• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Black Mesa 2012 media campaign

User is online   Sangman 

View Postfuegerstef, on 28 September 2012 - 11:11 PM, said:

About the feamle assasins. I think there aren't really more in HL. IIRC you don't see one single assasin in HL1 when you play on easy.

Nah they're there on all skill levels IIRC. On Hard they are semi-invisible. And yeah only a couple of them appear on 2 occassions.

User is offline   Loke 

View PostSangman, on 29 September 2012 - 01:50 AM, said:

Nah they're there on all skill levels IIRC.

Yeah.

View PostBloodshot, on 28 September 2012 - 09:12 PM, said:

Black Mesa has actually got me really interested in HL again. I'm probably going to play HL2 and it's episodes soon,.)

I love HL2, and that was the first one of the series I played. It added the different headcrabs, Antlions etc...but I wonder why Valve didnt include some of the organic weapons/monsters we saw in HL1? I would of loved the Snarks in HL2! Of course since Snarks will attack anything (except for Chumtoads), they would of had to be coded to attack Antlions and Venom headcrabs and all of that. I guess it would of been a mess to do. And I'm damn excited about Opposing Force II.

I like the animation (if you dont move for 30 seconds) that the BMS team gave our beloved Snarks! Damn things are cute.

This post has been edited by Blue Lightning: 29 September 2012 - 06:13 AM

User is offline   Bloodshot 

A lot of shit was cut from HL2, including some HL1 enemies, and some of the arsenal. I only wish they didn't cut so much because I would've loved to see Xen creatures scattered around the landscape like the story describes.

That being said, I actually beat HL2 first I believe, but once I went back and played all the way through HL1 I ended up enjoying it a lot more than HL2.

User is offline   Loke 

View PostBloodshot, on 29 September 2012 - 09:00 AM, said:

A lot of shit was cut from HL2, including some HL1 enemies, and some of the arsenal. I only wish they didn't cut so much because I would've loved to see Xen creatures scattered around the landscape like the story describes.

I'm bummed they cut out a large portion of the HL2 intro. As it is now it pales in comparison to the HL intro. Would've loved to see the original script in motion that the Raising the Bar book described.

User is online   Sangman 

I just started replaying HL2. It's still fun and looks good, but it doesn't feel like it aged particularily well. Back in the day I found the game very immersive but now that I'm a bit older... So far the game world from Point Insertion up until the end of Water Hazard feels almost completely devoid of life. For example, Point Insertion used to be really impressive to me cause it dumped you in a police-state and you witnessed just how assholish the Combine really were, ... These things are still true but when playing it now I started to pay attention to other things: at any given time there might be merely 5 NPC's in any given room and they'll all have the same voice. There's very little activity in the game world at all. Made me think "how the fuck is this game of the decade material". ;)

It's hard to remember why I liked it so much. Maybe back then this was all revolutionary? Now I just feel like I played a million games that are better than HL2.

This post has been edited by Sangman: 29 September 2012 - 09:37 AM

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

It's only about a year since the last time I played HL2 and I still enjoyed it as much as before. I think the world is supposed to feel a bit devoid of life, kinda like Pyongyang.

This post has been edited by Mikko_Sandt: 29 September 2012 - 10:25 AM

User is online   Sangman 

Thankfully things get much better from Ravenholm onwards. Ironically enough Ravenholm feels very much alive indeed, what with all the zombies running around.

User is offline   Kathy 

Quite frankly, Revenholm was the least liked level for me. Imagine my surprise when people praised it as being the best in the game.

And I don't remember running zombies in HL2.

User is online   Sangman 

View PostBurnett, on 29 September 2012 - 03:03 PM, said:

And I don't remember running zombies in HL2.

LOL love the "Friday the 13th" music thrown in the video!

Also "fast headcrabs" which were on the "fast zombies" heads. I think Ravenholm was so epic for a few reasons: one reason is due to Alyx's reference to it while you are in Black Mesa East. What many dont know is after she says"that tunnel leads to Ravenholm...we dont go there anymore", if you actually go into the tunnel (which is blocked off after just a few feet) she will follow you in and give you a story about Ravenholm. That was an interesting little egg of sorts.

Then later while the place is crumbling, on a video monitor Alyx tells her dad that they are blocked and he tells her :"take Gordon out of here, head for the coast. Do not go through Raven..*static*"....it cuts off. That moment was very chilling! Then when you are going through the Ravenholm tunnel, there are signs like "keep out" and "stop".

That whole build-up to where you were about to go was so well done, so suspensful, I think it helped make the level epic before you ever get there! I also think Father Grigory and his crazy traps were another big reason the fans liked the level.

This post has been edited by Blue Lightning: 29 September 2012 - 05:42 PM

I hated the Ravenholm level when I first played it, but after I was older and played through it again, i liked it a lot more, especially with all the traps you could kill the headcrab zombies with.

And surprisingly, with the exception of a few good songs, in general I like Kelly Bailey's work on the HL2 OST more then the HL1 ost, especially songs like "LG Orbifold" (my favorite), "You're not supposed to be here", "CP Violation", and "Apprehension and Evasion", although I like HL1 better as a game.

