Duke4.net Forums: Doom 3: BFG Edition - Duke4.net Forums

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doom 3: BFG Edition  "PC, 360, and PS3."

User is offline   Kathy 

They still release game in the "main" series every year since 2009. Just like CoD.

Also, in both games you can kill people.

User is offline   Martin 

View PostBurnett, on 21 October 2012 - 10:16 AM, said:

They might be, but they don't feel much different either. Although, I'm judging just by SP.

Well, it basically goes like this;

COD4
World at War
==========
MW2
Black Ops
MW3
==========
Black Ops 2 (quite different from the previous)

Now, each of those tiers represents changes in multiplayer. COD4 and WaW are very simple. WaW is my favourite of them all, but that's beside the point. Anyway, COD4/WaW were simple gon-on-gun games, pretty much. There were three default killstreaks (UAV, artillery, COD4helicopter/WaWdogs) with simple perks. With MW2 came the advent of a plethora of interchangeable killstreaks, and a revamped perk system with 'pro perks'. You never knew what you were gonna be hit with, and the perk system was bloated. Black Ops tried to make better sense of all this, and succeeded in many cases, but still. MW3 is just.. crazy. Many different killstreaks all the time, perks up the ying yang. It's a good laugh now and again, but it's too crazy for me to want to play it a lot. Blops 2 is changing things once again. No more pro perks, and killstreaks have turned into pointstreaks for team-based actions, among other things.

Ultimately, even Black Ops 2 owes most of itself to COD4. It's just the mechanics surrounding the gameplay that have evolved, and some of the tech. It feels exactly the same to play MW3 as COD4. The controls are the same, your soldier man runs around the world in the same way, etc. Therefore, COD4 is the one that has to be deemed the 'classic' if any of them, even though my personal favourite is WaW. As an aside, after COD4 Infinity Ward seemed to drop the ball in my eyes, with Treyarch delivering the better games. Just my opinion. I like WaW best because it has the simplistic gameplay formula from COD4, but with a World War II setting which I find so much more interesting than boring modern conflict. Even the weapons are more badass. It's also the goriest one of all of them. Plus it was the one which first gave as Nazi Zombies, which I love to bits.

User is offline   thatguy 

View PostMartin, on 21 October 2012 - 08:04 PM, said:

COD4
World at War
==========
MW2
Black Ops
MW3
==========

Now, each of those tiers represents changes in multiplayer. COD4 and WaW are very simple. WaW is my favourite of them all, but that's beside the point. Anyway, COD4/WaW were simple gon-on-gun games, pretty much. There were three default killstreaks (UAV, artillery, COD4helicopter/WaWdogs) with simple perks. With MW2 came the advent of a plethora of interchangeable killstreaks, and a revamped perk system with 'pro perks'. You never knew what you were gonna be hit with, and the perk system was bloated. Black Ops tried to make better sense of all this, and succeeded in many cases, but still. MW3 is just.. crazy. Many different killstreaks all the time, perks up the ying yang. It's a good laugh now and again, but it's too crazy for me to want to play it a lot. Blops 2 is changing things once again. No more pro perks, and killstreaks have turned into pointstreaks for team-based actions, among other things.

Ultimately, even Black Ops 2 owes most of itself to COD4. It's just the mechanics surrounding the gameplay that have evolved, and some of the tech. It feels exactly the same to play MW3 as COD4. The controls are the same, your soldier man runs around the world in the same way, etc. Therefore, COD4 is the one that has to be deemed the 'classic' if any of them, even though my personal favourite is WaW. As an aside, after COD4 Infinity Ward seemed to drop the ball in my eyes, with Treyarch delivering the better games. Just my opinion. I like WaW best because it has the simplistic gameplay formula from COD4, but with a World War II setting which I find so much more interesting than boring modern conflict. Even the weapons are more badass. It's also the goriest one of all of them. Plus it was the one which first gave as Nazi Zombies, which I love to bits.

I never thought Black Ops had anything in common with MW. It had an actual intriguing well thought out story...a story that hasn't been told in gaming. Black Ops will never be compared to trash like MW to me. Gameplay, yeah maybe, but the level design offered a bit more than the sleezefest that is Modern Warfare. Not to mention, Treyarch offer more for their games. Look at the main menu easter egg in Black Ops. Escape the main menu chair, hack into the dos comp and play either Zork or the Smash TV like game. Thats beauty similiar to the way Duke was made.

