• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

EDuke32-OldMP

User is offline   Max Payne 

• Skinny little Russian liberal faggot

This will be awesome, though the old mp really isn't that bad I mean its slightly flawed but it's okay. But an all new mp would be really cool and I bet bring lots of attentions since Eduke32 is already a beast for single player.

User is offline   JustDukeIt 

This is my first post here, thought about the 'get help' thread, but seems more appropriate here.

Last month I was talking with my friend about the old days, and the LAN parties playing Duke Nukem. A bunch of us would get together, play our brains out for hours, get pizza, and play some more. With the new Windows XP, and compatibility issues, we moved on. We still have our registered version CD's in deep storage, and I knew that Duke Nukem source code was placed into public domain from other sites. I said I would see if a Windows version was made from the released code. I found eDuke32. Awesome! However reading the wiki for multiplayer setup, the deep disappointment came over me when I read that multiplayer was 'Broken'. But I did see the eDuke32-oldmp was still viable for multiplayer. I thought... "Groovy'.

Over the weekend we converged to get some Dukematches going. I found this forum, and Hendricks266 provided information was key. We made batch files to launch eDuke32-oldmp into network more. Playing the original levels got old after a while, so we wanted to play user maps. Couldn't get it to work. Don't know why - either I was setting up the batch files wrong, or eDuke32-oldmp was incapable of playing dukematches with user levels. We did get user maps working for single player games. We need the forum's help for answers.

Here is what was done:

Player 1 (host) IP address: 192.168.0.114
Player 2 (client) IP address: 192.168.0.133

----- player1 batch file ---------------------------------------------

eduke32-oldmp.exe /net /n1 192.168.0.133

------------------------------------------ eof -------------

----- player2 batch file ---------------------------------------------

eduke32-oldmp.exe /net 192.168.0.114 /n1

For two player game, this works fine. Graphics was clean, play was stable, synced, and a pleasure playing.

Now, to test loading a map file, the map file was placed in a sub folder, and the 'Custom Game Content Directory' drop down pointed to the sub folder that the game was in. The user map was entered into the batch file without network info, and eDuke32-oldmp loaded and ran the user map without hesitation.

eduke32-oldmp.exe -map usermap.map

This worked on both systems. Works great.

Doesn't work when loading for dukematch, we get the same old original levels.

eduke32-oldmp.exe -map usermap.map /net /n1 192.168.0.133

----- player2 batch file ---------------------------------------------

eduke32-oldmp.exe -map usermap.map /net 192.168.0.114 /n1

This didn't work. Tried all kinds of variants, no go. What did I do wrong? Is there a way to Dukematch using user maps?

I suppose Duke Nukem 20th Anniversary Edition *may* solve this, but I rather use a superior product like eDuke32.

User is offline   Kyanos 

put the map in the root folder with eduke32-oldmp.exe it does load maps from command line

http://static.jonof....leasenotes.html
^jfduke3d command line is closer to oldmp than the eduke wiki

Also this may be sort of helpful. It doesn't select maps though, but you can probably edit it to work that way if wanted.
https://forums.duke4...oldmp-launcher/

Drek - Thanks, you are right about the map has to be in the root folder, not the sub folder. I can work with this. The usage is inconsistent between single player and multi player, at least it isn't fatal or a show stopper.

I have been to the first link you posted.

Got the /n1 option to work, but is the /n0 option broken on this one as well?

I think I may be in the mood to write a loader for this.... think I will use multicast for communications and coordination, create and execute batch file, select and copy the custom map file to a fixed name in root directory. Sounds like a plan...

The manual portion of the loader program went through testing last weekend with one host and one client. The loader program is rock solid, stays running during the game play. There is an ini file that stores settings and last selections. If the game bails, and want more, just click on "Play Again" button. When game play is executed, the map is copied to the eDuke32 program directory as "DukeIt.map". all the parameters is written into a batch file "DukeIt.bat", same directory as the eDuke32 program. The loader executes the batch file, and idles while the batch file is active (until exit from eDuke32). Next test will be with more than two players.

