Duke4.net Forums: Those simple questions thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 18 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Those simple questions thread  "Simple questions, simple answers"

User is offline   Sanek 

How to change shrinker projectile so it will just kill you instead of shrinking?

User is offline   Mere_Duke 

if you want to implement instakilling yourself with the Shrinker (by mirror, or by Newbeasts), you can do something like that:
Change in APLAYER actor:
    ifwasweapon SHRINKSPARK
    {
      palfrom 48 0 48
      cstat 0
      move PSHRINKING // Used only as a variable
      sound ACTOR_SHRINKING
      break
    }

To
    ifwasweapon SHRINKSPARK
    {
      setactor[THISACTOR].htextra MAXPLAYERHEALTH
    }

If you need to differ mirror-shrinking from Newbeast-shrinking, you need to check htowner:
    ifwasweapon SHRINKSPARK
    {
      getactor[THISACTOR].htowner htowner
      ife sprite[htowner].picnum NEWBEAST
      {
        palfrom 48 0 48
        cstat 0
        move PSHRINKING // Used only as a variable
        sound ACTOR_SHRINKING
        break
      }
      else
        setactor[THISACTOR].htextra MAXPLAYERHEALTH
    }

There, you will kill yourself with shrinker, but Newbeast will still be able to shrink you.

PS Don't forget there are shrinker projectile spawners. You might want to handle them as well. (In the abovementioned example, those spawners will kill you.)

This post has been edited by Mere_Duke: 15 March 2018 - 08:18 AM

User is offline   LAW 

I created a Roch epsiode, so all these great levels can be played one after another. But Roch 5 is always taking me back to the first level. I haven't Build anything for five years, but shouldn't the sector with lotag 65535 take you to the next level? I think it should, but in Roch 5 it just goes to the first level of episode. Why?

This post has been edited by LAW: 20 March 2018 - 12:42 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Try defining it as episode 2 or 3 instead of 1.

User is offline   LAW 

View PostHendricks266, on 20 March 2018 - 12:56 PM, said:

Try defining it as episode 2 or 3 instead of 1.

I started with that. No matter how I name the Roch 5, no matter which episode it is in, it always warps the player to the first level of episode. Another funny thing is that inserting a Nukebutton (whatever pal) doesn't help, because Nukebuttons don't work! My conclusion is: the map was hex-edited, just as the later Roch maps.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

That's odd, because I had the Roch maps all as one episode in one of my mods many years ago, and never had that issue. Double check your definelevelname lines and make sure they are correct.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

In the addon compilation, everything works as intended with definining the Roch episode in a slot not occupied by the regular episodes:

include game.con

// Episodes
undefinevolume 0
undefinevolume 1
undefinevolume 2
undefinevolume 3
undefinevolume 4
definevolumename 5 ROCH SERIES

// Levels
definelevelname 5 0 roch.map     00:00 00:00 ROCH
definelevelname 5 1 roch2.map    00:00 00:00 ROCH 2
definelevelname 5 2 roch3.map    00:00 00:00 ROCH 3
definelevelname 5 3 roch_sc1.map 00:00 00:00 ROCH SECRET
definelevelname 5 4 roch4.map    00:00 00:00 ROCH 4
definelevelname 5 5 roch5.map    00:00 00:00 ROCH 5
definelevelname 5 6 roch6.map    00:00 00:00 ROCH 6
definelevelname 5 7 roch7.map    00:00 00:00 ROCH 7
definelevelname 5 8 roch8.map    00:00 00:00 ROCH 8

User is offline   LAW 

I have the very same order of maps. But I have named them in a E2Lx manner to avoid using cons. I am playing this on the first Xbox, but the same happens in the JFDuke (the Xbox port is based on it).

So today I will try two more things:
1) use the maps with original filenames plus CON.
2) use the 5th episode instead of 2nd.

User is offline   LAW 

I tried both and nope, no luck. However in Eduke32 everything was fine. Too bad there is no port of Eduke32 for the old Xbox :)

How many ticks is one second exactly when it somes to certain SE and D effects? Like explosions or timed doors.
Suppose I want explosions to go off in 1 minute, what value would it be?

