• 36 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

RELEASE: DUKE NUKEM FOREVER 2013  "it wasn´t a hoax."

User is offline   xMobilemux 

View PostGambini, on 11 July 2018 - 08:04 PM, said:

Posted Image

Just a little teaser, too bad i am not as awesome with gifs as i am with modding. with Credits to Trooper Dan for the coding!

Hey, So... I finally played the 2013 mod this year last month and I really enjoyed it, I'm really happy to see it being expanded upon with this new version. I wanted to contribute a few resources, Just considering I felt the original mod was missing something. I felt the weapons needed a bit more flare to feel like the ones used in the 2001 trailer moreso... Along with some Duke gloves.

Posted Image
Posted Image

I know I read somewhere back that someone didn't want this to be a community project for the most part, But I really would like to see the default weapons given a bit more flare is the best I can say, Probably with some more modifications too if possible.

User is offline   razgriz 

Any new news about this mod?

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

One would assume since at least part of the mod team is working on finishing Ion Maiden, I wouldn't count on any major developments here for a while. Patience is required ™.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Who are you referring to? The mod team, it’s core anyway, is Mikko Sandt and Gambini. As far as I know, it’s only Gambini working on the updated version.

User is offline   Gambini 

I´m working on it from time to time, Mikko is working on something for it too at his own pace and we got some coding contributions from Trooper Dan and James.

I should gather some material to show here. The mod is not dead!

These are development shots i had scattered around. Not meant to show finished areas or such. Just felt WTF and uploaded stuff i shouldn´t.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

I'm in love with the voxels!! Holy shit! That carriage.... :lol:

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Thanks for sharing! The watermill particularly caught my attention!

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 01 April 2019 - 08:55 PM

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

What is going on at the church?

User is offline   necroslut 

Unfinished or not, it all looks amazing.

Thanks for the comments.

View PostDavoX, on 01 April 2019 - 07:21 PM, said:

I'm in love with the voxels!! Holy shit! That carriage.... :lol:

Not Voxels, i use voxels only for weapon and item pickups. These are "a new kind" of models of my own, mostly consisted of basic "sector-like" shapes and wrapped in dukish 8bits skins, with hard shading baked into them.

View PostNinety-Six, on 01 April 2019 - 09:15 PM, said:

What is going on at the church?

Most of your answers are on the trailers. The 2001 trailer is like a bible i´m following to reconstruct the game that never was. I know i come a bit late now that, apparently, more and more info about that version is being revealed. But it´s still a pleasure to carefully inspect every blurry frame of the trailers and envision the whole thing. I feel like Vivant Denon in Egypt while doing it, Only difference is that I know my work will be of much wider importance to mankind (it´s just that i am too humble to accept it).

This post has been edited by Gambini: 02 April 2019 - 12:10 PM

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostPerro Seco, on 18 March 2018 - 11:50 AM, said:

• When player dies or uses the "look right/left" feature, the screen becomes pixelated.

Don't you realize this is normal, vanilla Duke3D behavior? (An unfortunate quirk of the Software Renderer)

This post has been edited by Striker: 02 April 2019 - 12:20 PM

Wrong thread?

User is offline   Perro Seco 

View PostStriker, on 02 April 2019 - 12:19 PM, said:

Don't you realize this is normal, vanilla Duke3D behavior? (An unfortunate quirk of the Software Renderer)
I was talking about a bug of EDuke32 that makes it look even more pixelated. I don't remember where it was introduced, but it doesn't happen either in my beloved r4525 or in DOS.

By the way, I was going to say that those models look amazing. The watermill makes it look like you're using a more advanced engine, especially because it doesn't use any new textures, looks like part of the map geometry. :lol:

This post has been edited by Perro Seco: 02 April 2019 - 02:31 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

This has been reported and answered before.

