Duke4.net Forums: What have you watched lately ? - Duke4.net Forums

• 22 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What have you watched lately ?  "... movie, TV show [may contain spoilers]"

User is offline   Hank 

Posted Image

Yes, yes, I know most of the criticism …
Still, I like her in the role she plays. Free, wild and unpredictable, not her fault it’s a very poor script writing.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I think you all missed Jimmy's irony. Thousands is a very low number.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 17 February 2022 - 07:30 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

My point, moreover, is that a movie doesn't have to be "good", it only has to make money. The Last Jedi was an absolute success because it made almost five times it's ~300 million dollar budget.

A traditional bad movie like Manos the Hands of Fate doesn't make money.

This post has been edited by Jimmy: 17 February 2022 - 03:16 PM

User is offline   Mark 

The only SW movie I came away from underwhelmed was the one with the red faced sith guy. He didn't come across as powerful and menacing. But overall I liked them all.

User is offline   jkas789 

View PostMark, on 17 February 2022 - 04:39 PM, said:

The only SW movie I came away from underwhelmed was the one with the red faced sith guy. He didn't come across as powerful and menacing. But overall I liked them all.

Are you talking about Darth Maul? That is episode 1.

User is offline   MObreck 

I find myself suspecting there will a "Spiderman vs Venom" movie coming up using the Garfield version of Spiderman. At least if Sony understands printing their own money over their own ego (Which is very possible they do not :P )

View Postjkas789, on 12 February 2022 - 08:05 AM, said:

The Goonies is such an awesome movie. Seriously, fuck Hollywood.

I feel very lucky being on the back bus of Generation X. Goonies wasn't just a childhood movie for me it was a my generation's childhood movie for me :D

Yeah, Goonies was also very important to me nostalgia wise. I remember watching that movie with my dad when I was a kid. It's a shame we will probably never see good kid friendly adventure movies ever again.

• The Sarien Encounter

Darth Maul was one of the coolest parts of Episode 1. My second favourite duel in all of Star Wars is the Duel of the Fates with Maul. However, he feels like a shallow excuse for a character "that the good guys need to fight" because they killed him off right away. He should have persisted. I'm not a fan of the Dooku character at all as a replacement.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostJimmy, on 17 February 2022 - 03:15 PM, said:

cut ...
A traditional bad movie like Manos the Hands of Fate doesn't make money.

Could not resist, and watched it. Yes, bad. But this is what B-Movies were like. It reminded me on the Drive-Ins offering dawn to dusk events, and three of the four were B class. Didn’t matter then. The movie either caused you to watch or continue loud powwow with your buddies, and time for more burgers and drinks, or some long chats with your girl.

But now, yes, money is god.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I almost exclusively watch B-Movies, Drive In Movies these days.

User is offline   Aleks 

Saw Matrix Resurrections with a friend yesterday. We were expecting complete shit, but it turned out to be a very positive surprise - the movie was a clever parody of the series, not only in the first part which was very meta and very vocal about being meta, but also further (I especially loved the nod to Star Wars with plotting a mysterious plan with lots of techno-babble culminated with a random super small vent that has to be targeted). It was basically the authors saying "yeah look guys, we did a cool action movie 20 years ago with some neat effects like bullet time, but also stuck it with some overblown philosophy, but seems you all really took it a wee bit too seriously!" :P Definitely better than the 2 previous sequels (which I honestly hardly remember anymore). A 7/10 for me, bonus points being awarded for how wacky the action scenes were, especially the "human bombs".

And just now watched The Batman at the cinema. Here I did have quite high expectations which weren't exactly met, but it was still well worth the watch. 3 hours passed very fast, I liked the idea of Batman being more of a detective, the visuals were brilliant and Pattinson really nailed the character (though I would change Wayne's haircut). However, the Riddler did turn out a bit too generic for my likings in the end, I was really hoping there would be one more plot twist with
Spoiler
And yeah, Farrell absolutely stole the show with his performance here, he didn't look or act anything like Farrell and if I didn't know he played the role, I wouldn't have guessed it. Either way the movie was really good, a strong 8/10 here.

User is offline   Phredreeke 

Last week I got a new iPad, and with it came a three month free trial to Apple TV+. While it’s selection is tiny, I began watching For All Mankind. It’s an alternate history series where the Soviets beat America to the moon. Last night I watched the season finale and it hits like a truck.

• The Sarien Encounter

Yeah, Resurrections wasn't near as bad as I was led to believe and expecting. It was alright. They stripped it right down from the epic-ness that Reloaded and Resurrections had introduced and brought it back to the first film's levels. It was enjoyable. It was also very self aware and meta but not in an overwhelming or corny way. It was good.

User is offline   MObreck 

A rather late comment on my part but I get a special kick out of the No Way Home scene where Peter is pummeling the Goblin only to watch in horror as he just laughs it off. I played tank spec PVP in an old MMO so I had a lot of moments were I was the Goblin. Some smug noob would attack me with their overpowered DPS class only to watch in horror as their attack combo that kills most players barely even affected me. There was even a /cackle emote I liked to use when someone was really failing against me. So it hit a bit close to home, so to say :P

This post has been edited by MObreck: 18 April 2022 - 11:57 PM

I'm watching the Magnum P.I. 2018 reboot. It's fine.

User is offline   Aleks 

Been to cinema last week to see The Northman and The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent. Both definitely worth watching. Eggers never dissapoints, I'd probably say Lighthouse was his best movie so far, but The Northman is just great. There's both the OCD dilligent caring for every smallest detail and a movie so epic and immersive with its sounds, music and cinematography that you just sit there and stare at the screen. The plot might be as cliche as it gets, which is no surprise considering what it's based upon, but still it's told in the most atmospheric and bloody way one could imagine, plus the hallucination scenes are neat.

