Duke4.net Forums: Doom 3: BFG Edition - Duke4.net Forums

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doom 3: BFG Edition  "PC, 360, and PS3."

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Ermmm, sorry, but no. The bfg edition wont support existing mods. This may change in the future as a number of enterprising people are waiting to pounce on the source code when its released.

• Polymancer

Double post

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 07 November 2012 - 12:36 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

I think he was talking about original's return to Steam.

User is offline   thatguy 

View PostBurnett, on 07 November 2012 - 12:42 PM, said:

I think he was talking about original's return to Steam.

Indeed. I thought it was quite obvious to anyone actually reading the thread.

User is offline   Lunick 

http://www.bethblog.com/

Good news for our DOOM modding community. Beginning today on GitHub, the GPL source code for DOOM 3 BFG Edition is available on the site’s id Software page.

Additionally, the next time you boot up the game on Steam, you’ll receive the new PC title update for the game. For more, read the release notes below.

NEW FEATURES

All projectiles cast shadows
Texture LOD bias added to menu options
Added option to force v-sync (instead of “smart v-sync”)
Adjusted default brightness value
Shadow casting projectiles added to menu options
Allow setting anti-aliasing up to 16x on Nvidia hardware. AMD/Intel cap is at 8x
Adjusted range of vertical sensitivity (allows you to lower sensitivity further than original implementation)
Added option to disable checkpoints
Allow left/right to enter resolution menu
Variable FOV settings options were added into the main menu
Added controller bind options
Added additional anti-cheat measures

BUG FIXES

Fixed blood splatter effects break after reloading save game
Fixed broken view nodal code that allowed players to see through the world by backing into a wall and looking up
Fixed weapon impact effects break after using the artifact (heart)
Fixed leaderboards to work across languages

Thats some pretty cool news. I bought BFG edition when it was on sale on Steam. :P

User is offline   Zagro 

id Software Releases Doom 3 BFG Source-Code.

User is offline   Lunick 

That was in my post Zagro :P

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Zing!

Despite the sales discounts on both Doom 3 and BFG edition, I still haven't bought or played the games. I want a fairly pure shooter, and Doom 3 doesn't sound like that. I was considering buying it for any good mods but I figured mod authors can now make them stand alone now anyway so that lessens the need.

Btw what is it with companies selling games from 5+ years ago as if they're still fairly new games? Age of Empires 3, Command and Conquer 3, Doom 3 BFG to name a few, and even the original Doom 1 and 2 are still going for $10! Do they actually want us to pirate the original Dooms? Because at that price and at the ease of pirating it, it's pretty tempting if you don't already own it.

Of course it's ironic that the fact that Id are still selling them for $10 that they know people still wan to play them, but I bet Doom 4 is still going to be completely different...

View PostMicky C, on 27 November 2012 - 06:03 AM, said:

Zing!

Despite the sales discounts on both Doom 3 and BFG edition, I still haven't bought or played the games. I want a fairly pure shooter, and Doom 3 doesn't sound like that. I was considering buying it for any good mods but I figured mod authors can now make them stand alone now anyway so that lessens the need.

The source code has been available for over a year. I haven't been seeing any standalone projects like you said. :/

Also

Like earlier id Software code drops, the game's data remains proprietary so you must purchase the game still, but the engine is fully opened up under the GNU GPL.

This post has been edited by s.b.Newsom: 27 November 2012 - 12:26 PM

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

View Posts.b.Newsom, on 27 November 2012 - 12:25 PM, said:

The source code has been available for over a year. I haven't been seeing any standalone projects like you said. :/

I can think of three total conversions that are underway. Hexen: Edge of Chaos, Arx Fatalis: End of Sun, and The Dark Mod which has made huge progress towards being a fully standalone project. It's a massive undertaking so it will take some doing before all the Doom 3 assets are replaced and it can be downloaded for free, although next year is looking likely.

• Polymancer

1. http://www.doom3worl...hp?f=39&t=25953

He's currently developing a 'stand-alone' version of the game that could be used as a basis for game authors.

2. http://blackenmace.com/
They are working towards a complete game production studio, including built-in megatexture creation.

I'd rather just work with UDK. Everything you need to make a great looking game. :P

User is offline   Lunick 

Um Micky, I checked Steam and Doom, Doom 2 and Final Doom are actually 5 bucks each. Doom 3 going for 10 bucks and bundled with the expansion is 13 bucks. Are we looking in the same place because I think that's a bargain.

EDIT: I take it back. The price WAS 5 bucks but they made it go back to the original price they were offering it at. Wtf?

This post has been edited by Lunick: 27 November 2012 - 06:24 PM

• Honored Donor

You were looking at the prices on sale :P

• Polymancer

Cryengine is looking kinda tasty at the moment.

• Honored Donor

More so than frostbite 2?

User is offline   Kathy 

Considering the talk is about free development and modding then frostbite 2 is kind of shitty in that regard.