This post has been edited by s.b.Newsom: 21 October 2012 - 08:14 PM

User is offline   Martin 

View Posts.b.Newsom, on 21 October 2012 - 08:12 PM, said:

I never thought Black Ops had anything in common with MW. It had an actual intriguing well thought out story...a story that hasn't been told in gaming. Black Ops will never be compared to trash like MW to me. Gameplay, yeah maybe, but the level design offered a bit more than the sleezefest that is Modern Warfare. Not to mention, Treyarch offer more for their games. Look at the main menu easter egg in Black Ops. Escape the main menu chair, hack into the dos comp and play either Zork or the Smash TV like game. Thats beauty similiar to the way Duke was made.

View PostMartin, on 21 October 2012 - 08:04 PM, said:

COD4
World at War
==========
MW2
Black Ops
MW3
==========

Now, each of those tiers represents changes in multiplayer. COD4 and WaW are very simple. WaW is my favourite of them all, but that's beside the point... etc

:D

User is offline   Lunick 

Would you guys like to make a Call of Duty thread?

User is offline   Bloodshot 

I liked CoD 1, 2, and 4.

Call of Duty: United Offensive was actually a great MP game.

User is offline   t800 

For me last good COD in MP was second one. I just detest concept of unlocking guns and using perks in fps genre. Yuck! :D
And Lunick is right, lets take this discussion to another topic, it already got off railed so much.

User is offline   Martin 

How's the multiplayer in Doom 3 BFG? I hear they haven't implemented co-op, which sucks balls. Two Xboxs, two TVs, an ethernet cable and two copies of Xbox 1 Doom 3 is a real fun time.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostLunick, on 21 October 2012 - 09:22 PM, said:

Would you guys like to make a Call of Duty thread?

Sorry, but I have to post this.

!

User is offline   Lunick 

This version is based on the PC version of Doom 3. The original Xbox version did have co-op.

I did manage to find a game though and it's fun if you can find people who have a low ping or you have a low ping (which is kinda obvious really?). It's no fun and hard to shoot at people when you have a high ping which unfortunately for me, happens a lot.

User is offline   Bloodshot 

I loved playing Doom 3 through cooperatively with the mod. It was actually one of the few coop mods that actually worked flawlessly for me.

View PostBloodshot, on 23 October 2012 - 07:12 PM, said:

I loved playing Doom 3 through cooperatively with the mod. It was actually one of the few coop mods that actually worked flawlessly for me.

Something we can relate to since coop with the original doom games were just friggin awesome! Doom 3 was no different...but could of been done even better.

User is offline   Kathy 

It seems Bethesda completely dumped original Doom 3 from steam. As fas as I checked and you can't even buy it through collection.

So I got in touch with id/Bethesda about the issue, and here’s what they said.

“DOOM 3 and Resurrection of Evil are now only available through the BFG Edition, which also includes the Lost Mission,” a rep told RPS. “If you already own the original versions of DOOM 3 and Resurrection of Evil, you will still be able to access them from within your Steam library.”

“We do realize that there are fans that would like to purchase the original version of the game, and we’re looking into options for them. When there’s new info to share, we’ll let everyone know.”

http://www.rockpaper...nked-from-steam

Maybe that has something to do with Activision? It is pretty obvious that ZeniMax and Activision have entered into some kind of deal since the ZeniMax - id acquisition. We saw this with the sudden Quake 4 re-release.

User is offline   Kathy 

It might be but either way Bethasda should sort this out unless they want it result in lost sales due to negative reception of BFG Edition and unavailable "proper" version.

Very much agreed!

User is offline   Skulldog 

If you already own DOOM 3, and ROE then you upgrade to BFG. Do you still keep old version on steam?

View PostSkulldog, on 24 October 2012 - 01:21 PM, said:

If you already own DOOM 3, and ROE then you upgrade to BFG. Do you still keep old version on steam?

Yes the old version will still be on steam. BFG is considered a separate game/app.