As for "that Nick Cage movie", it was better than I'd expect - I'm really glad it didn't venture into dumb/toilet humour kind of comedy which I imagine it easily could, but rather kept to more clever humour and a plot that somehow resembled Adaptation., which is one of my favourite movies of all time (coincidentally or probably not really, also with Cage, or even 2 Cages...). Not that it had the fineness of Kaufman's writing to it, but I guess it didn't really have that ambition and just doing something in similar favour is always nice to see someone trying.

Also just finished the 3rd season of True Detective and boy, that was a very positive surprise considering all the bad reviews of it I've seen (well, kinda the same like with 2nd season, probably people got too comfy with how good the first one was). Really clever narration with 3 crossing time planes and still keeping a really good flow. And while the criminal plot was cool and all, especially with how intricately it was unveiling piece by piece, I gotta say I enjoyed the personal dramas and dialogues here the most.

This post has been edited by Aleks: 29 April 2022 - 02:51 PM

Saw Halo. Motherfuckers really went balls deep in raping my childhood with a dildo in the shape of a full grown sahuaro. I hate this so, so much. The only thing redeemable is the action and my brother in Christ, just because it is redeemable does not mean it is good.

Fuck this show. Burn it and everyone involved to the ground.

Oh boy! Can't wait for when Amazon fucks over the Lord of the Rings in June/July (AFAIK)!

This post has been edited by jkas789: 19 May 2022 - 08:02 AM

I didn't even watch the first eps of halo and I'm not even going to watch the series halo is dead, when 343 fucking took over halo 4 was great but halo 5 comes around and it was shit, halo 6 comes out cortona dies again arghh, I can't wait for season 5 of COBRA KAI.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

The new season of Kids in the Hall is very good. They didn't skip a beat, and it's pretty anti-woke without being cringe in the other direction. At one point Buddy Cole plucks a pride flag out of a potted plant and throws it on the ground. Funny little detail you'd miss if you looked away for a second.

User is offline   Aleks 

Watched "The Young Pope" and its sequel, "The New Pope" - and I'm pretty amazed, especially by the first one. It's both grandeur in the sense of scale, interiors, music or characters, yet also very subtle when it comes to the narrative, the dialogues and the message it conveys. Never knew Jude Law had such a large spectrum as an actor, definitely his best role. The series itself is very European though, Sorrentino did a magnificent job directing it, but it feels a lot like the festival cinema that could be shown in Cannes. And even as an atheist, I was surprised as how touching certain scenes can be on the emotions and how this thing manages to be a wit comedy rather than stepping on the tempting line of grotesque or easy critique of the Church.

• The Sarien Encounter

Stranger Things 3 is great so far. Watched 3 episodes so far. Each episode is gripping though and great on their own. There's a lot less filler content like so many shows have now.

Also started The Orville Season 3 today. Fantastic start. Reminds me of the TNG episode Family which took place right after Best of Both Worlds. The idea of dealing with the trauma and problems that take place after a major tragedy is dealt with quite well, but in a very different way from Family. I think it was great. Looking forward to more. Also great to see Norm MacDonald in what is probably one of his last gigs we'll ever see? I don't know that he had any other shows or films coming down the pipe.

Tonight my wife and I watched Murder on the Orient Express. I had seen it last year but my wife hadn't. Still good. Love Kenneth Branagh's portrayal and his direction is great (as was Johnny Depp!). I had started watching Death on the Nile while my wife was away but decided to stop and wait to watch it with her. Can't wait to get back to that one.

Top Gun 2 is Awesome love every min of it.

View PostAleks, on 02 June 2022 - 12:04 PM, said:

Watched "The Young Pope" and its sequel, "The New Pope" - and I'm pretty amazed, especially by the first one. It's both grandeur in the sense of scale, interiors, music or characters, yet also very subtle when it comes to the narrative, the dialogues and the message it conveys. Never knew Jude Law had such a large spectrum as an actor, definitely his best role. The series itself is very European though, Sorrentino did a magnificent job directing it, but it feels a lot like the festival cinema that could be shown in Cannes. And even as an atheist, I was surprised as how touching certain scenes can be on the emotions and how this thing manages to be a wit comedy rather than stepping on the tempting line of grotesque or easy critique of the Church.

Oh, gonna have to watch that one if your review is that good.

As for me, I have been watching the 1996 show Early Edition and I'm enjoying it very much. (o^▽^o)

User is offline   gemeaux333 

Have you watched Iron Sky lately ?

View Postgemeaux333, on 09 June 2022 - 07:59 AM, said:

Have you watched Iron Sky lately ?

Not lately no but I do like it. Wasn't there another movie that went along in a similar vein as this one? captain Sky or something? God it was yeasrs ago when 3D was still a thing.

This post has been edited by jkas789: 09 June 2022 - 10:46 PM

User is offline   Malgon 

Finished watching for the first time The Day After and Threads, two movies about nuclear war and the after-effects on society. Definitely a sobering look and still worth watching in this current day and age.

The first Iron Sky movie was released in 2012 :

It got a sequel titled Iron Sky 2 : The Coming Race in 2019 :

A third movie is supposed to be coming soon, Iron Sky 3 : The Ark

But if you ask when any Iron Sky movie is going to be released, the only answer would be "When Its Done"

The first Iron Sky movie also got a videogame adaptation back then, by our friends of Topware Interactive / Reality Pump (Earth 21X0 series and Two Worlds series) :

User is offline   Hank 

Heat (1995)
I’d call it a girly crime movie; it has action and drama, perhaps in todays world, a little slow, but I’m from yesterday … :P

Posted Image

The main story is a super cop hunts down a super thief gang.

Spoiler

Share this topic:

• 22 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options