Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] Duke Nukem 64 Mod - Duke4.net Forums

• 14 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] Duke Nukem 64 Mod

I can. What you've described happened to me as well.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

OK, I guess this means testing old EDuke32 snapshots to find out which of them broke this...

It seems Eduke32 builds 6526 and higher seem to break it.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Great! So it was introduced quite recently. Hopefully the coding guys can take a look.

User is offline   Malgon 

I played this for the first time over a few sessions in the past week and I have to say it's been pretty fun. It's quite neat to see all the changes that were made to the levels due to censorship reasons, and it was fresh to explore some new areas. I quite liked some of the additional areas, with Movie Set being a good one, as it was more fleshed out on the whole, and someone mentioned earlier about preferring this version of Rabid Transit over the original, which I would have to agree with. It may not have been as complex in regards to the way the train operated, but the expansion to the level helped to make it more interesting to go through. The only change that really threw me was trying to get the yellow key card on Flood Zone, where I had to resort to a walkthrough. The flow of the levels had a few little surprises.

Some of the weapon changes were quite cool too, as the the feel and usage was different, although it did take a bit of getting used to after so many years of the originals. I could be imagining it, but the pistol seemed like it had a bit more damage to it, which made it feel more satisfying to use, although the screen shake could have contributed to the weapon seeming to have more kick. I actually quite enjoyed the use of alternate dumdum rounds for it, same with the explosive shells for shotgun which was quite handy in many spots. The loss of the Devastator was a bit sad though. The grenade launcher took a bit to really get the feel of using it in the right situations, but once I did there were plenty of good spots where it really came to the fore.

Overall it was cool to see how it differed to the original, and overall I have to say I quite liked it. It had a different flavour and it was refreshing to play through and see all the familiar parts mixed in with something new. Thanks to all involved in putting this together!

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Index: source/duke3d/src/actors.cpp
===================================================================
--- source/duke3d/src/actors.cpp    (revision 6525)
+++ source/duke3d/src/actors.cpp    (revision 6527)
@@ -8225,7 +8225,7 @@
 #endif
 }

-static void G_DoEventGame(int nEventID)
+static void G_DoEventGame(int const nEventID)
 {
     if (VM_HaveEvent(nEventID))
     {
@@ -8254,6 +8254,18 @@
         }
         while (statNum < MAXSTATUS);
     }
+
+    int spriteNum = headspritestat[0];
+
+    while (spriteNum >= 0)
+    {
+        int const nextSprite = nextspritestat[spriteNum];
+
+        if (sprite[spriteNum].xrepeat == 0)
+            A_DeleteSprite(spriteNum);
+
+        spriteNum = nextSprite;
+    }
 }

void G_MoveWorld(void)

Can anyone share a screenshot of the F8 properties of the SE at the bottom of the vent in Duke 64 mod level 1?

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

v 0.93
i nudged the other two sprites out of the way to get a proper lock on the se

Attached Image: Untitled.jpg

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostKillerBudgie, on 04 March 2018 - 05:19 AM, said:

It seems Eduke32 builds 6526 and higher seem to break it.

Fixed in r6892.

Confirmed. Just played through the first part of Duke64's E1L1 and you no longer hit a solid floor at the end of the vent. Nice job.

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

I had a thought the other day and it just really hit home for me. What if you made it so there was an eduke32 tool that could inject maps into the DN64 rom and then you could play user maps on the N64 via Everdrive or 64Drive. I don't know if you know but the N64 modding community is very large and I think doing this would open a door to another world for Duke and this mod. It at least would have some folks talking about this ability and I would definitely make maps to inject myself. Even some of the user maps for DN3D with slight changes as long as they met the wall limit could be played on N64 this way I believe. I don't see any downfall to attempting this it only opens new doors. I know about some issues after speaking with Hendricks but I wanted to put this on here maybe one day someone would try it. It would be nothing short of amazing.

User is offline   F!re-Fly 

Hello! I would like some help to find out what these Duke quotes are.

definesound BLEED_SPEECH bleed.wav 0 0 255 4 0
definesound LUCKY_SPEECH punk.wav 0 0 255 4 0
definesound HURT_SPEECH awwwhurt.wav 0 0 255 4 0
definesound DISEASE_SPEECH disease.wav 0 0 255 4 0
definesound TRACKS_SPEECH tracks.wav 0 0 255 4 0
definesound PERFECT_SPEECH perfect.wav 0 0 255 4 0
definesound SURGEON_SPEECH surgeon.wav 0 0 255 4 0
definesound SUCKAS_SPEECH

And if possible, I would like to know what Duke says in these quotes. It could help me continue the work. Thank you !

This post has been edited by Firefly_Trooper: 11 July 2019 - 08:41 AM

User is offline   Phredreeke 

bleed.wav - I ain't got time to bleed
punk.wav - well I guess ya didn't feel so lucky, punk!
awwwhurt.wav - awww does it hurt
disease.wav - hey you're the disease and I'm the cure
tracks.wav - it's time to make tracks
perfect.wav - in a perfect world you'd already be dead
suckas.wav - I'm gonna get you suckas

Thank you ! When in the game do we meet these quotes?

User is offline   Joshua 

I ain't got time to bleed: Duke will say this at random when using a portable medkit.

Well I guess ya didn't feel so lucky, punk!: An enemy gibbing quote.

Awww does it hurt: Another enemy gibbing quote.

Hey you're the disease and I'm the cure: When the first and second bosses (Battlelord and Overlord respectively) are defeated.

It's time to make tracks: Duke says this at random, generally when exploring a level.

In a perfect world you'd already be dead: When first starting battle with the Overlord.