I am really curious as to how HL2 would have been had the darker style of environments "and tone of story, although it is fairly dark now" of the beta made it through to release, apparently Ravenholm was one of the few things even remotely reminiscent of Viktor Antonov's work that made it into HL2 retail.

I think HL2 still holds up quite well graphically for an 04 game, especially compared to games of the time. It was probably one of the first "next gen" games where everything didn't look like it was encased in plastic, and people actually looked like people. Sure things are a bit low-res and blocky now, but when you compare it to gfx like Doom 3 or Far Cry, they did a good job of making it "look" better without needing as much processing power either.

This post has been edited by Bloodshot: 29 September 2012 - 11:13 PM

User is offline   ---- 

I hope that the BM team will balance the Marines a little more. Not because they are too hard to play against, but because they kick the aliens' asses every time they meet.

It makes no sense really to "retreat" and "Forget about Freeman, we are out" and saying that the aliens get the upperhand ... while in every encounter all aliens are easy cannonfodder for the marines.

When playing BM I didn't get the feel of the Xen creatures starting to dominate. From what I saw ingame it would more be like "OK, Marines, we can easily beat the alien creatures, give us a few hours and the place is cleaned"

Then there is missing a part of Surface Tension (because the mapper left the team) where in HL1 it is further shown that the aliens start to dominate.

And third: The Gargantua in Surface Tension follwing you is completely ignoring the marines on his way, as if they are no threat to the Xen forces (which they are, as they could come out start the mortar attack too).

Some more dead bodies of Maries would also help and a bit more action with the Mantas in the sky too.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 30 September 2012 - 02:03 AM

User is offline   thatguy 

View PostLoke, on 29 September 2012 - 09:13 AM, said:

I'm bummed they cut out a large portion of the HL2 intro. As it is now it pales in comparison to the HL intro. Would've loved to see the original script in motion that the Raising the Bar book described.

Bummed or not. It would be fun to see all the unreleased content. Though I'm happy it wasn't in the final product. So many things seemed unbalanced, others out of place. Valve is known for taking their time and properly analyzing the gaming, every step of the way to provide the best experience possible.

I don't know if anyone remembers, but the 1998 release of Half-Life had a vastly different menu system from the Steam version and HL2. My favorite thing about it was perhaps the animated logo that displayed atop the screen.

As a sort of mini-mod, I am animating the BM logo in a similar vein to use as a texture placed in front of the camera in a menu background map, to simulate the same effect.

Here's what I have so far:
(note this isn't all the frames, needs a lot more still for a smooth animation, and also it should play faster)
Posted Image

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

That hurts my eyes.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostBloodshot, on 30 September 2012 - 11:14 AM, said:

I don't know if anyone remembers, but the 1998 release of Half-Life had a vastly different menu system from the Steam version and HL2. My favorite thing about it was perhaps the animated logo that displayed atop the screen.

As a sort of mini-mod, I am animating the BM logo in a similar vein to use as a texture placed in front of the camera in a menu background map, to simulate the same effect.

Here's what I have so far:
(note this isn't all the frames, needs a lot more still for a smooth animation, and also it should play faster)
Posted Image

The flash is a might too intensive, but otherwise that looks pretty much spot on with the Half-Life looper. Posted Image

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostSangman, on 29 September 2012 - 09:36 AM, said:

I just started replaying HL2. It's still fun and looks good, but it doesn't feel like it aged particularily well. Back in the day I found the game very immersive but now that I'm a bit older... So far the game world from Point Insertion up until the end of Water Hazard feels almost completely devoid of life. For example, Point Insertion used to be really impressive to me cause it dumped you in a police-state and you witnessed just how assholish the Combine really were, ... These things are still true but when playing it now I started to pay attention to other things: at any given time there might be merely 5 NPC's in any given room and they'll all have the same voice. There's very little activity in the game world at all. Made me think "how the fuck is this game of the decade material". ;)

It's hard to remember why I liked it so much. Maybe back then this was all revolutionary? Now I just feel like I played a million games that are better than HL2.

I only played it for the first time about a year ago, and it was still good. Graphics were fine (as long as you don't look at something under a microscope it all looks fairly modern, and at least it was consistent). It didn't really pick up for me until the revolution had actually started, which I think was in the second half of the game. Until then it just felt like running away which didn't appeal to me on a personal level. I definitely enjoyed it and despite the linearity I might play it again in a few years (unlike DNF).

To put this in context, I had only played a bit of the original halflife, which had its moments, but otherwise was a real grind to play through. It wasn't until Black Mesa that it was actually enjoyable enough to play all the way through. I prefer the second half of HL2 and the HL2 episodes over Black Mesa for the most part, but only by a small amount.

User is online   Sangman 

Yeah HL2 gets much better from Ravenholm onwards. (well except for Sandtraps - fuck that shit!)

Nova Prospekt, the revolution, the Citadel... are all really cool. Started EP1 now ;)

View PostSangman, on 01 October 2012 - 09:34 AM, said:

Yeah HL2 gets much better from Ravenholm onwards. (well except for Sandtraps - fuck that shit!)

