• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

EDuke32-OldMP

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

EDuke32-OldMP
Cobbled together by Hendricks266
Maintenance and Further Development by Striker

This port has one purpose and one purpose only: to provide a usable EDuke32 in online multiplayer in the interim of the completion of the client-server rewrite. If you are using this for any other purpose, STOP, and use the latest version of mainline EDuke32.

OldMP has been superseded by NetDuke32! https://forums.duke4.net/topic/11826-/

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 30 September 2021 - 10:22 AM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

This build is awesome. I've played countless games with it through CO-OP on very complex maps like It Lives, Roch 8, Red 5, WGCity, Clear The Coast, Anorak City, etc. without any crashes. It's main benefit over the old builds is the crackling sound fix for systems newer than Windows XP - which makes all the difference. Thanks for finally releasing it publicly, Hendricks!

This post has been edited by CuttleShock: 18 December 2014 - 06:33 PM

User is offline   Juras 

Im rapidly loosing faith and starting to think that eduke client/server netcode won't be finished ever. :lol:
The worse thing is waiting for an info I would rather get shot in the head than wait forever for a date of execution.

User is offline   Nukeaholic 

Either way I'm extremely grateful that this exact revision is released. I'll probably give this a shot online tonight, big thanks to the EDuke32 team.

Is this suitable for testing a mod in development for multiplayer quirks or should I wait for the proper client/server code to be finished and just hope like hell that it works in the meantime?

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Test it out and see for yourself. If your mod doesn't crash upon startup when loading then I imagine it's the most suitable it'll be for awhile.

This post has been edited by Radar: 02 June 2013 - 12:44 PM

User is offline   Kyanos 

I came across an error with it not recognizing rendmode as a gamevar. I was just experimenting :lol:

User is offline   Mark 

I installed it late yesterday afternoon along with YANG. Since then, the only activity I saw was a private room for Shadow Warrior this morning for a couple of hours. :lol:

BTW, the bots seem a lot faster than I remember from the last time I used them many years ago.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 02 June 2013 - 02:24 PM

• Weaponized Autism

View PostDrek, on 02 June 2013 - 12:53 PM, said:

I came across an error with it not recognizing rendmode as a gamevar. I was just experimenting :lol:

It's old, before that var was implemented. OldMP doesn't really target mods anyway. The Meltdown "community" plays straight vanilla, to the point that hDuke checksums the GRP and the CON files and will quit if modified.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

View PostMark., on 02 June 2013 - 02:22 PM, said:

I installed it late yesterday afternoon along with YANG. Since then, the only activity I saw was a private room for Shadow Warrior this morning for a couple of hours. :lol:

Don't expect anything different. XDuke and HDuke is what's popular, and I'm sure once you find an EDuke32 room, the guy on the other end will have to spend time getting your version.

Try this website: http://dukematches.net/ . It's a new client called "Duke Matcher". As feature-ridden as it is compared to Yang, it's where the free-for-all dukematch community basically resides now. There was a huge shockwave on the clients awhile back that rattled the ideologies of a lot of players. Most of the usual players ditched Yang, and everyone else who didn't care but just wanted to play with everyone followed. (I won't explain the story in this post, but if anyone quotes this wanting to know, then I'll share every detail in this thread - something I've been wanting to do for a long time).

This post has been edited by Radar: 02 June 2013 - 06:25 PM

User is offline   Mark 

Actually, I think YANG will be fine. I only plan on playing against my brothers like in the good old days on the 56K phone modem line. I'll try to get them set up later this week. I think I still have our old favorite MP maps on a backup somehwere. Now that I know mapping, maybe I whip up another one for the "grand re-opening"

This post has been edited by Mark.: 02 June 2013 - 06:29 PM

• Weaponized Autism

View PostRadar, on 02 June 2013 - 06:18 PM, said:

It's a new client called "Duke Matcher". As feature-ridden as it is compared to Yang, it's where the free-for-all dukematch community basically resides now. There was a huge shockwave on the clients awhile back that rattled the ideologies of a lot of players. Most of the usual players ditched Yang, and everyone else who didn't care but just wanted to play with everyone followed. (I won't explain the story in this post, but if anyone quotes this wanting to know, then I'll share every detail in this thread - something I've been wanting to do for a long time).

