• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] Duke Nukem 64 Mod

User is offline   Skulldog 

Yea, that's the ticket.

User is offline   BR4ZIL 

Hey Fox, awesome mod, but if you dont mind a unknown lurker asking, how much alike is your mod compared to the N64 original? I never played the original but now i am torn between playing your mod or Duke64 itself on a emulator (which is not as enjoyable because of lack of Keyboard & Mouse).

So, in terms of fidelity to N64 weapons/monster sprites/duke quotes and most importantly, map design is your mod? I tried finding info on the mod's site but sadly none were avaiable = (

I hope this is just like Doom64 or DoomPSX total conversion :P

This post has been edited by BR4ZIL: 07 August 2013 - 05:36 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

It's pretty freaking close. I can't tell the difference. The maps, models, and textures are ripped straight from the ROM so that experience is pretty much identical. The weapon functions are also equally authentic. Fox has done one heck of a job here and put much love and attention to detail into it. There should be no reason to have to play the console original, aside from maybe the split-screen multiplayer.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 07 August 2013 - 06:45 PM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostBR4ZIL, on 07 August 2013 - 05:34 PM, said:

So, in terms of fidelity to N64 weapons/monster sprites/duke quotes and most importantly, map design is your mod? I tried finding info on the mod's site but sadly none were avaiable = (

The sprites, quotes and maps have been ripped from the ROM. I tried my best to reproduce the behavior of weapons and other stuff, going as far as recording it to make sure everything is the same every tic.

View PostBR4ZIL, on 07 August 2013 - 05:34 PM, said:

I hope this is just like Doom64 or DoomPSX total conversion :P

I would say it's not as accurate as Doom64 EX, but is above the PSX mods.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 07 August 2013 - 06:44 PM, said:

It's pretty freaking close. I can't tell the difference. The maps, models, and textures are ripped straight from the ROM so that experience is pretty much identical. The weapon functions are also equally authentic. Fox has done one heck of a job here and put much love and attention to detail into it. There should be no reason to have to play the console original, aside from maybe the split-screen multiplayer.

Though I have fixed the retarded bugs, like the blue-colored Expander pick-up sprites.

This post has been edited by Fox: 07 August 2013 - 06:58 PM

User is offline   Skulldog 

I never played past the rooftop on N64. I will play this all the way to the end now. Thanks.

User is offline   MetHy 

When I load my save this little thing at the bottom shows up and covers the HUD. It just keeps coming in and out. What is it, what does it mean and how do I get rid of it?

Posted Image

also I noticed that the HUD covers the level stats

this looks really great so far though!

User is offline   Fox 

That was supposed to show up only once. I also had that problem a few times when loading a savestate, but was unable to isolate the bug.

Open the console and digit "setvar CLOCKTEMP -1", I hope that makes it go away for now. If that doesn't work you can just delete "3633.png" from the "tiles" folder. =P

This post has been edited by Fox: 08 August 2013 - 03:51 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

Deleting the file didn't work, the hud replaces the old image coming in and out instead for some reasons. That command line did work after a few tries though.

I'm at the end of stage 2 and I really love it! I only played duke64 for a bit as a teenager, even though I do own the game which I bought for a coulpe of bucks at a flea market, I don't have the console. This is a (re)discovery for me. Love the new weapons, you did a great job

The game seems hrader than the original Duke3d and there is even some new secrets (including whole new areas) that i didn't even find!

This post has been edited by MetHy: 08 August 2013 - 04:18 AM

User is online   ck3D 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 04 August 2013 - 07:21 PM, said:

I totally forgot that Rabid Transit had that tie-in with Gun Crazy.[/img]

i remember playing duke nukem 64 more than duke nukem 3D back in the late 1990's (i got my own copy of the pc version a bit later, even though i could play it at my cousin's), and that was easily one of my favorite things about the game. overall i have always thought the N64 map designers did a great job at using the console restrictions to their advantage in order to enhance the original duke 3D feel and flavor even more. for some reason one level that i remember standing out from the rest as well in the N64 version was freeway, but i can't remember whether or not it was different from the PC version. i have to play this mod as soon as i can find the time, i am sure it will bring back a lot of memories. stoked to see it available already, i had been eagerly waiting for it for nostalgia's sake alone !

User is offline   MetHy 

Just beat the first episode. Having a lot of fun!