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostMicky C, on 28 November 2012 - 02:18 AM, said:

You were looking at the prices on sale :P

No. They were that price when they came back. Look at my post here http://forums.duke4....post__p__140639

And I know why now: http://www.steampric...pp/2300/doom-ii

The game is cheaper in the US. 50%

This post has been edited by Lunick: 28 November 2012 - 06:36 AM

• Polymancer

There is a lot of talk about how 'vital' a modding community is to a game, but nobody is putting the tools out there. Even Id have stiffed the fans.

Cryengine is cool but not as great as you think. I'm working with Open Outcast for its finally run and it isn't worth working on over an engine like UDK which everything for free projects and commercial projects without DRM for a fucking toolset.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Bought this when it was 50% off on Steam. I'm calling that a huge bargain because there's so much content.

Anyways, just finished Ultimate Doom on ultraviolence (you get an achievement for that; I'm glad they decided to include quite a bit of achievements for this package). Apart from the fourth episode (my favorite), it was pretty easy. But that's a given, considering I've played quite a bit of usermaps over the years. At the same time, it was quite dull. I have always disliked the Chaingun; it looks ugly, sounds weak and is weak. So you're basically left with nothing but the shotgun to shoot tons of enemies, many of them pinkies that take three shots to die. There are also many spots in the second episode (the weakest episode) where you're completely out of bullets, which I don't think is a good way to increase difficulty. Btw, the whole thing took me just 3.6 hours, which is quite ironic considering how oldskool gamers never stop whining about how short some modern games are.

Moving on to Doom 2 next, then its official console expansion episode, No Rest for the Living, which I can't wait to play (haven't had a chance to play it before).

User is offline   Bloodshot 

Play brutal doom

User is offline   Loke 

View PostBloodshot, on 04 January 2013 - 02:49 PM, said:

Play brutal doom

The Chaingun in that is fucking brutal.

[quote name='Mikko_Sandt]Moving on to Doom 2 next' date=' then its official console expansion episode, No Rest for the Living, which I can't wait to play (haven't had a chance to play it before).[/quote']

It's hard, not Plutonia hard, but will definitely give you a nice challenge. Be sure to conserve your ammo.

User is offline   Tetsuo 

To think a lot of people I knew couldn't handle playing Doom without entering in all the cheats. Then they complained that it's completely mindless! Some of the people I knew would, whenever they see a person playing Doom.... enter in the cheat codes for them thinking they are doing them a favor. :P

To be fair though Doom before more modern control methods was tougher to play.

User is offline   Kathy 

Nah, at first it may be hard, but once you get a hang of the controls and rules, you probably could be almost as good. It was designed with that controls in mind after all.

User is offline   Bloodshot 

I pretty much play how it was intended on my laptop, and the same way with Duke3D, Quake, Daggerfall, and other games because I don't have a spare mouse for it so I pretty much have to use the keyboard on it if I want to play a game.

User is offline   Tetsuo 

Quake was the game that popularized keyboard and mouse controls so I wouldn't say it was only intended to be played with a keyboard. Even Duke was one of the first games that gave us mouselook.

BTW, back to Doom: I meant relative difficulty to playing the game with a keyboard and mouse. Does anyone really dispute Doom being easier with a keyboard and mouse or hell.. even a modern gamepad? Yes, I was pretty good with just keyboard back in the day I even started doing a form of circle strafing with it. People make do with what they have. But it wasn't until keyboard and mouse look took off that I really started viewing it as "I can't believe this was considered very difficult... it's fairly easy now on everything but nightmare".

BTW, at one time id software recommended the mouse for doom for circle strafing. The first time I had heard of that technique was from someone visiting their offices and seeing them perform it.

I have to admit the mouse wasn't as popular back then for the Y axis being bound to moving forward and backward which was cumbersome for many people.

This post has been edited by Tetsuo: 04 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Ran into a bit of trouble in Doom 2 while playing Downtown on ultraviolence. One of the elevators refused to go all the way up, leaving me without a key, so I had to restart the map from scratch, i.e., without any of the guns I had picked up previously. It was an endless save/load effort but I made it. Anyway, as I have always felt, Doom 2 is clearly superior to Doom. Map design, even if still abstract, is better with bigger, more detailed and more entertaining maps. The super shotgun is awesome not to mention the new monsters. Took me about 4 hours.

Then I played No Rest for the Living, but unfortunately I realized I had played it before. Anyways, it's still good (and much harder on ultraviolence than Doom/Doom 2 are) but it's the kind of stuff the internet is filled with. Doom usermaps suffer from repetitive environments and rather dull combat, especially when mappers overdo it. There's no question Duke3D is the superior game.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Finished Doom 3 on Veteran last night. I found it a bit easy actually. Only in the last few maps there were some tough spots where you were surrounded by several tough monsters at once. I also got some "speedrunner" achievement for completing the game in less than 10 hours but that's an extremely generous time limit if you ask me. It's been quite a few years since I last laid my hands on this game but I found myself still enjoying it very much. The environment may be repetitive but I love how it's been made alive with all kinds of functional machinery and ambient sounds. The only bigger disappointment was Hell, which has too cliché a look.

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options