I'm gonna get you suckas: Enemy gibbing quote.

Thanks a lot for the clarifications. I will be able to add all this in my mod.

The good idea they had in this portage is to be able to save the girls without killing them. I added this possibility in the mod.

And finally, I would really like to know how I can add in the bonus screen, the counter of the girls saved. And also add the counter during the game with time, monsters killed and secret places.

Is there a way to know the hud code of the original game? This could help me learn in this area.

This post has been edited by Firefly_Trooper: 12 July 2019 - 08:25 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostJoshua, on 11 July 2019 - 10:37 AM, said:

It's time to make tracks: Duke says this at random, generally when exploring a level.

I think this line actually replaces "S*** happens" when stepping on Enforcer feces as Duke leaves footprints after stepping in it. Might also apply to leaving blood or water footprints as well, though.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 12 July 2019 - 09:03 AM

User is offline   Razzy 

Now this is a fun mod. Never played DN64, but I remember my original PC box of DN3D had at least one screenshot of stuff that wasn't in there, but was in DN64.

I think the newest Eduke broke something, though. Playing the one in the archive works fine, but if I replace even just the Eduke32.exe with the one from the newest build (either x86 or x64), it breaks the ability of the grenades from the grenade launcher to detonate on impact, they either pass through enemies harmlessly or stop once they've hit an enemy and detonate after a few seconds.

User is offline   The Kins 

View PostRazzy, on 02 August 2019 - 05:43 PM, said:

Now this is a fun mod. Never played DN64, but I remember my original PC box of DN3D had at least one screenshot of stuff that wasn't in there, but was in DN64.

I think the newest Eduke broke something, though. Playing the one in the archive works fine, but if I replace even just the Eduke32.exe with the one from the newest build (either x86 or x64), it breaks the ability of the grenades from the grenade launcher to detonate on impact, they either pass through enemies harmlessly or stop once they've hit an enemy and detonate after a few seconds.
I asked about this at some point. I think the answer I got was something along the lines of the mod doing things really weirdly and hackily. I think it might be getting looked at after Ion Fury ships? But outside of that your only option is to use an old eDuke32 build.

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

Wow. I never actually knew that. No wonder I hated the Grenade Launcher so much.

The bit where you can't exit levels via the nuke button was probably a bigger tip-off that something was awry.

View PostThe Kins, on 03 August 2019 - 12:56 AM, said:

The bit where you can't exit levels via the nuke button was probably a bigger tip-off that something was awry.

How...else did you end levels? I remember using the nuke buttons just fine...

View PostNinety-Six, on 03 August 2019 - 01:47 AM, said:

How...else did you end levels? I remember using the nuke buttons just fine...
It just fades to black, and then the level keeps going in the background. Try it! Load up the Duke64 TC with a recent eDuke32 build, and finish E1L1.

View PostThe Kins, on 03 August 2019 - 03:05 AM, said:

It just fades to black, and then the level keeps going in the background. Try it! Load up the Duke64 TC with a recent eDuke32 build, and finish E1L1.

I can't quite use recent versions for reasons, though I do remember a white screen after a level ended that skipped the level stats. ...Assuming DN64 had one, anyway.

• The Sarien Encounter

The grenade launcher grenades are only supposed to detonate on impact when coming into contact with an enemy or crack in the wall. It bounces otherwise. I love the grenade launcher.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 03 August 2019 - 07:12 AM, said:

The grenade launcher grenades are only supposed to detonate on impact when coming into contact with an enemy or crack in the wall. It bounces otherwise. I love the grenade launcher.

That's what Razzy is pointing out though. In the TC (or at least on eduke versions after the packaged), the grenade launcher bounces off enemies instead of detonating on impact. I never played Duke 64 (the original, I mean), so I never knew something was wrong. I just thought the launcher sucked.

If they're supposed detonate on impact that changes everything. That makes the launcher go from terrible and near-useless to actually viable.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 03 August 2019 - 07:21 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

It's super fun when you pick off enemies left and right flying through levels. One wrong aim though and the thing can go bouncing around the room putting you in danger. All the more satisfying when it works out.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 03 August 2019 - 11:43 AM, said:

It's super fun when you pick off enemies left and right flying through levels. One wrong aim though and the thing can go bouncing around the room putting you in danger. All the more satisfying when it works out.

It sure sounds like it. Maybe I should try reinstalling the mod. When I first got it I wasn't aware of how version-dependent TCs were, so I replaced the provided eDuke with the one I was using because I thought it was just redundant packaging for the benefit of those who aren't familiar with source ports.

Of course I know better now the dangers of replacing provided snapshots with updated ones, but I had honestly completely forgotten I'd done that with DN64TC until I read Razzy's post.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 03 August 2019 - 04:45 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

I remember when I played the DN64 mod for the first time the grenades seemed to shoot a bit too fast or too far (or both) compared to the original game. I'm sure that's more accurate now, though.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 03 August 2019 - 09:46 PM

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 03 August 2019 - 09:46 PM, said:

I remember when I played the DN64 mod for the first time the grenades seemed to shoot a bit too fast or too far (or both) compared to the original game. I'm sure that's more accurate now, though.

Yep, who is used to the original one will feel the difference, I think that the grenades are shot out at a height a little lower than usual.As this is a TC for PC, I would have liked that the weapons were switched faster and the limit of maximum 5 pipe bombs on the floor removed, exactly like the grenades are fixed against the Battlelords (in the original they explode before to reach one of them).Still an amazing TC that i've liked so much with some others enhanced.

This post has been edited by The Battlelord: 03 August 2019 - 10:54 PM

Share this topic:

• 14 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options