Duke4.net Forums: What are the most controversial opinions you hold about video games? - Duke4.net Forums

• 15 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are the most controversial opinions you hold about video games?

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostKathy, on 11 December 2013 - 12:26 PM, said:

Okay, that was completely unnecessary.

Why do you support bigotry? Frankly, I'm offended that you don't want to join in the fight against injustice. You live in Russia! I'm not drinking vodka ever again.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

is this banter some kind of reference to a controversial video game?

http://en.wikipedia....28video_game%29

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostForge, on 11 December 2013 - 12:39 PM, said:

is this banter some kind of reference to a controversial video game?

http://en.wikipedia....28video_game%29

Nice save.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Jimmy, Viper, I'm so happy for you guys. I see your hearts have been renewed. I was starting to feel very offended by the way the forum was going and thought about leaving, but it looks like it's back on track now. Kudos to your repentance.

Kathy, Comrade, what the heck? Everybody was complaining about the Jew jokes and wanted them to stop, but now when they try to apologize, it's deemed "unnecessary" and they need to "man up"? Pick a side and stick to it.

This post has been edited by Radar: 11 December 2013 - 03:51 PM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Edited: Even I can't be that insulting. Honestly, I thought they were just being sarcastic.

This post has been edited by Comrade Major: 11 December 2013 - 03:59 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostRadar, on 11 December 2013 - 03:50 PM, said:

Kathy, Comrade, what the heck? Everybody was complaining about the Jew jokes and wanted them to stop, but now when they try to apologize, it's deemed "unnecessary" and they need to "man up"? Pick a side and stick to it.

Posted Image

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

View PostComrade Major, on 11 December 2013 - 03:58 PM, said:

Edited: Even I can't be that insulting. Honestly, I thought they were just being sarcastic.

It's real. Viper even sent me a letter in the mail apologizing for calling me furry, autistic, gay, and an aspie. A thorough and heartfelt two pager.

View PostDustFalcon85, on 11 November 2013 - 06:49 AM, said:

>Donkey Kong Country SNES trilogy is much better than the Super Mario Bros series. When Rareware was at it's finest.

Agreed.

>Halo ruined the FPS genre and gaming forever by introducing regen health, two-weapon limit, linear levels, checkpoints, and no cheats in the world of gaming.

THIS! People are always on CoD's case but Halo was the first. I hated it when I first got it back in 2002 or whatever.

>Will SgtMarkIV make a Brutal Duke in the future? :wub:

Duke Plus. It is Brutal Duke. Sure D+ doesn't have all the gore but that is minor. All it's really missing is aim down the sights (gimme!).

Anyway:

Duke & Doom> Half-Life

Return to Castle Wolfenstien is a great FPS that needs it's own Brutal/Plus gameplay mod.

Not enough people embrace challenge and rely too much on their quicksaves. Try my Deus Ex mod: http://www.moddb.com/mods/gmdx

Modern gamer's opinions irritate me, as do most "professional" critic's. Reading this thread I have disagreed with things said but none got on my tits.

The industry has gone to shit in terms of quality and design, despite flourishing more than ever.

Wolfenstien (2009) was a great but highly flawed FPS.

Deus Ex and System Shock 2> Everything else.

JRPG's, whilst some being absolutely amazing, need to evolve (in the right direction) as it's been years and not enough innovation.

Duke 3D has exceptional level design, and the PS1 soundtrack is a masterpiece.

I get irritated that gameplay enhancing mods are rather rare compared to other types of mods and think there are too many graphics whores out there.

People who create or download nude mods are of questionable sanity and a waste of potential talent. Perhaps I am missing the point but I really don't think so.

Console games on average remained tough as nails even up till 2005 or so, whilst PC games lost the ability to offer a real challenge in the early 90's because of unlimited portable checkpoints (quicksave). This is not the rule though. Some console games had save anywhere and some PC games had a restrictive save system by design back then. Also this is disregarding intellectual challenge, which I'd say on average PC games offer more of.

Opinions are like assholes, everyone wants mine. :D

This post has been edited by Gameplay Nut: 17 December 2013 - 05:07 AM

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

I love Deus Ex so much. The Nameless Mod is one of the greatest games ever made. If I had money I would hire a team to rewrite the dialog in Deus Ex: Nihilum, and I'd also get better voice actors. It was great but so flawed.

I wish other series could give me the enjoyment Deus Ex and Mass Effect can. Unfortunately, that entire "total control of everything" philosophy is really hard to nail down, and expensive to produce.

User is offline   Malgon 

^Damn, you just reminded me that I have to get around to playing TNM one day! Hell, it'll have to follow a replay of Deus Ex first as it's been over 10 years since I've played that!

