Duke4.net Forums: Slender's Woods (Release) - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Slender's Woods (Release)  "v 1.1"

User is offline   zykov eddy 

Hello guys! I finally tested the game and I think it's ready for a release. This is the first release, just for Duke4.net. The game is not released on IndieDB yet.

Important note: the game uses highres graphics, make sure your machine supports 32 bit mode.

Slender's Woods is a standalone horror mod, which is highly inspired by the famous Slender game by Parsec Productions. Like the original, it takes place in the woods (A forest is Slender man's homeland after all). The development have started a month after the original Slender game came out.
One of the main reasons this mod (I'll call it a game to make things easier) was made is to show a different atmosphere and gameplay done with the Slender man character. The goal is not to collect a certain amount of objects to win like in the most Slender tributes/clones. This game is more about storytelling and puzzle solving.
Here's an article about Slender man

The game has two modes with different gameplay:

1.Story mode, the main feature of the game, which plays like a quest with the enemy chasing you. You have to visit various locations, pick up/use items and solving the puzzles.
The story is about a man who decides to move into a house deep in the woods for a week. The man hears strange noises outside the house one night and decided to check it out. The story will have twists and sudden moments to make you more interested in solving the mystery.

2.Page collecting mode. You have to collect a certain amount of pages in the woods to survive (or maybe not). This mode is added just as a bonus for the fans of the original game.

You may unlock a small bonus if you beat both Story and Page Collecting modes.

Controls:

WSAD - movement
Mouse - look
Shift - sprint
E or left mouse button - use/open
F or right mouse button - flashlight on/off
Esc - menu
Space - shoot (Only if you have a pistol and ammo)

Tips:

* Don't look at the enemy for too long.
* The more you play the game, the faster the enemy becomes.
* The flashlight has a limited power, don't forget to collect batteries.
* Sprinting causes your maximum stamina to drop slightly, especially in the Page collecting mode.
* Don't forget to read the notes, they contain tips where you should go.
* Try to remember the layout of the level and pay attention to the signs.
* Story mode has checkpoints which allow you to save the game. To load the last game, simply access the Story mode menu section or hit "yes" on the continue screen.

Credits:
Zykov Eddy - Lead developer
SpyrotheFox - Artist
Aseptic Void - Composer
Tea Monster - Flashlight and Slender man models
Special thanks:
James Stanfield, Hendricks266, Dmitry Grigoryev, Nikolas, CrematorWii, Mister Sinister
Thanks to Agent Parsec for making an inspirational game

The menu font is taken from Top Shooter game/mod by Mblackwell

My blog: http://eddyprojects.blogspot.com
IndieDB page: http://indiedb.com/g.../slenders-woods
Aseptic Void page: http://asepticvoid.bandcamp.com (you can also check out the official soundtrack album here)
Artist page: http://spyrothefox.deviantart.com

Screenshots:

Posted Image

Posted Image

The game has been updated to v1.1
The list of changes:

1.Most of the bugs are fixed.
2.The game became less laggy.
3.More checkpoints added to make the game less frustating.
4.Fixed some of the confusing moments.
5.Increased the little stamina boost after getting tired too much.
6.Added some in-game tips.
7.Text file updated.

Download v1.1
Mirror

Good luck guys, hope you'll enjoy the game :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 01 December 2012 - 11:28 AM

User is offline   Loke 

I made it to the sawmill (after the mansion), smashed the gate and activated some sort power switch (?) whilst in the building. Not sure what to do after that?

Again I've never played these Slender Man games before but I think you definitely nailed the scare factor -- the atmosphere is amazing. I ran into a few noticeable framerate issues though, mostly in the forest while looking in certain directions.

Wow, this is even scarier than the original. I just had the mansion key from the underground tunnels and then slenderman was following me and got me in one of the corridors. It's awesome man, but i'm to scared to play right now xD

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

Is it Linux/Mac compatible (as in does it respect case sensitivity)?

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostMblackwell, on 19 October 2012 - 02:04 PM, said:

No.

• Evil Overlord

Please make it so. I would like to play it!

View PostLoke, on 19 October 2012 - 11:52 AM, said:

I made it to the sawmill (after the mansion), smashed the gate and activated some sort power switch (?) whilst in the building. Not sure what to do after that?

One of the doors have unlocked.