Please do explain.

On a related note, Lunick helps moderate the Megaton Edition forum on Steam and shared this on IRC. I haven't used Duke Matcher so I can't speak to the merits of the program itself but I'm sensing that the community on dukematches.net isn't as reputable as it could be and should be. The website does in fact condone piracy by aiding illegal acquisition of DUKE3D.GRP, link to a Google search or otherwise. Meltdown's website, duke3donline.com, actually hosts a copy of the Duke, SW, Blood, and RR full game data, saying "If you don't have the game, you can get it here."

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostHendricks266, on 02 June 2013 - 08:31 PM, said:

link to a Google search or otherwise

What's the problem with that?

• Weaponized Autism

It's a lack of respect for the game and the people who made it. It's not necessarily illegality, more the fact that it acknowledges piracy as a legitimate option at all, then helps you get there.

User is offline   Juras 

yeah radar tell us the story

User is offline   Player Lin 

Nice, but I still want to wait the C/S-MP one... :lol:

Really, even google-ing and will found shitload of links about how to download a copy of DN3D/SW/RR or other "full copy" of games, it still doesn't means you can just "give instructions" for them in public...that would be cause problems... :lol:

User is offline   Kyanos 

Tell me the story please radar. I used to play on yang a lot and noticed people were odd to say the least. I had doubts about how secure it was and stopped.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

come on radar, you can't tease gossip like that and not follow up on it.

User is offline   Juras 

go radar go!

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

I know this will come out long. Stay with me now.

Sometime early last year, an annoyance was occurring that really struck a nerve with a few players. A few people from the Meltdown client were coming onto Yang, pasting messages promoting Meltdown with a link, and then leaving immediately. Some people even took the liberty to host locked rooms for all to see with a room title that would advertise Meltdown. It was a little annoying, but I didn’t find it to be a big deal. I enjoyed both Yang and Melt for what they were: Yang = free-for-all custom maps; Meltdown = 1 v 1 original maps. My plan was for it to stay that way.

Others were greatly bothered by it. The degree of each other’s involvement in the mischief isn’t even completely clear to the criminals themselves, but they were the ones who had to pay the price. Nudek (Australia), Lance (Czech Republic), Cyco (Australia), Paul (Netherlands), and even Fran/Capitao (Brazil) were the ones who paid that price. They logged onto Meltdown and retaliated with the same advertising spiel. Fran wasn’t really a part of their ambitions, but he was being a prick on Meltdown around the same time so he was lumped into the same group of “Gayangers” (dubbed so by the Meltdowners). Fran was going into players’ rooms and spouting the usual tactics he uses to get people to play him. “Scared face me?”, “I make you history in 5 minutes”, “Delete Duke3D folder and reformat PC”, “Come back in 2999”, etc. Generally speaking, the players on Meltdown are pretty skilled, as opposed to Fran, who isn't. People saw right through him pretty quick. No one played him.

The part I found the funniest is that even Fran was hosting locked rooms on Yang with titles saying to go to Meltdown. Fran for a time was really playing exclusively on Meltdown. He probably just enjoyed antagonizing the members. Anyway, his newly found home lasted for maybe a week, when Poda (creator of Meltdown) was online at the same time as him, was rather amused, and banned him completely from Meltdown. Oh, and while he was at it, he banned Nudek, Lance, Cyco, and Paul for their antics, even Replica (Yang creator) for good measure. What a joke.

It was all fun and games for awhile. Fran made a few funny blogs about "Why Americans love ban" on his website, and Lance continually updated his Duke Leaks website with stuff, until Poda released a program for all to download on Meltdown chat that would DDoS the Yang servers. I still remember being in Nudek's room with him pinging 999 with everyone, with Finstar visiting the room to see what the fuss was about (boy, I miss Finstar, haha). Eventually, Replica found that the DDoS attacks were in fact traceable, and blocked the program Poda had released. Replica made amends with Poda behind the scenes. He was unbanned from Meltdown and they cleared their differences up. As punishment for their actions, Replica found it fit to ban Nudek, Lance, Cyco, Paul, and Fran from Yang. With the five banned from both major netplayer clients, that made DukesterX quite active again for about two weeks, haha.