All the third party maps are placed under a single folder. The loader program reads in all the map files (over 2800), weeds out the duplicates, and left with about 2172 unique maps. There are duplicate map names, so file size is used as unique map identifier. There is two drop down menus for map selection - one is the starting letter/number of map names, and the second is the selector within that group. Suppose you know there is a map called "FragCity.map", the first drop down selects "F", and "FragCity.map" is selected by second drop down. The map name loading process takes a couple of seconds.

The loader program displays the IP address. There is a text box which all the players IP addresses is entered, followed by Return for each IP address. On game launch, the IP addresses are sorted, and entered into the batch file. The users IP address uses -n1:{Number of Players} instead of IP address. This works well.

The second part of this program, which is now being written, uses TCP for connection, auto loading IP addresses from all clients, and the map name is sent out. If the client doesn't have the map, the map is downloaded to that client, and written as "Dukeit.map" in the eDuke32 directory. A copy may be deposited in the user map folder (like a permanent cache). All the other parameters will be set automatically by the TCP message from the Host. This should automate the entire process.

By the way... "eduke32-oldmp.exe -help" helped a lot.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I tried downloading this on a friends PC and got a warning from Windows Defender about there being a trojan on board the exe.

User is offline   Mateos 

View PostTea Monster, on 17 October 2016 - 01:39 PM, said:

I tried downloading this on a friends PC and got a warning from Windows Defender about there being a trojan on board the exe.

The Ninja Debug one isn't it?

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I can't remember the name. I was on a friends machine.

The antivirus flagged the ninja debug program - just delete it, not needed.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

The antivirus is wrong.

User is offline   andwan0 

Hi guys

The provided link to eduke32-oldmp links to: http://dukeworld.duk.../eduke32/oldmp/
which provides eduke32-oldmp-20120912.7z which seems to be a 2012 build.

Is it possible to either:
  • create a fork of oldmp, and merge in the graphics code (HRP support, polymer, etc)
  • create a fork of latest eduke32, and merge in old network code

The reason is I WANT to play multiplayer with best graphics for frag-movie-creation-purposes.

Otherwise, is it possible to playback a recorded multiplayer demo from oldmp in latest eduke32?

• Weaponized Autism

View Postandwan0, on 09 April 2017 - 02:53 PM, said:

create a fork of oldmp, and merge in the graphics code (HRP support, polymer, etc)

The old multiplayer is sync-based, and the stalls that result from loading and using highres content make hell for proper networking performance.

create a fork of latest eduke32, and merge in old network code

Not worth the effort.

Otherwise, is it possible to playback a recorded multiplayer demo from oldmp in latest eduke32?

Demos are tied to savegames, which have periodically changed format over the years.

The reason is I WANT to play multiplayer with best graphics for frag-movie-creation-purposes.

My suggestion would be to reconsider what you feel to be the best graphics.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

I've released a new version of EDuke32-OldMP, which can be found here: https://gitlab.com/m...oldmp_release_3

Release notes are within. This new build should be less prone to issues than the last version, especially with mods.

I've spoken with Poda, the maker of Meltdown, he should be updating the included EDuke32-OldMP with this one soon hopefully. I've also discussed about getting support for frag limits right in the client.

If you have issues getting it to run, let me know.

This post has been edited by Striker: 08 May 2017 - 08:21 PM

• Weaponized Autism

This is an officially-sanctioned release. Thanks to Striker for taking the initiative.

User is offline   The Nate 

The new OldMP build doesn't work on 64-bit computers, as it requires libvorbisfile-3.dll, which my computer doesn't have.