Nova Prospekt, the revolution, the Citadel... are all really cool. Started EP1 now ;)

I Love Sandtraps...trying to keep off the sand, plus you still have the car for the first half of the level. But Im more the adventure/explorer type, whereas your more the action/battles type I think. I like the sprawling open Highway 17, Sandtraps, Water Hazard levels. You probebly like the fighting alongside the rebels in AntiCitizen One. A lot of players like that action. Mabye the feelling of being part of a fighting force?

One thing about Ravenholm. I always knew that even the Combine wouldnt go there. But I just thought of something more profound last night...even the G-man doesnt go there! I cant remember any G-man (or Combine) sightings in Ravenholm. That makes the level even more prolific!

And the fact that the last you see of Grigory, he is laughing while surrounded by flames and his un-ruley flock...you dont know what happens to him, and you never see him again. That just adds to the legendary level in my opinion. Hell, Ravenholm was a story within the story!

This post has been edited by Blue Lightning: 01 October 2012 - 04:56 PM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostBlue Lightning, on 01 October 2012 - 04:40 PM, said:

I Love Sandtraps...trying to keep off the sand, plus you still have the car for the first half of the level. But Im more the adventure/explorer type, whereas your more the action/battles type I think. I like the sprawling open Highway 17, Sandtraps, Water Hazard levels. You probebly like the fighting alongside the rebels in AntiCitizen One. A lot of players like that action. Mabye the feelling of being part of a fighting force?

Being the old-school FPS player that I am, I tend to ignore the teammate AI in Anticitizen One. I just run out there guns blazing with reckless abandon without really caring what happens to my teammates. No doubt Gordon would behave the same way, considering he basically stopped an alien invasion singlehandedly in Half-Life 1.

Yes, the scientists gave him all the tools to work with, but he had to fight through the entire damn facility to get to them. Gordon did it 'cause no one else could.

This post has been edited by Achenar: 01 October 2012 - 07:22 PM

View PostAchenar, on 01 October 2012 - 07:21 PM, said:

Being the old-school FPS player that I am, I tend to ignore the teammate AI in Anticitizen One. I just run out there guns blazing with reckless abandon without really caring what happens to my teammates. No doubt Gordon would behave the same way, considering he basically stopped an alien invasion singlehandedly in Half-Life 1.

Yes, the scientists gave him all the tools to work with, but he had to fight through the entire damn facility to get to them. Gordon did it 'cause no one else could.

So you like me then? loving Highway 17 and Water Hazard where your alone and can explore by yourself?

This post has been edited by Blue Lightning: 01 October 2012 - 07:56 PM

• Honored Donor

View PostBlue Lightning, on 01 October 2012 - 07:55 PM, said:

So you like me then? loving Highway 17 and Water Hazard where your alone and can explore by yourself?

I like you ;)

;)

I meant "your" like me

This post has been edited by Blue Lightning: 02 October 2012 - 02:40 AM

• Honored Donor

I hate to sound like a tool, and take it this much off-topic, but it's "you're", you made that mistake in 2 separate posts.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostBlue Lightning, on 02 October 2012 - 02:39 AM, said:

I meant "your" like me

Wow. ;)

User is offline   LkMax 

I can't understand how so many people confuses "your" with "you're". The apostrophe in this situation represents that something is "hiding" like the are from you are (you're). I'm not even a native english speaker (sometimes I make mistakes too, but not this kind of mistake).

View PostBloodshot, on 30 September 2012 - 11:14 AM, said:

-image-

Cool, that brings back pre-Steam memories. Also good times of lan-parties playing Counter-Strike and Red Alert 2. =P

User is online   Sangman 

View PostBlue Lightning, on 01 October 2012 - 04:40 PM, said:

You probebly like the fighting alongside the rebels in AntiCitizen One.

Hell no, they constantly get in the way. ;) But yeah I just think the general atmosphere is better later in the game. Route Kanal and Water Hazard are just chapters where barely anything happens.

Also taking the episodes into account as well it seems obvious to me that Valve really learned how to use their tools better over time.

I actually really like Water Hazard for the parts where the action ramps up. I especially love when you are driving through the waste and You're not supposed to be here plays because it's one of my favorite songs, or the final helicopter battle just because, like half-life 1, I found it quite satisfying being able to finally kill the damn thing.

I do agree the atmosphere is better later on though, but I really enjoyed WH for those reasons. Also I liked the way the airboat handles.

Plus Water Hazard is where you see the all-knowing Vortigaunt ;)

Changed the animation quite a bit, to make it easier on the eyes, and also because I didn't even realize what effect the original WON logo was trying to achieve before.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Bloodshot: 02 October 2012 - 08:03 PM

User is offline   thatguy 

View PostBloodshot, on 02 October 2012 - 06:54 PM, said:

Changed the animation quite a bit, to make it easier on the eyes, and also because I didn't even realize what effect the original WON logo was trying to achieve before.

Posted Image

Funny how great valve was, made a background for a menu that was so distracting and annoying. ;) Not something that made the game memorable for me.

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options