• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Slender's Woods thread  "Standalone horror mod/game"

User is offline   zykov eddy 

Posted Image

Released, follow this link

Hello everyone!

Many of you probably know the new popular horror game called "Slender", where you have to found 8 pages in the dark forest with the scary creature chasing you. If you don't, here's the link. Personally, I like this game a lot. The concept is great, the game has a strong atmosphere. If you haven't played it, do it now, if you like horror games.

Anyway, other games about Slender man started appearing since the original game was released, most of them followed the basic concept of collectiong pages. Slender's Woods also started as a "Page collecting" game (A map to be fair, I planned to make a small mod at first), but later I added more stuff to make it look interesting and original.
I'm using the standard Polymost renderer. Using polymer would be nice, but I'm afraid this will cause a lot of trouble to players.

Here's the description from Mod DB page:

"Slender's Woods is a short horror game which is highly inspired by the famous Slender game by Parsec Productions. Like the original, it takes place in the woods (A forest is Slender man's homeland after all), but the area is different. The interesting thing about the game is that the goal is not to collect a certein amount of objects to win like in the most Slender tributes/clones. This game is more about storytelling and puzzle solving.

If you never heard of a Slender man, here's an article about him.

The story is about a man who decides to move into a house deep in the woods for a week. The man hears strange noises outside the house one night and decided to check it out. The story will have twists and sudden moments to make you more interested in solving the mystery.

The game has two modes with different gameplay.
First is the Story mode, the main feature of the game, which will play like a quest with the enemy chasing you. You have to solve the mystery of the dark forest and find out the true nature of the Slender man. You have to visit various locations, pick up/use items and solving the puzzles.

Second is a traditional Page collecting mode. You have to collect a certain amount of pages in the woods to survive (or maybe not). This mode is added just as a bonus."

Credits:

Me - Lead Developer
SpyrotheFox - Artist
Aseptic Void - Composer

Flashlight model by Tea Monster. Special thanks to James Stanfield for helping me out with the storyline.

Screenshots:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Links:

Mod DB page

More to come.
Tell me that you think about it.

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 19 October 2012 - 08:29 AM

User is offline   Jinroh 

It's looking really great, as per your usual stuff.

I'm very interested in your take on the Slenderman game, as I thought the original while kinda neat was very shallow. Not all that scary either. It's really cool to see you're fleshing it out.

From the screen so far it looks great, absolutely perfect with the setting, can't wait to see and hear more. ;)

User is offline   CruX 

It's really weird to see how popular Slenderman's gotten within the past few months. This looks pretty awesome either way.

This post has been edited by EmericaSkater: 31 August 2012 - 06:46 AM

User is offline   chicken 

• Fashionable Modeler

Eddy's at it again ;)
I haven't played Slender yet but Horror-Mods are always good.
I liked your last release about the staircase (as well as your previous Mods) in which you created a good atmosphere.
So i trust you on this one as well. ;)

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

I like this kind of thing a lot... it's like EDuke32 as an art form. ;)

User is offline   Sebastian 

Can't wait to try this one out.

As for as a constructive criticism, it looks like you've overlapped the flashlight on top of the vignetting of the screen and the model looks seemingly unaffected by the ingame brightness.

Thanks guys!

Posted Image

Just added the battery to the game. Very useful for the flashlight, since the energy goes down when player uses it too much.

The player can also sprint, but sprinting will cause the player to walk slow when sprinting too much. The level of stamina also goes down a little bit when sprinting. Running is very necessary in the second half of the game, so the player should not waste it.

View PostSebastian, on 01 September 2012 - 07:22 AM, said:

As for as a constructive criticism, it looks like you've overlapped the flashlight on top of the vignetting of the screen and the model looks seemingly unaffected by the ingame brightness.

Agreed, fixed

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 01 September 2012 - 08:30 AM

This is gonna be awesome!! ;)

User is offline   DN4ever 

Your composer's music pieces sound amazing, you got good visuals and it's based on one of my favorite games. I can't wait!

I was so thrilled about Slender that I actually made a short song inspired by it, but I got to admit, I'm even more excited about this.

View PostDN4ever, on 01 September 2012 - 01:22 PM, said:

Your composer's music pieces sound amazing, you got good visuals and it's based on one of my favorite games. I can't wait!

I was so thrilled about Slender that I actually made a short song inspired by it, but I got to admit, I'm even more excited about this.

Interesting, can I check out the song?

User is offline   Gambini 

This definetely looks better than any previous thing I played from you. And IĀ“m glad you replaced the flashlight.

BTW doesnĀ“t it look a lot like that Everything Dies mod some guy called Nicolas was developing?

Whatever happened to Everything Dies? that was looking fantastic with each new video.

User is offline   MetHy 

I'm pretty sure it died.

Aha! I knew you were working on something like this, should be good, looking forward to playing.

User is offline   David B. 

I know your previous mods, so I'm impatient to see it.
Moreover in polymost, your game is promised to be nice and shuddering.
Good inspiration.

Teaser Trailer
(Watch in HD)

I forgot to show the Slender man in the trailer. Eh... Nevermind, you'll see him soon anyway

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 02 September 2012 - 12:05 PM

That looks amazing! Well done Eddy! Looking forward to play it

User is offline   Mark 

It looks like its close to release time. Time to buy your adult diapers guys in case it scares the crap out of you. ;)

User is offline   Gambini 

Looks good. You said you arenĀ“t using polymer. how did you do the flashlight effect? is something related to visibility?

User is offline   Mark 

It looks like he used a transparent mask that darkens around the screen edges. Kind of like other games that turn the screen red when the player takes a hit.

This post has been edited by Marked: 02 September 2012 - 04:21 PM

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

Similar effects have been used in some other mods floating around out there...

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Nice work ZE.

20 Dollah Mode?

View PostGambini, on 02 September 2012 - 03:55 PM, said:

Looks good. You said you aren´t using polymer. how did you do the flashlight effect? is something related to visibility?

Flashlight is a combination of transparent mask and sector visibility

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 02 September 2012 - 09:13 PM

User is offline   Loke 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 02 September 2012 - 06:03 PM, said:

Nice work ZE.

20 Dollah Mode?

Gimme 20 dollars, gimme 20 dollars.

Slendy's about to make you his bitch.

User is offline   Jinroh 

New trailer looks sweet! Seems like it will go through a lot of varied locations and you'll be scared stiff because of it. The only thing that bugged me a teeny tiny bit was that the flashlight not moving broke the illusion for me. Other than that everything is perfect and man, can I not wait to play this.

Thanks. I tried to make it move, but failed. Maybe later I'll ask someone to help me with that.

User is offline   Jinroh 

I figured because your design is always so perfect, that it must have been a "technical" problem. I figured it wasn't something you intended to leave out.

This post has been edited by Jinroh: 03 September 2012 - 03:40 PM

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

addvarvar x weapon_xoffset
    subvarvar x looking_angSR1
    addvarvar y looking_arc
    subvarvar y gun_pos

Would get you the basic weapon sway that's already in EDuke32/Duke Nukem 3D.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Just to clarify, we're talking about the effect you see in games like Half-Life 2 and other modern shooters where the gun seems to sway when you move the mouse... Right?

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

I would suggest taking my weapons.con.sample, removing all the "weapon code" states except for the detonator, modifying whatever is necessary in the event at the bottom, then basing your code on that.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options