View PostRunningDuke, on 05 June 2016 - 09:17 AM, said:

2) Pixelated death screen
An issue that got first introduced in r4935 and still persists in latest build. The issue seems to occur in software render and can be easily seen in 640x480 resolution. What happens is if you die, the screen looks very pixelated but it's not supposed to look like that. Here is an old screenshot I made (when I played TamDuke) that shows this bug:
Attachment duke0001.png

View PostHendricks266, on 16 June 2016 - 07:51 PM, said:

This isn't a bug, though TX and I agree it is undesirable.

http://svn.eduke32.com/comp.php?repname=eduke32&compare[]=/polymer/eduke32/ source/game.c@4934&compare[]=/polymer/eduke32/source/game.c@4935

To save memory on Android, we changed the way some of the engine's data structures are managed so that they only take up as much space as they need at the time, instead of always taking up the maximum. The game-side tilt screen code depended on having extra space to work with.

Fortunately, in normal play you don't spend much time dead or pressing Look Left or Look Right.

User is offline   FistMarine 

Yeah, I remember reporting the pixelated death screen back in 2016. Man, how time flies. However this isn't the topic to discuss about that. And the bug certainly didn't occur in the mod (as the mod is using included eduke32 from early 2013).

Anyway those are nice screenshots and I got to say I'm hyped for the newest version of the DNF mod. I just replayed the mod in past month (along with the DLC Pack) on CGS skill and it still felt fresh after all these years, though a bit less than in past years (BTW last time I played the mod and the DLC was in the summer 2015, I think). Plus this time I tried getting all the secrets and kills, which I didn't do before as I wasn't much of a completionist until last few years where not only I want to get everything in the official games but also in the mods released by the community, so I get the complete experience of the mod. I got all secrets in each level and for kills I got in every level (except level 4 of main mod and level 2 of DLC pack, coincidentally they are also only levels where I died). The only annoying thing is that if you want to see where all secrets are located using Mapster32, some parts of maps you can't see because they are placed outside the grid and I have no idea how to work around this by putting the map inside grid (I don't know all the functions of Mapster32). So basically you can't explore whole map in mapster to find where all secrets are placed but walkthrough videos on YouTube by Mere_Duke helped to see where are secrets located (though he missed a secret in first level, which was a bookshelf that contained portable medkit inside). :lol:

Now in regards to levels, I still enjoyed playing through them. Though there were some issues that still persisted and made me a bit annoyed this time. The bike falling damage bug happened again in level 2 (despite this time slowing down at certain times, just to be sure to AVOID the bug, still not sure what exactly causes the bug) but at least this time I survived, with a major health loss (went from 100 to 25, thankfully my armor and medkit saved me but it felt like a waste instead of using the medkit when I needed during certain battles). I hope this bug will be fixed in upcoming version. I did however use the speedometer fix that was uploaded in 2017 I guess, which was something that should have been included since the initial release, considering the fixed CON file had a modified date of 2014 if I'm not mistaken, so why it took 3 years for that patch to be uploaded?

Also in level 2...yeah I will admit I killed the fellow EDF troopers just to be sure to get all kills, since they apparently count as live enemies. I also killed the pig beast behind the forcefield with the RPG to get the last kill (in room where the Terminators get unleashed).

Just like many people said, level 4 (Anderson Mine) is the weakest one in the pack and also the only one I died in main mod. That stupid crushers part, ugh. Every time I get to this part when I play through the mod, I always get crushed by those crushers. Although I made it just fine first time to reach the red card, something happened that prevented me from going through crushers again and I keep getting stuck between them and die. I died 4 times in exact same spot. Quite annoying and ruined my perfect run throughout the mod but since I save often (and multiple save slots too, 1-2 per each level) there isn't a problem with losing progress, just that it's annoying dying to the exact same spot. Oh and I also couldn't get all kills on this map for some reason. I still had nearly 20 enemies left in the map, even though I killed all the aliens and infected EDF soldiers in those carts. In the walkthrough video by Mere_Duke, he got lucky with all kills due to some bug which caused the total amount of enemies to decrease at one point, 1 per second. I'm assuming what happened was a slimer started eating some enemy off camera and each time this happened, the total amount of enemies decreased. Here is the walkthrough video:

Happens between 1:20 and 2:00. Look carefully at the kill counter and how the amount simply decreases.

Oh and in level 5 I got all kills until cutscene showed up, then when during cutscene some aliens spawned, the kill counter increased but when they got killed in explosion, the kill counter didn't get updated and I still had like 7 kills remaining.

