Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] Duke Nukem 64 Mod - Duke4.net Forums

• 14 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] Duke Nukem 64 Mod

User is offline   t800 

IIRC from your first site about this mod - DN Resurgence, you were considering options of creating uncensoring pack and fixing mirrors. So did you change your mind and I decided to stay 100% accurate to source material?

User is offline   NY00123 

View PostHelixhorned, on 12 August 2013 - 01:34 AM, said:

The new map format is not available as of now and I don't plan to make it available until Lunatic release. Non-POT tiles display "correctly" in the OpenGL modes anyway, but have some (completely backward) hacks to make it appear as if they look like in the classic renderer. Of course, this only works for some cases, not in general. See a detailed discussion here and in following posts.

That gives a precise answer for me, which is also what I have suspected last time after encountering mentions of the v9 and v10 map formats. Thanks.

To conclude: For now the aligement glitch will be seen (and apparently, even if it *is* fixed with the v10 map format, it may still differ from vanilla Duke64.)

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 12 August 2013 - 06:40 AM, said:

What is the big deal with fixing the texture orientation? Didn't you say yourself, Fox, that you can fix bugs and stuff that was in the N64 version for the mod?

These maps are sacred, they shall remain untouched.

View Postt800, on 12 August 2013 - 07:39 AM, said:

IIRC from your first site about this mod - DN Resurgence, you were considering options of creating uncensoring pack and fixing mirrors. So did you change your mind and I decided to stay 100% accurate to source material?

To disable the censoring, open USER2.CON and change this line:
define CENSORSHIP               YES

The mirrors option is no longer a possibility, since the maps now used have been extracted from the ROM.

This post has been edited by Fox: 12 August 2013 - 08:01 AM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Depending on what the maps look like in the editor, I think the mirrors are still a possibility... EDuke32 supports Shadow Warrior style mirrors that don't require the gigantic sector behind them, just a wall tag.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I still fail to see what is so sacrilegious about altering the maps. Is it so bad to have two versions to keep the unaltered maps for those who want them?

User is offline   BR4ZIL 

Oh, finnaly got to play the N64 version on a emulator and compare it to the mod, indeed some duke speech are diferent!

This post has been edited by BR4ZIL: 12 August 2013 - 08:46 AM

User is offline   Fox 

These are just details, I solved them days ago.

User is offline   MetHy 

I fail to see what's so important about one misaligned texture and a couple of mirrors

User is offline   djdori11 

View PostFox, on 12 August 2013 - 08:44 AM, said:

These are just details, I solved them days ago.

So when are you going to release the fixed one? I'm holding on playing because of these problems..

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Fox wants it to be a 'perfect port.' So he's not going to modify anything he doesn't have to. You can knock him for it, but I understand it. I don't think he'd be opposed to a team coming together and making a 'patch' of sorts for it. If someone else won't do it, do it yourself.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I finished the mod last night, and any (minor) texture issues put aside, my statement from earlier on can only be repeated: It's a great experience and my personal second highlight this year after the DNF 2013 release. I am not sure how this can still be improved significantly, as I found no showstopper flaws, just a lot of fun while checking out all the map changes and new weapons.

An idea for the final release might be to provide the mod (including the music pack) as a zipped release, just to make it more compact and even easier to use. I have already tested it with two zipfiles (mod and music pack) in a "duke64" folder, works perfectly.

Another suggestion, as mentioned previously by others, is to maybe consider a secondary mod which has working mirrors and uncut babes in it, as some kind of "PC hybrid addon" or the like. This could be realized without touching the actual content (just another zipfile which is named so that it's loaded after the original zipfile/maps), similar to the XXX pack for our HRP. :P

One way or the other, this is a masterpiece, and it was definitely more than worth the waiting time!

PS: If there are no objections, I would host the zipfile version of the current mod on our HRP website, also in order to draw more attention to it. Just some readme file with info and credits is missing, I believe. Would be nice to have one.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 14 August 2013 - 01:33 AM

User is offline   Fox 

View PostJimmy, on 13 August 2013 - 11:23 AM, said:

Fox wants it to be a 'perfect port.' So he's not going to modify anything he doesn't have to. You can knock him for it, but I understand it. I don't think he'd be opposed to a team coming together and making a 'patch' of sorts for it. If someone else won't do it, do it yourself.

It's not about being perfect, since such a thing is impossible. The thing is that the console port has its own engine, and trying to compensate for the differences by manually editing the levels is a solution too rudimentary. Besides the texture in Flood Zone is not wrong, I could expand on this, but I don't want to push on such futile subject.

Edit: First patch to fix a few problems. Besides the reported sound issues, unfortunately I had made a mistake which ended disabling the weapon recoil code.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Fox: 14 August 2013 - 05:23 AM

View PostFox, on 14 August 2013 - 01:53 AM, said:

It's not about being perfect, since such a thing is impossible. The thing is that the console port has its own engine, and trying to compensate for the differences by manually editing the levels is a solution too rudimentary. Besides the texture in Flood Zone is not wrong, I could expand on this, but I don't want to push on such futile subject.

Edit: First patch to fix a few problems. Besides the reported sound issues, unfortunately I had made a mistake which ended disabling the weapon recoil code.

weapon recoil?

User is offline   Skulldog 

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostNukemRoses, on 15 August 2013 - 07:50 AM, said:

weapon recoil?

The shotgun in the N64 version had some recoil in it in which the screen would shake a bit.