View PostMblackwell, on 19 October 2012 - 02:04 PM, said:

It's theoretically possible, but I'll have to contact some guys to do it.

Updated the link, fixed some glitches. The main glitch was the appearance of Slender man on a screen right after hitting "yes" on a continue screen in a Page collecting mode.

Also, my friend, who played the game in wide screen, got this weird screen bug:
Posted Image
But I'm not sure how to fix it.

Anyone with wide screen, have you got the same bug?

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 19 October 2012 - 06:30 PM

User is offline   Mark 

It looks fine on my widescreen monitor. I was only a minute or so into the game and already had a minor heart attack. Thanks. :D

I have always had over active reflexes so I'm probably going to be a nervous wreck when I'm finished. I think a you-tube video of me playing the game would be funny to watch :D

This post has been edited by Marked: 19 October 2012 - 07:04 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I hadn't played any slender games before, I played this one for 5 minutes or so and "died" or whatever happens when he catches you. I can tell you, I played it in broad daylight and I still got a bit of a jump Posted Image

• Evil Overlord

View Postzykov eddy, on 19 October 2012 - 06:25 PM, said:

It's theoretically possible, but I'll have to contact some guys to do it.

All that really needs to be done is making sure your DEF and CON files link to the filenames as they exist (so if a file is named "CoFFee.pNG" your DEF would be for "CoFFee.pNG" not "coffee.png")

http://wiki.eduke32....latform_Modding

View PostMblackwell, on 19 October 2012 - 08:34 PM, said:

All that really needs to be done is making sure your DEF and CON files link to the filenames as they exist (so if a file is named "CoFFee.pNG" your DEF would be for "CoFFee.pNG" not "coffee.png")

http://wiki.eduke32....latform_Modding

The problem is that the Slender's Woods.exe file also has some minor changes in it.

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 19 October 2012 - 08:41 PM

User is offline   faked 

Just downloaded,and going to play.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Brilliant game. The kids think it's great as well.

The only complaint I have is the footfall sfx. I think they are too loud and intrusive. I don't know if you changed them from the demo. I do like how they change when you are on different surfaces.

And yes, it's been remarked that light has been observed between my arse and the chair on several occasions.

Thanks!

Gonna make a release on indie DB today.

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 20 October 2012 - 06:14 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

Not patient enough for me to finish my betatest? or did you think it wasn't worth it? :D I didn't have time to play more yet.

Is there any major difference between the version I got and the version you released or can I just keep playing on the version I have?

User is offline   chicken 

• Fashionable Modeler

Just finished the storymode.
And i got exactly what i had expected (in a good sense).
A lot of atmosphere, creepyness and sometimes a slight fit of panic.
The whole thing looked, sounded and played really well imo.
And introducing the storymode was a good idea (instead of only the regular page-collecting).
It brings a new aspect to the slender-theme.
Criticism... maybe a few typos in the written text :D.
But screw that, you created something really cool that will receive recognition not only in the Duke-community but also from the Slender-fans.

View PostMetHy, on 20 October 2012 - 07:23 AM, said:

Not patient enough for me to finish my betatest? or did you think it wasn't worth it? :D I didn't have time to play more yet.

Is there any major difference between the version I got and the version you released or can I just keep playing on the version I have?

Yeah, I just couldn't wait to share this with everybody. Most of the testers have completed the game by this time and I fixed some bugs they've found. Sorry for tricking you :D

The version is slightly updated and also has a big readme file. I suggest you to download it.

View Postchicken, on 20 October 2012 - 08:07 AM, said:

Just finished the storymode.
And i got exactly what i had expected (in a good sense).
A lot of atmosphere, creepyness and sometimes a slight fit of panic.
The whole thing looked, sounded and played really well imo.
And introducing the storymode was a good idea (instead of only the regular page-collecting).
It brings a new aspect to the slender-theme.
Criticism... maybe a few typos in the written text :D.
But screw that, you created something really cool that will receive recognition not only in the Duke-community but also from the Slender-fans.

Thanks man, it's a pleasure to hear it. Gives me more motivation and hope :D

Just uploaded the game at Indie DB. Some guy even made a Let's Play of the game.

