• 14 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] Duke Nukem 64 Mod

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostStrikerMan780, on 28 August 2013 - 03:19 AM, said:

I'm going to hazard a guess and say he played it on an emulator.

Yes I did, what's your point? It doesn't change the game. I'm not going to bother buying a very average console and a bad game just so I can claim "Zero Hour's awfulness was even more genuine on real hardware!"

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

I played it on a real N64 and I liked it well enough. The framerate was really bad, though I was using the high res mode w/ the memory pak to get a better picture versus better performance in one of the lower res modes. I only played a few levels because people kept tripping on the N64 cords and pissing me off, but it was still pretty fun despite the bad framerate. I liked the crude jokes, anyhow. :P

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

My N64 is still in excellent condition. And I bought it used after my first one was stolen.

User is offline   LkMax 

View PostMetHy, on 28 August 2013 - 08:09 AM, said:

Yes I did, what's your point? It doesn't change the game. I'm not going to bother buying a very average console and a bad game just so I can claim "Zero Hour's awfulness was even more genuine on real hardware!"

N64 emulators doesn't works nearly as well as the SNES and Genesis emulators. You most likely haven't played the game in it's full glory just like I couldn't make my Perfect Dark ROM run as good as in the original console. =\

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

It's besides the point. He clearly has poor taste. Posted Image

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View Postsupergoofy, on 28 August 2013 - 06:18 AM, said:

Even if someone had in the past a Nintendo 64 console, now it is probably broken (after so many years it's natural). The only way to play Nintendo 64 games is either through emulator, or if you can find a used console that still works (which is difficult - not to mention it should be in a good condition and sold in good price). There is also a possibility that some games can be purchased through Wii/Wii-U virtual console.

Dude what? My first gen N64 console still runs perfect and my sister plays it just about every day.

And yes, Zero Hour is absolute shit on emulators. It doesn't work right. Plenty of crashes and bugs.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

The European version never crashed for me.

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

1964 is the best emulator for Zero Hour to my knowledge so far. I think it runs a little slow, but that's the only problem I've experienced.

• The Sarien Encounter

I always liked Project 64. Course, it's been ages since I've played it. Never played Zero Hour on an emulator before, though. Everything else I've played was great.

• el fundador

It seems like N64 emulation has really stagnated a lot in the past decade... those are the same emulators we were using when N64 games were practically still coming out!

User is offline   Skulldog 

I just dug out the N64 and it still works. I could only find 3 of the games for it. Madden 2004, Star wars ep1 Racer, And the game that came with it, Pokémon Stadium.

N64, still going strong, had it since it came out in the UK. It has been mildly overclocked for some years too. All previous cartridge systems I own run fine too, your Xstation or PlayCube is more likely to break as it has moving parts (and crappy build quality by comparison), cartridge systems don't.

I don't use emulation if I can help it - though I am not agains emulation, it allows more people to access the games or to test something but it isn't an accurate representation no matter how good the emulator is, nor can it be taken for granted if something works on the emulator (if you're developing) as it might not on the real hardware and vice-verse, you'd be amazed how many demos don't run in DOSBox for example, then the new "oldskool" ones made for "DOS" don't actually work in real DOS (which I find misleading and infuriating) altough the new ones suck anyway. Not to mention emulator authors have an annoying knack of "fixing" bugs that the real hardware had, which were sometimes used by programmers to achieve extra effects thus breaking compatibility with whatever effect / trick some software that utilized it had.

Fox's & Co's Duke 64 mod mod here is different to me, that's more like a port than emulation, it gives the original experience very accurately but changes enough (as it runs in EDuke32, there is ability to select a high resolution or use custom content) that it is it's own thing.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 29 August 2013 - 05:00 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

When I first got my Wii I spent a long time with homebrew to get SSB and Duke64 working on the virtual console. Had them with their own custom banners and sounds and everything. What fun. Though there was a bug with Duke64, however, where you could see sprites through walls. And the joysticks were way too sensitive on the classic controller. Alright on the GC controller, though. Ran pretty smooth too.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 29 August 2013 - 05:20 AM

User is offline   t800 

I found very odd bug Fox. I wanted to have demo playing in background of main menu, so I recorded one from E3L1. Strange thing is that I played your mod few days later, and somehow almost all sprites got slightly visible black square shaped edges around them (text in main menu, player weapons, enemies, pickups, etc..) and I could even partially see pickups trough walls from different rooms! I was wondering what was the most prominent change between last time when everything worked fine and now, and I realized it was demo playing at start. So I deleted it and everything returned to normal. Huh... ?! :P

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Send your .edm with a description of your installation settings to Helix.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Nice job guys, I never played the original so I cannot say much about that but it was fun seeing all the changes.

Reviewed here: http://msdn.duke4.net/revduke64.php

User is offline   Fox 

Thanks for the review. You could put the credits as just "Fox & Nukey".

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Okay, I wasn't sure about the team since it wasn't mentioned anywhere. But I mentioned your previous nick just to be consistent with past practice.

• el fundador

Just committed a fix for the sky issue, can everyone verify it's fixed as of r4063?

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Hmmm... for me the sky looks like this now (using r4065):

• el fundador

Looks like you have hightile disabled to me. That also looks like Polymer, which this TC does NOT support as wall-aligned sprites in Duke64 were given an unused cstat bit for something and we'd already used the bit ourselves to dictate that Polymer shouldn't draw something.

• The Truth is in here

D'oh! After finishing the mod, I re-enabled Polymer ofc and forgot to disable it when selecting the Duke64 folder again --> *facepalm*!

Anyway, looks fine to me now. I dunno exactly what the issue with skyboxes was before, but I also had strange fullscreen flickering in some scenes before which seems to be gone by now, at least judging from E1L1. I will do another playthrough in the near future to make sure it's really not occurring any more - for me it especially happened in ep.2 actually.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 21 September 2013 - 02:04 PM

• el fundador

The flickering was the problem. Fire up episode 2 and see if it looks right.

• The Truth is in here

I know for sure I had issues at the beginning of E2L3 (see screenshot). This looks fine now. It's a bit strange to have the blue skybox in a space level, but well, guess it's intended and better than all the wild flickering that was going on before. For me, it looks really good with the latest snapshot. ^^

User is offline   Fox 

That's because you loaded the original E2L4 (based on the total kills), not the new one defined as part of the episode. Thus it will display the sky from E1L8 which used to be the User Map (now Duke-Burger).

This post has been edited by Fox: 22 September 2013 - 02:53 PM

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

The reason I mention the whole deal about emulators, is that Zero Hour does not control well at all on anything other than a genuine N64 controller. The button layout and everything was designed for it.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostMetHy, on 28 August 2013 - 08:09 AM, said:

I'm not going to bother buying a very average console

Average? N64 is one of the best!

• el fundador

Yeah, N64 rules. It's one of the few consoles I actually own. About 30 games, too. I'm saving them for when my kid is old enough to play. :lol:

User is offline   Skulldog 

I just got Duke 64, and I ordered Duke Zero Hour too. My sister kid loves it.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostStrikerMan780, on 26 September 2013 - 02:14 PM, said:

The reason I mention the whole deal about emulators, is that Zero Hour does not control well at all on anything other than a genuine N64 controller. The button layout and everything was designed for it.

I seem to remember WSAD+Mouse working pretty well.

Share this topic:

• 14 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options