This post has been edited by s.b.Newsom: 24 October 2012 - 01:31 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

Posted Image

id is still here, somewhat. https://twitter.com/idBrianHarris seems to tweet a bit about the BFG edition and some console/config commands such as skipping cutscenes and setting the FOV.

View Posts.b.Newsom, on 24 October 2012 - 01:30 PM, said:

Yes the old version will still be on steam. BFG is considered a separate game/app.

Wrong. The old version of doom3 got pulled down from steam.

View PostMr.Deviance, on 25 October 2012 - 04:26 PM, said:

Wrong. The old version of doom3 got pulled down from steam.

Read the question asked in the quote which I replied to, then read my reply. Think.

Steam removed it from being purchased, but they didn't remove the game itself for those that bought it. That's like saying 'You bought Doom 3 and ROE? Well guess what, now you don't have the game at all. Go buy BFG'.

This post has been edited by s.b.Newsom: 25 October 2012 - 06:54 PM

You would have to be a bit late to the doom3 party, to buy it on steam anyway.
I bought the game when it came out in 2004 on pc and there was no steam back then.

User is offline   Kathy 

I wonder why GoG even releases these types of games. I mean... they're old.

View PostMr.Deviance, on 25 October 2012 - 07:39 PM, said:

You would have to be a bit late to the doom3 party, to buy it on steam anyway.
I bought the game when it came out in 2004 on pc and there was no steam back then.

Same here, but at some point I would of liked to get it on steam since I lost the disc. Funny, I wanted to buy it not to long ago so I can play some mods for it....now its pointless. My previous steam account had it but I sold the account out of desperation.

User is offline   Martin 

I regret to inform everyone that I caved and got this on PS3. Sorry boys. I got the PSN version to avoid the ridiculous minute-long loading times, which to me would make the game essentially unplayable. As it is, the loading times of the PSN release are much better (10-15 seconds), but still aren't all that great considering 1) it's old as shit 2) most of my disc games load just as fast, if not faster, and they're much newer games. That aside, I have three main issues, two of which I gather affect all platforms.

- Extremely limited control options. This must just be 360 and PS3 only. Anyway, you can't remap anything, and there's not nearly enough variety in the options presented. The default controls are the least objectionable, but that's not saying much. The big issue here is that sprinting and crouching are on L3 and R3 respectively, and criminally, there is no option to set crouch as a toggle. Xbox 1 Doom 3 had much better default controls than this, with greater options for customising them to boot. Sprinting being on L3 is just dumb, since that's my movement as well. Getting away from imp fireballs is proving much more hazardous than on my Xbox 1 copy (which had sprinting bound to the left trigger). I personally find it difficult to sprint and move in the direction/way that I intend. I often find myself careening into scenery, becoming stuck, and being mauled to death.

Crouching having no option for being a toggle is less of an issue, but still an issue. In all my games I'd have crouching as a toggle (and did so on Xbox 1 Doom 3). What's weird in all this is that it's as if they ran out of buttons, except they haven't; the circle button is completely unused. My solution would be simple. I'd have my controls as BFG default, except I'd move the torch from L1 to the circle button, move sprint to L1, and have crouch where it already is (R3), but as a toggle. For me, the game would be eminently more playable this way. It's such a simple thing. Allow us to remap our controls. The fact that the Xbox 1 version by Vicarious Visions had already gotten the controls right is just an embarrassment for id.

- Not being able to go back to the 'select game' screen from Doom and Doom II. A minor issue? I guess. It's just a pain. The best thing about BFG is that it's a package of Doom awesomeness, and the fact that I have to quit out to the XMB just to switch from one of the classic Dooms to anything else in the package is another weird oversight, and sullies the 'package' aspect somewhat. What makes it even more weird is that you can go back to this screen from Doom 3/RoE/Lost Mission. So, I can go back to this screen from 2004 Doom, but not 90s Doom? Really? Damn.

- The blood splatter/bullet decals glitch. Again, essentially a minor issue, but I cannot be having my Doom without all the gore. I don't understand what causes it. Sometimes there's blood splatter, sometimes there isn't.