Don't "get around to it," do it. TNM is really one of the finest games I've ever played. The amount of depth is awesome, and it actually improves on Deus Ex in many key areas, including combat, map size, weapon count, in world props, voice acting, and a whole bunch of other stuff. Deus Ex is still better though. But TNM has it's own charm - the world is huge, but cozy and homely. Everyone knows each other and cares deeply. The world is really well fleshed out, there's over 100 items in the world, from CD's lying on people's desks, to video games on people's computers, interactive radios, IRC clients that help expose the plot, and a stage where you have to poke through logs and emails in a DOS prompt to gain administrator access to override a system. Yes, you actually use DOS commands. I'm still leaving stuff out, the game is dripping with content.

There are more weapons in TNM than any other FPS I've every played, and they are all very unique, which is even more impressive. Some are awesome easter egg one offs like The Daikatana, which has John Romero engraved on the handle. It"looks really uncomfortable to hold," and deals massive damage to your chest whenever you swing it (And the swing looks cumbersome as fuck).

It has two story paths (good/evil), multiple endings (including a secret ending), TONS of easter eggs, sidequests, a massive overworld, and about 24 hours worth of gameplay.

The level design is God tier. It's seriously some of the best out there. The Old Server Complex is one of my all time favorite FPS maps. It took me three hours to get through it, and around every corner was a new challenge. The end point is one of my favorite game moments. It's cool as fuck and I've never seen any game try to pull that off, it was pure cyberpunk bad ass and really unique. It's the high point of the entire game, which is already the tits.

TNM's only big flaw is that it takes a couple hours to really get into the world. It's pretty meta, but it's exceptionally well put together and after a couple hours of exploring it's totally convincing.

This post has been edited by Dial V for Viper: 20 December 2013 - 10:56 PM

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Yep! TNM is an absurd accomplishment. The amount of depth, reactivity and quest variety is astonishing for any game, let alone a mod. Definitely check it out.

User is offline   Bloodshot 

I think the doom/quake 1 styled health representation of having a face that gets bloodier is better than just having numbers in the corner of a screen.

Once you play one of the games for a while you get acclimated to what health level each face is associated and can basically figure out your health with only your peripheral vision which is great for not distracting you in multiplay.

User is offline   Martin 

Great thread! Here's my two cents.

-The fifth generation of consoles was the greatest one of all. It was the last hoorah of an era where each competing console was seriously diofferent to it's competitors. These days, there's naught but trivial differences between consoles. This started with the sixth generation, but ah.. the SEGA Saturn.. the Nintendo 64 (my favorite console of all time)... and the original PlayStation. Such amazing consoles, each with pretty unique libraries, showing off what each machine could do.

The Saturn being the 2D powerhouse, with surprising polygonal-quality in the right hands (check out Burning Rangers). Street Fighter and other 2D arcade conversions were incredible on this machine, and due to SEGA's domination in the arcade industry of that time, the Saturn often also saw ports of many 3D arcade games it was less suited to. I have very fond memories of playing Virtua Cop at a friend's house. I was so jealous I couldn't get it on PlayStation (later releaved by the awesome PSone port of Time Crisis!). SEGA's arcade peripherals were also very good. Come to think of it, the Saturn had a lot of quality extras like the lightgun, the NiGHTS controller (basically a prototype Dreamcast controller) and the arcade racing wheel for SEGA Rally.

The N64 being a revelation in 3D control, with amazing graphics at the time. Nintendo were slated for sticking with cartridges, but I'm glad they did. Sure it made the games really expensive, and of course the meager storage capacities of the carts were a big challenge, but the disc drives of the mid-90s weren't all that. Nintendo and others capitalized on this as much as humanly possible, and later on in the console's life the limited storage space of the carts was being circumvented by clever developers anyway, in addition to using the carts as slow RAM, amongst other tricks. Had it gone with CD-ROMs, I don't think games like Zelda or GoldenEye would have been possible. As of today, it also makes the machine a delight to own and collect for, since cartridges are more robust to wear and tear and general ageing compared to CDs. 15 year-old PSone or Saturn discs are usually replete with scratches and such.

Then of course, the venerable PlayStation. Sony got it right first time. It had good 3D performance for the time (better than Saturn, not as good as N64), and could hold its own in the 2D sprite realm. I think this was crucial to the PlayStation's success, the fact that it produced better 3D graphics than its rival Saturn at launch (N64 wouldn't be available for a year or so). This was the dawn of the polygon era in gaming, and that's what people wanted to see. Out of the three consoles in question, this was the one you were most likely to have sitting under your television (at least here in the UK). This was without a doubt the most popular of the three, worldwide. This earned it an absolutely massive game library. If you had a PSone, you had a lot of software to choose from!