I have a few questions and comments:

- people ITT are talking about 3D models and secondary ammo.... Am I supposed to be seeing 3D models? They're turned on in the settings, I'm playing in Polymost, and so far I haven't seen a single 3D model. Haven't seen a single secondary ammo type yet! Am I doing something wrong?

-The game crashes at the start of E2L1! Whether I try to get in when killing the BLord OR directly from the main menu it crashes after a second... any idea how to fix that? (I'm using the version of eduke32 provided and the only thing I fucked with was deleleting that tile file)

- I can't access the 2 hidden atomic health inside this pipe. They're too high, and Duke won't jump that high... is it because that's how it is in the 64 version?
Posted Image

-The lava here is set as ground and not water (contrary to the rest of the lava around). is it because that's how it is in the 64 version?
Posted Image

- I was able to go through the small whole here even though you're not supposed to; simply by swimming normally, I didn't even intend to go there. I know it's possible in Duke3D as well but not as easily
Posted Image

-When you're shrunk and look down this happens
Posted Image

-This same pink stuff also appears from times to times when there is flickering lights for half a second. It doesn't hinder gameplay but it looks a bit weird.

- I take back the HUD hiding the level stats. Well, kind of. It stopped hiding it once I started playing fullscreen.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 08 August 2013 - 05:50 AM

User is offline   Fox 

Thanks for the feedback.

View PostMetHy, on 08 August 2013 - 05:49 AM, said:

- people ITT are talking about 3D models and secondary ammo.... Am I supposed to be seeing 3D models? They're turned on in the settings, I'm playing in Polymost, and so far I haven't seen a single 3D model. Haven't seen a single secondary ammo type yet! Am I doing something wrong?

I guess you missed all the dum-dums rounds in episode 1. :P

The models in question are the 3D explosions, though they are very simply models.

-The game crashes at the start of E2L1! Whether I try to get in when killing the BLord OR directly from the main menu it crashes after a second... any idea how to fix that? (I'm using the version of eduke32 provided and the only thing I fucked with was deleleting that tile file)

I have no idea why that's happening. Does it says anything at the end of eduke32.log? Also, could you check if the game also crashes if you open L9.map without using the mod?

- I can't access the 2 hidden atomic health inside this pipe. They're too high, and Duke won't jump that high... is it because that's how it is in the 64 version?
Posted Image

-The lava here is set as ground and not water (contrary to the rest of the lava around). is it because that's how it is in the 64 version?
Posted Image

Yes, that's how it is.

- I was able to go through the small whole here even though you're not supposed to; simply by swimming normally, I didn't even intend to go there. I know it's possible in Duke3D as well but not as easily
Posted Image

I think you just got lucky, or unlucky. It doesn't seems for me to be any easier than the PC.

-When you're shrunk and look down this happens
Posted Image

I didn't noticed that glitch before. But that seems to be a problem with Polymost mode in general (here is a screen of it without the mod).

-This same pink stuff also appears from times to times when there is flickering lights for half a second. It doesn't hinder gameplay but it looks a bit weird.

Is that in some specific part of a level? Because at least it doesn't happen with me.

- I take back the HUD hiding the level stats. Well, kind of. It stopped hiding it once I started playing fullscreen.

It's still a bug. But I think I may have just managed to fix it.

This post has been edited by Fox: 08 August 2013 - 06:15 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostFox, on 08 August 2013 - 06:12 AM, said:

I guess you missed all the dum-dums rounds in episode 1. :P

Apparently I picked them up without noticing! They were in my inventory all along...

I have no idea why that's happening. Does it says anything at the end of eduke32.log? Also, could you check if the game also crashes if you open L9.map without using the mod?

The game doesn't crash if I open L9.map without the mod.

here is what my eduke32.log says :

