Duke4.net Forums: Yearly tournament idea. - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Yearly tournament idea.  "IDL inspired tourney idea."

User is offline   Nukeaholic 

I've been thinking over the past couple of days about maybe hosting a yearly tourney similar in terms of Dooms IDL but for Team Duke Match. It'll probably work like this; sign ups for teams each year, a website to keep a track record of games and spectators viewing the game like IDL. Now, I understand there's not much in the multiplayer department in terms of being able to play online (I'm more or less talking about EDuke32 at the moment). I was just wondering how many would be interested in something like this and your thoughts on it. I thought it would be a nice idea for more competitive duking. Just out of interest, is there a relatively big competitive scene here using a different port and is there something like this already? Thanks lads and lasses I'm very keen to see some thoughts on this.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Well, this idea has been tried and suggested before. It's a fine idea. The problem is that in practical terms we simply don't have a really good modern multiplayer playform yet. Eduke32 has a lot of promise in that regard if the kinks in the MP code can be fixed and a solid, stable build, can be actualized. Fingers crossed, I guess.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

You're the first person to ever suggest this, Nukeaholic.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostRadar, on 15 May 2013 - 06:07 PM, said:

You're the first person to ever suggest this, Nukeaholic.

Tournaments have been suggested and even held before. Annual ones too. As recently as 2008.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 15 May 2013 - 06:56 PM, said:

Tournaments have been suggested and even held before. Annual ones too. As recently as 2008.

Do you know when duke4.net forum started?

I find it interesting for someone to call a tournament for Duke 3D while DNF is technically still around.Posted Image

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

DNF? I forget what that is.

User is offline   Hank 

Dark Naked Females, methinks Posted Image

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

View PostCommando Nukem, on 15 May 2013 - 06:56 PM, said:

Did no one else realize I was being sarcastic? ;)

This post has been edited by Radar: 16 May 2013 - 10:42 AM

View PostRadar, on 16 May 2013 - 10:41 AM, said:

Did no one else realize I was being sarcastic? ;)

I thought you were when I read it earlier to be honest. Let's be honest though no one would really suggest a tourney for DNF (well a serious one at least). I personally thought it would be cool and I did consider that people thought of it before but it just seems to be the lack of multiplayer capability with EDuke32. I thought it would be nice to have different teams along with different game modes and maybe to prevent (or rather reduce) cheating we should record demos that are posted at a set date. It's more of just seeing who would be up for something like this as I would like to break away from the Doom competitive scene and move to here.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Get XDuke, HDuke, Yang, Duke Matcher, and Meltdown and get to know the people on the clients. A tourney isn't happening for Duke in a long time, and we don't need it. There are enough Duke games daily if you know where to look.

This post has been edited by Radar: 16 May 2013 - 11:22 AM

View PostRadar, on 16 May 2013 - 11:21 AM, said:

Get XDuke, HDuke, Yang, Duke Matcher, and Meltdown and get to know the people on the clients. A tourney isn't happening for Duke in a long time, and we don't need it. There are enough Duke games daily if you know where to look.

Thanks for the suggestion lad. I would give you rep but I get a box saying "positive quota reached for the day". I'll definitely look into that XDuke.

User is offline   Juras 

give me dedi servers and i will bring players

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

To anyone who is skeptical, it really isn't that hard to get a Duke game online. Just today I was hosting on Yang with XDuke and played a few games with some British dude who was just getting back into the game after a long break and a brand new Canadian dude. I even had one guy offer me a few rounds of Holly on Meltdown which I unfortunately had to decline because of my calc test tomorrow I have to study for.

If you know the right steps, you can get an online game of Duke easily. Grab a copy of XDuke and Yang or set the Icculus port to HDuke and wait an hour or two. You'll get a game. If you're hosting EDuke32, quit trying. People just don't use it online, no matter how superior we consider it to be on our duke4.net forums. As much as we like to think that our modding forums make up the whole active Duke community, it's not even close.

I couldn't believe how big the Yang/Meltdown/Duke Matcher community was when I started getting into it. These guys all have their own maps, source ports, friends, drama, you name it. It's an established subcommunity of Duke3D. You just gotta put a little effort and find your way in.

This post has been edited by Radar: 16 May 2013 - 07:15 PM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

It's not a myth. People actually play online. Here are a few fun screens I took just before making this post.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

*Notice how this picture has 7 players. Guy had to leave quick, but it was fun while he lasted.
Posted Image

Duke-Tag!
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Keep in mind, this isn't anything abnormal for me.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

As I've said in a prior thread, what's keeping me from joining things like this is that people who play multiplayer Duke competitively are incomprehensibly many leagues above me in terms of skill.