User is offline   Mark 

OOPS. Somebody posted while I was typing. Same thing for me. I downloaded and installed the missing file into the folder. Ran and a different missing file error pops up. I gave up.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 09 May 2017 - 04:47 AM

• Auramancer

View PostNewcomer, on 09 May 2017 - 04:15 AM, said:

The new OldMP build doesn't work on 64-bit computers, as it requires libvorbisfile-3.dll, which my computer doesn't have.

That has nothing to do with 64-bit machines. That's a missing DLL. I'll see what I can do.

EDIT: Uploaded a new copy with the files needed, give it a shot now. https://gitlab.com/m...oldmp_release_3

This post has been edited by Striker: 09 May 2017 - 07:31 AM

User is offline   Mark 

The error messages are gone but I don't have time right now to try out an online game.

User is offline   Kyanos 

I really like the fraglimit!!

Noticed players carrying weapons forward into the next match.

User is offline   Kyanos 

I got this to fix the weapon and inventory carryover, in player.c // Fraglimit hit after line 3762 ud.limit_hit = 1;
P_ResetInventory(p->frag_ps);
P_ResetWeapons(p->frag_ps);

• Auramancer

View PostDrek, on 09 May 2017 - 04:10 PM, said:

I really like the fraglimit!!

Noticed players carrying weapons forward into the next match.

Old EDuke32 bug that only happens in Offline play against bots. Haven't looked into it yet. Your change is a misguided one, because this bug also affects nukebuttons, not just the frag limit. Putting that bit of code there will only fix it for the player who hit the frag limit (other players will still keep their guns), and won't fix nukebuttons.

This post has been edited by Striker: 09 May 2017 - 06:25 PM

• Auramancer

Released a new build. Release notes within: https://gitlab.com/m...oldmp_release_4

This will be the last for a few weeks I think, I just wanted to get the long-standing known issues out of the way.

Later I'll investigate the sound issues, and see what I can do about the inventory not being reset between maps in bot matches.

This post has been edited by Striker: 09 May 2017 - 06:23 PM

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostStriker, on 09 May 2017 - 06:09 PM, said:

Old EDuke32 bug that only happens in Offline play against bots. Haven't looked into it yet. Your change is a misguided one, because this bug also affects nukebuttons, not just the frag limit. Putting that bit of code there will only fix it for the player who hit the frag limit (other players will still keep their guns), and won't fix nukebuttons.

It was odd, both players and bots start with the winning players weapons and inventory, so reset there and then does indeed solve it, but yes not the nukebuttons.
I only tested with 1 bot. It doesn't work with more.

This post has been edited by Drek: 09 May 2017 - 07:24 PM

• Auramancer

Yeah, figured as much. There's probably a misguided numplayers check before resetting somewhere, I'll have it check for non-cooperative game modes, and have it reset at map load.

User is offline   Kyanos 

Some requests for features, CON access to player names & obituaries.

• Auramancer

I will not be adding new CON features that aren't something that was already planned by the EDuke32 devs. getplayer[].connected was a special case, because that will be available in the C/S version when ready.

The reason for this, is we don't want any forking of CON features.

The only things going forward are going to be bugfixes, and possibly the addition of time limits.

This post has been edited by Striker: 11 May 2017 - 07:01 PM

• Weaponized Autism

View PostDrek, on 11 May 2017 - 06:55 PM, said:

CON access to player names

getpname

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostHendricks266, on 11 May 2017 - 07:10 PM, said:

Well that was a puzzle and a half, I had to loop through players in event game to get other players names. I came up with this to populate a list of quotes with names. Any suggestions on where to improve this mess?
Spoiler

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

jesus

User is offline   Kyanos 

I cleaned it up a bit by removing redundant ifvarvarn checks for already named players and instead put proper brackets in.

I've got a custom fragbar now, with a top three leader board. First issue I encountered was not being able to remove the original fragbar (and render the game there) so I ended up drawing mine over it. The other thing was getting the fraglimit. I hacked it in to source so I could access fraglimit in con and announce winners. Any plans to make fraglimit and the possible future time limit reachable by con code?

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options