EDuke32 2.0.0devel r3973
Compiled Jul 19 2013 20:41:08
Using C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/Duke Nukem 3D/gameroot/ for game data
Using C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/Duke Nukem 3D/gameroot/addons/ for game data
Using C:/games/duke64/ for game data
Windows XP Service Pack 3 (build 5.1.2600)
Initialized nedmalloc
Initializing DirectDraw...
Searching for game data...
Using C:/games/duke64/duke64/ for game data
Using "duke3d.grp" as main game data file.
Compiling: EDUKE.CON (217 bytes)
Including: DEFS.CON (36601 bytes)
Using dynamic tile remapping
Using dynamic sound remapping
Including: USER.CON (43897 bytes)
Including: DEFS2.CON (13702 bytes)
Using DEF file: duke64.def.
Including: USER2.CON (3454 bytes)
Including: DISPLAY.CON (29689 bytes)
Including: SCREENS.CON (52305 bytes)
Including: HUD.CON (29449 bytes)
Including: WEAPONS.CON (22566 bytes)
Including: PLAYER.CON (51755 bytes)
Including: GAME.CON (159304 bytes)
Including: GAME2.CON (86743 bytes)
Resizing code buffer to 46232*4 bytes
Relocating compiled code from to 0x7fb40010 to 0x1df613c0
Script compiled in 140ms, 46224*4b, language version 1.4+
2476/11264 labels, 696/2048 variables, 2/512 arrays
133 quotes, 203 strings, 44 events, 237 actors
Initialized 24.0M cache
Loading "duke64.def"........................................................... ....................................Error: file "tiles/3633.png" does not exist
Error: file "tiles/3633.png" does not exist
Definitions file "duke64.def" loaded.
RTS file "DUKE.RTS" was not found
Initializing OSD...
Switching kb layout from 0000040C to 00000409
Initializing DirectInput...
- Enumerating attached game controllers
* JOYSTICK: Twin USB Joystick
* JOYSTICK: Twin USB Joystick
Controller has 4 axes, 12 buttons, and 1 hat(s).
Executing "settings.cfg"
Setting video mode 1680x1050 (32-bit fullscreen)
OpenGL Information:
Version: 1.4.0 - Build 7.14.10.4935
Vendor: Intel
Renderer: Intel Bear Lake B
Opened "duke64/textures" as cache file
Initializing music...
Initializing sound... 32 voices, 2 channels, 16-bit 44100 Hz
WARNING: SE17 sprite 197 using own sector's ceilingz to determine when to warp. Sector 3 adjacent to a door?
Cache time: 1104ms
E1L8: DUKE-BURGER
Fatal Signal caught: SIGSEGV. Bailing out.
current actor: 365 (487)
g_errorLineNum: 3715, g_tw: 124

Wrote eduke32.cfg
Wrote settings.cfg
Uninitializing DirectInput...

Yes, that's how it is.

Oh so you're even copying the mistakes of the 64 version! That's cool

Is that in some specific part of a level? Because at least it doesn't happen with me.

I've seen it happen in the new cell of Death Row and in this corridor just behind where the screenshot was taken :

Posted Image

Edit: it doesn't crash if I play windowed!

This post has been edited by MetHy: 08 August 2013 - 06:36 AM

User is offline   Fox 

View PostMetHy, on 08 August 2013 - 06:31 AM, said:

current actor: 365 (487)

That's just SPACESHUTTLE, a harmless sprite. I have no idea of what's going on, but considering the circunstances, it seems not to be something with my code.

Oh so you're even copying the mistakes of the 64 version! That's cool

Not specifically, these maps were ripped from the ROM, so they couldn't be any different. :P

I've seen it happen in the new cell of Death Row and in this corridor just behind where the screenshot was taken :

It doesn't happen with me, but I will check it latter. Do it happens if you change the vsync (renderer setup) setting?

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

I can confirm the pink flickering isn't just him. I see it too, I noticed it particularly on Launch Facility/Toxic Dump, and have seen it in a few other spots. Not a normal occurrence. Not even a guess as to what causes that.

This post has been edited by Commando Nukem: 08 August 2013 - 09:32 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I haven't seen it yet. I've played all the way up to halfway through episode 2 so far.

• Judge Mental

And yet here it is:

Posted Image

Ugly ass glitch.

Also, on Death Row, the line "I think i'll climb aboard" is the Duke3D version, not the N64 version. Which is very odd.

This post has been edited by Commando Nukem: 08 August 2013 - 10:29 AM

User is offline   Fox 

Is there any glitch in Polymost mode without the mod?

I have no idea why the submarine speech is not played in the ROM, but it's there in the map. Seems more like an error of the original than the mod.

This post has been edited by Fox: 08 August 2013 - 05:38 PM

• Judge Mental

It's not that it's not playing, it's just the wrong version. The N64 version is very different from the Duke3D version. Duke sounds a little more chipper in the 64 version, instead of his Clint Eastwoody sound in the 3D version.