All three machines have examples of truly groundbreaking games, which were very different to each other. There's literally no point in owning a 360 and PS3, or Xbox One and PS4. They're just too similar. You weren't getting anything like Majora's Mask on PSone. Just wasn't possible. Likewise, you weren't getting anything like Final Fantasy VII on N64. Just wasn't possible. What a great time to be a gamer.

View PostMartin, on 23 December 2013 - 10:27 AM, said:

Great thread! Here's my two cents.

-The fifth generation of consoles was the greatest one of all. It was the last hoorah of an era where each competing console was seriously diofferent to it's competitors. These days, there's naught but trivial differences between consoles. This started with the sixth generation, but ah.. the SEGA Saturn.. the Nintendo 64 (my favorite console of all time)... and the original PlayStation. Such amazing consoles, each with pretty unique libraries, showing off what each machine could do.

PlayStation?
Posted Image
Fifth Gen is horribly underrated though.

The Saturn being the 2D powerhouse, with surprising polygonal-quality in the right hands (check out Burning Rangers). Street Fighter and other 2D arcade conversions were incredible on this machine, and due to SEGA's domination in the arcade industry of that time, the Saturn often also saw ports of many 3D arcade games it was less suited to. I have very fond memories of playing Virtua Cop at a friend's house. I was so jealous I couldn't get it on PlayStation (later releaved by the awesome PSone port of Time Crisis!). SEGA's arcade peripherals were also very good. Come to think of it, the Saturn had a lot of quality extras like the lightgun, the NiGHTS controller (basically a prototype Dreamcast controller) and the arcade racing wheel for SEGA Rally.

Most underrated system ever. The new power supply came for mine in the mail today. I can't wait to install it. Daddy needs his Capcom fighters.

Saturn games aged better than any other fifth gen system, due to Sega's superior programmers and designers for the 3D games, and better hardware for 2D stuff. Speaking of better hardware...the Model 2 controller. HOLY SHIT IT'S THE GREATEST CONTROLLER EVER MADE.

It's also insanely expensive to collect for - only the Neo Geo AES is pricier.

The N64 being a revelation in 3D control, with amazing graphics at the time. Nintendo were slated for sticking with cartridges, but I'm glad they did. Sure it made the games really expensive, and of course the meager storage capacities of the carts were a big challenge, but the disc drives of the mid-90s weren't all that. Nintendo and others capitalized on this as much as humanly possible, and later on in the console's life the limited storage space of the carts was being circumvented by clever developers anyway, in addition to using the carts as slow RAM, amongst other tricks. Had it gone with CD-ROMs, I don't think games like Zelda or GoldenEye would have been possible. As of today, it also makes the machine a delight to own and collect for, since cartridges are more robust to wear and tear and general ageing compared to CDs. 15 year-old PSone or Saturn discs are usually replete with scratches and such.

Best Nintendo system ever. They were at their creative peak and the hardware, despite being crippled and annoying to work with, was much better for 3D. It was my fifth generation choice back in the day. Only the Genesis and Dreamcast are better.

I absolutely cherish mine. It's the only system not made by Sega I've ever exalted.

Then of course, the venerable PlayStation. Sony got it right first time. It had good 3D performance for the time (better than Saturn, not as good as N64), and could hold its own in the 2D sprite realm. I think this was crucial to the PlayStation's success, the fact that it produced better 3D graphics than its rival Saturn at launch (N64 wouldn't be available for a year or so). This was the dawn of the polygon era in gaming, and that's what people wanted to see. Out of the three consoles in question, this was the one you were most likely to have sitting under your television (at least here in the UK). This was without a doubt the most popular of the three, worldwide. This earned it an absolutely massive game library. If you had a PSone, you had a lot of software to choose from!

Fuck the PlayStation. It's 3D games are utter crap and the 2D titles can't hold their own, with the exception of that Castlevania game that got a botched Saturn port.

Comparing 2D games is painful between the two. The PlayStations weak sprite capabilities and non upgradeable RAM fucked it hard. You can't even tag team on the Capcom VS. games!

I loved it at the time, despite not owning one in it's heyday. Now, it's dogshit. The games have aged horribly. The reverse happened with the Saturn - hated it when young, revered it when old.

Also, the controller is shit.

All three machines have examples of truly groundbreaking games, which were very different to each other. There's literally no point in owning a 360 and PS3, or Xbox One and PS4. They're just too similar. You weren't getting anything like Majora's Mask on PSone. Just wasn't possible. Likewise, you weren't getting anything like Final Fantasy VII on N64. Just wasn't possible. What a great time to be a gamer.

