Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem 3D: Forever - Duke4.net Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem 3D: Forever  "Duke Nukem 3D with DNF assets"

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 09 June 2012 - 04:44 PM, said:

Doesn't look bad, but I'd look out for a Cease and Desist in your future.

View PostAchenar, on 09 June 2012 - 05:06 PM, said:

Yeah, I wouldn't be too open about your project. I gather that Gearbox monitors these forums frequently.

People with projects like this have a hard time resisting the need to show everyone what they are working on. Plus the need for feedback is also important to them and the project itself. The downside is risking getting shut down, and that would suck. If you guys would just stop and think. 'hmm, is there a possibility or slight chance that what I'm working on here be shut down?' If you even have one shred of doubt in your mind, you should do it as quietly as you can. Show only a select few you really, really trust for their feedback and suggestions privately. Work on it untill finished and fully tested, and then, release the frigging thing! And there would be no stopping it by anyone once it's out.
And furthermore, Gearbox don't have to monitor this site at all. It only takes one user lurking the forums to post a thread over at GB linking to this topic 'Look what I found at D4net!!' by said asshole.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Well it's not like this is a Duke mod being done on other engine, the resources are used solely in Duke 3D and you have to own Duke 3D to use them. People using any other engine can't say the same. I know this probably isn't a real defence, but using Duke assets in one game in another Duke game may just be enough to not bother Gearbox too much.

About the battlelord, why not just use the HRP battlelord? It's definitely next-gen enough for the job.

View PostMicky C, on 12 June 2012 - 05:52 PM, said:

Well it's not like this is a Duke mod being done on other engine, the resources are used solely in Duke 3D and you have to own Duke 3D to use them. People using any other engine can't say the same. I know this probably isn't a real defence, but using Duke assets in one game in another Duke game may just be enough to not bother Gearbox too much.

That could be just the 'loophole' it needs to avoid a shutdown. It might also be a good idea (based on the thread title) to drop the 'Forever' word if that's the intended title for the mod. Maybe something like
DN 3D 3 or something.

User is offline   xMobilemux 

View PostMicky C, on 12 June 2012 - 05:52 PM, said:

About the battlelord, why not just use the HRP battlelord? It's definitely next-gen enough for the job.

Because I cant pose the HRP Battlelord and that would be better for NukemDave's DN3DHD project probably.

View PostVinsaneOne, on 12 June 2012 - 06:29 PM, said:

It might also be a good idea (based on the thread title) to drop the 'Forever' word if that's the intended title for the mod. Maybe something like
DN 3D 3 or something.

I was gonna name it Duke Nukem 4D first but I didnt think it seemed right.

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

DNF 3D. They don't have that trademarked, do they?

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on 12 June 2012 - 07:33 PM, said:

DNF 3D. They don't have that trademarked, do they?

The 'DNF' part of it, maybe. Everyone knows what that stands for. Hell, it's only a mod for Duke 3d and they might not even give a shit unless no credit was given to the authors of the art work.

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

I don't think it matters what you call it if you're still going to use assets from DNF. Making sprites from the models might be ok, but if you start using other things in there, like sounds, music, textures, there could be a problem, but I don't know.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Using any of it is technically a no-no.

You're not supposed to use the assets raw, or modified in anyway. It's a violation of the license.

But who gives a f*ck about that. If they won't let us mod DNF, bring DNF to where it can be modded. Duke3D. The King of First Person Shooters.

User is offline   ---- 

Looking awesome.

I could map a bit for it to get the DNF feel across. I think even I can do one long corridor with a few corners without having much experience in Mapster32.

EDIT:
And I will only place 2 weapons in that corridor ... maybe four in a patched version of the map.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 13 June 2012 - 02:11 AM

• Honored Donor

Let's make it a CBP. I'll do a fancy lift with a mirror in it which takes 2 minutes to get to the top, where you'll be locked in place with forcefields for 5 minutes, watching some sectors rise up to simulate grass growing.

Edit: Actually better make it an episode where each level takes 2 minutes with either one or no enemies.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 13 June 2012 - 03:22 AM

User is offline   ---- 

That sounds like a good idea.

Instead of the enemies in the levels new doors could be implemented. You have to press space about 15 times until the door opens (and a timer resets it if you don't press fast enough).

And of course we need to implement you-are-currently-crouching-in-case-you-forgot-icons and messages that you have to press use to use something. Both need to be almost in the center of the screen.

Recording one episode of The Kardashians and/or Jersey Shore should be enough for the dialogue.

View PostMicky C, on 13 June 2012 - 03:21 AM, said:

Edit: Actually better make it an episode where each level takes 2 minutes with either one or no enemies.

Except for the first level. That takes about one hour for completeing, but Duke doesn't have any weapons yet nor are there any enemies.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 13 June 2012 - 05:14 AM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostMicky C, on 13 June 2012 - 03:21 AM, said:

Let's make it a CBP. I'll do a fancy lift with a mirror in it which takes 2 minutes to get to the top, where you'll be locked in place with forcefields for 5 minutes, watching some sectors rise up to simulate grass growing.

I'll have a map for y'all this evening. :)

• Honored Donor

View Postfuegerstef, on 13 June 2012 - 05:04 AM, said:

Except for the first level. That takes about one hour for completeing, but Duke doesn't have any weapons yet nor are there any enemies.