User is offline   Fox 

Ah, I see. That's a shame.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

View PostCommando Nukem, on 08 August 2013 - 10:25 AM, said:

And yet here it is:

Posted Image

Same issue as the one in this thread. It's not really specific to any map or mod and I see it from time to time in the official maps too. I actually saw it in Shadow Warrior Classic Redux as well. It definitely is Polymost specific.

User is offline   MetHy 

So I just stumbled upon this :

http://www.shootersf...opic.php?t=5373

It's a N64 emulator with plugins so that you can play Goldeneye and Perfect Dark with WASD+Mouse controls! It's easy to setup and the mouselook is perfect!

I tried to play Duke64 with it too but the game lagged on my machine... Plus, it doesn't look as good as your mod does in eDuke32. So, even in the case it's possible to setup Duke64 with this emulator with WASD+Mouse controls AND no lag, it's more a hassle than your mod and doesn't look as good; so don't worry your mod is still the better solution :P

Just posting this because some people might be interested.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 09 August 2013 - 02:44 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Will that work with Duke Nukem Zero Hour?

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

The game crashes at the start of E2L1! Whether I try to get in when killing the BLord OR directly from the main menu it crashes after a second... any idea how to fix that?

Doesn't happen here, though see below. Sometimes, when running the debug builds, a file "eduke32_or_mapster32.crash.log" (maybe *.crashlog) is produced which contains information that is more useful in case of a crash. Do you see one?

Edit: it doesn't crash if I play windowed!

This would suggest something system-specific. After all, there have been issue reports when running in full-screen before.

The game doesn't crash if I open L9.map without the mod.

This however sounds like it may be related to a bug in the C-CON interpreter (or anything else using functionality exclusive to the mod, such as custom art). Strange.

User is offline   Fox 

This is the version included, where you can get the debug executables:
http://dukeworld.duk.../20130719-3973/

This post has been edited by Fox: 09 August 2013 - 07:40 PM

User is offline   MetHy 

I'm nearing the end of episode 3 now, this is so fucking good!
- new secrets
- tons of new areas, for the most part well designed (the only design that felt rushed was the new Rabid Transit)
- more monsters and new monster placement
- some monsters have more HP but it's evened out with the more powerful weapons
- fighting newbeasts before episode 4
- rebalanced weapons by having switching longer and time between shots longer as well (again, evened out by how more powerful they are)
- cool new ammo type to manage that's rare but very powerful
- i'm all loving the new weapons ESPECIALLY the grenade launcher (aiming at enemies while they're mid-air; or through windows, around corners, etc)
- keep inventory and weapons between episodes for extra explosive fun
- some new textures and sprites even some new funny stuff like the blues brothers
- trying to save every babe in each level is fun
- improved maps by added interconnection and fixing moments when in the original game you could easily skip a whole part of the map
- new duke lines
- the censorship is so smart that instead of being a problem and removing stuff it adds new cool stuff instead
- the new explosion effect looks wonderful
- etc etc

This is the best version of Duke3D! I'm having tons of fun rediscovering the game, and all this with eduke32's graphics and controls thx to Fox!

This post has been edited by MetHy: 10 August 2013 - 03:34 AM

User is offline   Fox 

Thanks, but... monster with more HP? :P

User is offline   MetHy 

I dunno if it's the monsters that have more HP or the weapons which are less poweful, but pigcops, commanders and newbeasts feel harder to kill

Just beat it now... a shame that there is no episode 4...

This post has been edited by MetHy: 10 August 2013 - 03:47 AM

User is offline   Fox 

Maybe you didn't realized that the Grenade Launcher is not as powerfull as the RPG? :P

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostMikko C, on 09 August 2013 - 02:58 AM, said:

Will that work with Duke Nukem Zero Hour?

I just tried.

The program Mouse Injector is only made for Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, however with the 1964 you can still set WASD+Mouse controls if you wish natively. However, no matter which audio plugin I try, I get audio mistakes when I emulate Zero Hour on it.

Using other emulators not only it lags but you can't set WASD+Mouse controls.

However, contrary to Perfect Dark, playing with WADS+Mouse controls in Zero Hour is almost a moot point considering that the auto aim is still very strong even when it's set at 'low' (I tried for a few mins with shit sound)

User is offline   Jenz/Amaka 

Finished it, and I loved every bit of it. Grenade Launcher especially.
Amazing work, Fox!

Share this topic:

• 14 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options