The good news is that id are apparently working on a patch to fix these issues, which is good. I feared as a budget game they wouldn't bother. Still, these issues should never have been there.

On a lighter note, I like the game when I'm playing it. Runs very smoothly, with occasional hitches and tearing now and again. It's still a very dark, moody game regardless of the lighting changes. I'll have to concur with others that it seems easier. Maybe it's just because I'm getting 60fps, and therefore better controller response? It seems like I've always got plenty of ammo and health (unless I fail at dodging a fireball and get stuck..), and therefore it's less 'scary'. This could also just be because I've played the game before, I don't know. I'm used to having to be a real tight cunt with my ammo on Doom 3, but the last hour or two of BFG gameplay I pretty much gave up on that. I just had full everything all the time, near enough. So I started running and gunning a lot more.

It's still a good-looking game, if you ask me. Yeah it's not a match for the new games, but there's just something about Doom 3. I love the visual design, and therefore in my eyes it's aged pretty well. Some of the cut-scenes look crude, but when playing it I find the game to be easy on the eyes. Multiplayer is a good oldschool laugh, and I like it when I can get a game with low ping. I actually played multiplayer a lot to get the multiplayer trophies out of the way (I now have them all!). A week after launch, and players are already kind of thin on the ground. I want the platinum trophy for this one, so I got those pesky multiplayer trophies out the way while there's still chance. I'll admit it - I 'boosted' the trophy where you have to kill two players with one rocket. The rest I was just very sneaky. I don't know how long I hid for in a teleporter room so I could 'telefrag' them (follow them in to the teleporter straight away). I skulked in a dark corner for ages waiting for a dude to use the damn thing. Finally did it.

I'm going to enjoy having this in my collection, and slowly getting the platinum. So much content to get through, but I'm in no rush.

I haven't played The Lost Mission yet, but I hear there's nothing new about it and it's just reused shit from Doom 3. That's pretty fucking hilarious if true! Still, Doom 3 and RoE are awesome (and certainly look leagues better on PS3 than they do on Xbox 1!). I'll just regard The Lost Mission as a crappy bonus. I guess hearing Colonel Campbell will make it cool. I'll pretend to be Solid Snake, stuck in the wrong game.

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostMartin, on 26 October 2012 - 01:19 AM, said:

I regret to inform everyone that I caved and got this on PS3. Sorry boys. I got the PSN version to avoid the ridiculous minute-long loading times, which to me would make the game essentially unplayable. As it is, the loading times of the PSN release are much better (10-15 seconds), but still aren't all that great considering 1) it's old as shit 2) most of my disc games load just as fast, if not faster, and they're much newer games. That aside, I have three main issues, two of which I gather affect all platforms.

- Extremely limited control options.

PC can remap :D

- Not being able to go back to the 'select game' screen from Doom and Doom II.

Sounds weird for consoles but that is not the same in the pc version.

- The blood splatter/bullet decals glitch.

Being fixed in a patch. Unsure if it's coming to consoles

I haven't played The Lost Mission yet, but I hear there's nothing new about it and it's just reused shit from Doom 3. That's pretty fucking hilarious if true! Still, Doom 3 and RoE are awesome (and certainly look leagues better on PS3 than they do on Xbox 1!). I'll just regard The Lost Mission as a crappy bonus. I guess hearing Colonel Campbell will make it cool. I'll pretend to be Solid Snake, stuck in the wrong game.

You're right about the Lost Mission. I only enjoyed the Hell levels part of it and even then, the boss is shitty. You are right about PS3 being better in this case too.

This post has been edited by Lunick: 26 October 2012 - 02:10 AM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostBurnett, on 25 October 2012 - 08:13 PM, said:

I wonder why GoG even releases these types of games. I mean... they're old.

Is there something I'm missing here? I thought that was the point of Good Old Games.

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostAchenar, on 26 October 2012 - 04:54 AM, said:

Is there something I'm missing here? I thought that was the point of Good Old Games.

They ditched the Old part though?

User is offline   Martin 

Perhaps it's an elaborate joke?

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostAchenar, on 26 October 2012 - 04:54 AM, said:

It was my answer to Mr.D's post: "You would have to be a bit late to the doom3 party, to buy it on steam anyway".

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options