Other than that, I don't have anything else to say that hasn't been said. Everything about the mod is of very high quality and it really feels like an official expansion to Duke3D. Maybe it could have been slightly longer and some parts better thought out but I'm sure the upcoming version of mod will be longer and much better.

Now for the DLC Pack, yeah I will agree here too with most people saying that the DLC isn't as good as the main mod (although I really liked the Stadium map) but it's still fun.

In the first level, the only annoying thing in first map is that the outside areas suffer from oversizing and everything looks quite same-y.

The second level (Born to be Wild) is the most epic but also the most annoying/frustrating. I tried getting ALL the kills in this map this time instead of doing the intended way of skipping everything (only missed 3 enemies at the end even if I made sure everyone died) and had to save often each time I entered a new area, as well as trick those commanders into blowing each other up (mostly the ones that are at beginning when you get attacked by 10 or so at same time) to save ammo as it was quite limited and so on. It was quite a painful experience and I STILL hate that one part where you have to cross with bike while 2 trains are crossing at same time, I sometimes have bad luck/timing and hit the train and die. I don't blame those few YouTubers that have played through the map and were stuck at that part and kept dying, that part is actually quite difficult and requires a lot of luck, so I understand them. But outside of that that, the level is really epic. :lol:

And like I said before, the third map is really epic too.

Overall I will give the main mod an 8/10 (because I didn't really enjoy level 4 so much this time and some issues should have been fixed at release, like the bike bugs) and the DLC Pack I will give a 7/10 because it felt a bit disappointing compared to the main mod and this time I also wanted to give a more fair review of the mod instead of giving it straight away 10/10 (it's not perfect) and the fact that I wanted to review by 2019 standards. Sorry if I sounded harsh and nitpicking. But I wanted to point out the issues in a more detailed way, so that hopefully the upcoming version of the mod will have the issues fixed and some improvements to existing levels. :huh:

I almost forgot, here is how I consider each map from best to worst:

DNF 2013: L1 > L2 > L5 > L3 > L4
DNF 2013 DLC: L3 > L2 > L1

This post has been edited by RunningDuke: 04 April 2019 - 07:19 AM

User is offline   IDHLEB 

Looks gorgeous! Love the skybox work, I'd be happy to see night sky with orange moon from 1998 trailer.

View PostGambini, on 01 April 2019 - 04:33 PM, said:

These are development shots i had scattered around. Not meant to show finished areas or such. Just felt WTF and uploaded stuff i shouldn´t.

That Saloon and Bank bring me memories about DN Time to kill.

View PostRunningDuke, on 04 April 2019 - 07:13 AM, said:

That must be some toxic shotgun forcing Duke to wear gloves just for it :lol:

@runningduke: Thanks for your review! As for the enemy count. We never paid attention to that, in fact in Anderson mine there are (IIRC) some enemies riding mining cars on an unreachable area, which are only decorative, so when you see through cracks you can see them coming in the other direction. As for the crushers, I´m who made them but also a mediocre player, and i never of ever died with them, excpet when building them where i purposely stood below just to make sure they could kill me.

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Golden guns are damn nice

Just curious. Will the DLC levels be included in the new version in any way, even if it's just a selectable episode?

• Honored Donor

Gambini has stated in the past that the DLC will not be included in the new release, and I assume that he hasn't since changed his mind. IIRC part of his reasoning is that he wants to do his own take on aspects of the trailers that were already covered in the DLC, and that the DLC will still be available to download for the original version.

For the record, James and I have started adapting my 1998 level for the AMC TC, so that there's a less obscure way to play it.

Having said that, I'm sure Davox's levels had a much bigger impact on players than mine. In particular, his Dukebike level is something that we've never seen before in the build engine; it went well beyond previous vehicle-based levels. It'd be a shame if not many new people were able to play his maps in the future because they're associated with a largely outdated version of a mod.

View PostMicky C, on 26 May 2019 - 09:23 PM, said:

For the record, James and I have started adapting my 1998 level for the AMC TC, so that there's a less obscure way to play it.