Very rare of him, Fran pleaded forgiveness from Replica as soon as he was banned. Replica let him back, but the other four were not so apologetic. With Nudek being the wiser of the remaining four, he approached Replica about possibly renegotiating the terms laid out for him. Replica said plainly that he would only allow Nudek back if he ditched his buddy Lance. I'm not sure why he would propose that, but my guess would be that Replica didn't like dealing with the issues concerning Lance's pro-communist room titles and the fact that every sentence he writes has something to do with a vagina or penis (Lance is a really weird guy...). Nudek wouldn't have any of it and stood by his friend. There was only one thing left to do: create their own Duke client where they could make their own rules! Duke Matcher was released that Spring.

A Facebook group was enacted soon. While it started out as a group for all online Dukers no matter where they played, one of the admins decided to promote Nudek and Paul to admin. Great! Eventually the group became a Yang/Duke Matcher only thing. Now, the group is Duke Matcher only, and last I heard even mentioning "Yang" or "Meltdown" results in a ban from the group, no questions asked.

At first, moving to Duke Matcher took some time, but with how small the online Duke community already is, losing 4 consistent players - and more importantly, hosters - made the number of games we played a lot less. Nudek got some guy to make a Linux version of Duke Matcher for Fran, which he threw back in his face. Fran was really the only thing keeping Yang alive. When he disappeared for a few months, Yang was basically done at that point. Eventually, everyone who played free-for-all constantly migrated to Duke Matcher, only coming back to Yang for the multiple time periods I was banned from Duke Matcher. Yes, I was banned from Duke Matcher for a few months on two occasions. Now that's a whole different story.

Guys like me got caught in the middle. I liked the Yangers (now seemingly, "Duke Matchers"), but I also liked hanging around Meltdown too. Poda's actions were not supported by everyone on Meltdown. I promise you, that Duke3D Facebook group was full of so much propaganda it made me sick. Apparently, Meltdown is filled with trojans. Poda implemented a system tray icon so he can spy on your computer at all times. You never know when Poda may strike next to take control of your computer! It was filled with terrible lies. Respect was very cheap to buy. All you had to do was say Meltdown was a piece of garbage and the admins commended you and raised you on a silver platter. Say that Duke Matcher sucked and, well, no one would see your post fast enough to respond anyway. For a group that was at first titled "Duke3D Online!" with no hint of a direct affiliation with any client, they at least made sure to change the name to "Duke3D Online with Duke Matcher!" after they banned me from it. No, I didn't go insane and mouthed off something I shouldn't have. All I did was make a comment about how Meltdown isn't all that bad, and I was blocked from the group. What gets me mad is that the person I commented against (an admin of the group) was complaining about how Poda took control of him and his brother's accounts and changed stuff and that it's the last time they'll ever use Meltdown. Thing is, I still see the guy and his brother using Meltdown from time to time. He knew the right word combinations that would look good in front of everyone else. No integrity at all with some of these guys.

I was banned from Duke Matcher the first time for supposedly telling people through PM's to stop using Duke Matcher, as Nudek told me when he unbanned me Christmas day last year. There is no way I ever did such a thing. I was banned a second time a few months ago for saying something against Lance (who controls Master Server 2 on Duke Matcher). He had a room titled "Vivat North Korea! Death to American imperialism", and I had some beef with that. I was banned from MS2 with assurance from him that "here is censorship". Nudek banned me later that week from MS1, on simple grounds that I was "causing trouble". Lots of people started complaining about my absence from Duke Matcher, which Nudek accordingly responded to by unbanning me last week on grounds that I will have good behavior. I never had bad behavior, so that shouldn't be a problem for me.

My ban still has not been lifted from the Facebook group though. There was a poll started by a good friend of mine (an admin too, so I thought I might be in the clear) that asked whether I should be allowed back in or not. Nudek and Paul vehemently responded absolutely not, with responses claiming I am out to destroy Duke Matcher and that I am in touch with Replica to do his bidding. I have no clue where he heard such an outrageous thing. That screenshot I posted in the Yearly Tournament Idea thread was during my second banning. To some of these guys, I'm a "Poda-sympathizer" and a "disciple of Replica", and it's pretty much as tragic to them as being a Nazi. It's real sad in all honesty. Fun fact: the Duke Matcher installation file deletes Meltdown if you have it installed.