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostFox, on 12 August 2013 - 02:11 AM, said:

View PostHelixhorned, on 12 August 2013 - 01:34 AM, said:

./art.def:texture 3421 { pal 0 { file "art/3421.png" nocompress nodownsize } }
./textures.def:tilefromtexture 4008 { file "tiles/temp/3421.png" }
./textures.def:texture 4008 { pal 0 { file "tiles/3421.png" nocompress nodownsize } }

I don't yet understand why/whether all of them are necessary (...)

They are necessary in some way. The first line force the original tile to have highres texture properties (shade and pal). The second line is the new tile, however I was forced to stretch it because I could only get the compressed textures ripped. The last one is the same as the first, but for the new tile.

Ah, I only recently noticed that you're remapping #3421 to #4008 which you're selecting at game time, hence the cat. So if I understand you right, the art.def "texture" definition merely sets up some properties for how the hightile (GL) versions of these textures are supposed to be drawn. I removed including "art.def", played E1L1 a bit, but didn't notice anything particularly different (didn't look too hard though). Asked the other way around, what is missing when art.def is omitted?

I am not sure why this is happening, but I think it may have something to do with the SE lo-tag 32 (ceiling rise/fall). But in the end it seems to be more of a level design flaw.

I can verify that it is indeed a consequence of the alignment hacks the GL renderers make. When saving the map as V10 in the Lunatic build, it displays as in your screenshot. So, because editing the maps is out of the question, whether NPOT ysize tiles are drawn the correct way should be specifiable with a new maphack token.

User is offline   Fox 

View PostHelixhorned, on 17 August 2013 - 02:58 AM, said:

Ah, I only recently noticed that you're remapping #3421 to #4008 which you're selecting at game time, hence the cat. So if I understand you right, the art.def "texture" definition merely sets up some properties for how the hightile (GL) versions of these textures are supposed to be drawn. I removed including "art.def", played E1L1 a bit, but didn't notice anything particularly different (didn't look too hard though). Asked the other way around, what is missing when art.def is omitted?

The art.def serves only to force the textures to have highres pal.

Spoiler

View PostHelixhorned, on 17 August 2013 - 02:58 AM, said:

I can verify that it is indeed a consequence of the alignment hacks the GL renderers make. When saving the map as V10 in the Lunatic build, it displays as in your screenshot. So, because editing the maps is out of the question, whether NPOT ysize tiles are drawn the correct way should be specifiable with a new maphack token.

Don't worry about it, there is nothing wrong with how Eduke display these textures.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Will you put out an update with some skyboxes defined to fix the sky issues? I've been playing this lately, but the sky problems are REALLY distracting!

User is offline   Lunick 

Is there a reason all of Duke3D's art tiles are in the art folder? :P

User is offline   Fox 

Yes, I just explained above.

i have both the console as well as an emulated version of Duke Nukem 64. and for those who never tried Duke Nukem 64. this is a great mod to experience the game how it was. with the patch included to fix some sounds & one-liners. it's Duke 64 come alive. well done Mr. Fox :P and yes it would be cool if Duke Nukem: Zero Hour was made into a mod or TC somehow

User is offline   MetHy 

I tried Zero Hour the other day. Not worth the trouble, it's a bad game. Gameplay is very slow and boring, and the action is not fun at all: even if you set auto-aim at the lowest setting the game pretty much still plays itself. On top of that the environment looks dull.

If you want to port Zero Hour you're better off remaking it completely at least gameplay wise.

• The Sarien Encounter

Says you. Zero Hour was a great game.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

View PostMetHy, on 18 August 2013 - 05:15 AM, said:

I tried Zero Hour the other day. Not worth the trouble, it's a bad game. Gameplay is very slow and boring, and the action is not fun at all: even if you set auto-aim at the lowest setting the game pretty much still plays itself. On top of that the environment looks dull.

If you want to port Zero Hour you're better off remaking it completely at least gameplay wise.

Some nice Polymer lights, Cool models. It would be great.

I can already see Duke's steampunk 1880's jetpack.

User is offline   Skulldog 

Great job on the patch fox.

User is offline   Nukeaholic 

This is a pleasant surprise to come back to after not logging in for a bit. Well done to all involved I can tell that a huge amount of time and hard work was put into this when I played the beta. I know what I'll be playing for the rest of the night. Great job.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 18 August 2013 - 10:57 AM, said:

Says you. Zero Hour was a great game.

I'm going to hazard a guess and say he played it on an emulator.

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

View PostTea Monster, on 18 August 2013 - 11:14 AM, said:

Some nice Polymer lights, Cool models. It would be great.

I can already see Duke's steampunk 1880's jetpack.

Well, like I posted before, someone was able to open an N64 ROM with 7-Zip. Just that particular ROM only, though. If Zero Hour really is on a modified Build Engine and someone could manage to get into the ROM, I'd say you'd find some interesting and useful things. :P

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostStrikerMan780, on 28 August 2013 - 03:19 AM, said:

I'm going to hazard a guess and say he played it on an emulator.

Probably.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 28 August 2013 - 05:40 AM

User is offline   supergoofy 

Even if someone had in the past a Nintendo 64 console, now it is probably broken (after so many years it's natural). The only way to play Nintendo 64 games is either through emulator, or if you can find a used console that still works (which is difficult - not to mention it should be in a good condition and sold in good price). There is also a possibility that some games can be purchased through Wii/Wii-U virtual console.

This post has been edited by supergoofy: 28 August 2013 - 06:19 AM

Share this topic:

• 14 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options