Having said that, I'm sure Davox's levels had a much bigger impact on players than mine. In particular, his Dukebike level is something that we've never seen before in the build engine; it went well beyond previous vehicle-based levels. It'd be a shame if not many new people were able to play his maps in the future because they're associated with a largely outdated version of a mod.

Yeah, this is my concern. If your level is being taken care of, then I am worried that both Born to Be Wild and Time to Kick Ass will be left to be forgotten. And if I'm being honest, both of them are some of the best levels I've ever played and I don't want to see them buried.

• Honored Donor

The stadium level isn’t really a concern. It could easily be released as a stand-alone level, and in fact I think it is on the World Tour workshop. The duke bike map on the other hand is very unique and must be included as part of a mod to work.

View PostGambini, on 26 May 2019 - 05:54 PM, said:

@runningduke: Thanks for your review! As for the enemy count. We never paid attention to that, in fact in Anderson mine there are (IIRC) some enemies riding mining cars on an unreachable area, which are only decorative, so when you see through cracks you can see them coming in the other direction. As for the crushers, I´m who made them but also a mediocre player, and i never of ever died with them, excpet when building them where i purposely stood below just to make sure they could kill me.

No problem. I had to replay and review the mod once again, since this time I wanted to get all kills and secrets and in summer 2015 (when I did the mod previous time) I actually wrote my thoughts a few pages back (I definitely remember mentioning the bike fall damage bug before) but for some reason I later edited my older posts (I regret doing that BTW, probably it was related to when I changed my name in 2017) and after playing through the mod, I felt like writing a new review and compensate by making it better and more informative too, explaining everything I liked and disliked in detail.

As for the enemy count, this is weird because I have tried killing enemies in carts in about 2 different sections and it seemed like I killed everyone (after making sure when exploring everything), yet I was still missing those 20 enemies. I wonder where they were exactly?

About the crusher, maybe I must have been unlucky. I think most of times I can go through them fine but other times I get glued on the floor while trying to pass them and then I get crushed. Have no idea why I suddenly stop in between them. I think holding down crouch button may have been the cause, though I don't remember if I always held the crouch button while going through them. I should try replaying that area a couple of times and see which are best results.

This post has been edited by RunningDuke: 29 May 2019 - 05:03 AM

View PostRunningDuke, on 29 May 2019 - 05:00 AM, said:

No problem. I had to replay and review the mod once again, since this time I wanted to get all kills and secrets and in summer 2015 (when I did the mod previous time) I actually wrote my thoughts a few pages back (I definitely remember mentioning the bike fall damage bug before) but for some reason I later edited my older posts (I regret doing that BTW, probably it was related to when I changed my name in 2017) and after playing through the mod, I felt like writing a new review and compensate by making it better and more informative too, explaining everything I liked and disliked in detail.

As for the enemy count, this is weird because I have tried killing enemies in carts in about 2 different sections and it seemed like I killed everyone (after making sure when exploring everything), yet I was still missing those 20 enemies. I wonder where they were exactly?

About the crusher, maybe I must have been unlucky. I think most of times I can go through them fine but other times I get glued on the floor while trying to pass them and then I get crushed. Have no idea why I suddenly stop in between them. I think holding down crouch button may have been the cause, though I don't remember if I always held the crouch button while going through them. I should try replaying that area a couple of times and see which are best results.

Mmmmm now that i think of it... Have you tried killing all bats?

I remember there was some kind of coding advantage on setting actors as enemies, something like they waking up earlier and being more effective. There are 31 bats in the map, maybe that´s something you should take a look at.

View PostGambini, on 29 May 2019 - 08:03 AM, said:

Mmmmm now that i think of it... Have you tried killing all bats?

I remember there was some kind of coding advantage on setting actors as enemies, something like they waking up earlier and being more effective. There are 31 bats in the map, maybe that´s something you should take a look at.

I had no idea you could kill the bats. I didn't think of trying to kill them or if I did kill at least one of them, it must have been by accident. I guess I should replay the map soon and kill the bats and see if I will get all kills.

User is offline   Mark 

Be careful. It might be a trap. If you kill all the bats, mosquitoes will come to get you next. <_<

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 36 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options