This post has been edited by Mister Sinister: 17 May 2018 - 03:15 AM

User is offline   Jblade 

30 is equal to 1 second more or less, so 600 would be a minute.

So they say, but when building the clock I had to set 13 on each side of the 'bellows' to make it fit. The same had to be applied in a few other places. This was going by the game clock, though, which may be fast and this also lead to a discussion with either Hendricks or TX, which suggested the game might use a few ticks up for some functions. Unclear on the exact science of it, but it's possibly worth remembering if your effects come in a little late when set in multiples of 30.

User is offline   Mark 

View PostJblade, on 17 May 2018 - 08:26 AM, said:

30 is equal to 1 second more or less, so 600 would be a minute.

Shouldn't it be 1800 = 1 minute
I know the math being taught these days is different than back in my day but... :(

User is offline   Jblade 

it's been a long day and i'm ill, cut me some slack :(

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I've seen the number 26 around in the past, but I can't really back that up with anything.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMicky C, on 17 May 2018 - 05:06 PM, said:

I've seen the number 26 around in the past, but I can't really back that up with anything.

26 was long believed to be the number of tics in a second, but it was later discovered that the correct number is actually 30.

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

I believe there is something weird with 26, like they intended it to be a second (for some reason) and so some things internally are timed that way. Every old doc mentions 26, but Rusty and I figured out that was wrong when we introduced a wristwatch into the ATC AvP demo.

That's interesting to know. Thanks.
I have another question, but I guess it's pretty obvious. Is there a way to chage texts in menu? Stuff like "Select Episode" and "Select Difficulty"? My guess is it's hardcoded into the game code.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMblackwell, on 17 May 2018 - 08:25 PM, said:

I believe there is something weird with 26, like they intended it to be a second (for some reason) and so some things internally are timed that way. Every old doc mentions 26, but Rusty and I figured out that was wrong when we introduced a wristwatch into the ATC AvP demo.

It seems likely that Todd Replogle believed that there were 26 tics in a second. Either that or he had a strange fascination with that number, considering how often that count is used in GAME.CON EDIT: Also a 52 count is used to end the game when killing a boss. Why make it a multiple of 26? If you know that there are 30 tics in a second, why not just make it an even 2 seconds?

Did DOS Duke run slightly slower than EDuke? Is it possible that there really were 26 tics in a second back in '96?

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 18 May 2018 - 04:05 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

The source code directly claims that there are 26 tics in a second but due to how integer division works in code it actually ends up being 30.

I also rememeber DOS version going slower than windows engines like jduke and eduke

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostLAW, on 21 March 2018 - 01:01 AM, said:

My conclusion is: the map was hex-edited, just as the later Roch maps.

Why and how were the Roch maps hex-edited?

How come, when I choose cooperative in meltdown with the old eduke mp build, I spawn with no bullets in the pistol? If I set the amount of players to < 2 it works fine, but then the game restarts when I die and want to respawn, instead of firing the resetplayer thingy.

- And is it possible to make duke spawn red and yellow keycards when he dies?

Does somebody know, why the eduke oldmp lanucher hangs at "waiting for players" when trying to play online? Everything works fine in singleplayer, and it doesn't say anything wrong before the "waiting for players" line..

