in mine shafts

so a couple more games that didn't really leave a big impression on me. i don't hate them, but they're not games i'm in any hurry to go back and play again

i might get around to digging out my unreal gold disk and playing the main campaign and the Return to Na Pali expansion

User is offline   CruX 

I liked Quake 2 okay. The action is a bit faster than Unreal and the weapons didn't feel quite as stiff, albeit the bad guys in Unreal delivered far more of a challenge. I will say that one of my favorite things about Quake 2 were the enemy concepts. The Strogg were bad ass, especially those Tanks. However, after having picked up and played SiN per Viper's praises, I've gotta concur: it blows everything else from that time frame out of the water. It's got the pacing of a Quake title with the challenge of Unreal, the bells and whistles of a Deus Ex game and the funky aesthetics of Serious Sam.

Something I forgot to mention in my other post; I don't get the Metal Gear series. At all. I didn't even particularly like Metal Gear Solid.

An absolutely brilliant stealth game that I don't see mentioned anywhere near enough? Manhunt. Everything about that game is executed almost perfectly. Interesting plot, good characterization, dark, gritty environment that flawlessly compliments the game's theme, gameplay that's reliant but not totally hinging on stealth...I could go on, but I think I'll just go play it instead.

User is offline   Stabs 

Lots of games back then were all driven by technical advancements like quake 2 and its colored lighting system, that's what sold it. you had to be there at the time to appreciate them i guess, and also played the MP at its height I spent so many hours in q2dm1, handled lag so much better than quake 1 on dial up.

Maybe it's just me then. I was impressed with it visually but I just found the enemies very repetitive and even though I liked Quake 1, I was already annoyed by how so many levels had areas that were just variations of the same colors, and I also didn't like the base levels in Quake 1 at all (aside from E1M1) - which is what Q2 was made up of entirely.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostDanM, on 02 December 2013 - 06:50 AM, said:

Lots of games back then were all driven by technical advancements like quake 2 and its colored lighting system, that's what sold it. you had to be there at the time to appreciate them i guess, and also played the MP at its height I spent so many hours in q2dm1, handled lag so much better than quake 1 on dial up.

I was there. But never had 3d-graphics card then to appreciate it. Weren't they sort of expensive back then?

User is offline   Stabs 

Yeah but GPU's have always been pricey, top of the line ones anyway. My first GPU was some time after half-life a TNT2 M64 although had seen many GPUs running at LANS and on friends PC's prior. Just running with descent framerate at 1024x768 was a huge leap in itself.

User is offline   Kathy 

I was on S3 Virge until 2004 if I'm not mistaken.

User is offline   Stabs 

owning a s3 card is a rite of passage

View PostKathy, on 02 December 2013 - 09:21 AM, said:

I was on S3 Virge until 2004 if I'm not mistaken.

Holy shit.

View PostDanM, on 02 December 2013 - 11:00 AM, said:

owning a s3 card is a rite of passage

They're great for 2D stuff. It's my go to card for DOS games. Nothing else is as compatible, save for maybe the old Voodoo Banshee. But you can get Virge's for like five bucks off eBay.

They're fucking awful for 3D though. I love that "ViRGE Enhanced" version of Descent II. How the fuck is 15fps "enhanced?!"

This post has been edited by Dial V for Viper: 02 December 2013 - 12:11 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

Yeah, I played lots of Duke Nukem 3d maps back then.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

I'm more excited for Max the Revenger and Duke Nukem Reloaded than any other game in the industry.

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostRadar, on 02 December 2013 - 05:35 PM, said:

I'm more excited for Max the Revenger and Duke Nukem Reloaded than any other game in the industry.

Posted Image

User is offline   Stabs 

achievements, I am starting to think they are a form of tracking/marketing data given how public they are for games publishers to find out how much of a game they DON'T have to make next time based on how many people bother to complete parts of a game.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostDanM, on 03 December 2013 - 06:50 AM, said:

achievements, I am starting to think they are a form of tracking/marketing data given how public they are for games publishers to find out how much of a game they DON'T have to make next time based on how many people bother to complete parts of a game.

Achievements will be the NSA's next method of tracking your every move.

Share this topic:

• 15 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options