View PostAchenar, on 13 June 2012 - 05:08 AM, said:

I'll have a map for y'all this evening. :)

That map better have the same 5 posters on the walls over and over and over and over....

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Don't forget a really nice brick texture on one wall, and on the other wall, there is a 8-bit texture with what looks like a 16 px by 16 px normal map on it.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 13 June 2012 - 03:32 PM

Now we need a DNF - a REAL DNF - Map pack to go along with it :) . Good shit dude!

I was gonna make some maps for this mod, along with some new Duke lines (from either a fan voice actor or I'll pay JSJ myself) but if you guys wanna throw some map ideas around thats awesome :)

• Honored Donor

Do you want to use the HRP or classic textures? Duke Nukem Eternity is already pretty close to a 'real' DNF, but if you're not using polymer or the HRP then this will be unique enough to stand on its own feet. Although DNF's levels were pretty flat, your levels could make great use of height variation, like in L.A Rumble. Large height variation really adds to the sense of scale and epicness. I would have recommended a Hoover Dam inspired level if I wasn't planning to make it myself some day Posted Image

Oh, and at least one space level. DNF was disappointing with its lack of space levels.

I was thinking about using my own textures, DNF textures and the HRP textures but I havent got to that yet.

As for the levels, I had space levels in mind when I started making this mod because the Space parts were my favorite part of DN3D and the Moon level in DNF was nice :)
I was thinking about having 3 episodes like DN3D :P

Ep1: Simple levels (linear but not DNF linear)
Ep2: Space setting (maybe from Space station to moon or mars)
Ep3: Havent decided yet (I had a thought of maybe an underwater setting like a underwater alien base or something)

User is offline   Ronin 

How about a level where you are actually fighting in a rocket heading towards the moon, with transparent panels so you can see stars and such passing by giving a sense that you are actually moving through space. You need to get to the control room to stop the Aliens changing course to their Home-world so you can go to the moon and mess up their plans. Has anybody made the Aliens home world in a mod, a city and the like?

This post has been edited by Ripemanewone: 13 June 2012 - 06:15 PM

• Honored Donor

View PostRipemanewone, on 13 June 2012 - 06:15 PM, said:

How about a level where you are actually fighting in a rocket heading towards the moon, with transparent panels so you can see stars and such passing by giving a sense that you are actually moving through space. You need to get to the control room to stop the Aliens changing course to their Home-world so you can go to the moon and mess up their plans. Has anybody made the Aliens home world in a mod, a city and the like?

Yeah the Imperium mod for Dukeplus represents the Aliens' planets quite nicely. I think you might have to introduce con code if you want to have sprites fly past the window like that. Unless you can cook up a very fast conveyor belt..

User is offline   Ronin 

View PostMicky C, on 13 June 2012 - 07:02 PM, said:

Yeah the Imperium mod for Dukeplus represents the Aliens' planets quite nicely. I think you might have to introduce con code if you want to have sprites fly past the window like that. Unless you can cook up a very fast conveyor belt..

Thanks I will check that out, I don't know anything about the work involved but could you do something like the tv screens in Duke 3D (where you see the OJ car chase ) where you have the general impression of something happening, like a short loop of stars and solar flares in the distance? The addition of the odd rumble would solidify the effect. The animation would not have to be so fast as from a distance thing appear to move slower.

This post has been edited by Ripemanewone: 13 June 2012 - 07:26 PM

Something like this would work perfect I think, just need a way of getting it in Build
Posted Image

Erm.... Problem, stars don't actually go past you like that in space, not unless you approach warp speed :)

Actually, you'll find the parallax skies are much more accurate. There is no reason you couldn't add that to build if you wanted though (realism sucks anyway, it might look cool!), you'd just need the individual frames and to use animtilerange and a few other things in a .def file.

Darn, I was going rip the individual frames for you but my image editing tools don't work when I have the intensity pro installed.

User is offline   Ronin 

Yes Wesker, if you could flip that vertical it would give the impression of heading up, looks great and has a cool depth to it, a few wide panels with that going on would be really immersive. Its all about the impression.

User is offline   Kathy 

Perhaps it is not my place to say about map/mod making, but "stars passing by" on a trip to Moon is just stupid.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostWesker500, on 13 June 2012 - 07:37 PM, said:

Something like this would work perfect I think, just need a way of getting it in Build
Posted Image

That wouldn't be too hard to achieve. What you need are multiple layers of masked walls moving. You may use some ugly hack in Build to achieve that effect, or use a CON code that modifies the offset of the wall picnum.

Of course the image you posted has only 40 frames, so you can just use an animated wall, if not a paralaxed sky.

This post has been edited by Fox: 13 June 2012 - 08:40 PM

User is offline   Bloodshot 

You know guys, there's a guy right on the gearbox DNF fan creations forum porting DNF stuff to Doom - so I'd wait till that shuts down to worry about porting stuff to Duke3D

Nice job so far

View PostBloodshot, on 13 June 2012 - 10:14 PM, said:

You know guys, there's a guy right on the gearbox DNF fan creations forum porting DNF stuff to Doom - so I'd wait till that shuts down to worry about porting stuff to Duke3D

Nice job so far

Cool, while the attention will be on that guy over there, we'll secretly work on this over here!

This post has been edited by VinsaneOne: 13 June 2012 - 11:05 PM

The other dead meat is in :)
Posted Image

User is offline   Martin 

This looks awesome as hell! Loving it.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options