This I can agree with. All three fifth gen systems are unique. PS1 has the most variety. N64 has the most groundbreaking titles. Saturn is the best system for hardcore gamers with a ton of cash to burn. It was 2D gaming's last hurrah.

This post has been edited by Dial V for Viper: 23 December 2013 - 04:38 PM

User is offline   Bloodshot 

Fuck all the consoles, the Amiga a500 was the best :wub:

Too bad only three Amigas were sold in the US. It could have been something cool.

I wish Bandai would use the engine of their Dragonball games to make photorealistic Dragonball games. Scrap the cel-shaded, anime look, and go for hyperrealism. I want to be able to count the hair on Goku's head, follow the green bark cracks on Piccolo's arms (yeah, Namekians are part plant), see muscles flex under the skin, see their costumes progressively get dirtier and rip apart during a fight. And I want to do all that in glorious HD 3D.

I enjoyed DNF, because it's still more fun than any random Call Of Duty game. I am also convinced that, had it come out with a level editor, it would have been the game of the decade, in spite of the perceived flaws, because people would be making levels that rectify them.

I wish a Turrican first-person shooter would come out for PC.

I wish Nintendo made a photorealistic sandbox Mario game based on the movie, where you freely roam Dinohattan doing missions against King Koopa (or for him, if you so desire) using items like the Velox-Shoes and the devolvers.

I like the Flashback remake a lot better than the original. The controls of the original are so laggy that it's frustrating to see the player character fall, jump too late or not at all, shoot too late or not at all, or fail at acknowledging an input so many times. Were the original Flashback done today, it would not qualify as sellable because the controls are, quite frankly, broken. And the original doesn't have a map, which too often leads to getting lost and ragequitting.

I wholeheartedly loathe Steam, Origin, and in general any DRM system that forces you to be online, even just for a single moment, during the installation or when you are actually playing.

I appreciate the effort (although not the result) of TMNT: Out Of The Shadows, to set itself up as the most graphically advanced Ninja Turtles game of all time. Shame it had to be so riddled with bugs. In fact, I would like the Nickelodeon TMNT series a lot better if it had the same graphical style as the game, as opposed to the cartoonish look it actually has. Why have so many original ideas on the story, if they are going to be wasted with a graphical style that looks like the first 3ds Max experiments of a warez monkey who downloaded it off Bittorrent?

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 30 December 2013 - 05:40 PM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Any COD game is better than DNF, and that's pretty serious coming from me. A level editor would not have saved it.
Also Steam is the best thing in the world and your a dick if you don't use it, even Kathy has finally woken up and smelled the coffee.

This post has been edited by The Commander: 30 December 2013 - 07:03 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostAltered Reality, on 30 December 2013 - 05:32 PM, said:

I wholeheartedly loathe Steam, Origin, and in general any DRM system that forces you to be online, even just for a single moment, during the installation or when you are actually playing.

:wub:

View PostThe Commander, on 30 December 2013 - 07:02 PM, said:

Also Steam is the best thing in the world and your a dick if you don't use it, even Kathy has finally woken up and smelled the coffee.

Not really. I decided to make an exception for one game which understandably had a community feature impossible without online service.

View PostThe Commander, on 30 December 2013 - 07:02 PM, said:

If by coffee you mean testicles.

My testicles.

This post has been edited by Dial V for Viper: 30 December 2013 - 07:20 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

No, DNF is still better than CoD. CoD made me physically angry when I played it. I actually enjoyed sections of DNF which were more interesting than any of CoD's.

User is offline   Kathy 

What CoD exactly?

I prefer the WW2 CoD games over the new zombie infested bullshit.

User is offline   Kathy 

They have zombies also in campaign now?

No, but the campaigns have turned to shit since its become all about the mp and zombies.

View PostThe Commander, on 31 December 2013 - 06:27 AM, said:

I prefer the WW2 CoD games over the new zombie infested bullshit.

I've hated Call Of Duty since the WW2 games, and when their competitor was Medal Of Honor, I hated that too. Do you remember the shitload of WW2 games that flooded the market in 2002 or so? I used to say that the only way to make me like a WW2 game would be a singleplayer campaign where the player character is sided with the Nazis.

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 31 December 2013 - 09:05 AM

View PostAltered Reality, on 31 December 2013 - 09:02 AM, said:

I used to say that the only way to make me like a WW2 game would be a singleplayer campaign where the player character is sided with the Nazis.

Even though the SP was pretty much the same thing each level. :wub:

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Day of Defeat was fun. The only fun WW2 game I've played.

I bought DOD:Source but I never played it online to be honest, doesn't feel the same just like the days of old school Counter Strike and TF.

Share this topic:

• 15 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options