Nudek is generally a chill guy and I still have respect for him. I might not agree with everything he does, but he has integrity, and that's what counts. The other guys are pretty much insane though. I'm recommending Duke Matcher if you want to play games. But beware, do not get too deep with any of the people I named in this post.

This post has been edited by Radar: 03 June 2013 - 05:03 PM

User is offline   leilei 

View PostHendricks266, on 02 June 2013 - 08:52 PM, said:

It's a lack of respect for the game and the people who made it. It's not necessarily illegality, more the fact that it acknowledges piracy as a legitimate option at all, then helps you get there.

I know. this pointless badly done HRP repack once had all full version GRP files and functioning as a standalone game, and only a flag on the post (after downloading that massive 3.5gb 7z for incompetence investigation) got it attention from TermiT for removal.

which looks more like an attention stunt for a stupid fursona imho, disrespecting the HRP devs by exploiting it for building up some ego by claiming it was "hard work" to download things and write a BAT file (and apparently he doesn't understand the concept of relative paths lol).

also that dukematches guy bumped a lot of other threads in the past, I've reported those bumps for warez as well last month. Why he isn't banned from that forum already I do not know, but it sure reminds me of when Zdaemon used to grab doom2.wad for everyone who installed it for easy playercounts, and when Quakeworld desperately needed more fodder for their unfair picmip arenas they had widely promoted some installer that installs the full version of Quake because it's "abandonware". Even Quake2 is suffering this from a certain hacked-up stand-alone distribution directly obtainable from a popular multiplayer server. Hell some guy was pushing around a modified pirated Star Trek Elite Force promoting some tournament with it..... on the OpenArena boards of all places! I insta-banned his ass.

Sad that some of those 'biggest gaming community' groups have to resort to piracy ignorantly assuming age = abandonware = public domain.... and unfortunately due to lax mods in many of the forums they promote their piracy-fueled multiplayer communities (of all the games mentioned above) they seem to get away with it.

As for Duke3D MP I haven't went back since 2008 when there was just vengeful bigots in the YANG lobby. Never again. Considering YANG has little privacy, it doesn't mix well with sociopathic behavior.

This post has been edited by leilei: 03 June 2013 - 12:42 PM

• Weaponized Autism

Damn. I hate drama. It's ridiculous.

User is offline   Juras 

The fact is if NY00123 never have created Yang there wouldnt be any Meltdown or this D thing as those net launchers are using Yang source code, Meltdown is more modified and DM is copy of an old Yang source code with tiny changes. DM never had permission to use Yang source code (not sure if they need it as it was open source) . Yang is the only place to play Duke Nukem 3d legally, no links to torrents and no piracy.
PS. Nudek is that guy 'dukematches.net' on steam and he is the owner of this site so not sure why he says he isn't.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

I was thinking it was Nudek too until he said that dukematches.net wasn't his site. The english was still decent, so maybe it was Cyco?

I was also very surprised to see Paul commenting.

This post has been edited by Radar: 03 June 2013 - 06:58 PM

User is offline   Juras 

one of his previous steam names was niksta so who else could it be

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Shit, why can't people just play and enjoy a game without all of this proprietorship machismo drama? I guess I've been spoiled by TF2.

This post has been edited by Comrade Major: 03 June 2013 - 07:24 PM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

View PostJuras, on 03 June 2013 - 07:20 PM, said:

one of his previous steam names was niksta so who else could it be

Well that gives it away then. I'll see if I can ask him about it in a manner that doesn't get me banned again, heh.

User is offline   Juras 

Btw i don't think Replica was ever banned on Meltdown but Poda was banned on Yang for some time. Other things i won't comment those are past things to me i look forward.

This post has been edited by Juras: 03 June 2013 - 08:09 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I'm so glad those assclowns don't post on forums.

• Weaponized Autism

^I think it might be a positive experience for them to post in an environment where no shit will be taken.

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options