EDuke32-OldMP (Maintenance Build) Release 9 20120912
Application parameters: -name Tyrannous /m /l1 /v1 -jC:\Program Files\Duke Nukem 3D\Duke Nukem 3D\Usermaps /c2 /tx -jC:\Program Files\Duke Nukem 3D\Meltdown\Duke Nukem 3D\Mods /net /n0 x:23513 -y90
Monsters off.
Respawn on.
Network mode: master/slave
addsearchpath(): Added C:/Program Files/Duke Nukem 3D/Duke Nukem 3D/EDuke32-OldMP/
addsearchpath(): Added C:/Program Files/Duke Nukem 3D/Duke Nukem 3D/Usermaps/
addsearchpath(): Added C:/Program Files/Duke Nukem 3D/Meltdown/Duke Nukem 3D/Mods/
Loading opengl32.dll
Loading glu32.dll
Initializing DirectDraw...
Using config file 'eduke32-oldmp.cfg'.
Scanning for GRP files...
Using group file 'DUKE3D.GRP' as main group file.
Compiling: GAME.CON (151190 bytes)
Including: DEFS.CON (35992 bytes)
Including: USER.CON (45482 bytes)
Resizing code buffer to 16215*4 bytes
Script compiled in 8ms
Compiled code size: 16207*4 bytes, version 1.4+
Pointer bitmap size: 2027 bytes
1917/11264 labels, 303/2048 variables
125/16384 quotes, 0 quote redefinitions
0/89 event definitions, 207 defined actors
mmulti: This machine's IP is x
mmulti: Master-slave mode
mmulti: Player 0 at x:23513
mmulti: Failed resolving -y90
Waiting for players...

This post has been edited by thisbecasper: 29 May 2018 - 06:30 AM

User is offline   reynold 

Can the current version of eduke32 allow me to play the original MIDI music directly through my Roland SC-55 mkII via a UM-ONE USB-to-MIDI interface?

I've deleted the SC-55 music pack and made the SC-55/UM-ONE combo my system's default MIDI device via Vista MIDI Tool, but still no dice.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

It should be possible, but I don't know how you have set up your SC-55 and which Windows version you are using. EDuke32 itself does not offer any internal MIDI mapper (even though I have also requested that for a while now), so any problem you may experience must be solved externally.

For Windows 8 and higher, I would recommend using the Coolsoft MIDI Mapper. If you have connected the SC-55 unit correctly via USB-to-MIDI cable with drivers installed, you should be able to select the device through the MIDI Mapper afterwards. Oh, and don't forget that the SC-55 needs to be turned on, ofc. :(

This post has been edited by NightFright: 30 May 2018 - 02:00 AM

User is offline   reynold 

View PostNightFright, on 30 May 2018 - 01:46 AM, said:

It should be possible, but I don't know how you have set up your SC-55 and which Windows version you are using. EDuke32 itself does not offer any internal MIDI mapper (even though I have also requested that for a while now), so any problem you may experience must be solved externally.

For Windows 8 and higher, I would recommend using the Coolsoft MIDI Mapper. If you have connected the SC-55 unit correctly via USB-to-MIDI cable with drivers installed, you should be able to select the device through the MIDI Mapper afterwards. Oh, and don't forget that the SC-55 needs to be turned on, ofc. :(

Sweet sassy molassy, it worked! Thanks!

User is offline   Mark 

Can someone think of a workaround for this problem I have with the crane? Sorry for the bad pic but I don't want to reveal the whole screenshot it comes from. I created a sprite based track in the ceiling. In the middle I placed a short verticle pole. Under that I placed the crane grabber. It looks fine. But in game the crane gets placed way to the right which is the nearest wall and is moved up to attach directly to the ceiling. I'm assuming hardcoded behavior. The crane is non moving and just for show. Any ideas on how I can map the crane to stay where I placed it? I didn't try it yet but my first thought was to create a small sector in the ceiling where all the track and crane parts originate and extend it down a little bit. That way the closest wall and ceiling height issues might be fixed. But then I would have the problem of all those pieces flickering in and out as that small sector is in player's view or not.

edit: I just remembered I used the crane in the same way in Dukeplus, just for show, and in game it stayed where I put it in Mapster.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: CRANEISSUE.png

This post has been edited by Mark.: 30 May 2018 - 05:44 AM

User is offline   Mark 

I also used the cranes in HHR and they stayed where I put them in Mapster. I have to try and solve the mystery of why in HHR and Dukeplus they stayed put but won't in this latest map.

moving to bug thread...

This post has been edited by Mark.: 30 May 2018 - 08:53 AM

Share this topic:

• 18 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options