I also wrote and uploaded a big news article on the page, but the damn authorization is taking too long :D

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

Looks pretty cool; please post the full source code for your modified EDuke32 so that people can play it without having to rely on your Windows binary. Also please change your binary such that the EDuke32 credit screen isn't removed.

Also please fix your the package ASAP to include license terms for BUILDLIC and the GPL.

View PostPlagman, on 20 October 2012 - 11:11 AM, said:

please post the full source code for your modified EDuke32 so that people can play it without having to rely on your Windows binary.

Ok, I'll post them right after I contact the guy who made the changes

Also please change your binary such that the EDuke32 credit screen isn't removed.

It's not removed.

Also please fix your the package ASAP to include license terms for BUILDLIC and the GPL.

I'm afraid that the authorization of the updated file on Indie DB will take too long. Can I include these files in the second version of the game?

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 20 October 2012 - 11:30 AM

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

OK, it's a little non-obvious that you have to cycle through several times to access it, but I guess it's because you made all the Duke3D credit tiles into your credit screen instead of changing that part of the source?

Since your package is illegal as-is so anyone could ask IndieDB to take it down until you fix it; it's not like I'm going to do it or anything (at least not right now :D ), but the quicker you do it, the better.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostMblackwell, on 19 October 2012 - 04:29 PM, said:

Please make it so. I would like to play it!

Uper/Lower case compatibility:
Change the first letter of the following directories to lower case as usual on linux and within the HRP: Data, Music, Sounds, Highres, Font, models/Weapon. Rename font/symbols/-}.PNG to -}.png. Put the attached duke3d.def into the data folder or data.grp. Edit eduke32.cfg and change the ModDir entry from "Data" to "data".
The PNG renane seems non-trivial on Linux, therefore it's included in the attachment.

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  data.zip (7.27K)
    Number of downloads: 216

This post has been edited by LeoD: 20 October 2012 - 12:14 PM

Oh God, I get a great sense of satisfaction by watching these videos. At some point before the release I thought people gonna hate this game.

The most amusing thing is that the in-game tips actually work well and people aren't getting confused much.

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 20 October 2012 - 11:06 PM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

I can see why he has edited the original source to change the main menu titles etc.
Now I am sure it has been requested a few times about the ability to change this in CON so is it really so hard to enable this instead of having to edit the source to do it?

But yes Zykov Eddy, do fix the issues Plagman requests as you don't want to piss him or TX off. :D

View PostCody, on 21 October 2012 - 06:19 AM, said:

Now I am sure it has been requested a few times about the ability to change this in CON so is it really so hard to enable this instead of having to edit the source to do it?

I contacted Hendricks266 at 27 August and him asked to add the ability to edit the menu lines, but he was busy all this time and couldn't do anything to help me.

View PostCody, on 21 October 2012 - 06:19 AM, said:

But yes Zykov Eddy, do fix the issues Plagman requests as you don't want to piss him or TX off. :D

It's coming

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 21 October 2012 - 06:52 AM

User is offline   Diaz 

I can't play this. It makes me nervous and gives me goose bumps when the enemy appears. And I'm totally serious. If you wanted to scare the player, you sure as hell were successful!

And, with my +1, you are at 200 rep :D

I've given this a quick try, got as far as the underground tunnels, had to go out so I haven't gotten beyond that point yet. The game did do well enough as to make me jump (and dropping my cigarette, I have burns now. ) and there was a mild feeling of unease at times which I hope will intensify somewhat (I'm a hardened horror player by now so it takes longer to affect me). All-in-all, I like what I've played so far and am looking forward to firing it up again tonight - because night time with the lights off is the only way to play a game like this.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Maybe I should save this one for Halloween.

Thanks guys.

Btw, I don't know why, but just a moment ago a bunch of guys (Bots?) came on my Indie Db page and rated all my projects by 1.
I guess I should call the mods for fixing that.

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 21 October 2012 - 07:34 AM

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Rats. I'll give it a 10 just for that.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Another playthrough.

Don't worry about the downvotes, it's only a few of them, as soon as more people play this I guess that'll change. Let the haters hate.

EDIT: Actually you can see who voted the mod 1/10:
http://www.moddb.com...lter=t&rating=1

I noticed that most of these people who do let's plays don't actually follow the roads and get lost in the woods, wonder why's that.

This post has been edited by Daedolon: 21 October 2012 - 07:53 AM

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options