This post has been edited by Comrade Major: 18 May 2013 - 09:15 AM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

We all sucked when we started.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostComrade Major, on 18 May 2013 - 09:08 AM, said:

As I've said in a prior thread, what's keeping me from joining things like this is that people who play multiplayer Duke competitively are incomprehensibly many leagues above me in terms of skill.

Many of them simply rely on cheap maps, exploits, and tactics.

User is offline   Juras 

I rely on mighty kick and holoduke.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

View PostJimmy, on 18 May 2013 - 12:32 PM, said:

Yes, many do, and it always gets me mad when I see it. But instead of complaining about it, whenever I see a player doing cheap stuff I put my wits into it and beat the opponent at his own game. After all, if the tactics are as cheap as you claim, they should be easy to pick up. And if they're not, well then maybe their "cheap tactics" do infact involve some skill.

The above screens are from the maps Iod-Danzig-Grip-G2, Iod-Duketag, and Janousab_two. No camping secrets. No death trap spawns. Nothing cheap or exploitable about them.

View PostJuras, on 18 May 2013 - 01:00 PM, said:

I rely on mighty kick and holoduke.

BUT THATS CHAAEEEP!!!!!1

This post has been edited by Radar: 18 May 2013 - 01:20 PM

• Glory To Motherland!

I always found it humorous how some Doom and Duke Nukem deathmatch maps were called "Danzig", as if Danzig himself would have endorsed such maps.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostRadar, on 18 May 2013 - 01:01 PM, said:

Yes, many do, and it always gets me mad when I see it. But instead of complaining about it, whenever I see a player doing cheap stuff I put my wits into it and beat the opponent at his own game. After all, if the tactics are as cheap as you claim, they should be easy to pick up. And if they're not, well then maybe their "cheap tactics" do infact involve some skill.

The above screens are from the maps Iod-Danzig-Grip-G2, Iod-Duketag, and Janousab_two. No camping secrets. No death trap spawns. Nothing cheap or exploitable about them.

BUT THATS CHAAEEEP!!!!!1

I said many, not all. Of course you wouldn't use cheap tactics. Cowards wouldn't dare post on forums.

User is offline   Juras 

Danzig is a city in Poland which was called like that by Nazi Germans when they have occupied my country in time of II World War, orginal polish name is Gdańsk.
Beside this danzig_66 is one of my fav map in Duke.

• Glory To Motherland!

Well, I was thinking of a different Danzig.

This post has been edited by Comrade Major: 18 May 2013 - 02:02 PM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

So was Danzig_66 made by a Polish dude?

User is offline   Juras 

View PostRadar, on 18 May 2013 - 02:04 PM, said:

So was Danzig_66 made by a Polish dude?

Who knows.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostComrade Major, on 18 May 2013 - 01:59 PM, said:

Well, I was thinking of a different Danzig.

Can we make the blood run up the walls?
Danzig rules.

Fun Fact about sir Danzig: He never mows his lawn. Apparently he enjoys watching insects and lizards. Bill Manspeaker from Green Jello used to work at this pet shop a short walk from Danzig's house, and he said he'd come in and buy lizards just to let them go in his yard.

This post has been edited by Jimmy: 18 May 2013 - 02:42 PM

User is offline   Fox 

View PostJimmy, on 18 May 2013 - 12:32 PM, said:

Some do, the infamous maps made of "holes".

But overall Duke 3D death-match is very unbalanced.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

View PostFox, on 18 May 2013 - 03:42 PM, said:

Some do, the infamous maps made of "holes".

If you're talking about Ledges or Bottles, I'll have you know you're insulting some of the greatest Duke maps ever made. ;)

User is offline   Fox 

I didn't meant holes literally. I meant that kind of map with walls that are masked and blocked from one side, with a super secret passage to the other side filled with all weapons.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Ah yes, go ahead and insult those, because they are not the greatest maps for Duke.

But may I also add, those maps can be fun if all the players know the secrets. If everyone knows them well, then it's just a map with some areas more strategically helpful than others, just like any other map. Most of the usuals know the popular camping maps very well, having to deal with Fran for over a decade. ;) But if you're just a loser looking to pry on newbies that have no chance, then you've committed the ultimate Duke3D sin.

This post has been edited by Radar: 18 May 2013 - 06:51 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options