• 14 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] Duke Nukem 64 Mod

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 03 August 2019 - 09:46 PM, said:

I remember when I played the DN64 mod for the first time the grenades seemed to shoot a bit too fast or too far (or both) compared to the original game. I'm sure that's more accurate now, though.

Yeah, I have corrected that.

User is offline   Phredreeke 

Was that part of the CON code extracted from the ROM, or was it hardcoded?

User is offline   Fox 

Projectiles are hard-coded.

User is offline   Kerr Avon 

Regarding the grenade launcher's projectiles sometimes bouncing off enemies in the N64 game, that rang a bell with me, but I can't find any reference to it in the official Wiki. The only reference I've been able to find is this:

"Enemies can be activated, as I call it. By that I mean that sometimes you see
some part of an enemy (e.g. its left arm, left leg and some of its head)
without him realizing you're there. In this case your autoaim won't work and
grenades will simply bounce off them instead of blowing up on contact.
Sometimes even a direct hit doesn't damage them. To stop this, just run into
his sight to activate him. Once he has seen you he can never return to the
inactivated status. This is extremely useful to keep in mind when you want to
lob grenades around corners or when you know that there are mutants in a
basin in front of you. Just dive down briefly, surface and leave the water.
Now you can fire a few grenades into the water and see the blood fly all
around. If you manage to hit an inactivated enemy, he is also activated.
"

I could be wrong here, since it's been a long time since I played DN64, but I think this was a very rare occurrence, though I don't remember if it always happened at the same few specific points in the game, or if it was more random. I do know that most enemies, if 'inactive' will become active when you use a weapon or explosive on them, as you'd expect, and the fact that I can't find more information about this would seem to suggest that it's not a common problem amongst DN64 players.

Source: I can't link directly to the page, as it's against Gamefaqs' rules, so go to:

https://gamefaqs.gam...e-nukem-64/faqs

and the above quoted text is in the FAQ by KeeperBvK, so thanks to him/her for documenting it.

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

I mean that specific problem is something inherent to the PC version as well. sometimes you score a direct hit with any explosive and they won't react, and sometimes they will. It's kinda random but it affects a good chunk of inactive monsters.

In the TC though, it affects monsters that are active.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Are there any plans to fix the level exit glitch? (The screen just fades to black and I can't exit the level) If it's any help, this issue begins with 20181118-7238.

The existing DN64 TC is very outdated according to Fox. This is what he said when asked on Discord earlier this year about when it will be updated

when I implement to the source code a system for new weapons
instead of the hack I'm using for dum-dums and etc

User is offline   Fox 

Now that Ion Fury is done, I'm back working on this.

User is offline   the_raven 

I'm not sure if this was asked before, but since it's been ported to pc, did anyone actually get around to fixing the 'babe saving' animation and adding proper muzzle-flashes to weapons like the shotgun?

I seem to recall Hendricks posting decompiled CONs from DN64 and Total Meltdown, presumably those could be edited to add those features, if Rednukem will load CONs outside the ROM

User is offline   Fox 

This TC is obsolete, since Rednukem is a vastly superior port.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Can Rednukem use original DN64 data? If that's the case, I wasn't aware of it. Which file(s) would be needed exactly?

User is offline   Dzierzan 

RedNukem requires Duke Nukem 64 ROM. It's the only file it needs. Now how you'll get the ROM is up to you.

• The Truth is in here

Cool. If it was able to run Total Meltdown, that TC would be obsolete, too...

DN64 used its own hardware renderer which NukeYKT recreated in Rednukem.

Total Meltdown on the other hand used a reimplementation of the software renderer (although running in 15-bit color mode, as the PS1 has no native 256 color mode) - with the r_yshearing CVAR enabled Polymost you got a match for the original visuals aside from slightly different sprite clipping behaviour due to using Z-buffer.

User is offline   WangNukem 

Is it somehow possible to play Duke Nukem 64 in multiplayer via LAN?

Unfortunately, that wasn't really possible with the old DN64 mod - would it work with Rednukem?

It would be really great to play DN in multiplayer with the new weapons and the additional and expanded maps.

https://forums.duke4...post__p__376098

• The Truth is in here

The timing of your question is indeed impeccable, considering it's about something that was literally released barely two weeks ago.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 08 January 2023 - 11:55 AM

Wow, that really is a great late Christmas present (for me). Does that include the new, expanded maps (such as the Stadium map) and also the 4 additional MP maps?

And btw. does anyone has a link for the most recent YANG release? It seems that my 0.91 version is outdated...

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostWangNukem, on 08 January 2023 - 11:38 AM, said:

And btw. does anyone has a link for the most recent YANG release? It seems that my 0.91 version is outdated...

Better off with NukemNet. It's like YANG, but actively maintained: https://nukemnet.com/

View PostStriker, on 11 January 2023 - 05:49 PM, said:

Better off with NukemNet. It's like YANG, but actively maintained: https://nukemnet.com/

Thank you for the tip Striker. In principle, does this also make sense/is useful if we only play offline via LAN?

Question: Has any of Fox's improvements made since the 2014 release made it into the new NetDuke32 version of the mod?

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostPhredreeke, on 14 January 2023 - 07:20 AM, said:

Question: Has any of Fox's improvements made since the 2014 release made it into the new NetDuke32 version of the mod?

No, I don't have access to those. So I've been making some of my own improvements.

User is offline   Fox 

View PostPhredreeke, on 14 January 2023 - 07:20 AM, said:

Ugh I have to share that stuff at some point

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostFox, on 15 January 2023 - 11:00 AM, said:

Posted Image

View PostFox, on 15 January 2023 - 11:00 AM, said:

I know that since Rednukem added Duke 64 support you consider the TC obsolete, but those additions could come useful for other mods :P

View PostWangNukem, on 14 January 2023 - 06:53 AM, said:

Thank you for the tip Striker. In principle, does this also make sense/is useful if we only play offline via LAN?

Yes, NukemNet has auto LAN detection built in, including offline mode for LAN parties where you don't have internet connection.
If you have any questions, or need any help, feel free to ping me in the NukemNet discord.

This post has been edited by aaBlueDragon: 07 May 2023 - 02:35 PM

View PostaaBlueDragon, on 07 May 2023 - 02:34 PM, said:

Yes, NukemNet has auto LAN detection built in, including offline mode for LAN parties where you don't have internet connection.
If you have any questions, or need any help, feel free to ping me in the NukemNet discord.

Thank you very much :)
We just had a LAN party this week and we tried to get it running with NetDuke32 and the DN64 mod - unfortunately without success.
I tried to describe what happend here:
https://forums.duke4...ay/page__st__60

Share this topic:

• 14 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options